• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Hello - I'm new!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaine123

Hi guys,

I'm new too the forums and Pokemon overall. I've watched the cartoon when I was younger and played some games on GBA. But i've recently gotten the Pokemon Alpha Sapphire for 3DS and I'm really enjoying it, but there is a lot more to understand such as EV, IVs and the whole shiny fiasco lol.

Also one last question - I don't live near any GAME stores and unfortunately cannot get the code for the legendary "Arecus". Could anyone please help me with getting one?

Thanks guys/ girls :)

;300;

TheScentedApple

Hi! Its always good to see a new face around here.
Unfortunately the Arceus codes are literally about to run out in like 2 days so unless you can go there within that time....
EVs, IVs and shiny concepts are very tricky to get started with, but eventually you will get the hang of them. Pokemon Showdown, which is run by Smogon, is a good place to start learning about what EVs and IVs do

kanrasan

Evs and Ivs are confusing. It took me a year to finally understand them hue. As for the Arceus codes, what I would recommend is to go here: http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?618211-Event-Trading-Thread if you can't find anything there, there are lots of trade boards online (ex: gamefaqs oras trading boards) where people will gladly help you out, but do be careful for scammers. As the poster above me said, Pokemon Showdown is an amazing Pokemon simulator where you can chat and battle online with other users. It's really fun, and it's a great way to learn more about the Pokemon community. I would recommend you check it out.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Hello, and welcome to Serebii! As EVs/IVs are something I have a decent degree of understanding of I'll post a brief explanation here. If you're interested in more you can find great guides and information here on Serebii, as well as on Smogon and Bulbapedia for these sorts of mechanics.

Also, as I understand, some people are willing to trade Gamestop codes and similar such things for other events and rare Pokemon in the trade forum, although such is obviously a trust trade and I'd recommend only trading such items with well-known and respected traders.

EVs and IVs are values assigned to each individual Pokemon that help determine their stats. Each Pokemon has a certain number of IVs in each stat, from 0 to 31. These serve as "bonus points" for that stat, adding 1 point to the visible stat for each IV by level 100. So a Pokemon with 31 IVs in a stat would have 31 more points in that stat than the same Pokemon with 0 IVs in that stat would by level 100. A Pokemon's IVs are randomly generated when it is caught (except in the case of breeding, where 3-5 IVs may be passed on from the parents), and currently cannot be changed, but a process called IV breeding will allow you to breed Pokemon with flawless or near flawless IVs. It's a tad bit too complicated for to to put in a short welcome post though.

EVs also add to a Pokemon's stats, but in a different fashion than IVs. Where 1 IV = a 1 point increase in the visible stat, 4 EVs = a 1 point increase in the visible stat. Pokemon earn EVs by defeating wild Pokemon and through the use of vitamins, unlike IVs which are randomly generated fixed numbers. Each Pokemon can have 510 EVs total, and 255 in any one stat (although 252 is the largest number divisible by 4). Power items (Weight, Anklet, etc) all add 4 EVs to their respective stat on top of whatever EVs a Pokemon gives naturally when defeated, so for instance defeating a Scolipede while holding a Power Anklet will give +7 Speed EVs to that Pokemon. Vitamins like Calcium and HP Up add 10 EVs to their respective stats, but cannot be used if the Pokemon has more than 100 EVs in that stat. Certain berries (Pomeg, Qualot, etc) take away 10 EVs from a stat and increase happiness, which is useful if you accidentally get EVs in a stat you don't want to train. If you want to see which Pokemon give which EVs, Serebii's Pokedex has that information, as well as a function that allows you to search Pokemon by EV gain.

kanrasan

Hello, and welcome to Serebii! As EVs/IVs are something I have a decent degree of understanding of I'll post a brief explanation here. If you're interested in more you can find great guides and information here on Serebii, as well as on Smogon and Bulbapedia for these sorts of mechanics.

Also, as I understand, some people are willing to trade Gamestop codes and similar such things for other events and rare Pokemon in the trade forum, although such is obviously a trust trade and I'd recommend only trading such items with well-known and respected traders.

EVs and IVs are values assigned to each individual Pokemon that help determine their stats. Each Pokemon has a certain number of IVs in each stat, from 0 to 31. These serve as "bonus points" for that stat, adding 1 point to the visible stat for each IV by level 100. So a Pokemon with 31 IVs in a stat would have 31 more points in that stat than the same Pokemon with 0 IVs in that stat would by level 100. A Pokemon's IVs are randomly generated when it is caught (except in the case of breeding, where 3-5 IVs may be passed on from the parents), and currently cannot be changed, but a process called IV breeding will allow you to breed Pokemon with flawless or near flawless IVs. It's a tad bit too complicated for to to put in a short welcome post though.

EVs also add to a Pokemon's stats, but in a different fashion than IVs. Where 1 IV = a 1 point increase in the visible stat, 4 EVs = a 1 point increase in the visible stat. Pokemon earn EVs by defeating wild Pokemon and through the use of vitamins, unlike IVs which are randomly generated fixed numbers. Each Pokemon can have 510 EVs total, and 255 in any one stat (although 252 is the largest number divisible by 4). Power items (Weight, Anklet, etc) all add 4 EVs to their respective stat on top of whatever EVs a Pokemon gives naturally when defeated, so for instance defeating a Scolipede while holding a Power Anklet will give +7 Speed EVs to that Pokemon. Vitamins like Calcium and HP Up add 10 EVs to their respective stats, but cannot be used if the Pokemon has more than 100 EVs in that stat. Certain berries (Pomeg, Qualot, etc) take away 10 EVs from a stat and increase happiness, which is useful if you accidentally get EVs in a stat you don't want to train. If you want to see which Pokemon give which EVs, Serebii's Pokedex has that information, as well as a function that allows you to search Pokemon by EV gain.

Good explanation. However, for EVs, I would also like to add that there is something called pokerus. Pokerus is extremely rare (1 in 21,845 chance, so even more rare than a shiny) but it is very useful. What it does is that it doubles the amount of evs a pokemon gets. For example, a normal pokemon fighting a zigzagoon would get 1 speed EV. However, a pokemon with pokerus would get 2 speed evs instead of 1. Pokerus can spread very easily, just leave the infected pokemon in your party and start a few battles. However, pokerus is only contagious for about 1-4 days, so if you find a pokemon with it, you should spread it as quickly as possible. There are several ways to tell if a pokemon has pokerus. One instance is if you go to the pokemon center and have an infected pokemon healed, nurse joy will give you a small message telling you that your pokemon has pokerus. Another way is to look at the pokemon's profile. There will be either a little sign that says "Pokerus", or there will be a small little pink face (like the one right here: http://i.imgur.com/efhMucu.jpg).

Hi! EVs and IVs ARE pretty tricky but once you figure out how they work and what they do, it becomes almost as easy basic math at that point. I started playing competitively about three of four months after X and Y released and I've been learning ever since. I've even inspired a couple of my friends with my crazy ideas with Pokemon. So with enough work and practice, you can become pretty proficient at understanding Pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.