• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Have you ever mistaken a characters gender?

Kurloz Makara

Red Death
I think I mistook Cheren as a girl when he was first revealed.

octoboy

I Crush Everything
I don't remember a lot of these, but I think I could agree to the Tate and Liza thing. I figured they were a pair of sisters as well. I actually think I got a pass on Bugsy and Harley because I read about them before actually seeing them. Bugsy in one of Tracey West's novelizations of anime episodes, and Harley in Dogasu's episode reviews.

What I do remember happening is mistaken assumptions on certain pokémons' genders in the video games. Some people tend to assume pokémon as male by default if they don't take a hard look at at their gender on the card or whatever. I have memories of my cousin referring to my female lotad as "he", and I actually assumed a female electrike I caught was male in Sapphire. Cue my hurriedly rushing to the Name Rater to change "Sparky"'s name to "Sparka". At least electrike are caught right by Slateport, so he was real close, right?

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Also, Bugsy and Yellow

You're talking about during the Yellow series with Yellow herself, right? That was the point, she was disguising herself as a boy to go on an adventure to find Red. If you're talking about before or after, though, that'd be less understandable, especially with that long ponytail.

I don't remember a lot of these, but I think I could agree to the Tate and Liza thing. I figured they were a pair of sisters as well. I actually think I got a pass on Bugsy and Harley because I read about them before actually seeing them. Bugsy in one of Tracey West's novelizations of anime episodes, and Harley in Dogasu's episode reviews.

What I do remember happening is mistaken assumptions on certain pokémons' genders in the video games. Some people tend to assume pokémon as male by default if they don't take a hard look at at their gender on the card or whatever. I have memories of my cousin referring to my female lotad as "he", and I actually assumed a female electrike I caught was male in Sapphire. Cue my hurriedly rushing to the Name Rater to change "Sparky"'s name to "Sparka". At least electrike are caught right by Slateport, so he was real close, right?

Speaking of confusing Pokemon genders, I was (and still am) positively baffled by the decision to make Braviary and Mandibuzz male only and female only, neither really looks distinctly gender specific.

MasterK

Just an empty shell
Bugsy all the way. With his purple hair and looks, I could've swore he was a girl.
And from that same generation, there's Will of the Elite 4. He's very...er, feminine. If his name was something neutral, I would've assumed he was a woman by the look of his sprite.

Whenever the coro coro issue revealed small pictures of Nate and Hugh on the cover, many of the forum users mistook Nate as the female player and Hugh as the male character instead of the rival.
But yes, as most have said, I too mistook Bugsy as a female until I played Soul Silver!

Honeyichigo

The manliest
Whenever the coro coro issue revealed small pictures of Nate and Hugh on the cover, many of the forum users mistook Nate as the female player and Hugh as the male character instead of the rival.

There were people who thought Hugh was the female PC based on that picture as well. Ah, good times...

PrismaticPrincessAnna

I'll do my Lilliest
Yes.

Bugsy as a girl, I was all "OMIGD someone put a shirt on that girl!" on this fanartt of him at the beach XD

Silver as a girl in Gen 2... COMON looks like he wore a cheerleader skirt, nya~

Meowth City

Staff member
Never, I swear. I'm very good at telling genders for some reason.

I honestly never got why people thought Bugsy was a girl. IMO Pokemon has always made the stereotypically assumption that girls hated bugs with Misty being its spokesperson. I even remember one Bug Catcher asking "why girls don't like bugs?". I guess there was that one dude in Petalburg Forest that said bugs would make them very popularr with the ladies, but I'm sure they added that to make the guy sound like a clueless loser. Therefore, it never made sense to me for them to add a female Bug-type gym leader. Sure, there are definitely girl trainers with bug Pokemon (e.g. the twins in Budsy's gym), but they don't LOVE bugs, do they?

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Never, I swear. I'm very good at telling genders for some reason.

I honestly never got why people thought Bugsy was a girl. IMO Pokemon has always made the stereotypically assumption that girls hated bugs with Misty being its spokesperson. I even remember one Bug Catcher asking "why girls don't like bugs?". I guess there was that one dude in Petalburg Forest that said bugs would make them very popularr with the ladies, but I'm sure they added that to make the guy sound like a clueless loser. Therefore, it never made sense to me for them to add a female Bug-type gym leader. Sure, there are definitely girl trainers with bug Pokemon (e.g. the twins in Budsy's gym), but they don't LOVE bugs, do they?

I think the reason why everyone thought Bugsy was a girl has to do with the haircut and art style.

JustCallMeKing

Prof. Oak has this problem pretty bad.

Bugsy... I swear I thought he was a girl...