• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Have you ever tossed your Starter Pokemon out of your team?

Phoenixfatih

I generally toss them in latter games of that generation, I didn't want to use any of the starters in B2 for example.

Kalosian

So long
I did not use a starter in White 2, I just picked Oshawott and stopped using it after I had captured a Riolu to use as a replacement for the rest of the game.

Chances are I did something similar before in FireRed and Emerald, can't remember exactly.

adamfitz

poké-lover
Never at all!
My first Pokemon of the game I don't have the heart to.
Pokemon for me is more about attachment and loving the game rather than completely competitive gaming.
Don't hgwt me wrong tho I love the competition

Shyy_Guii

Absol Fanatic
No! How can you bench the first pokemon you ever receive? That's evil!

firerank9

Aura All-Star
I have done it twice. First time was in Pokemon Colosseum with Espeon. The other time was it my first playthough of Diamond and it was Piplup. But I ALWAYS kept them for breeding purposes.

MuseHarmonia

~♥Raichu♥~
I do it all the time. xD I find someone better. I never trade it or actually get rid of it, I just replace it. ;-; That doesn't sound mean

shadorai

wandering trainer
yep. when i played black 2 the first time, i tossed out my servine at level 30, before the 3rd gym. there are just so many good replacements in that game.

Edawgzz2

Arceus
Yuss

always do. exept my original gold, where feraligtr pwnd lances dragons and shizz

Victory★Star★

Mega Victini?
Nice to know what everyone thinks!
Personally, I would NEVER Drop Blaziken, especially in 5th gen and above it learns moves that put it over Uber and OU!

Victory★Star★

Mega Victini?
Pretty much every time after about the 3rd gym. On some occasions I have kept it the whole time, but only if I couldn't find a better replacement.

That's why I did with Servine haha!
I always keep my starter until I beat the Elite Four and Champion for the first time. After that I usually train it to level 100 before tossing it out.

Thats a really good idea, unless you chose snivy like me haha

Victory★Star★

Mega Victini?
I have pretty much only heard peope tossed their Unova, and Johto starters! (snivy tepid oshawott chikorita cyndaquil and tododile)
Has anyone tossed Hoenn,Kanto,or Sinnoh????

Arlo

...and so on...
Outside of a Nuzlocke or monotype or something like that, I don't have a "team" other than whoever I've got with me currently. I just never even considered playing the games that way, and it's only been slowly that I've come to realize that so many (most?) other people actually use a set team.

I rotate constantly. I go into each gym with a team that's assembled solely for the purpose of beating that gym, and I go through the routes with... whoever. For traveling, I just try to have a good range of types so there are no threats I can't work around, and if it comes down to a choice between two or more essentially equal pokemon and I don't have any particular preference, I generally go with the one with the lowest level, so it can get the experience. I generally work out of a pool of 20 - 30 pokemon - less early in the game, but more just as I catch more and so have more I want to try.

Over the course of the game, I come to know the pokemon, and to learn who's more or less dependable, and the "team" starts coming together. By the time I get to the E4, I've got a pretty good idea of who's best in each role, and that's pretty much who I take with me when I face them. The starter has been a part of that group... maybe half the time, if that.

The starter's no more special to me than a starter car in a racing game. I only rarely move it down into one of the rubbish boxes, since they tend to be at least better than average, but they're rarely anything really special, so more often than not, they don't make it on the final team.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Not yet, although if we ever do get a game that reuses Kanto or Johto starters, that would be the first time, since I've used all 3 of both sets.

Pikafleg

Twenty-Six!
Yeah I never stop using it, ever, until I beat the leauge and all...then I might sub it out, especially if I want to train a lot of other lower levelled pokemon later, but i'll still use it again!

Victory★Star★

Mega Victini?
I've always kept my starter, except for my current playthrough of Black, where I traded a bunch of level 1's from Black2.
It was Tepig, so I don't regret it.

I LOVE YOUR SIGNATURE!!! (click he'll do it) XD

Iris Mist

Hylian Princess