• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Help needed on naming four Pokemon.

Corrosion

Hello Kitty =/= Cat
Alright I need help in naming a lot of Pokemon. I have the backbone of my fan-fic done, but the names are being complete pains in the neck, so can you guys help? I need names for a Nidoking (Can be anything mostly, but a boy's name. Also needs to be European.), a Dodrio ( A girl's name, and make it Russian.), a Sceptile (Girl's name, make it Spanish please.) and a Absol (Any gender name please. Non-English language names are best for this.) Thank you if you can help me~

Psychic

Really and truly
http://www.behindthename.com

Select gender and nationality, and have fun going through the lists and looking at what different names mean.

Honestly, it's difficult to tell other writers what names to choose for their characters. Or, if their names are given to them, to tell writers what other characters should name your characters. If someone is naming them, would that character want to give them human names, or instead name them based on characteristics of their species?

You know your characters better than the rest of us; you created everything else about them, and naming them is your job in the same way. We can only offer you suggestions or resources. We can't make the decision for you, especially if we know nothing about them.

Either way, I leave you with that to think about, as well as this valuable site as a resource.

~Psychic

elyvorg

somewhat backwards.
This is kind of a tangent from what you're asking, but I couldn't help noticing that you have a Dodrio there. Do her three heads each have their own individual personalities? If so, you might want to think about whether maybe each head might have its own individual name as well. Her full name for the Dodrio as a whole could perhaps be a portmanteau of those three names. Or you could give her a name which has three syllables in it and have each of her heads go by a different syllable of her full name. Or something. I'm not saying you have to, but it might be fun to think about when you're coming up with a name for her. Dodrio is a fascinating Pokémon to write, and naming one doesn't necessarily have to be as simple as choosing one name for one Pokémon. Be creative!

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
For the Absol, how about Basil? It means "bold" in Arabic.

Except you'll probably have people wondering why an Absol is named after a cooking herb. (That and Basil usually comes up more as a name for English characters. Fawlty Towers or The Great Mouse Detective, anyone?)

Other than that, I'll have to agree with Psychic. If these are tamed/trained Pokémon, the personality of the owner will have a lot to do with what the Pokémon is called. For example, the name scheme that you've got going on might work if the trainer is eccentric and likes human names, but it might not work out so well if your trainer is actually a person who would be more likely to point at a Houndour and name it Flame or Fluffy.

If these are wild Pokémon, then it's rather strange that each Pokémon would have human names for fairly obvious reasons.

Meantimes, yes, it's best to check out baby name sites in general. After all, while we could suggest you lists of names, besides the fact that the ones we come up with might not be all that fitting, you'll also want to remember that you'll end up having to be the one who will see those names the most. So, they'll need to be something that not only fits but also something you really don't mind seeing a lot yourself. Or to put it even more clearly, I could tell you to name your Dodrio Zhannochka (which is Russian and means something rather nice, actually), and probably after misspelling that every time you attempted to write it, you'd probably want to kill me. So... yeah. Probably better to check things out yourself and go with whatever makes you feel the most comfortable to write, basically.