• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Heart and Soul: The one shot Contest!

Air Dragon

Ha, ha... not.
Thanks for the heads up, Bay. No matter what happens.

Best of luck to you judges too... I know it ain't easy. i've been there.

30 entrants, hunh? That IS a lot. have fun! ^_^

L@er!

Diddy

Renegade
Good luck to all.

lol, my entry is six and a half pages long, easy to read for you poor over-worked judges *pats on back* take your time people.

TotalPotato

Vegetable of Doom!
Typically, on the morning after my entry, I realised that I should have written "Meowth" instead of "cat". Thankfully, it's just descriptive, so it shouldn't cost me TOO many places. ;)

Good luck, everyone!

Golden

Four more entries won't hurt so I'm accepting the entries from Air Dragon, Araleon, katiekitten, and Ejunknown.

Now, time is up, and we are accepting no more one shots. Judging may take a while, since we have thirty entries and I'm practically a newbie, so please be patient. Remember, you can't post your one shot until the results are posted. Thank you.

Last edited:

Starlight Aurate

Just a fallen star
Good luck to all 29 other entrants! After reading these posts, I'm ashamed...mine was less than two pages on MS word ;-; I typed it into my e-mail program since my MS word is screwed up, and it took me a few days to complete.

Good luck to everybody!

Araleon

Chill
Four more entries won't hurt so I'm accepting the entries from Air Dragon, Araleon, katiekitten, and Ejunknown.

Now, time is up, and we are accepting no more one shots. Judging may take a while, since we have thirty entries and I'm practically a newbie, so please be patient. Remember, you can't post your one shot until the results are posted. Thank you.

Thank you, Golden!

Good luck with the judging, and good luck to all contestants.

Air Dragon

Ha, ha... not.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Good luck, everyone! What, I said that already? Ah well, doesn't hurt to say it again...

L@er!

Koridojo_Blaziken

^^ Thanks for the support Bay. I'm in the process of finishing sending mine. I wasn't sure how many words/characters was exactly 20000 and I wanted to get the one-shot in, so there may be a lot of shorter PMs from me. Sorry.

I got to 34 pages single-spaced on MS Word! That's the most I've ever written!

EDIT: Ok, all of my PMs are sent! <crosses fingers> Good luck to everyone. This was a fun contest. I'm actually content with my one-shot. Now, if I could only find someone in real life to read it... My friends are a bit intimidated by large amounts of reading...

O.O

Holy crap.

How...how on earth did you manage 34 pages?!?! I only got eight on mine...suddenly I feel like a dwarf.... ;_;

Yamikarasu

Wannabe Hasbeen
I had 3 pages, but I was not using Times New Roman so it was probably a little more than that.

The contest is finally over! I doubt I'll win but it's only my first contest so that's to be expected. :p

Good luck to everyone!

Araleon

Chill
O.O

Holy crap.

How...how on earth did you manage 34 pages?!?! I only got eight on mine...suddenly I feel like a dwarf.... ;_;

Honestly?

... I'm not sure. I just wanted the story to end. Hey, eight pages is no small feat! I remember my entry for the Tragedy Contest was, like, three. :/ And sometimes, shorter is better. Like when it comes to proofreadinging. Which I'm a bit apprehensive about how well I did...

Besides, iof you want to see a large amount of writing, Chozo wrote 48! o_O

Ooh, good question .Bright Side., can we?

katiekitten

The Compromise
Thaaaaank you Golden! And all of the judges. *hugs and gives cookies*

I don't think we can like splurge out the entire plot, but probably can mention focus- mine may have been an interpretation of the 'Rockets. xD' It only reached ten pages, in the end. The thing was, my plot kept on changing. :x

Chozo

My Serebii face
Besides, iof you want to see a large amount of writing, Chozo wrote 48! o_O

Haha, by the time I was finished editing it was 50 (well, 49.2ish to be more specific).

FlamingRuby

The magic of Pokemon
50 pages? I'm impressed!

Makes my 14 page long episode of Kochou look like a children's book.

How long did it take you to write all that?

TotalPotato

Vegetable of Doom!
I've got to say that I'm a little puzzled about this 50-odd page fanfic. I thought that a one-shot was meant to be a story that was impossible to break down into chapters. Something that has to be presented as a single section of writing for it to work. At least, that's the criterion that I was working from. How can such a long story achieve that?

Bay

YEAHHHHHHH
Actually, in the Laughingstock Contest, there was one entry that was over forty pages. Also, my one shot for the Roses and Chocolates Contest got to thirty pages. :O I guess sometimes the stories will go long if the plot calls for it.

So yeah, good luck to everyone and hopefully I'll be able to review the rest of the entries in a couple weeks or so.

Draco Malfoy

-REaction
Actually, in the Laughingstock Contest, there was one entry that was over forty pages. Also, my one shot for the Roses and Chocolates Contest got to thirty pages. :O I guess sometimes the stories will go long if the plot calls for it.

So yeah, good luck to everyone and hopefully I'll be able to review the rest of the entries in a couple weeks or so.

Lol, I think my entry was the forty page one. I feel so guilty for starting the trend of long entries. But hey, I got third place from that contest, so I'm satisfied.

Bay, I remember your entry. It wasn't THAT long; Encyclopika (one of the judges) reckoned that the "Little Mermaid" entry was longer (the entry that got fourth), so you were off the hook. Still, all those long entries in the R&C contest really did discourage me from one-shots for a while... XP

Anyway, I wrote 13 pages for this contest, so hopefully the judges go for quality, not quantity (not that my entry is any good in the first place. T.T)

And good luck to the other contestants and the judges - you'll need the stamina and the Red Bull, and this is coming from a former judge of a one-shot contest. Effing Miltank, you guys have twice the number of entries that the R&C and Laughingstock contest had. Ouch.

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
About long short stories, there's one called Heart of Darkness that, in about 10 point font, took up around fifty pages of my textbook. Don't remember exactly. I never learned a strict divide between novellas and short stories.

Good luck everybody! And thanks for your effort, judges. I'd play some music for you, but I'm afraid all I've got at the moment is They Might Be Giants.