• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Heart and Soul: The one shot Contest!

Breezy

Let's clarify what we'll accept in one huge *** post that people will probably forget by the time we hit the next page, but you all can yell that Breezy posted it somewhere, and it'll be like a scavenger hunt except more boring and no prizes, and there's only one item to search for, and it's not even a neat item, like an old coin or something, and I'm trying to make this sentence as long as I can; it's not really working because I'm running out of things to say. Granted, this is what I'm accepting. Some other judge can butt in and kick me if they disagree.

• Pokemon only from the first and second generation are allowed. Ideally, this means that pokemon only from the Kanto and Johto region are allowed, or the pokemon in R/B/Y or G/S/C
  • Pokemon that have prevolutions or evolutions of a first or second generation pokemon are allowed. For example, writing about ambipom, the evolution of aipom, is okay since aipom first appeared in the second generation. Happiny, the prevolution of chansey, is also okay since chansey came before the second generation
  • References to pokemon in the third generation and fourth generation (or Hoenn and Sinnoh) that ARE NOT connected to a Johto pokemon via an evolution are okay. This might vary per judge, but try to limit yourself and only use it for description purposes; don't put a lot of emphasis on it.
  • Pokemon in the third and fourth generation (Hoenn and Sinnoh) cannot be the focus of your story
  • The only people that are allowed are from the first and second generation. For example, people like Professor Oak, Gold, Lance, Eusine, or any of the gym leaders in the Kanto or Johto region are fine
  • You MAY reference to other people in later generations, such as Professor Rowan, but they cannot be the focus of your story
  • Your story MUST be set in Johto, however references to other region are okay
Againnnn, it may vary per judge. Vary. Per. Judge.

This contest, like Psychic said, is Johto-based, not Johto-exclusive. The only rule we're really enforcing is that it is set in Johto.

We've have some entries that had to be split in two PMs so far, Chozo, though I'm not sure how long they are. Try not to kill us. =P

Chozo

My Serebii face
Thanks for the clarification.

We've have some entries that had to be split in two PMs so far, Chozo, though I'm not sure how long they are. Try not to kill us. =P

This could be a 3 PMer. Maybe 4.

Yeah.

Like I said, you will hate me.

Last edited:

Chozo

My Serebii face
22 pages and still not done. That makes me meta.

Good sir, are you challenging me to literary fisticuffs?

Cuz we can go fisticuffs because I am the Hadoken and I am down right fierce.

Bay

YEAHHHHHHH
Oh, yeah?! Mine's thirty pages.

ignore the fact that I can't enter anyway
Hah, remember my one shot for the Laughingstock Contest and it's like thirty pages? XD; And also, I too am writing a Johto one shot, but only as an example to inspire some writers here. ;) That and I actually got inspired from some of the entries that were send in. XD

Make your margins smaller. There. Twenty five pages easy.
Margins AND font. :D

Two possible entries over twenty pages? This should be interesting. *strokes chin*

To make this post not spam, over the concern on references to Pokemon and People from other generations, like Breezy I'll be fine with them. However, I too might be more critical if you reference them too much. How much is too much? It's more or less so depending on the judges (as for me I will mention if I think you referenced too much on later geneartions and my reasons why). Also, not sure if it's been mention, but items and attacks from later generations are fine too. If I'm wrong on this though, someone (judges or anyone here), let me know.

Last edited:
Good sir, are you challenging me to literary fisticuffs?

Cuz we can go fisticuffs because I am the Hadoken and I am down right fierce.

*strokes chin* Perhaps.

To make this post not spam, over the concern on references to Pokemon and People from other generations, like Breezy I'll be fine with them. However, I too might be more critical if you reference them too much. How much is too much? It's more or less so depending on the judges (as for me I will mention if I think you referenced too much on later geneartions and my reasons why). Also, not sure if it's been mention, but items and attacks from later generations are fine too. If I'm wrong on this though, someone (judges or anyone here), let me know.

Good, now my post isn't spam. Huzzah.

Llama_Guy

Awesomely awesome
Is Pokémon POV okay?

And can I use a story I've written before as long I've never published it on the Net? AKA something I wrote for a school essay once?

Last edited:

Llama_Guy

Awesomely awesome
I'll hold my submission until further notice, then.

Bay

YEAHHHHHHH
It can’t be an earlier work that fits the criteria.
Well, I would assume earlier work meaning something you posted already (for instance, my Johto one shot Hounds of Goldenrod, which I can't enter because I posted it already). On the other hand, I could be wrong.

So Llama Guy, I would be fine too. I even remember one member from an earlier contest that had unfinished one shot but then he finishes it for the contest, turned it in, and the judges were okay with that. However, it's best to to wait and see what Breezy and Golden have to say on this.

Llama_Guy

Awesomely awesome
Okay, then. I have now forwarded it to Golden.

Last edited:

Starlight Aurate

Just a fallen star
Hey, just out of curiosity, is anybody else having trouble finishing their ending? Because on my last paragraph, I just can't think of what to put. I type out one ide, scratch it, then try another. I cannot seem to find the write way to end mine, which is weird because I usually don't have problems ending chapters or stories.

Anyway, when I'm done, should I forward it to all of the judges or just one of the judges?

Bay

YEAHHHHHHH
Hey, just out of curiosity, is anybody else having trouble finishing their ending? Because on my last paragraph, I just can't think of what to put. I type out one ide, scratch it, then try another. I cannot seem to find the write way to end mine, which is weird because I usually don't have problems ending chapters or stories.

Anyway, when I'm done, should I forward it to all of the judges or just one of the judges?
PM the entry to Golden and then he'll PM the entry to us.

And starliteevee, I had the exact same problem with the ending of NE. I have written like, ten versions of that ending until I was satisfied with the one I posted now. XD

Umbreon Ruler

Swim for your life.

That's probably a good thing. Never settle for less than your best. ;) [/almostrhyme]

Llama_Guy

Awesomely awesome

In fact, I think the end was the only thing I really knew how I wanted to write >.<

Llama_Guy

Awesomely awesome

In fact, I think the end was the only thing I really knew how I wanted to write >.<

FlamingRuby

The magic of Pokemon
I'm having trouble with the beginning for once. I have the mystery, the Pokemonized folk tale that sets up the mystery, but have no clue how to start the thing.

Bay

YEAHHHHHHH
FlammingRuby, one way is to just write the scenes you look forward writing to and then have the beginning build up from there. That way, you have something written already and also you have an idea how you want the story to start. You don't have to write at the very beginning. I actually have done that with some scenes from NE.

Last edited: