• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Help me with my Pokemon Showdown NU Tier Team!

elyk800

When I first started with this team, it was a team of Pokemon I threw together to test out the tier, but it seems like it has done moderately well so far. I feel like it could be better, as there have been times where it has done really badly, or that I can't pull off certain tactics. This is my reason for creating this RMT thread. As stated above, this is for the NU Tier, played on Pokemon Showdown. I also took these Pokemon move sets from Smogon.

1. Camerupt @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
Nature: Calm (+ SpDef, - Atk)
EV's: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD

Stealth Rock
Earth Power
Lava Plume
Roar

Camerupt is one of my two leads on this team. The objective is to start with Stealth Rocks, and then either switch out, attack, or roar my opponent, depending on what they do. The Solid Rock ability enables Camerupt to withstand many super effective hits, and Camerupt has quite a bit of decent bulk to survive long enough to get a couple Roars in.

2. Garbodor @ Black Sludge
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Nature: Impish (+Def, -SpA)

-Spikes
-Drain Punch
-Clear Smog
-Gunk Shot

Garbodor is the second of my two leads. Similar to Camerupt, the objective is to set up entry hazards, and then proceed to attack. The EV spread grants Garbodor decent physical bulk, so he is capable of taking hits. Drain Punch gives him some recovery on top of the Black Sludge, so that he can stick around longer. Clear Smog is for those pesky little setup sweepers that can tear apart the team after a few boosts. Gunk Shot is there for a strong STAB attack.

3. Swellow @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)

-Facade
-Brave Bird
-U-Turn
-Quick Attack

Swellow is my speedy sweeper, capable of dishing out a lot of damage, and being able to pick off the Pokemon that are faster than Camerupt and Garbodor. It also negates the ground weakness of both of my leads. Facade is there for when Guts is activated, capable of dealing a lot of damage even to bulky Pokemon. Brave Bird for any grass or fighting types that might get in my way, but I use this sparingly, because of the poison damage racking up. U-Turn keeps the momentum in my favor by enabling me to search for a counter, and Swellow is pretty fast so it generally works in my favor. Quick Attack for the weakened enemies and +1 priority.

4. Electabuzz @ Life Orb
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid (+Spe, -Atk)

-Thunderbolt
-Volt Switch
-Hidden Power Ice
-Focus Blast

Electabuzz is my main special sweeper, being fast and capable of dealing lots of damage with STAB Thunderbolt. Volt Switch acts like Swellow's U-Turn, enabling me to switch to a counter while dealing decent damage. Hidden Power Ice is there to take care of some of the bulkier grass types in the tier, although I'm not sure whether this should be HP Ice, or HP Grass. I do not know what threats are more common to decide which is best. Focus Blast is for the normal types in the tier.

5. Pinsir @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)

-X-Scissor
-Close Combat
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake

My main physical sweeper, he tends to clean up late game, once all of his counters have been eliminated. The Jolly nature and Choice Scarf combination allows Pinsir to out speed most Pokemon in the tier, and with Heracross being in a higher tier, I wanted a Pokemon who was capable of using fighting type attacks, that wasn't a fighting type Pokemon. He tends to hold his own, especially after a Moxie boost or two. The only problem I find with Pinsir is the typical problem of being locked into one move that Choice Pokemon tend to have. I end up switching out Pinsir frequently because of being locked into the wrong move. He has been my reason for losing some of my matches, because he would be my last Pokemon, and locked into Earthquake against a levitate user, flying type, etc. But the Life Orb works better on Electabuzz, at least in my experience so far.

6. Beheeyem @ Choice Specs
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA (3 Speed IV)
Nature: Quiet (-Spe, +SpA)

-Psychic
-Thunderbolt
-Signal Beam
-Hidden Power Ground

Beheeyem is my second special sweeper, who is capable of hitting like a truck with the combination of Analytic and the Choice Specs. The objective is to hit the opposing Pokemon with the desired coverage move, and then switch out to another Pokemon if the choice locked attack is ineffective against the switch in. The only problem I find with Beheeyem is that he is really slow, and is often given a status, such as poison or paralysis to render him ineffective. I also find that his item gets Tricked a lot, also making him less effective.

If any raters have a chance, here is a sample battle from Pokemon Showdown using this team. http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/nu-41098747

I am pretty happy with the first four slots I mentioned, as all of them hold their own for the most part. The last two, I am most open to switching out. But I am open to any and all criticism on this team. Thank you very much for your time!

Hopkinc1

Music = Life
It looks like a pretty good team man, I love the use of Pinsir as a pseudo-Heracross.

I really don't see much wrong with the team, but then again I don't play too much NU. However, there is one thing that I would change on this team: On Swellow, Toxic Orb --> Flame Orb. I'd use this instead because Flame Orb gets you burned instead. It is consistent damage (so you might just live a little bit longer) rather than damage that grows exponentially. Guts also counteracts the attack drop from Guts (at least last I checked it did, if I'm wrong about that then correct me) so using Flame Orb/Guts to me seems like a better choice. In fact, I'd only use Toxic Orb on Zangoose (which you don't have) because his ability is pretty much Guts, but only made for Toxic Orb.

That's my 2 cents on it. Again I don't play much NU but if you make that change then I think the team would be pretty solid.

elyk800

It looks like a pretty good team man, I love the use of Pinsir as a pseudo-Heracross.

I really don't see much wrong with the team, but then again I don't play too much NU. However, there is one thing that I would change on this team: On Swellow, Toxic Orb --> Flame Orb. I'd use this instead because Flame Orb gets you burned instead. It is consistent damage (so you might just live a little bit longer) rather than damage that grows exponentially. Guts also counteracts the attack drop from Guts (at least last I checked it did, if I'm wrong about that then correct me) so using Flame Orb/Guts to me seems like a better choice. In fact, I'd only use Toxic Orb on Zangoose (which you don't have) because his ability is pretty much Guts, but only made for Toxic Orb.

That's my 2 cents on it. Again I don't play much NU but if you make that change then I think the team would be pretty solid.

Thanks for your input! I will change the Toxic orb to a Flame Orb, that will help a bit. Should I give Swellow Roost as well, in place of Quick Attack? Or leave it as is? Another problem I find that I have is status problems. As I said in my post, Beheeyem doesn't actually help out too much. He either gets knocked out too quickly, or gets a status to make him useless. So I was wondering if I should put a cleric in there. Maybe switch him with Gardevoir, and make Gardevoir defensive? Then I lose a sweeper on my team. Tough call xD I don't really know what works best. No team is entirely perfect after all!

Hopkinc1

Music = Life
I would give him Roost, but that's just me. If Quick Attack works better for you then use that.