• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Heart and Soul: The one shot Contest!

niedude

Don't forget to grin
Didn't someone already post a smilar idea?

And yeah, I couldn't finish my one shot because I got a 10 hour job --"

Maybe I will finish it anyway and post it here, since I actually rather enjoyed my idea.

Anyway, good luck to the contestants, and for the judges.
reading that much and still be interested and unbiasely avoid skimming through some fics will be a chore :O

pepperedfox

who's this n00b??
I didn't get to finish mine xD Volunteer work and juggling other stuff in RL interfered and all. If anyone cares, mine was about Jasmine, that Olivine Gym Leader, and her past. Yeah, it was a rather emo-ish story. I might post it up when I'm done with it and all.

... Duuuude o-o How do you people make such long one-shots? That's amazing.

Ejunknown

be creative
D:

Which is better? No entry, or messed up entry? XD

...My initial idea for this took me a while to come up with, as I could for the life of me not think up anything to do with Johto. xD; It's been way too long since I played the games - although I loved them. D: (...Although I enjoyed Sapphire the most out of those sets. XD)

And for the lols, my title was 'Giovanni is dead'. xD

My idea is rather centric around Morty/Mortimer, the psychic gym leader- as the pyschic gym leader. I couldn't remember much about him, but when I revisited my old games, he seemed quite flaky. XD (He was also somewhat self-righteous about the dogs, if I have it right?) So, the fact of who he was was meant to work in explaining the end. But as I ended up messing up the time and didn't put in the paragraph and general links through out it as I wanted to, it comes in more out of the blue then I'd hoped. ;n;

...I'll stop mourning my entry now and watch more of TrueBlood. :'(

Last edited:

purple_drake

E/GL obsessed
...My initial idea for this took me a while to come up with, as I could for the life of me not think up anything to do with Johto. xD; It's been way too long since I played the games - although I loved them. D: (...Although I enjoyed Sapphire the most out of those sets. XD)

And for the lols, my title was 'Giovanni is dead'. xD

My idea is rather centric around Morty/Mortimer, the psychic gym leader- as the pyschic gym leader. I couldn't remember much about him, but when I revisited my old games, he seemed quite flaky. XD (He was also somewhat self-righteous about the dogs, if I have it right?) So, the fact of who he was was meant to work in explaining the end. But as I ended up messing up the time and didn't put in the paragraph and general links through out it as I wanted to, it comes in more out of the blue then I'd hoped. ;n;

...I'll stop mourning my entry now and watch more of TrueBlood. :'(

Uh ... Morty is psychic--in the sense that he has a psychic scrying ability--but he's the gym leader of the ghost-type gym.

He's associated with the dogs because he's associated with Eusine in Crystal, but the only Legendary he's expressed real interest in is actually Ho-Oh--but he does say something about 'proving his worth' to Ho-Oh, so ... ;) I have to admit I did a double-take at the name 'Mortimer'; I've never really considered 'Morty' to be just a nickname. Heh, 'Mortimer'. You cruel person.

My story is essentially about change: it takes a (fanon) historical concept and shows how it's changed over time. I had a few other subtle themes too, though I'm not sure how well all of them came out, or even what they are, exactly. XD

Diddy

Renegade
My story is essentially about change: it takes a (fanon) historical concept and shows how it's changed over time. I had a few other subtle themes too, though I'm not sure how well all of them came out, or even what they are, exactly. XD

You see, that makes my slap-dash idea seem horrible.

I just listened to a song, got an idea for something, and started writing, then watched a plot sprout from the soil of my words.

pointless metaphor? Yes. Yes it is.

I obviously then chose a viable Johto backdrop and introduced an age old Johto stand-by to play his part, it's essentially a new spin on the old 'Chosen One' plot.

purple_drake

E/GL obsessed
You see, that makes my slap-dash idea seem horrible.

I just listened to a song, got an idea for something, and started writing, then watched a plot sprout from the soil of my words.

pointless metaphor? Yes. Yes it is.

That's just 'cos I left out the process. XD Actually, it was my fanon concept itself that was the story idea--I've been looking for a place to use it for ages. My initial idea for portraying it I wanted to use just because I thought it seemed different, and then I did something else simply because I had to, and then all of a sudden I was trying to layer all these subtle themes and symbols into it. What I ended up with is still really similar to the first idea, but the 'change' theme is almost the last thing that became clear from what I had (or at least, it became clear at the same time that all the other themes did, it was just the clearest of the lot).

The fanon idea itself prodded me to write something much longer, but it's something that would have been epically long and probably belongs more in a chaptered fic.

Diddy

Renegade
The fanon idea itself prodded me to write something much longer, but it's something that would have been epically long and probably belongs more in a chaptered fic.

I had to stretch mine to get it to six pages xD.

Although it could go on longer if it wanted to, it leaves a lot of things open.

purple_drake

E/GL obsessed
I had to stretch mine to get it to six pages xD.

Although it could go on longer if it wanted to, it leaves a lot of things open.

I know the feeling. XD I was actually really worried when my fic turned out to only be about eight pages long, since my one-shots usually turn out to be much longer and when I was imagining the scenes in my head they seemed to go on for a lot longer than they did on paper, so to speak.

Mine could go longer, but it would mean changing the focus of things, so as it stands now it's about as long as it could ever get.

Ejunknown

be creative
Uh ... Morty is psychic--in the sense that he has a psychic scrying ability--but he's the gym leader of the ghost-type gym.

He's associated with the dogs because he's associated with Eusine in Crystal, but the only Legendary he's expressed real interest in is actually Ho-Oh--but he does say something about 'proving his worth' to Ho-Oh, so ... ;) I have to admit I did a double-take at the name 'Mortimer'; I've never really considered 'Morty' to be just a nickname. Heh, 'Mortimer'. You cruel person.

D: This window just killed my whole reply. *headesk*

XD; I shouldn't associate the ghosts with psychic so much- but that was basically what my idea centered around; the idea of the ghost gymleader's control over the ghosts, and the ghosts themselves. xD I was also going to make a comment about his arrogance, in his position and his ability- but I didn't get to it in the end. xD; The idea of this could basically work with any of the psychic leaders who used ghosts as well - it was sort of my thoughts regarding this area.

Diddy- XD! I am happy I'm not the only one who put it in Johto, instead of entirely working in Johto.

That was a very vague way of putting it. xD; Although, this does make me like my original ideas better. I just wished I could have done a better job communicating it. D:

XD I may have just extended/given him a new name. I like it, personally. ;n; -But the important thing is: it fit the character better, in my opinion.

...Although it makes me quite happy that I went with 'Giovanni is dead' rather than my alternative 'Mortimer is dead'. xD;

...Drake, your idea is slightly fascinating. xD! I'd love to read your entry, when the judging is over. 83

You guys all put me to shame. D: My entry was five pages, six pages at the most after the edits I made before sending it off. Even if I had fleshed it out a bit more with what I missed out, I doubt it would have gotten past 7 pages. D: I need to relax up more when I'm writing and get past myself. XDD

Last edited:
I have a question: Did anyone try to use Symbolism, motifs, or any other more experienced literary elements? I used some in my peice, but I find that everyone normally writes their own meanings to symbols unless you give an official meaning to your used symbols.

If that counts, I was going to nickname all of the pokemon in the fight I was writting after figures in greek mythology, like Prometheus, Icarus, Nereid and stuff.

If you didn't, it doesn't really count =\. Besides, if you nickname someone a name of a greek god or something and they share the same traits, that's allusion.

Ejunknown

be creative
Hmm. In this entry, not really. I've kind of been in a phase of exploring human emotion, and whilst I tried to link my entry together, it is not a metaphor for something else, but an exploration of a concept in Pokemon. XD

Last edited:

Araleon

Chill
Hmm... I'm not entirely sure, actually.

I likely used the usualy similes and metaphors, probably some ironny here or there, but I can't remember for sure anything else. I'll go back and check later.

pepperedfox

who's this n00b??
I used the lighthouse in Olivine City as a symbol of Jasmine growing up and all. Yeah. That was fun...

purple_drake

E/GL obsessed
XD; I shouldn't associate the ghosts with psychic so much- but that was basically what my idea centered around; the idea of the ghost gymleader's control over the ghosts, and the ghosts themselves. xD I was also going to make a comment about his arrogance, in his position and his ability- but I didn't get to it in the end. xD; The idea of this could basically work with any of the psychic leaders who used ghosts as well - it was sort of my thoughts regarding this area.

You really seem to think he's really arrogant. Oo I'm honestly not sure where you got that from; as far as I can see he's not really any more arrogant than any of the other E/GLs, just really set in his goal and what he'd like the result of his power to be. And maybe slightly obsessed with Ho-Oh. Like Eusine is with Suicune. XD

And let's face it, E/GLs have a right to be confident in their power and ability. XD Though the games do tend to make them seem more arrogant with the whole 'get ready to be beaten' thing, and then with the gameplay making it so easy to do so ...

XD I may have just extended/given him a new name. I like it, personally. ;n; -But the important thing is: it fit the character better, in my opinion.

*shudders* No offence, but I think I'll have to seriously disagree on that point; it's probably partly my perception of him being fairly laid-back, but it just sounds too stuffy and old and arrogant for Morty.

Although that may be why he goes by Morty. 8D I can just imagine the day he and Eusine first met! 'Hello, my name's Mortimer! What's yours?' '... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!' '... D< Gastly, use [insert non-lethal attack]!'

*cough* Yeah, sorry, I realise I'm dissing a name you like, please don't kill me! *wibbles*

...Drake, your idea is slightly fascinating. xD! I'd love to read your entry, when the judging is over. 83

Aw, only 'slightly'? :p I kid. I do intend to post it, so thanks. ^^

I have a question: Did anyone try to use Symbolism, motifs, or any other more experienced literary elements? I used some in my peice, but I find that everyone normally writes their own meanings to symbols unless you give an official meaning to your used symbols.

*raises hand* My main one was juxtaposition--no matter how the story ended up forming itself, that would have been in it no matter what. Situational irony was the next one, but that was more of a, 'hey, irony would be fun and meaningful here, let's use it!' And I think I failed at it anyway. Add a dash of symbolism and there's mah fic.

Umbreon Ruler

Swim for your life.
.Bright Side. said:

I used some tiny, tiny thing (which nobody would notice unless I told them) that kinda makes the plot more complete but wasn't really necessary. It wasn't anything super clever, just something that popped into my mind and I threw in.

I'm not sure what it would be called, but if I explained it, it would give away the whole plot.

Ejunknown

be creative
The idea of this could basically work with any of the psychic leaders who used ghosts as well - it was sort of my thoughts regarding this area.

It's sort of my stance on this? My idea was around Pokemon trainers, and ghost trainers in particular, and I took a darker view. Maybe a bit too dark, though, after watching an episode of the anime. I went off of the view I received from him in the games; where his speech was formal, and he appeared more intense.

"Good of you to have come. Here, in Ecruteak, Pokémon have been revered. It's said that a rainbow-colored Pokémon will come down to appear before a truly powerful trainer. I believed that tale, so I have secretly trained here all my life. As a result, I can now see what others cannot. Just a bit more... With a little more, I could see a future in which I meet the Pokémon of rainbow colors. You're going to help me reach that level!"
"I'm not good enough yet... All right. This Badge is yours."
"I see... your journey has taken you to far-away places. And you have witnessed much more than me. I envy you for that..."

The arrogance stance of Mortimer in paticular was my own view of him, and I am now glad I didn't develop t further. xD; What my entry brushes on is the arrogance of Pokemon trainers in general. Not in particular Morty - although my opinion of him, from what I can remember from the games, was more arrogant, which I saw in his ambition, and intensity about his ambition; and I further thought that his psychic ability would further increase it. I missed the mark there. xD; However, the arrogance of him as a Ghost pokemon trainer, and that alone, was what I focused on.

XDD Seriously, after watching the anime and seeing his character there more clearly, I definitely see where you are coming from about 'Mortimer'. Although, in what I said before, I meant in this story- Mortimer fit the character better. As his full name, not that he'd call himself by it.

In my entry, I don't believe I have subverted his character. I portrayed him as I saw him, yes, but whilst he is more serious, he is not a different person. He's just a man. He's a gym leader, so experienced, and it's several years in the future, and a darker take on this. My entry was a comment on arrogance in the end, but arrogance in my view, as I've said before.

Hmm. We'll have to see how it comes out. xD;

XDD This discussion is actually quite pointless without me being able to fully explain the idea or put the entry. Oops. xD;;

D: Although I liked my ideas going in, by god, did I screw it up. xD; It's a train wreck. .___.;;

Last edited:

Bay

YEAHHHHHHH
Hello, lovely people. Glad all of you are enjoying yourselves while you're waiting for the results.

All righty then, quick progress post here. As you know, Golden is on vacation until the 9th of this month. Before he left though, he let me be in charge of this contest and look over things for now until he gets back. So if any of you still have any concerns, you can post here. If the concern is a bit private though, PM me, Breezy, or elyvorg.

How I'm doing so far? I got twenty entries reviewed so far. :) However, this month and next month is going to be busy for me so I'm not sure if I'll be able to have the entries be finished before I head back to school on September 24 (that's my deadline to get all of the entries read and reviewed). I know Breezy's ahead of me by a few. XD Golden, he got nine done. elyvorg, not sure her progress at this moment.

And oh, I'm trying to think of a Johto one shot for you guys to read while you wait for the resutls. :p Watch out for that!