• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Help building a team pls

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoogietheMBP

Hi all! Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this - it's my first time on here.
Basically my friend and I (he is really into pokemon) decided for christmas we would get together and battle pokemon from Crystal on the N64 using Stadium 2.
Since he is big on pokemon and although I really like pokemon haven't played at a while, he's at a big advantage and I need some big help building a better team.
Here's what I've come up with. Please tell me if it is good/bad and whether pokemon or moves should be changed. I'm training lots of pokemon so after the first round or two I can change the team up if need be.

My strategy is to pick good pokemon which have very few weaknesses, making it hard for him to exploit anything. Also, pls note we are not using legendaries

1) Skarmory (general strat is to set up curse, then spread the poison)
@Leftovers
-Drill Peck
-Curse
-Toxic
-Whirlwind

2) Kingdra (general strat is to get the double team up, then attack)
@Mintberry
-Double team
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Rest

3) Forretress (Deal some tough damage then take hopefully take out something tough)
@???
-Earthquakes
-Spikes
-Rapid Spin
-Explosion

4) Lanturn (for anything which would hurt Forretress or Skar w/ fire)
@???
-Confuse Ray
-Thunderbolt
-Thunder wave
-Surf

5) Tyranitar (I know he has a lot of weaknesses, but he's a powerhouse, right?)
@???
-Rock Slide
-Crunch
-Earthquake
-Thunderbolt/Flamethrower?

6) Snorlax (If I'm having trouble, I send this big boy in to put him to bed)
@Leftovers
-Double-edge
-Earthquake
-Sleep Talk
-Rest

Other pokemon I have to use: Lapras, Dragonite, Jolteon, Alakazam, Arcanine, Donphan, Heracross, Marowak, Starmiem Ursaring, Wobbuffet, all eevee forms

All items are ??? if I don't know what to use. I only have 2 leftovers (how do I get more?).

You may ask why I've spent so much time on this? We've bet a copy of the new Pokemon B/W2 on the winner best out of 5.

Thanks in advance for the help!

.TraX.

Bad and Nationwide
Fairly good, most would put Rest over Toxic on Skarmory though.

I'd trade out Lanturn for Marowak if you've got thick club available (rock slide / earthquake / pick 2 other skills and have fun). Starmie is also good and should probably get a spot -- Thunderbolt + Surf or Ice Beam can be deadly stuff with Recover and Thunder Wave.

No point in Ursaring if you've got Snorlax.

I doubt you can get more leftovers without restarting the game or getting it on Stadium 64 somehow, my memory is pretty fuzzy on getting items in GSC though.

Shymain

Shaymin Lover
For Tyranitar, not the best choice of Pkmn, if you're looking for a Powerhouse use Machamp, but if you're going to, use flamethrower, it gives you a chance of beating your enemy quicker, and, while thunderbolt has its pros, considering your whole team, you need to stop grass types, because that us a noticeable flaw in the team.

Suggested Machamp team:

Machamp

ThunderPunch (to counter flying types)
Thief (to counter psychic types)
Flamethrower (in case of the occasional Skarmory, and other Metal Types)
IcePunch (to make sure that you have an unexpected move set that can pack a wallop)

Last edited:

NoogietheMBP

Thanks for the help trax and shymain.
I think I'm going to swap Starmie and Marowak in per your suggestions, so I'd have this team:

1) Skarmory (general strat is to set up curse, then spread the poison)
@Leftovers
-Drill Peck
-Curse
-Rest
-Whirlwind

2) Kingdra (general strat is to get the double team up, then attack)
@Mintberry
-Double team
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Rest

3) Forretress (Deal some tough damage then take hopefully take out something tough)
@???
-Earthquakes
-Spikes
-Rapid Spin
-Explosion

4) Starmie
@???
-Recover
-Thunderbolt
-Surf
-Rapid Spin

5) Marowak
@Thick Club (took forever to get...)
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-Icy Wind (to slow opponents down)
-Return? (not sure what to use here. Don't want double-team as I figure I'll loose too much health)

6) Snorlax
@Leftovers
-Double-edge
-Earthquake
-Sleep Talk
-Rest

How does this look?

Crystal6

Gen.2 Shiny Breeder
Why so many water/flying pokemon? It leaves you open to thunderbolt. Why not replace Starmie with a quick hitting psychic like Alakazam? (If you get an alakazam give him thunder punch since you seem to have very few thunder pokes.)
You also don't seem to have any plan for an opposing psychic now (and psychic is kinda really awesome in the early games) so I recommend an Umbreon. Umbreons have great defense and special defense, so I recommend giving it toxic and confuse ray to whittle your opponent down. Maybe add a double team to Umbreon to make him impossible to hit while you are at it. (leftovers can be cloned via cloning a pokemon holding the item. If you don't want to do that, perhaps bump leftovers to this poke from Skarmory.)

Hm... you also have 2 metal pokemon which means you are weak to fire. That might be a problem too... In general I recommend varying the poke types a bit more, partially due to lack of resistance and partially because you don't seem to have a wide variety of kinds of attacks. Neither of your metal pokemon have any metal attacks which makes their type a bit of a liability should your opponent have fire, which none of your pokemon can use.... which means if HE has a metal pokemon you are kinda doomed...

Yep.... wait. I thought you couldn't use 2 of the same item on Pokemon Stadium 2. <_< >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.