• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Having more filler does more than just screw with plot and pacing

Apslup

Feelin' Fine.
XY37, XY71, XY78, XY79, XY&Z05, XY&Z21, XY&Z22 were all extremely hilarious

Ok I agree that XY78, XYZ21 and XYZ22 are great episodes now that I look on them (I haven't watched XY in ages so my memory was a little foggy), but the rest are just meh for me.

I also don't even consider XY87 a filler because it's part of Bonnie's arc.

Now that I think about it, this is a genuine episode. Well spotted there man!

Last edited:

DatsRight

My general problem with XYZ 21 and 22 is that they are standard 'half finished' plot lines due to Team Rocket interfering, which always feel like the writers couldn't be bothered to think up a proper ending. It wasn't even in a way where them flowing into the story was relevant, something even some of the DA episodes like Team Rocket's Shocking Recruit did well.

That is something that bugs me about a lot of pre-SM Pokemon fillers, especially XY's, in that they can't handle the basic story flow of 'action - consequences - rectification' that even some pre-school shows get right, which means the characters don't really get new lights and development from handling a new situation. The formula always buffers them.

It's 'action - Team Rocket - story forgotten about'.

Hell even some main arc plots used this short cut, eg. the Goodra vs Florges arc.

Last edited:

Kintaro

Banned
The only time filler in the anime bothered me is in early/mid Johto, and some of the middle portions of AG and DP, but other than that I have no problem with it. Some fillers also have good humor or great battles in it. Even then AG and DP don't have that many pure fillers if you look through the episode lists, every other episode focused on the main cast, their pokemon, or a recurring character.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Kintaro said:
The only time filler in the anime bothered me is in early/mid Johto, and some of the middle portions of AG and DP, but other than that I have no problem with it. Some fillers also have good humor or great battles in it. Even then AG and DP don't have that many pure fillers if you look through the episode lists, every other episode focused on the main cast, their pokemon, or a recurring character.

AG and DP might've had less fillers than Jouto, yet I didn't think they were any better as far as quality was concerned. AG and DP's fillers still followed the same formula of having Satoshi and friends meet generic COTDs.

Kintaro

Banned
AG and DP might've had less fillers than Jouto, yet I didn't think they were any better as far as quality was concerned. AG and DP's fillers still followed the same formula of having Satoshi and friends meet generic COTDs.

Sure, but the eps generally felt more amusing because the pokemon on the cast and female companion were more lively and had funnier moments. Johto was just Ash interacting with filler characters with Misty/Brock just standing in the background either observing what was going on or making bland exposition comments.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
The filler of this anime prepares you to endure the absolute filler hell in Naruto shows.

Especially Naruto Shippuden fillers

I know right. The Naruto series makes Pokemon look tame (especially like the last 100 episodes of Part 1 being completely filler).

Filler in Pokémon has a bit different definition from filler in other anime, since it's not based on a manga, so I don't even really think the two can be compared.

DatsRight

Sure, but the eps generally felt more amusing because the pokemon on the cast and female companion were more lively and had funnier moments. Johto was just Ash interacting with filler characters with Misty/Brock just standing in the background either observing what was going on or making bland exposition comments.

Johto did have a better handled Team Rocket however, compared to the jobbers/plot interrupters there were in most series afterwards. Stuff like Wobbuffet's debut, the Stolen Stones and of course 'The Flaming Moltres'. This was the time Team Rocket were often treated more like the protagonists than the twerps themselves.

DatsRight

I don't know if it's just me, but early XY felt like a continuation of Decolore Islands at times with it's fillers.

I think it was the more effortful 'Ash vs Team Rocket' rivalry episodes, even if it was marred a bit by Ash losing a lot of his goofy side. The one where they dressed up as the twerps was OS worthy. Sadly they didn't keep that up for very long (besides rare ones like the Pokeball factory or Gadget festival episodes) and they went back to the same bare bones 'twerps do boring crap - TR interrupt - same one sided beating' structure.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Is it because of Serena not doing much between her debut and midway between gym 3 and 4. Because that period was really slow with just Ash working.
It was a struggle during that period imo, and people were justifying that it was realistic for her to take her time like that.

DatsRight

It was a struggle during that period imo, and people were justifying that it was realistic for her to take her time like that.

In fairness we did get the male companion doing more for once during that early period, and more TR-centric fillers that didn't suck.