• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Help on choosing what to watch

brandyjay

GET IN THE BAG
During yr 8 Japanese my class watch a few anime shows (in english with the japanese subtitles on) and afterwards I said I would one day watch more anime. That day has come now that I am finishing school and will have a bit more time on my hands.
The problem is that when I had a go at browsing I realised that I had no idea what was good and what wasnt so I have decided to ask you kind people for ideas. The main thing I would advise is that I am not so fussed about good fighting scenes and such in comparison to a good story line.
So yeah any suggestions would be much appreciated. Oh and it would be helpful if when you suggest something you give a bit of an explanation of why I should watch it.
Thanks to people in advance.

toge5556

Like a cosmic condom
'shugo chara!' is good but it depends what you like

brandyjay

GET IN THE BAG
Thats the problem, I dont have much of an idea. That is why I am asking. Once I have watched a few I should be able to have a better idea.

Mimori Kiryu

What genres do you like in movies? That'll help us because that's usually how most anime titles are separated.

Torchic23

gee that's swell
Everyone is going to suggest different things since there's a gazillion different types of anime out there. But it's good to try a lot of different kinds so you can learn what you like :)

For me, my top favorite of all time has always been Blood+. The story is great, the animation is great, the characters is great. Even the music is great! It's 50 episodes long but it's definitely worth getting through because the plot is so well thought out. There really aren't any boring fillers to waste your time with. But it is a very violent, bloody anime, so be warned. There's rarely anything funny, it's mostly very dark.

More: http://myanimelist.net/anime/150/Blood+

Another I like quite a bit is Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. It's a comedy, not really any action, but it's dark humor. The animation is really pretty and it's quite funny. There's a lot of characters in the show so it's an easy one to find a favorite in

More: http://myanimelist.net/anime/2605/Sayonara_Zetsubou_Sensei

I could go on forever, I love a lot of anime but I don't want to make this too long for your sake and other's XD; Some other titles that you can research are Baccano!, K-ON!, Soul Eater, Paranoia Agent, Pandora Hearts, El Cazador de la Bruja, FLCL (Furi Kuri), Samurai Champloo, and Gurren Lagann, all I found to be quite good anime. But as I said, everyone has a different opinion. Good luck in finding some anime you like :)

And a good site for looking up and finding new anime is : http://myanimelist.net

ParaChomp

be your own guru
I totally recommend Trigun if your looking for comedy and/or action. The original Fullmetal Alchemist (not Brotherhood) if your looking for action, comedy and/or drama. Death Note if you have a need for suspense and/or drama. King of Bandit: Jing, the mood changes every episode so it has a lot of variety but I would only recomend it if you can handle 2.5 seconds of fanservice before you start laughing yourself silly!

I recommend Gurren Lagann, it's got a lot of action (and giant robots) and it balances humor with serious...ness...

I've also found Zombie Loan to be great, really funny and lots of action.

Nabari No Ou is a bit more serious, but still pretty actiony, with some humor concentrated mainly in the first few episodes.

Kiba was one of my firsts, and it's one of my favorites, because it takes giant fighting things and puts a crazy spin on them. It's sort of like Yu-Gi-Oh, but minus the cards and with a more serious mood.

And to round it out a bit, I liked .Hack//Sign, because it's a serious anime that gets you into the plot and the characters struck a chord with me, personally.