• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Heart and Soul: The one shot Contest!

niedude

Don't forget to grin
That's it, I have been out of the fan fic industry for too long, consider me in on this!

It won't be award winning, but it will help to take the rust of my skills and stop the lazyness corrupting me :/ (I blame TV <.<)

And I already have an idea ^^

Oh, question (though I probably won't need the answer, it never hurts to ask) we can use evolutions from Johto's native pokemon, like Togekiss, but can we use baby staages of Johto pokemon, like Azuril and Wynaut?

I suppose its a yes, but its good to ask, especially since my entry will probably be battle-centric.

LinksOcarina

The true master
I need to try too...provided I can do one while i'm writing and reading for grad school. Thats more on me than anything else though.

M-Dub

Μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω ᾿Αχιλῆος
EDIT: Sorry, count me out. I'll have to wait.

Last edited:

Jason-Kun

Question: Are refrences to other regions allowed? Or should we just not do that at all?

Bay

YEAHHHHHHH
Don't know about the other judges, but I'll be fine with references to other regions. What we ask for is for the setting of your one shot to be not in any other regions except for Johto.

Hope everyone is doing fine with their one shots. :) That HGSS trailer should motivate you all to get to work on your stories! XD

Last edited:

Scizor King

Scizor owns you.
I'm in. Started writing mine, got a good page and a half so far. Luckily for all of you, I've improved greatly from the big, steaming pile I called a fanfic three years ago.

Air Dragon

Ha, ha... not.
Sounds interesting... count me in. One question though: any idea what the character limit for a PM is? just so i know how much to go into...

L@er!

elyvorg

somewhat backwards.
The limit is something like 20,000 characters, but we don't mind how long it is. We've already had one entry that needed to be split into two parts. Just make it as long as it needs to be and split it up if you have to.

Jason-Kun

My entry has been sent. Good luck to all the other contestants.

Last edited:

Air Dragon

Ha, ha... not.
Last Question: You said that pokemon from other generations other than (pre-) evolutions of the pokemon up to Generation 2 are not allowed. What about attacks from later generations? are they allowed, or is the limit on move pools restricted to up to Generation 2 as well?

Thanks, got a good grasp of what to write. just need to clean this up and i can know exactly what to do.

L@er!

Concept

Führer of Fun
...Did anyone else have such trouble as I did with coming up with an idea that they liked? XD; I couldn;t stick to one idea, and everything I had managed to come up with previously always turned out to be in the Hoenn region instead of Johto.

You're far from it. I'm still not sure which of my two ideas to go with. I've written both of them, so I'll PM my entry as soon as I can decide which one to submit :s.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
If we're writing in an uncommon timeline, should we explain things or will that just stand? Also, are inter-franchise crossovers OK? Like if I want to have Kaede (from PokeWake) and Domino (from the anime) in the same fic, would that be OK?

FlamingRuby

The magic of Pokemon
A question--could we use other gen Pokemon that also appear in Johto, or do the Pokemon invoved have to be "native Johto" Pokemon?

Breezy

If we're writing in an uncommon timeline, should we explain things or will that just stand? Also, are inter-franchise crossovers OK? Like if I want to have Kaede (from PokeWake) and Domino (from the anime) in the same fic, would that be OK?
I'm fine with this so long as it follows:

... your story must be set in Johto and their can’t be any Pokemon or people from later generations.
I'm not sure what generations these people are from, but as long as they're not people from the third or fourth generation, you're fine.

A question--could we use other gen Pokemon that also appear in Johto, or do the Pokemon invoved have to be "native Johto" Pokemon?
Going back to the rule I quoted, the only pokemon you're allowed to use is pokemon from the first or second generation. Ideally, this means only pokemon from Kanto or Johto (to make it simpler, pokemon from R/B/Y and G/S/C) are allowed. The ONLY exception to this rule is if the pokemon is an evolution or prevolution of a native Johto/Kanto pokemon.

Ex) Sneasel evolves into Weavile. If you were to have a weavile in your fic, that would be fine.

Other examples that are okay:

Azurill -> Marill
Togetic -> Togekiss

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
I'm fine with this so long as it follows:

I'm not sure what generations these people are from, but as long as they're not people from the third or fourth generation, you're fine.

PokeWake doesn't go beyond second gen (unless you count one of the characters possibly being on a card in the Rising Rivals set, but I wouldn't be writing about him anyway). Domino is from Mewtwo Returns, which was set in Johto.

Chozo

My Serebii face
20 pages on my story so far and still not done =|

HEY GAIZ GUESS WHO THE JUDGES ARE REALLY GOING TO HATE

And since we've asked like 20,000 questions about "what does no post-Johto Pokemon really mean" I figure I'd ask one more: what about passing references to Hoenn/Sinnoh Pokemon that aren't seen or mentioned again?

Taking a line from my entry so far:

It took her a moment to realize that the forest was eerily silent: not even the Kricketot were chirping.

Only time Kricketot get mentioned, and only for flavor purposes, basically (ie it's not just quiet, it's REALLY QUIET FOR SERIAL). This would still be keeping within the spirit of the rules, right?