• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Having a lot of Programs Not Responding

Sid87

I love shiny pokemon
Lately, I've been having a lot of Programs Not Responding, and things seem to be running slower in general. It's been happening to Firefox, Microsodft Word, and Google Chrome. I use Windows 7 on a Dell, and the computer is only a few months old (got it in November). When it happens, the program generally does not START responding again, and I have to force a shut down (if I try to Restart or Shut Down, the computer goes to the Shutting Down... screen and just stays there. It doesn't actually ever shut down).

Even if I got into Task Manager to End Tasks that are in Program Not Responding, they won't end. They just stay up in Not Responding.

I also have, and I saw this in Task Manager, 101 processes running! But I have no idea what they could be, because I've never installed anything on this laptop aside from Firefox and Chrome.

So what might I need to put an end to this and just improve the performance of my PC in general? Thanks in advance!

Oh, and if you need any more info, please just ask. I'm not sure if I might need to offer up anything else. :)

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
Lately, I've been having a lot of Programs Not Responding, and things seem to be running slower in general. It's been happening to Firefox, Microsodft Word, and Google Chrome. I use Windows 7 on a Dell, and the computer is only a few months old (got it in November). When it happens, the program generally does not START responding again, and I have to force a shut down (if I try to Restart or Shut Down, the computer goes to the Shutting Down... screen and just stays there. It doesn't actually ever shut down).

Even if I got into Task Manager to End Tasks that are in Program Not Responding, they won't end. They just stay up in Not Responding.

I also have, and I saw this in Task Manager, 101 processes running! But I have no idea what they could be, because I've never installed anything on this laptop aside from Firefox and Chrome.

So what might I need to put an end to this and just improve the performance of my PC in general? Thanks in advance!

Oh, and if you need any more info, please just ask. I'm not sure if I might need to offer up anything else. :)
Well, it really depends on what you're running, and what your hardware is. But here's a few things, I recommend doing.

Firefox and Chrome both slow down your PC if you've got MANY Addons installed. Remove the ones that you don't use. Same goes for tabs, more tabs mean more work. There is an option to reset FireFox, but keep most of the useful data: http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...most-problems?esab=a&s=reset+firefox&r=1&as=s I don't have Chrome installed but chances are you can do the same in that too.

Gadgets do run most of the time, so if don't use them feel free to remove them.

As for 101 Processes.. I'd not worry about it too much. I often get more than that. But if one program has really high Memory and CPU usage, it can stop every other program. If it's a certain (usually badly written) program you can usually find what it does and if you can fix or remove it. (On my system: I know that DAZ 3D will take all the CPU and makes Firefox hang. However, it's intentional as DAZ 3D only does that when it's Rendering, and making Desktop or bigger sized version of images such as seen in my signature, so I turn off Firefox on my PC and turn on the laptop or DS.)

I found that it's Normal for one game I own(TF2) to "hang" every time the game loads a new map. (Valve are working on a method out how to make it prevent this. And I know why it does it and how they're fixing it, the hard part is making it so it doesn't break your PC when they do it.) But it after a few moments it responds and my desire for hats is satisfied.

End processes instead of raping the End Task button. Go to the processes tab and kill the .exe's running the program. It's much more effective.