• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Heart of the Sea [revised edition]

Bay

YEAHHHHHHH
Anyone remember Heart of the Sea, my very first fanfic story? Well, I posted it back in February of 2006 and the story was all finished and posted in August of the same year. However, I reread parts of the story and I loved it, but hated all the grammatical mistakes, awkward sentences and instances of implied DamusxAries shipping. D: So yeah, I decided to rewrite the whole story and also put in a new thread because I have made some big changes. Plus, many people did that with their one shots, so why can't I do a redo thread of my story even though it was posted XD

So anyways some things to note. For those that read my other fanfic, Nothing, Everything, sorry to say, but this story is not plot driven. This is actually more character driven and meant to be a parable story, so at first there won't be action. However, the characters will interact with each other a lot, so there will be character development coming in. Another thing, also unlike NE this is a much shorter story, so it’ll range somewhere between 7 and 10 chapters (not sure the breakdown yet). One last interesting note is that yes, this story is inspired from Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway. Great, great, great book. GO. READ. THAT . STORY. NOW! ;D

Next, at the end of the post, I’ll put in a spoiler the changes I did from this version and the original version. I actually would like it if you guys check out the original version if you haven’t done so and compare the differences. If you don’t want to though, that’s fine. ^^

This fic is rated PG-13 for instances of violence later on in the story. Pokemon killing and eating one another, fo sho. XD;

Nothing else much to say but enjoy this little parable of mine. Also, I want to thank bobandbill for the great beta work. Last time I didn't have a beta. ^^;

(speaking of Nothing, Everything, I'm also in the process of rewriting the story too, but it's nothing much that merits its own thread. Just a few dialogue and grammar mistakes and adding five new scenes. If you guys are interested in the new scenes though, let me know and I'll just point them out to you the new scenes in PM so that you don't have to reread NE to find them :3 ).

Index
(these are the tentative titles and chapters- subject to change any time. )
Chapter One: Obeying Your Parents
Chapter Two: Calamity of the Sea
Chapter Three: A New Threat
Chapter Four: The Crusade Against the Fish
Chapter Five: Once Again
Chapter Six : Lovely Last
Chapter Seven: The Big Catch
Chapter Eight: Struggling to Home
Chapter Nine: Reflecting and Remembering

Heart of the Sea: A Parable

CHAPTER ONE: OBEYING YOUR PARENTS

“A tenth branch of the king’s ordinary revenue, said to be grounded on the consideration of his guarding and protecting the seas from pirates and robbers, is the right to royal fish, which are whale and sturgeon. And these, when either thrown ashore or caught near the coast, are the property of the king.”
-Blackstone​

A storm was brewing in the island city of Harman. It was late at night and many people and Pokémon were hurrying to their homes to avoid getting caught in the storm. Unfortunately, some of them slipped and fell. In a small home, one pale faced woman just finished cutting carrots and putting them in the pot. Betty was cooking dinner while her husband Markus looked outside the window from their living room. Not too far from him, the television was still on, the weather woman explaining tonight’s forecast.

Luckily I’m not in the storm, Markus thought with a chuckle while observing the chaos outside. Being soaked was not his idea of fun.

“Right now it’s forty-five degrees with the wind at fifty-five miles per hour and there's two inches of rain. Also, the clouds are moving pretty fast so the rain should stop in a couple of hours.”

After pulling a strand of her red hair away from her left eye, Betty saw her husband looking through the window, his freckled face showing great interest. Not even the warm bath smell of her soup would make her tall husband snap out of it. That was the least of her worries, though.

“Markus, why are you still looking through the window? Also, if you’re not watching the television anymore, why don’t you turn it off? You’re wasting electricity!”

“I can hear the television, can’t I?” Markus answered with a chuckle.

“Markus!” Betty yelled slowly but in a harsh tone. She gave him a stern look.

“Just joking, Betty. Anyways, I’m worried about Aries, Shelgon, and Damus.”

Betty sighed and shook her head before continuing to cook dinner. Aries was Betty and Markus’s twelve year old son and Damus was an old Pokémon fisherman who was friends with both her husband and her son. During the summer, Aries would always go help Damus catch some fish, but most of the time the fisherman couldn't catch anything save for old boots. Sometimes, Betty thought Damus was the unluckiest person in the world for she believed that even her own son was more capable of catching more fish pokemon by himself."

“I don’t know why Aries would want to be with Damus. That man hasn't caught any fish lately."

"Maybe wrong season to be catching fish? It's winter now, you know."

“I know, but I hear the other fishermen are able to catch them. I liked Damus better when he was a Pokémon coordinator, and he was a real good one too." Betty paused to take a taste of her soup. She cringed when she tried it because it was too hot, so she continued stirring. "I'm afraid Aries will get bored of fishing with Damus."

Markus was about to protest, but his eyes suddenly grew wide with excitement. He saw four shadowy figures coming by, moving as fast as their muddy boots could handle. There was one small boy, one man taller but not by that much, and two Pokémon coming.

"It's them! They’re finally here!”

“What?” Betty asked, turning around, only to jump slightly and gasp when her spoon dropped on the floor.

The husband rushed to the door and opened it. The figures that Markus recognized facing in front of him were Damus on the left, Aries on the right, and both Manectric and Shelgon in the middle. All four of them were breathing deeply and small clouds kept coming out of their mouths each time they took a breath. Markus’ mouth twitched at first, not liking that all four of them were soaking wet and muddy, but then he smiled, hoping it would warm their spirits.

“Hi, Mr. Bluewell,” Damus said before yawning.

“Hi, Dad,” said Aries, tired as well.

“Hey, guys! Come on in before you catch a cold!”

Markus let Damus, Aries, and their Pokémon come inside the house. Damus didn’t seem surprised at the look of the house, having been inside the place a few times already. Aries and Shelgon went to sit on a long sofa next to a black marble table while Damus went to sit on a smaller sofa with Manectric on his lap. Markus went to the kitchen where his wife was while Aries, Damus, and their Pokémon began watching the news.

“Betty, will you go get the towels?”

Betty could already feel her patience dwindling. All of a sudden, she stirred the soup faster. One of her eyes was half closed and she wanted to yell at her husband for wanting to get the towels while cooking dinner. Now long after, Betty let out a quiet sigh as her facial expression changed from mad to understanding. She closed both of her eyes and smiled.

“Sure, I’ll get them right now.”

Markus nodded and went back to the living room while Betty moved towards the bathroom. While Betty was getting the towels, Manectic looked at the pictures on the wall. There was one picture of Aries and Shelgon outside at a beach close to Harman. The picture had been taken a few months ago while Shelgon was just a Bagon. There was also another picture of both Damus and Aries holding a Seaking. The Seaking was a light orange color instead of dark orange like other Seaking, a shiny. Manectric’s eyes then turned to Betty, hearing the soft footsteps coming from where the bathroom was. Betty came back with the towels and gave the towels to Damus and Aries, the two drying themselves immediately.

“Thanks for the towels,” said Damus in a low voice.

“You’re welcome,” Betty said before going back to the kitchen to finish cooking dinner.

While Damus was drying his Manectric and Markus continued to watch the new, Aries was staring out his window at the pounding rain. Aries thought about letting Damus stay here for a couple of hours—or at least until the rain stopped. Aries knew Damus could go outside on his own with his Pokémon helping him, but he didn't like the idea of risking his pokemon's health by having them outside in dangerous weather. Seeing Damus’s Manectric wet and shaking from being cold was good enough.

When Aries came inside the kitchen, he saw that his mother was stirring the chicken soup into a silver pot. The small pieces of fresh lettuce, carrots, and the chicken slowly absorbed the hot water. Aries took a deep breath before speaking.

“Mom, is it okay if Damus stays here for a couple of hours or so until the rain stops?” Aries whispered, his shoulders stiffed and his fingers twitching.

“Why? Damus can go outside on his own,” said Betty while still stirring the soup.

“I know, but after seeing his Manectric all wet, I don’t want them to catch a cold.”

Betty stopped stirring the soup and looked at Damus’ Manectric, sleeping on the man’s lap. The fisherman was slowly petting Manectric’s fluffy fur. She could hear Manectric growling slowly but sweetly, its mouth showing a cute smile. After seeing Manectric being comfortable in the living room, she smiled, having already made her decision.

“All right, Damus can stay, but only until the rain stops,” said Betty with a smile.

Aries hugged his mother and whispered, “Thank you, Mom.”

Betty grinned and hugged her son back. Later Aries went back to the living room and began scratching Shelgon’s chin while waiting for dinner.

About half an hour after the two men and their Pokémon came inside the house, it was dinner time and everybody was eating in the dining hall. The dining room boasted a black cabinet that displayed exquisite dinner plates. The fireplace next to the cabin burned brightly; in general, the room was very warm and comfortable. Everyone enjoyed the chicken soup, even Manectric and Shelgon. It was all peace and quiet until Markus broke it.

“So did you two and the Pokémon catch anything today?”

Aries was about to speak with his mouth full but Damus put his right hand up.

“Wait until you finish eating, Aries,” Damus said nicely.

Aries nodded, understanding it was bad manners to talk with your mouth full. After finishing his carrot, he answered, “No Dad, we didn’t.”

The father frowned. “I’m sorry about that. Maybe you two will catch more fish tomorrow.”

“We would have stayed out a little longer but we left because of the rain,” Damus said, his face showing disappointment. He then glanced at his fingers tapping the table.

“So you guys are going to fish again tomorrow?” Markus asked.

“Of course! I wouldn’t go fishing with anyone else besides Mr. Craig!” Aries cheered.

Betty suddenly stopped eating her soup and her cheeks blushed slightly. One of her eyes was half closed and her mouth quivered. It was hard for Betty to contain her anger. The woman took a couple deep breathes and spoke slowly to her husband.

“Um, Markus, can I talk to you for a minute in the living room?”

Everyone, including the two Pokémon, was confused to why Betty would want a private talk with her husband. After a moment of dead silence, Markus spoke first.

“Sure. Excuse us.” Markus and Betty got out of their chairs and walked inside the living room.

“Aries should go fishing on his own from now on," Betty whispered.

Markus’s eyes widened. “Why? Aries really likes it when he fishes with Damus," the man protested, whispering also.

“I know, but I’m afraid that if Damus doesn’t catch a fish for a very long time, pretty soon Aries will wonder why he has been fishing with him.” While talking, she pointed at the old man.

“I know, you told me this already." After Markus sighed heavily, he looked at Aries and Damus talking while Shelgon and Manectric were playing together. He smiled, glad everyone was happy together. "Well, it has been forty days so far with no fish being caught, but Aries seems to be still very happy.”

“Forty days is not long enough. When a year has gone by, then Aries will get it in his head that fishing with Damus is a waste of time.”

Markus was about to say something but he wasn’t able to speak. After thinking for a short while, Markus turned around to look at his wife. His facial expression was of utter defeat.

“I guess you’re right. He may be happy right now, but two years from now he'll get depressed.”

Betty grinned, her smile being remarkably large. “Good. I like to hear that. We should go back to the dining room.”

While the two walked towards the dining room, Markus saw Damus talking to Aries about one of his contest battles. Aries’ eyes were filled with anticipation and excitement. As Damus’s story progressed, Aries liked the story better every second. Markus gave out a weak smile. In his heart he knew that Aries would stick fishing with Damus until either one of them died, but Markus didn’t want to argue with his wife.

When the husband and wife were in the dining room, Damus had stopped telling Aries the story. Both Damus and Aries’ eyes shot forward towards Betty and Markus. Betty was the first one to speak.

“Um Aries, your father and I have been talking and we decided that tomorrow you will not be fishing with Damus. Instead, you will go fishing by yourself.”

Aries’ eyes turned wide and he felt his heart beating in anxiety. “Why?”

Markus was about to answer that question but Betty cut in. “We believe it's a good idea to catch some fish alone so that you don't need to be thinking you wasted your time fishing with Damus.”

After hearing that, the boy felt a fire inside his heart. He wanted to scream like he never screamed before and tell his mother why she would say such a thing to Damus, even with him in front of her nose. Just then Aries looked at Damus and stopped himself from voicing his opinion. While looking at Damus, Aries saw how his eyes were filled not with sadness or anger, but with forgiveness. He gave out a slight smile. Aries was surprised that Damus was very calm, despite his mother’s words. Whenever Aries saw Damus like that, he thought he must be the most relaxed and patient man in the world.

“I have to disagree with you. I would rather fish with Damus," the young boy said slowly and nicely to his mother.

“You ‘re disagreeing with me?” said Betty in a slow but loud voice.

“Yes. Besides, you think I would be happier fishing alone? I don’t think so. I believe that the reason you don’t want me to fish with Damus is because you don’t like him.”

Damus shook his head and closed his eyes, hearing the two arguing. “Well Betty, if Aries still wants fish with me, then let him.”

Betty’s cheeks became flaming red and she held her right hand up, as if she was about to slap Damus. When she yelled at Damus, Manectric and Shelgon stopped eating and listened to the commotion, both creatures showing confused expressions.

“Are you a parent of Aries? I don’t think so. I am the one that thinks what is best for my son, not some old Pokémon fisherman who can’t catch a fish!”

Damus’s eyes didn't change after Betty’s negative statement to him. Aries’ mouth was open wide. He knew his mom could be hot tempered at times, but not like this. He felt he was losing his patience, but his face didn’t show any sign of this. Instead, he frowned sadly and he hung his head down in disappointment.

“So I’m not going to go fishing with Damus?”

“No. You are going to fish alone and that’s that,” said Betty in a firm manner.

Aries slowly turned around to see Damus, the old man's eyes still looking sad. Damus knew that Aries was expecting some sort of support for him, whether it was screaming at his mother or agreeing with him. Instead, Damus said something that surprised Aries.

“Sorry Aries, I can’t help you here. Your parents are the one that chooses whether you go fishing with me or not. If I were to take you fishing without your parent’s permission, then they would be mad at the both of us.”

After hearing Damus saying that, Aries could have just screamed at him for choosing his parent’s sides, but he could not get himself to do so. If he were to scream at Damus, then the two might argue and it could be a chance that Damus might not want to fish with him forever. Despite hating what Aries said, Damus was a wise friend and he respected him.

“I guess you’re right. All right then, I will obey my parents.” After Aries finished saying that, Damus’s eyes brightened, his heart a little happier.

Oh gawds, did a few changes this chapter:

-Last time this story had a prologue. However, when I reread the story I'm not liking how the prologue didn't feel like one, so I mashed that part with Chapter One.

-Changed Damus' last name from Everstone to Craig. Everstone stounds...too much like how a fantasy character's last name would be. D:

-Loads and grammar and description changes, basically.

Last edited:

Manchee

extra toasty
Okay, I've never read the previous version of this, and I don't think I will, but I will definitely try to read each chapter and reply to them as well.

Grammar is up first ;3

Bay said:
During the summer Aries would always go help with Damus on catching some fish.

It would sound better as "help Damus catch some fish."

Lol it's 12:34 a.m. here, and I don't remember the rest of the grammar mistakes >< I'll look for them tomorrow, but I remember there being one instance where you have a comma after the word 'but' instead of before. And I'm not sure if it's entirely correct, but when you have a name ending with 's' and you make it possessive you still add the second 's' after the apostraphe; there are some cases where you don't need to, like if you're talking about a family who's last name ends with 's' and there's something that belongs to all members of the family, like "That's the Squarepants' house!" and things of the like.

But I could be entirely wrong on that, my English teacher didn't really make it quite clear, lol.

I honestly was a little bored by this, and I don't know if it's because I'm very tired or because I just wasn't as interested in it as I am with some other Fics atm. I might read it again tomorrow when I've rested, and I might post more gramar mistakes too.

I think it was just because like you said, this chapter didn't have much action. Plus, Betty's response to things when she was angry bothered me a bit and her actions seemed a little out of place and/or weird... if that's makes sense, haha. I do like the idea of this though, and I find it an interesting beginning.

Although I'm a little confused with the whole conflict over not fishing with Damus, even if it make Aries happy...

Palcks~

Bay

YEAHHHHHHH
Hey, Buraddo! Nice of you to come by!

Real quick about the apostrophe thing, you could be right on that. I was thinking the same way. I'll check up on that and then will edit the chapter if I did it wrong.

I can understand if you're bored of the first chapter. Here's the thing-this story isn't like Nothing, Everything. There won't be much action due to Heart of the Sea more of a parable stories and parable stories are less action, more character interactions and theme development. I hate to say this, but just because this story won't have action doesn't mean it'll be a bad one. Sometimes you have to look beyond the action. I'm trying to make the plot progressed so that at least the characters are not standing around in one place, but just know for this story the plot isn't going to be the main factor.

As for Betty and the conflict...well, I mention this story is inspired by Old Man and the Sea and in that story both parents of the boy in the story didn't want him to fish with the old man anymore because he hadn't caught a fish in a while. If you want, read the summary of that story at Sparknotes. :p And oh, actually Aries isn't happy about it but he's going to obey his parents to make Damus happy.

Sorry if this story isn't your cup of tea like Nothing, Everything. Quite a lot of people liked the original version due to it being different. I guess not too many people will like this version because they read NE and will wonder why I'm suddenly going on a different direction. o_O

Manchee

extra toasty
Bay said:
Real quick about the apostrophe thing, you could be right on that. I was thinking the same way. I'll check up on that and then will edit the chapter if I did it wrong.

Okay, I really wasn't sure wince I've seen a whole lot of people do it, and I;m not sure if it's one of those things where so many people do it like that that it's become okay, sort of like the oxford comma or whatever it's called.

Bay said:
I can understand if you're bored of the first chapter. Here's the thing-this story isn't like Nothing, Everything. There won't be much action due to Heart of the Sea more of a parable stories and parable stories are less action, more character interactions and theme development. I hate to say this, but just because this story won't have action doesn't mean it'll be a bad one. Sometimes you have to look beyond the action. I'm trying to make the plot progressed so that at least the characters are not standing around in one place, but just know for this story the plot isn't going to be the main factor.

Alright, I'll think about that when I read the next chapter. In all honestly, I think that once there are more chapters and I read more into this I'll begin to like it more :)

Bay said:
As for Betty and the conflict...well, I mention this story is inspired by Old Man and the Sea and in that story both parents of the boy in the story didn't want him to fish with the old man anymore because he hadn't caught a fish in a while. If you want, read the summary of that story at Sparknotes. :p And oh, actually Aries isn't happy about it but he's going to obey his parents to make Damus happy.

Okay :P

Bay said:
Sorry if this story isn't your cup of tea like Nothing, Everything. Quite a lot of people liked the original version due to it being different. I guess not too many people will like this version because they read NE and will wonder why I'm suddenly going on a different direction. o_O

Well hopefully not many people are like that and you get some good reviews for this :)

~*~*~*~*~*~

Okay, I read this over again, and this little section of the review is for new comments and those grammar mistakes/things that I think could sound better.

Bay said:
A storm brewed in Harman City. Because it was one of the islands in the Hoenn region, the waves kept hitting the beaches and soaking the sand. The small markets were closed and many people with their Pokémon tried to go inside their houses as fast as they could. Unfortunately, some of them slipped and fell. In a small home, one pale faced woman just finished cutting carrots and putting them in the pot. Betty was cooking dinner while her husband Markus looked outside the window from their living room. Not too far from him the television was still on, the weather woman explaining tonight’s forecast.

I'm only commenting on this part because I love this introduction. Maybe it's because I love the rain so much that I can really picture this and I love the feeling I get when I think of a family inside on a rainy day with a hot meal being cooked while the tv is on, lol.

Bay said:
Not even the warm bath smell of her soup would make her tall husband snapped out of it.

Snap.

Bay said:
“Just joking, Betty. Anyways, I’m worried about Aries, his Shelgon, and Damus.”

This is just a nitpick, but because most people here on Sppf describe Pokémon with nicknames this way (i.e. We watch Nick and Elodeon, his Ditto, run though the street away from Mr. Smith...") it made me think that Shelgon was named Aries. I think that since you describe later on that Shelgon is Aries's Pokémon you could get rid of 'his' in this sentence. You could leave it though, because it is completely correct the way it is.

Bay said:
“I don’t know why Aries would want to be with Damus. That man hadn't caught the fishlately."

Eep o_O Lol I think it should be "...hasn't caught any fish lately."

Bay said:
Markus rushed to the door to the entrance of the house and opened it.

I'm assuming 'to the door' and 'to the entrance of the house' would have him going to the smae place, so you don't need both of them ;P

Bay said:
All four of them were breathing deeply and small clouds keep coming out of their mouths each time they took a breath.

Kept.

Bay said:
“Hello, Damus and Aries!” Markus said.

“Hi, Mr. Bluewell,” Damus said before yawning.

“Hi, Dad,” said Aries, tired also.

“You two are all wet. You all better get warm before you guys will catch a cold. Come inside.”

I don't know if it's just me, but what Markus says in both parts of his dialogue seem rather awkward. If one of the two people is his son and the other is an old friend, I'd assume he would greet them more casually instead of saying both their names. I also think his second bit is very stiff and stating the obvious. Maybe just have him say "Hey guys, comeo n in before you catch a cold!" or something like that. Again, this is just a nitpick that you don't have to change P;

Bay said:
Markus let Damus, Aries, and their Pokémon come inside to the house. Damus didn’t seem surprised at the look at the house, having been inside the house a few times already.

You don't need that first bolded part, and the second should be changed to 'of.'

Bay said:
Aries and Shelgon went to sit on a long size sofa next to a black marble table while Damus went to sit on a smaller sofa with Manectric on his lap.

I don't think you need 'size' here, and if you kept it I think it would have to be hyphenated with 'long.'

Well there you go ;D I did like this a tad better after reading it over, lol.

Palcks~

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
“A tenth branch of the king’s ordinary revenue, said to be grounded on the consideration of his guarding and protecting the seas from pirates and robbers, is the right to royal fish, which are whale and sturgeon. And these, when either thrown ashore or caught near the coast, are the property of the king.”
-Blackstone

Interesting quote to open the story. Whale is considered a fish? That intrigues me.

The small markets were closed and many people with their Pokémon tried to go inside their houses as fast as they could.

Something about this sentence feels a little off. Maybe it's too long.

Luckily I’m not in the storm, Markus thought with a chuckle while observing the chaos outside. Being soaked was not his idea of fun.

I can't look at Markus/Marcus whatever the same way anymore. You know why.

“Right now it’s forty five degrees with the wind at fifty five miles per hour and rain pouring down two inches above ground.

"Rain pouring down two inches above ground?" What does that mean?

Betty sighed and shook her head before continuing cooking dinner. Aries was Betty and Markus’s twelve year old son and Damus was an old Pokémon fisherman who was friends with both Markus and Aries.

Damus and Markus.... it's too perfect. Did you do this intentionally? XD

“I don’t know why Aries would want to be with Damus. That man hadn't caught any fish lately."

Wrong tense, should be "hasn't."

Markus rushed to the door and opened it. The figures that Markus recognized facing in front of him were Damus on the left, Aries on the right, and both Manectric and Shelgon in the middle. All four of them were breathing deeply and small clouds kept coming out of their mouths each time they took a breath. Markus’ mouth twitched at first, not liking that all four of them were soaking wet and muddy, but then he smiled, hoping it would warm their spirits.

Could use some description of Manectric and Shelgon.

Damus didn’t seem surprised at the look of the house, having been inside the house a few times already

Using "house" twice is a little repetitive.

“Mom, is it okay if Damus stay here for a couple of hours or so until the rain stops?”

"Stays," not "Stay."

she smiled, already made her decision.

"having already made her decision."

Anyway, I'm glad to see this back. This was one of my first fics when I joined and it's nice to be able to read it again.

Maze

I review too!
Hey Bay!

This first chapter has given me a good feel for the characters introduced even though I don't have very precise images of them. I was engaged for the duration of this first chapter because I feel like it's a good mix of personalities to create some interesting scenes. I didn't really understand the weight of the conflict, though. I think more development on the history of the son's fishing with oldman Demus would've created a greater sense of patience in Demus, a greater anxiety in the mom's tone, and just heightened the impact of the chapter's closing.

Thanks, see ya when the next chapter comes out!

Bay

YEAHHHHHHH
Real quick, thanks Burrado_Aipom and The Great Butler for the grammar mistakes! Fixed them. :3

Burrado_Aipom: Glad you like it better in the second read through! :3 Also, hopefull the NE readers will like it too! :3

The Great Butler: No, it isn't intentional. :p Seriously, Damus and Markus I thought up of those names in 2006. That time... the 9th movie came out? o_O So yeah, sorry. XD;

Maze: OMG! Long time no see! :3 Thanks for liking the interactions! I had fun writing this too. You know, now I think about it, I probably should have done a bit of history of sorts. Love doing those kind of things in NE. ^^; I actually did that with Chapter Two in a flashback, so hopefully it'll be good. :)

Again, thanks you three for the review! Heh, still a few grammar mistakes, but at least it's not like last time...*shudders at the original versions' million tense mistakes* Chapter Two I'll hopefully get it ready in a couple of weeks, but school is fast approaching for me so it might be a while. D:

Divinity_123

shove 'er in! ;O
Hmmm, I remember this fic a while back when I first joined spp...although, with that said, I never did read it. So here I am now I guess ;)

The story itself is fairly interesting so far. I remember reading Old Man and the Sea a while back, but most of it has escaped me. That said, I do know the premise of the story so catching the references and similarities hopefully not be too hard.

A storm brewed in Harman City. Because it was one of the islands in the Hoenn region, the waves kept hitting the beaches and soaking the sand. It was late at night, so the markets were closed. Many people with their Pokémon tried to go inside their houses as fast as they could. Unfortunately, some of them slipped and fell.
Bolded parts are unnecessary, but the one about people slipping and falling is amusing lol

Some sentences sounded awkward (especially in the opening paragraph) and I think that if you simply connected some of the brief ones, it would roll off the tongue better. Also, some information in the opening paragraph are trivial and seem unnecessary (i.e. the part about the markets being closed). Maybe something like, "A storm was brewing in the island city of Harman. It was late at night and many people and pokemon were hurrying to their homes to avoid getting caught in the storm etc."

Anyways, Betty seems to be more worried about her husband having the TV on than the fact their son and Damus aren't home yet when there's a storm brewing outside :p Oh and one last thing, I'm quite confused about the opening quote... So the King isn't going to protect the sea and its contents anymore? Or is it the other way around?

Looking forward to the next chapter, good luck.

Last edited:

Bay

YEAHHHHHHH
Divinity_123: Hey! Heh, I think many people remember this story too, but haven't read it. :p Also, yeah there will be similarities between this story and Old Man and the Sea, so see if you can catch them! XD

Ack, still awkward sentences? That is what got me in trouble in Nothing, Everything. >.> Sorry to ask, but can you pinpoint those sentences to me? I want to have this story with as little awkward sentences as possible. ^^;

As for that line, basically the king will protect the sea and its contents. Also, if anything like trash is thrown in, it's his to keep. :p

Thanks for the review!

Shadow Lucario

Lone Vanguard
Bay said:
"Maybe it's not the right season to get the fish? It's winter now, you know."

I'm thinking this is more of a statement. I repeated it over and over in my head and I can't hear an inflection in it.

“Hi, Dad,” said Aries, tired also.

Also sounds weird here. Try as well. Little sidenote; my US History teacher's name is Mr. Also XD

Manectric’s eyes then turned to Betty, hearing the soft footsteps coming from where the bathroom was Betty came back with the towels and gave the towels to Damus and Aries, the two drying themselves immediately.

The bolded part can be its own sentence.

“I know, but after seeing his Manectric all wet, I don’t want them to get wet or catch a cold.”

Kinda late for that isn't it?

“No dad, we didn’t.”

Just nitpicking here, but since dad is being used as a proper noun it should be capitialized.

Markus’eyes widen.

Since Markus ends with an 'S' sound instead of a 'Z' sound it should be "Markus's" and widen should be "widened".

Just then Aries looked at Damus and stooped himself from voicing his opinion.

Stopped.

While looking at Damus, Aries saw how his eyes were filed not with sadness or anger, but with forgiveness.

Filled.

“Well Betty, if Aries want to still fish with me, then let him.”

I'm thinking it should be, "If Aries still wants to fish with me,"

Aries slowly turn around to see Damus, the old man's eyes still looking sad.

Turned.

It's an interesting start. I never read the original. Most of the mistakes were small ones that most people make. I wonder if Aries will actually obey his parents (or should I say his mother) and not go fishing with Damus anymore. I'll stick around and see in the next chapter.

Until then, I'm out.

Divinity_123

shove 'er in! ;O
Ack, still awkward sentences? That is what got me in trouble in Nothing, Everything. >.> Sorry to ask, but can you pinpoint those sentences to me? I want to have this story with as little awkward sentences as possible. ^^;
They weren't a whole lot really, I think some have already been posted but I'll show you some...

Betty sighed and shook her head before continuing cooking dinner. Aries was Betty and Markus’s twelve year old son and Damus was an old Pokémon fisherman who was friends with both Markus and Aries. During the summer Aries would always go help Damus catch some fish. Usually Betty doesn’t approve of Aries going fishing with Damus because most of the time the fisherman couldn't catch anything save for old boots. She believed Aries could catch more fish Pokémon when alone then being with Damus. Sometimes Betty even believed that Damus was the most unlucky person ever.
Not sure if first bolded sentence is grammatically correct or not, but "continuing to cook dinner" sounds better.

You already explained that Betty was the mother of Aries and wife of Markus so instead of listing their names again, you can simply put "who was friends with both her husband and her son."

The next part after that, you begin to describe Betty's thoughts on Aries going fishing with Damus and this seems rather off because the sentences are abrupt. There's no flow from one sentence to the other. It'll make much more sentence if you combine some sentences to make it sound better. For instance, "Sometimes, Betty thought Damus was the unluckiest person in the world for she believed that even her own son was more capable of catching more fish pokemon by himself."

Betty could already feel her patience dwindling. All of a sudden, she stirred the soup faster. One of her eyes was half closed and she wanted to yell to her husband for wanting to get the towels while cooking dinner. Not long after, Betty’s facial expression changed from mad to understanding. She closed both of her eyes and smiled
at

And maybe you can add in a part where Betty's sighing in transition from being mad to understanding. "Now long after, Betty let out a quiet sigh as her facial expression...etc."

While Damus was drying his Manectric and Markus continued watching the news, Aries looked outside the window, rain still pounding hard on Harman City. Aries thought about letting Damus stay here for a couple of hours—or at least until the rain stopped. Aries knew Damus could go outside on his own with his Pokémon helping him, but he doesn’t like the idea of having Damus letting his Pokémon be out in that kind of weather and get hurt. Seeing Damus’s Manectric wet and shaking from being cold was good enough. After staring at the rain for a couple of minutes, Aries decided to ask his mom first if Damus could stay inside. Aries got up, told his Shelgon to stay where he was and went to the kitchen.
"Aries......helping him, but he didn't like the idea of risking his pokemon's health by having them outside in dangerous weather."

"As Damus was dried his Manectric and Markus watched the news, Aries stared out the window; watching as the rain pounded Harman City.|

or

"While Damus was drying his Manectric and Markus continued to watch the new, Aries was staring out his window at the pounding rain."

Last bold is unnecessary.

I noticed that you regularly use the same names one sentence after another. Instead of Aries let's say, you can use "the boy", "he" etc.

As for that line, basically the king will protect the sea and its contents. Also, if anything like trash is thrown in, it's his to keep. :p
I thought as much, thanks for the clarification ;)

Anyways, those are some right there. I don't think all of the sentences/paragraphs I quoted were necessarily wrong, it may just be my personal preference. Sorry, but I couldn't pinpoint them all (most of them were questionable anyways), I just wanted to show you the ones that stuck out the most to me. Not to mention, it's 4 in the morning and I need some shut eye.

Good luck again and update soontime!

Bay

YEAHHHHHHH
Shadow Lucario and Divinity, thanks for looking through the tense and awkward sentences. Those two grammar mistakes are my enemies. >.> I’m trying to

BAH, took me a long time to edit this chapter! x_x I’m actually supposed to be studying for my midterms…>.>

Anyways, next chapter here. Yes, I have been reading aloud to check for awkward sentences, but I think I missed a feel. >.> I’ll love you guys if you can catch a few of them XD; Also, sorry if this chapter doesn’t have much plot progression. Remember, this story is totally different from Nothing, Everything. However, the next chapter should have a bit of plot progression going.

Speaking of Nothing, Everything, support it for the 2009 awards! :p Jacob will shoot you if you don’t! :p

Want to thank bobandbill for the great beta work for this chapter. Okay, now the next chapter!

Chapter Two: Calamity of the Sea

The sun's rays pierced through the clouds, illuminating Hoenn's Harman Sea. Waters swayed gently like a slow-moving dance while the warm breeze picked up. Fishermen would cheer each time they caught a fish, but there was no celebration from one boat.

Two men, one young and one old, lowered their heads. Their lines were in the water, but no fish had taken their bait since they had begun, their legs already feeling cramps from sitting still for several hours. They were silent until the old man sighed.

"We haven't caught a fish for... how many days now?" Damus asked.

Aries gazed at the sky, as if he was waiting for something to fall. "Thirty-nine days, I believe." There was a hint of sadness in his tone.

"I guess we're used to this now, huh?" the old man asked slowly in a serious voice.

Aries just glared at Damus, causing the man to look at him with wide eyes.

"What's the matter?"

The boy stayed silent, unsure what to do. He wondered what Damus’ reaction would be if he told him the truth. Then again, Aries had always known the man to be a reasonable and patient person, so he knew there should be nothing to be worried about.

"I think Mom won't let us fish anymore." Damus' eyes widened, but before he could say anything Aries continued. "She keeps asking why you don't catch any fish and that you might have bad luck. The other fishermen from the restaurant thought the same."

Aries sighed once more. It had been thirty-nine days since the two caught anything, which hampered their spirits. Betty knew that had been going on for some time, but she wasn't the only one. Many fishermen ridiculed him for that.

Suddenly Damus laughed. The younger fisherman stared at Damus - he hadn't expected his friend to react in that way.

"Me, bad luck? I don't think so." He sighed blissfully and shook his head. "Maybe I'm not that great of a fisherman."

The boy felt heartbroken when he heard his friend say that, his head hanging down. Was his friend losing his self-esteem?

"Don't say that! You're a great fisherman! A fisherman isn't about just how many fish you catch...."

"And you're right on that," Damus suddenly interrupted, the boy still staring at him. "I fish so that I can relax, enjoy the sea, and spend some time with you and my Pokémon." He turned around and winked at his friend.

Aries was speechless and gazed at his friend admirably for a long time. The old fisherman may be frustrated he couldn't catch a fish right now, but in the end that didn't matter to him. All the man wanted was fresh air and some company. The boy grinned.

"Let's promise that no matter what, we'll always fish together." The young fisherman held his pinky out after he said that.

"Promise." Damus nodded and curled his pinky around Aries'.

They didn't know the next day Betty would do something to separate them.

While it was still raining outside, things calmed down in Aries’ house. Betty talked to Aries’ oldest sister Kerri on the phone while Manectric slept on the living room’s carpet. Aries groomed Shelgon as he listened to Damus and Markus talking.

“Sorry my wife had acted that way to you. She can be as hot tempered as a Gyarados, but she's a sweet woman most of the time. She wouldn't hurt a Weedle.”

“That’s all right,” the old man said without smiling. He was okay if Betty didn't like him at all, but it still left a small sting on him.

What does Betty have against me?

“It’s just that I want her to be more supportive of you. I hate seeing her hurting you time and time again.”

Damus nodded, understanding the situation. “I see. Don’t worry, I’m used to Betty hating me already.”

Markus raised his eyebrows, wondering why his friend said that. “She just thinks fishing isn't for you."

"Oh," Damus said in realization. At first he wasn't sure what to say, surprised Betty would think that. The fisherman then closed his eyes and smiled. "She just needs to realize I can't get fish all the time, even after forty days."

The fisherman gazed out through the window, noticing the rain had stopped. The ground was covered by puddles of sparking water as dark clouds continued to hang over Harman City, threatening to let lose once again. The old man chuckled to himself.

“Hey Markus, it stopped raining. I better get going now.”

The man looked outside, and then turned to Damus and smiled. “All right then. Hope you have fun on your fishing trip tomorrow.”

“Don’t worry, I will.”

The two men shook hands before the old man slowly got up. After doing some arm stretches due to his stiff limbs, Damus went towards his Pokémon and shook him. Manectric growled softly as his mouth formed a sleepy smile.

“Wake up, buddy.”

The electric-type opened his eyes and gazed at Damus. “Mane?” the Pokémon murmured. He didn’t like being awake so soon after a nice nap.

“The rain stopped. It’s time to go home now." After Manectric got up and walked off to wait by the door, Damus turned to Aries. "Aries, help me get some of the fishing gear!”

Aries stopped grooming his Shelgon and began helping Damus with all of the fishing gear. Damus got the fishing poles and the bait they used today while his friend collected the snacks the old man had brought for them and their Pokémon. When the two finished, Aries said goodbye to his parents before he, Damus, and the Pokémon left the house.

"I hope Aries won't get upset tomorrow," Markus said in a solemn tone.

Betty smirked. "Don't worry, this will be good for him. Trust me."

Markus wasn't sure if he should trust his wife this time.

The stars became brighter as the night rolled on. Dew scattered all over the grass and ground, as if diamonds had fallen from the sky. The scenery didn't change Aries, Damus, and their Pokémon’s moods, though. As the four continued walking, Aries closed his eyes and frowned. Concern grew in the fisherman's eyes when Damus glanced sideways and noticed the boy's expression.

“What’s wrong, Aries? Tired?”

Aries opened his eyes, showing hints of anger. “I can’t believe my mom wouldn’t let me go fishing with you tomorrow!

After the boy took a few deep breaths, he tripped and fell into one of the mud puddles. Damus, Shelgon, and Manectric gasped in surprise and quickly moved towards him.

“Are you okay?”

Aries got up easily, but his face was all muddy and wet. Aries sighed sadly and lowered his head down. After a moment of silence, the boy spoke again, this time filled with hatred.

“Sometimes I wish I have a different mother,” he mumbled while clenching his fist.

Damus' eyes showed an expression of someone who understood the situation clearly. He frowned though—this was the first time he heard his friend said something like that.

“I’m upset too. However, you’ll do as you were told. They're just trying to do what is best for you.”

That statement got to the boy. Under normal circumstances, Aries' reaction would have involved yelling at Damus, telling him parents don't know everything, but instead he smiled. There was another way at looking at this situation.

“Maybe it's a good idea if I go fishing by myself. I can hone my fishing skills that I had learned from you throughout the years!”

Damus laughed and held his stomach, the Pokémon and Aries staring at him as if he was a crazed man with a gun. After a minute passed by, the old man wiped a tear from his cheeks and calmed himself down.

“I don’t think I'm that great of a teacher."

Aries made a face, as if someone had just died. “But you are! You’re best Pokémon fisherman I had ever known!"

Damus closed his eyes and gave a small, slow breath. “I’m not. Heck, I was a better Pokémon coordinator then a fisherman. Besides, there are other Pokémon fishermen that are better than me.”

“But still! You treat your Pokémon better than other fisherman I know and you respect everyone. That’s why you’re a great fisherman.”

Damus smiled and ruffled Aries’ hair. He was very pleased of how much the boy appreciated him. Despite being together for five years, Aries wasn't willing to go with another fisherman. As everyone continued walking towards Damus’ place, the man and boy were silent while Shelgon and Manectric talked. Both of them were gazing at their surroundings and appreciating the beauty of nature. Above their heads a full moon began to shine through the clouds as the raindrops on the grass sparkled in response. Eventually, Aries broke the silence between him and Damus.

“You know Damus, remember when we didn’t catch a single fish for quite some time? We were about to call it quits, but then we started getting a lot of them!”

Damus smiled at that memory. It was in late May last year and the two hadn't gotten any fish for the last fifty-five days. The two had agreed to not fish until August if they didn't catch anything the next day. But on the fifty-sixth day, the two suddenly got a lot of fish, which had lasted them for the next couple of weeks.

“Yes, I remember. All of my Pokémon gained five pounds that time,” Damus said, laughing at that thought. Aries laughed too.

“I’m glad that we stick around.”

“We didn’t quit because the both of us had hope,” the old man said slowly and grinned.

Aries felt something very cold slice through his heart, believing anger got hold of him again. He remembered how his mother didn’t want him to go fishing with Damus and how she didn't believe in him.

“Yeah, hope,” said Aries slowly in an angry tone.

The old man frowned. He could sense something was wrong by the way Aries spoke.

“Aries, are you all right?”

Damus' young friend sighed and closed his eyes. “Right after you said of how the both of us have hope, it reminded me of how my mom has no hope for you."

Aries felt like chains were crushing his body, preventing him from breathing. It wasn't easy telling his friend that because he believed Damus would be mad, and a quick glance at his friend’s stern look confirmed this.

“Is that all? Why you did not tell me right away?”

“I just don’t want you to be upset," he finally answered, stuttering.

The fisherman's eyes flashed in confusion. He then gave a look of disappointment, which made Aries want to hide behind one of the trees nearby.
“Damus, I’m so sorry I didn’t say anything earlier.”

“It’s all right. I’m the one that is supposed to say sorry to you. I didn’t intend to make you feel sad again for not fishing with me tomorrow. I’ll say this though. You’re not on this fishing trip because of you not having hope, but because of your mother not having any hope.”

The young fisherman this time grinned. “Thanks. I’m glad to have a friend like you.”

Damus gave out a small smile and ruffled Aries’ hair, like always. “I’m glad we’re friends…”

Everything was interrupted when the screech of tires was heard. Damus and Aries looked behind and saw a blue jeep car coming towards them. When the jeep passed them, the man in the passenger seat threw a bloody dead Magikarp on Damus' face as Aries, Shelgon, and Manectric gave blank expressions.

“Here’s something for you, old man!” the driver of the jeep yelled. "Now you caught a fish!"

As the jeep drove away, Aries picked up a few small rocks and threw them at it, but they missed the target. The laughter of the two men echoed as the jeep disappeared into the darkness. After Aries ran out of rocks to throw, Damus touched his right shoulder. He could see that Aries' face was red with intense frustration.

“Don’t worry, I’m not offended by those people," Damus said, smiling.

“But they disrespected you!”

“I know. They may catch a hundred Pokémon fish a day, but they are only doing it for the money. A real Pokémon fisherman fishes for the love of the sea. The sea calms you and takes you to another world that sometimes dreams can’t.”

After hearing that heartfelt speech, the boy couldn't help but smile. It was strange to him that Damus kept his cool even after what the two men had done. Sometimes Aries wished he had his friend’s patience, not his mother’s flaming temper. The old fisherman bent down to pick up the dead Magikarp and proudly held it to let everyone see.

“I guess I got a free dinner for my Pokémon tonight!” Damus said with a chuckle.

After everyone laughed, the fisherman took out a newspaper to wrap the Magikarp in. After Damus put the dinner in his backpack, he and everyone else went back to the path towards the house. While everyone walked, the old man began telling more stories of when he was a Pokémon Coordinator, the audience listening to every minute of it.

It took Damus, Aries, and their Pokémon half an hour longer to reach the cabin house. When everyone was inside, Aries and the Pokémon went to the living room while Damus walked towards the kitchen. As soon as the young boy and his Shelgon sat down, he glanced around, seeing only a few pieces of furniture and accessories like a clock. He knew Damus was fine with just a few necessities though, so that didn't bother him at all.

“Aries, are all of your Pokémon hungry? I'm going to cook the Magikarp as dinner for my Pokémon.”

The boy jerked a little when he heard Damus’ voice. He turned around quickly to see Damus’ face.

“No, it is okay. I can feed my other Pokémon when I get back home.”

“All right, then.”

The former coordinator looked at the clock and saw that it was eight o’clock. He then turned to face his friend.

“I guess it's time for you to go.”

“But we hadn't battled against each other yet!” said Aries enthusiastically.

The two would do a friendly Pokémon battle before or after each fishing trip and most of the time the young fisherman would win. Damus didn't mind losing to Aries given that it had been a while since he had really trained his Pokémon.

“Well, I don't want to lose again,” said Damus with a chuckle.

Aries pouted. “Come on! I won’t be easy this time!”

“You never have been easy with me! You would always squash me like a Caterpie!”

Both men laughed for what it seemed to be an eternity, but eventually the two calmed themselves.

“Okay, right after my Pokémon finish eating their dinner. Want them to gain their strength." Damus then chuckled.

“Sounds good,” the young fisherman said sadly. Aries wished he and Damus would do a Pokémon battle against each other right now, but it could wait.

Damus nodded and headed towards the kitchen, his Manectric following him. They entered the kitchen and the old fisherman took out the Magikarp out of the backpack and gave the bag to Manectric. After putting the backpack in the living room, the electric type went back to Damus and rubbed the man's leg in affection, causing him to smile and pet his Pokémon’s fur. The old man then went to cutting the red fish and whistled a happy tune song.

While all of that happened, Aries recalled Shelgon into his pokéball as he entered the bathroom and began cleaning the mud off of his face and clothes as best he could. Once satisfied, he walked into the dining room and sat besides the table. Aries saw the sports section of today’s newspaper laying there, the front page's headline SEADRAS WIN THRILLER catching his eye. Aries picked up the newspaper and read about the baseball game.

After Damus finished cutting the Magikarp, he saw Aries reading the newspaper and chuckled. “So how are the Seadras doing?”

“Great. They beat the Raichus three to two.”

Damus placed the newly cut pieces of Magikarp in a tan bowl. “That's what I like to hear!"

“Well, you have to admit the Raichus are a pretty tough baseball team.”

Damus stuttered for a bit before laughing. “Yeah, I would say the Raichus are a decent team, but there is no greater baseball team then the Seadras!” While talking, he began frying the Magikarp. “How about Derek Upspring? Did he hit any home runs today?”

“No, but he did a double on shortstop.”

Damus laughed in a cheerful manner. Even if Derek got out by a fly ball caught by the pitcher, Damus would be glad his favorite baseball player got the chance to play.

“That’s the Derek I know!”

Aries grinned, agreeing with Damus. Aries knew that Damus has been a big fan of the Seadras baseball team for a long time. All of the team's baseball players could hit very well including pitcher Derek Upspring, who made an average of five strikeouts per game. Not long after, Damus finished with the dinner and put the bowls filled with pieces of the Magikarp on the wooden floor. Manectric ran and immediately ate a mouthful, causing Aries to laugh.

"All right everyone, dinner's ready!"

Damus tossed his pokéballs and a Dragonair, Bayleef, and Altaria came out. All three cheered and went to eat their dinner too. Both the old man and the boy laughed when they saw Altaria trying to steal a piece of Dragonair's food while the snake dragon didn't look, but she immediately whacked the dragon bird with her tail. Manectric and Bayleef stared at one another.

"Now now Dragonair, you're supposed to be the calm one. Don't do that again even though Altaria can be a Snorlax sometimes."

The Dragonair just huffed and continued eating while the Altaria complained and flapped her wings frantically. Damus chuckled. Although his Pokémon could be a hassle sometimes, he still loved them very much. Aries smiled, knowing the man was able to take care of his Pokémon well and that they cared about him a lot.

“Your Pokémon seem to be enjoying their dinner," Aries said.

“Yeah, they mostly like things when they're fried.”

It took another few minutes until the Pokémon finished their dinner, all having smiles on their faces.

"I guess it's time for that battle, huh?" Aries reminded Damus while nudging his shoulder.

"Yep," Damus said, smiling when he heard his Pokémon cheered.

Everyone was outside, Damus' Pokémon the audience. Damus grinned, waiting for Aries to make the first move.

"Ready when you are!"

Aries snickered, having already thought of a Pokémon to use. He took out a pokéball from his jeans and released a Gloom. The weed Pokémon danced and cheered, getting ready for battle.

The old fisherman let out a sly smile, already feeling this would be a good battle. "Altaria, go!"

The dragon bird nodded and flew up to be in front of Damus. Aries chuckled softly to himself. Even though Altaria usually only thought of food, the flying-dragon type was not to be underestimated and could defeat Gloom. His Pokémon was to not be taken easily too, though.

"Let's start off with Petal Dance!"

The grass type spun around and pink petals hurled everywhere. Altaria screeched and flew away, avoiding the attack. Gloom looked around for the blue fluffball of a bird and left a confused expression when she wasn't able to find her. Just then, she screamed and crashed on the ground when Altria rammed her with an Aerial Ace attack, which the weed Pokémon wasn't able to avoid.

Damus chuckled. "Good work. Now, Ice Beam!"

Aries already felt his hands shaking, but he was not about to give up that early. "Grass Knot!"

Altaria began forming ice inside her mouth, but Gloom was able to stop that by closing the bird's beak with the vines coming out of her flower. Immediately the grass type smirked and spat out a huge amount of purple sludge. After Altaria got sludge all over her feathers, the Gloom released the humming Pokémon from her vines. Damus' eyes widen in amazement, surprised that Gloom had a few tricks inside that flower of hers.

"Dragonbreath!"

The bird flew up once more and let out green flames. Gloom tried to avoid the attack, but she moaned when the flames enveloped her arms and back, burning her. The old man grinned.

"Let's end this quickly with Draco Meteor!"

Aries was speechless. He knew Draco Meteor was Altaria's specialty and one of the strongest dragon attacks ever—he was practically doomed.

This time Altaria landed on the ground and flapped her wings, her body glowing in a gold color. Soon a golden ball came out of her mouth and she hurled it up in the air. Seconds later, meteor showers dropped down like bullets, causing the Pokémon and the two males to take cover. When the meteors hit the puddles, the water rose a few feet as loud splashing sounds surrounded them. After the chaos was over, Damus' eyes changed from happiness to confusion when he saw Aries grinned. He turned around and saw his Pokémon’s opponent covered in a rainbow wall, the Protect technique soon disappeared. Damus then saw his Altaria's chest moving up and down rapidly, knowing that attack took a toll upon her since she hadn't used it for a long time.

"Hurry up and use Energy Ball!"

"Flamethrower before Gloom gets a chance to hit!"

Gloom's flower on her head glowed green, but she soon got burned by the flames, causing her to run around in circles. Aries still smiled, though.

"Moonlight!"

Gloom absorbed some energy from the moon and she glowed. After a few seconds, the weed Pokémon looked cleaner than before, dancing with glee. Damus grunted and clenched his fist.

"Swift!"

The blue dragon bird gave out a battle cry and flapped her wings. Stars came out and hit the grass-poison type right on the chest, making her fall down.

"Good work. Flamethrower now!"

Aries knew he needed to come up with something fast, and he snapped his fingers when he did. "Grass Knot, and then Sleep Powder!"

Damus let out a confused grunt when he heard those commands. Altaria hurled a huge flamethrower at Gloom, but this time the Pokémon ran and dodged before going for another Grass Knot. Eventually the vines held Altaria again, but this time her whole body was entangled by them. Gloom's flower then burst wide open to let out purple powder. Altaria tried to get out, but was unable to and instantly fell sleep after breathing in the powder. Seeing that she won, Gloom danced while flowers burst out of her head once more. Even though Gloom had defeated his Pokémon in impressive style, Damus smiled— it had been quite a battle. The three Pokémon cheered loudly, agreeing with their trainer and friend.

"You did great there, girl," the old man whispered. Damus recalled Altaria to her pokéball and then went to Aries to pat his shoulder.

“Congratulations, Aries. You battled really well tonight.”

Aries grinned. “Why, thank you. You weren’t half bad yourself.”

The two friends shook hands in gratitude, but soon they frowned softly. They knew this would be their last battle in a while.

“Well, I guess I should be going now. I'll call you on your cell phone to see how you're doing on your fishing trip so far!”

Aries smiled. It was hard for him to believe it would be a while until the two could see each other, but he knew Damus would do well fishing alone.

“That sounds grand. Hope you have fun fishing too.”

The two hugged each other and then a minute later Aries and his Pokémon walked home. After Damus could not see them anymore due all of the darkness, he and his three Pokémon went back inside the house.

CHAHAHACHANGES!

*NEW SCENE! The flashback scene isn’t from the original, but I decided to add it after Maze’s comment made me think about giving a bit more of background history.

*I changed Damus’ Pokemon roster. Originally he also had a Crawdaunt and a Masquarin(?), but I decided to take the two away since I wouldn’t be able to keep track of six Pokémon when it comes to individual trainers. -_-

*In the original version, there was one part where Damus sings a song and Aries was thinking about how his mom used to sing that song. I actually took that out because...the song is so corny. -_- Also, it's one of those DamusxAries implied scenes when it fact it's not. :< One of the things I'm trying to do with this story is less overdramatic emotions.

*Because of that, the battle has been changed slightly. Heck, I even added a few gen four attacks like Draco Meteor.

Last edited:

Divinity_123

shove 'er in! ;O
Hey Bay! Sorry I didn't review sooner. I've been busy a lot, and whenever I've had to time to review, I always forget/put it off. Will you forgive me if I get on my knees and beg for mercyand give you lots and lots of pastries? :p

Two men, one young and one old, lowered their heads. Their lines were in the water, but no fish had taken their bait since they had begun, their legs already feeling cramps from sitting still for several hours. They were silent until the old man sighed.

"We haven't caught a fish for... how many days now?" Damus asked.

Aries gazed at the sky, as if he was waiting for something to fall. "Thirty-nine days, I believe.
Well you know, maybe after the 20th day of not catching a single fish, you'd think that at least the adult would get a clue lol :p

“That’s all right,” the old man said without smiling. He was okay if Betty didn't like him at all, but it still left a small sting on him.

You forgot to italicize Damus' thoughts.

Everything was interrupted when the screech of tires was heard. Damus and Aries looked behind and saw a blue jeep car coming towards them. When the jeep passed them, the man in the passenger seat threw a bloody dead Magikarp on Damus' face as Aries, Shelgon, and Manectric gave blank expressions.

“Here’s something for you, old man!” the driver of the jeep yelled. "Now you caught a fish!"
Not gonna lie, I grinned. Don't know if that make's me a bad person...

All in all, it's not bad so far. I don't really expect much to happen, and I know that this is loosely based off Hemingway's story, but it would interesting to see if something spontaneous happened. When I say interesting, I don't mean that this story isn't, I'm just saying that a little explosion couldn't possibly hurt, right? ;) Nah, I joke, it's just a personal preference of mine to read/watch something that has sporadic action. Don't mind me playing the devil's advocate though, maybe something spontaneous will eventually happen?

Anyways, this chapter flows much better than the previous, although, I'm a little wary of the way you portrayed Damus. He comes across as a "pity me" character. I know, I know, the poor guy couldn't catch a fish to save his own skin and everyone hates/dislikes him... but, do something about it Damus! xP

T'was also a nice little battle scene there. Altaria FTW.

Good luck and update soon!

Bay

YEAHHHHHHH
Hey, Divy! Sorry for the long reply. Explanation later. :p

Urgh, I know so far not much happened and it's not just because this story is loosely base off of Hemingway's story. Again this is supposed to be a parable, so not a lot of action will happen. This story will be more of character interactions and thoughts. With NE, it's mystery/suspense (although not too many suspense scenes till Chapter 18 -_- ), so of course in that story there is quite a few action scenes going on. However, I'll say Chapter 3 and onwards there is a bit of action going on, so look out for that.

As for Damus, yeah at first he's portrayed like that, but you'll see next chapter what happens next will change him for worse. D: That's all I'm going to say. :x

'kay everyone, progress on Chapter 3. I'll say that I haven't started revising Chapter 3 yet. XD; Been busy at uni and work pretty much. I SHOULD have been revising the next chapter during my spring break, but been busy reading the novel Lost Symbol by Dan Brown (shut up, okay :p ), chores, job applications, and of course playing Soul Silver. So yeah, been lazy with this story now. D: I'm going back to school on Monday, so hopefully after I beat the Elite Four at least before then I'll get back to revising the story soon.

Sireath

The world's a stage
As someone who has read The Old Man and the Sea, I am finding this to be a very interesting rendition. I don't think I've ever seen someone strictly try and take an established piece of literature and Poke-fy it before, so props!

You have said that this is a mainly character driven story, so I mainly tried to focus on characters and relationships as I read. You establish everything very clearly and very well, but sometimes I think your writing style might make things a bit too... robotic... do you know what I mean? Often I can be terrible at explaining things that aren't defined by simple rules, so I'll try and elaborate:

Betty suddenly stopped eating her soup and her cheeks blushed slightly. One of her eyes was half closed and her mouth quivered. It was hard for Betty to contain her anger. The woman took a couple deep breathes and spoke slowly to her husband.
This here is one of your better examples of showing emotion in your characters because you are showing the reaction. However, right in the middle, you say "It was hard for Betty to contain her anger." This just comes out and tells the audience what you've already been showing us. There are many instances in these chapters where you don't show at all, and only tell what is going on. Especially since your story is driven by characters and relationships, I think you should try adding a bit more warmth to your storytelling. Show more - tell less.

One other thing that I think is hurting your work is your overuse of phrases like: "All of a sudden", "Then", "After", etc. I believe this just goes along with what I said about telling. These sorts of phrases can be effective when used every now and then, but you seem to have them a lot. This gives the reader the same sort of feel that one gets when reading "this happened, then this happened, but then this happened..."

If you just let the story unfold as it is, I think it will come across much better.

Now, after all that, I should probably tell you that I do like this :)

I'm just trying to help by pointing out a few things that I think are inhibiting you from displaying these very interesting characters. There were a few highlights in there that I really enjoyed:

“I guess you’re right. He may be happy right now, but two years from now he'll get depressed.”

Betty grinned, her smile being remarkably large. “Good. I like to hear that. We should go back to the dining room.”
I'm not even sure if this was meant to be funny, but I found the irony to be simply hysterical, what with her saying "good" just after the father saying there son was going to be depressed. =P

Markus was about to answer that question but Betty cut in. “We believe it's a good idea to catch some fish alone so that you don't need to be thinking you wasted your time fishing with Damus.”
Ow... OW... that really stings. She's just really up front isn't she? It does allow us to get a better feel for her character though.

Oh! Before I forget to say this elsewhere, I really enjoy the little descriptions that you give at the beginning of each scene to set the stage. Some of it is just downright beautiful imagery!

In the second chapter, I was a little confused at first that they were out fishing... again... but, of course, then we found out it was a flashback, and it all made sense. I think you probably could do well to try and clarify in some way that we are in flashback mode at the outset, but I think it still could work if you leave it as is.

Damus laughed and held his stomach, the Pokémon and Aries staring at him as if he was a crazed man with a gun.
I thought this description might have been a bit over-the-top. It might work to say that they looked at him as if he were crazy, but adding the gun to the mix implies a great amount of fear, and I don't see that happening in this situation. You might just consider an alternative here.

The two had agreed to not fish until August if they didn't catch anything the next day.
I suppose this pact works to build a sort of tension and give significance to the fact that they caught fish on a very important day, but I don't understand why those characters would make such a pact in the first place.

Now, I thought the battle was pretty cool, nice strategical action and the like. It did feel a bit contrived, and I don't think it really needed to be in there just because this is a Pokemon fanfiction, but I'm getting into criticizing plot points there, so I'll leave it at that =P

While I liked what action you had going on, a lot of it didn't seem to flow due to the way you structured some of your sentences. For instance:
Just then, she screamed and crashed on the ground when Altria rammed her with an Aerial Ace attack, which the weed Pokémon wasn't able to avoid.
You describe the effect before the cause. While telling us Gloom crashed to the ground before telling us the cause is an interesting narrative choice, I think it more just made the scene choppy and broke flow, something very important in action sequences.

Anyway, here's the grammar issues I found...

Sometimes, Betty thought Damus was the unluckiest person in the world for she believed that even her own son was more capable of catching more fish pokemon by himself."
capitalize

While Damus was drying his Manectric and Markus continued to watch the new, Aries was staring out his window at the pounding rain.
news

Aries knew Damus could go outside on his own with his Pokémon helping him, but he didn't like the idea of risking his pokemon's health by having them outside in dangerous weather.
capitalize

Seeing Damus’s Manectric wet and shaking from being cold was good enough.
It think it should be "bad" here, not "good"

No Dad, we didn’t.”
Put a comma between "No" and "Dad"

“We would have stayed out a little longer but we left because of the rain,”
Put a comma between "longer" and "but"

It was hard for Betty to contain her anger. The woman took a couple deep breathes and spoke slowly to her husband.
breaths

Everyone, including the two Pokémon, was confused to why Betty would want a private talk with her husband.
I think it ought to be "confused as to"

As Damus’s story progressed, Aries liked the story better every second.
Repeating the word "story" is redundant. Just say "it"

Are you a parent of Aries? I don’t think so. I am the one that thinks what is best for my son, not some old Pokémon fisherman who can’t catch a fish!”
These phrases just seem to come out awkwardly. I think it should be "Are you his parent?" and "I am the one who knows what is best for my son."

Your parents are the one that chooses whether you go fishing with me or not.
It should be "ones who choose."

After hearing Damus saying that, Aries could have just screamed at him for choosing his parent’s sides, but he could not get himself to do so. If he were to scream at Damus, then the two might argue and it could be a chance that Damus might not want to fish with him forever.
"side" - singular.
"there could" instead of "it could"
"ever again" communicates the idea far more effectively than "forever"

Divinity_123 alreadey caught this one, but you have yet to change it, so I just thought I'd point it out again. His thoughts ought to be italicized.

The ground was covered by puddles of sparking water as dark clouds continued to hang over Harman City, threatening to let lose once again.
sparkling

Hey Markus, it stopped raining.
Put a comma between "Hey" and "Markus"

Damus got the fishing poles and the bait they used today while his friend collected the snacks the old man had brought for them and their Pokémon.
"earlier that day" instead of "today"

“I can’t believe my mom wouldn’t let me go fishing with you tomorrow!
"won't" instead of wouldn't, and you need to close your quotes.

“Sometimes I wish I have a different mother,” he mumbled while clenching his fist.
had

“Maybe it's a good idea if I go fishing by myself. I can hone my fishing skills that I had learned from you throughout the years!”
It should be "I have" or "I've"

“But you are! You’re best Pokémon fisherman I had ever known!"
have

You treat your Pokémon better than other fisherman I know and you respect everyone.
Put a comma between "I" and "know."

He was very pleased of how much the boy appreciated him.
with

Above their heads a full moon began to shine through the clouds as the raindrops on the grass sparkled in response.
I'm fairly certain you need a comma between "heads" and "a," but I might be off on this one.

“I’m glad that we stick around.”
stuck

Aries felt something very cold slice through his heart, believing anger got hold of him again.
had gotten

You’re not on this fishing trip because of you not having hope, but because of your mother not having any hope.”
Saying it this way means that Aries actually is going with Markus. You need to rephrase. An easy fix might be to change "on" to "missing" or "being denied."

“But we hadn't battled against each other yet!” said Aries enthusiastically.
haven't

The old man then went to cutting the red fish and whistled a happy tune song.
this is redundant. Choose either "tune" or "song", but not both.

Once satisfied, he walked into the dining room and sat besides the table.
beside

Aries saw the sports section of today’s newspaper laying there, the front page's headline SEADRAS WIN THRILLER catching his eye.
the day's

Gloom looked around for the blue fluffball of a bird and left a confused expression when she wasn't able to find her.
"Left" should be "donned" or some other verb, but the use of "left" is only confusing, and I don't think it's grammatically accurate.

Anyway, keep up the good work, and try and fix some of these things in your new chapters! It's mostly just commas, making sure you stay in the right tense, and just other tiny errors that are caught with an extra proofread.

Good Fortune! ;206;