• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Have you ever tossed your Starter Pokemon out of your team?

Ghosts of the Forums

Who Ya Gonna Call?
Nice to know what everyone thinks!
Personally, I would NEVER Drop Blaziken, especially in 5th gen and above it learns moves that put it over Uber and OU!

It was put into users because of speed boost.

I keep my starters around. I never release nothing, even though that has nothing to do in this conversation.

TheGreatGigInTheSky

The Jimmy Rustler
No, I never drop my starter. It is always there in my arsenal, because I feel a spiritual connection to the starter and the first few Pokemon I caught that didn't get cut after the second or third gym. But I usually cut someone around the 7th gym area to make space for the cover legendary.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Eh, I've done it a couple of times. I've found that it's easier when they're kept on team, though, since they're generally the most efficient Pokemon available in-game.

Victory★Star★

Mega Victini?
Eh, I've done it a couple of times. I've found that it's easier when they're kept on team, though, since they're generally the most efficient Pokemon available in-game.

Yeah but many pokemon can be much better especially in 5th gen!

Meowtastic

I use my starters through most of the game. Sometimes I put them in the PC and just use other pokemon. If I really don't like them, they turn into HM slaves. I started a new game on black 2, where i traded over newly hatched pokemon for my team, no starter pokemon ^_^

SoulMuse

Shadow of nothing
Yeah I have most recently done it on my Black 2, first time through. I tossed my Oshawatt, and more recently my snivy, because they just were cutting it. I don't do this often, but sometimes it is needed

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
every now and then when im doing the battle tower/frontier/subway. and wifi random battles. ingame however no my starter stays until i start to get serious about training for wifi battles and even then it makes appearences every now and then.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Yeah but many pokemon can be much better especially in 5th gen!

Most of the time, they're the most efficient Pokemon you can use in-game. They all have a good Exp. group and timely evolutions for their stat growths, which yield end BSTs between 525 and 535, and of course they're available earlier than anything else and require no hunting in grass, which makes it easy to reset for a good one. Even in Gen V, Samurott is still the best Water-type available outside of maybe Starmie (in BW2), but by the time you get that, you've already beaten Clay. Serperior may compete with Lilligant for the title of best Grass-type, but it has some advantages in that it has something of a more extensive movepool (especially with BW2 tutors), more bulk, and better Speed. Likewise, Emboar differentiates itself from Darmanitan by its Fighting-type, which helps against bosses such as Lenora and Drayden, the ability to go mixed, Flame Charge by level-up, and a better mid-game that doesn't worry about missing.

Last edited:

Archangel Azazel

Fallen Angel
Naw, I grow fond of them when I get them. They are cute and you already shared your first few battles with them <.>
I have thought about it though and.. naw I always end up using them :p

Indiana Slowpoke Guy

Slowpoke Obsessor
I always toss out my starter, except in Emerald, kept my Marshtomp for a while. I think the starter holds me back, so I get rid of it, Inever really cared for any of the starters except Squirtle. I wish Slowpoke was a starter.....

Draknir

Fear the Deer
Generally, no I don't. The only time I'm don't use my starter is when the rules of the challenge dictate I can't (Such as a Nuzlocke and it gets defeated).

carboncopy

(-) (-) (-) (-)
Yes, a lot. Generally I do 5-6 playthroughs of a game. In the first 3, I use one of the starters. Then in the 4-6, I use any of the wild pokes that are available early in the game, and dont use my starter.

Crimson Penguin

Marchin' on
The only times I've ever done this were in Black 2, where I wanted to take advantage of the huge variety of Pokemon; and in some of my Platinum monotype runs, where none of the starter types match the type I'm using for the challenge. Other than that, I always keep my starter on my team. It's tradition.

Validus

Many many times. Ever since Blue. not that should be a surprize, after the 10th+ time beating the game, starters become the most boring poemon in the game.

golduck#1

No it's way too hard. It's the first Pokemon you get so I just feel that it's mandatory to use it throughout the game.

CrusherTheFeraligatr

Strider: Spider King
Unless I'm doing a Operation: Screw starters file (I breed for a growlithe, phanpy, etc and trade it over as soon as the earliest trading requirements have been met and use it as my starter), I keep my starter, they tend to be some of my favorites. However, I might chuck gen 6's as soon as a good pokemon comes along.