• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Help on making Romance fic less cheesy!

Burnt Flower

Horror Mistress
Hello all! So I was hit with a REALLY big inspiration to write this romance one-shot (not horror SHOCK GASP), but I've been having trouble as of late... I'll be the first to say I hate sappy, corny romances and I snicker or groan at movies/books if the romance comes off as stupid or melodramatic.

...The problem is that my one-shot is turning into the very thing I hate.

So, this is an urgent plea for help! How can I make a romance more believable? More touching? Makes you not want to roll your eyes?

Here's an excerpt:

I kept reminding myself – many, many more times that I ever care to admit – the sheer impossibility of anything tangible coming into fruition, but my love for him was immune to all my half-hearted denials and lingered safely within the recesses of my heart. I knew how utterly pathetic it was, but I guess, at first, I let it thrive because it provided some relief to my overwhelming loneliness. I desperately clung to the last, flimsiest flicker of hope that would let me escape from this oppressing darkness because it was all I thought I had.

It just...seems bad. And this is really frustrating because I don't have nearly as much trouble writing other genres (especially horror duh), but romance is my big weakness.

I really want to make this one-shot work, so my fic is at your mercy.

shervin

Pokemon Coordinator
Seeing as you're good at horror, why not do a very dark romance? Using metaphors that would'nt normally be used in the romance genre?

Burnt Flower

Horror Mistress
Seeing as you're good at horror, why not do a very dark romance? Using metaphors that would'nt normally be used in the romance genre?

Oh, I have! I've never posted them (because they're incomplete), but they were were MUCH easier to write than what I'm doing now. But I want this one-shot to be pure romance with no horror elements.

Thanks for the help, though! :)

Yami Ryu

I could suggest reading some good romance fics? Or even a couple of romance movies? And I don't mean romance of the now, some older movies are really good and romantic and there's few moments of the cheese.

And if it's there it's usually the good kind. Unfortunately, that's all I can really offer for help as well I suck at romance really, mean at the angle you're trying for. I wish I could help more but all I can add is good luck.

Burnt Flower

Horror Mistress
I could suggest reading some good romance fics? Or even a couple of romance movies? And I don't mean romance of the now, some older movies are really good and romantic and there's few moments of the cheese.

And if it's there it's usually the good kind. Unfortunately, that's all I can really offer for help as well I suck at romance really, mean at the angle you're trying for. I wish I could help more but all I can add is good luck.

Any good recommendations? But yeah, that is a very good suggestion...I don't know why I didn't think of that...

Thanks, Yami! :)

Breezy

Hmm ...

It depends on what someone finds "cheesy". That being said, a little bit of cheese is what I think makes romance so special and heartwarming, even if we do slightly eyeroll at it. I mean, like most genres, romance is a way to escape the mundane toll of life, and what better way to escape it by reading something that probably won't happen in real life? Ya know? ;P

Er, anyway.

I think what a lot of people eyeroll at (besides ewww kissing) is the "fakeness" that a lot of books and movies make romance and love to be. I.e., nothing else matters in the world besides this person, the world revolves around us, etc, when in all reality, romance and love just isn't like that, or that phase just doesn't last in a long term commitment. It's important to give your character faults (not everyone is beautiful, nor can everyone spit out a love poem on the spot like in movies) that make the story more realistic but also more relatable to your readers. You still have to go to work if you have a huge crush on someone. You still gotta go to school despite just hooking up with someone (kay, that's not romance, but you get the point lol). Emotional connection like any other genre really.

It also depends on what "stage of love" your character is on. A person who has a crush or who's relationship just started is going to have a vastly different opinion on romance then someone who has been dating something for more than a few years. Love in relationships that are just starting is seen as infallible and that the romance will never die while long term commitments seem to be more gritty and down to earth. So depending where your character stands, sometimes the cheesiness is needed because, well, that's how most people process romance. Cheesy, gooey kisses and whatnot.

I kept reminding myself – many, many more times that I ever care to admit – the sheer impossibility of anything tangible coming into fruition, but my love for him was immune to all my half-hearted denials and lingered safely within the recesses of my heart. I knew how utterly pathetic it was, but I guess, at first, I let it thrive because it provided some relief to my overwhelming loneliness. I desperately clung to the last, flimsiest flicker of hope that would let me escape from this oppressing darkness because it was all I thought I had.
Your excerpt comes off as desperate which entail can cause eye-rolling, but I think that's what you're going for, right? I mean, the fact that your character is logically thinking about it but still pines anyway is what is, if I may quote your character, sort of pathetic which I can see a few people rolling their eyes at in the "God get over it" kind of way. =P

The wording itself is a bit poetic (though it's possible it's just my personal writing taste that thinks that) and makes it a bit more flowery than I think it needs to be. Like I said, not everyone thinks in a romantic, flowery language all the time, if at all, even though the content may be. Think about how you processed your own relationships (not even in writing, but in your head) and crushes and channel that same feeling and thought process through your character.

Either way, I rambled, and I don't think I answered the question. I tried. ;P

If I were to recommend a good romance movie that's pretty recent and tackles the subject well is (500) Days of Summer not only because I have a deep lust for Joseph Gordon-Levitt, but because it does take certain romantic cliches ("true love") and twists it around. It also shows how the couple develops from ooey gooey couple to ... well, you'll see (if you haven't seen it). In a way, it also tests the viewers ideals of romance, though not in a bad way. It's not really an example per se, but it puts a spin/develops differently on the cliches and cheesiness that a lot of romance movies have.

PokemonHero

I can see the future
Besides reading romance and watching romance movies, you also really need to get into the characters. I find that trying to put myself into the characters' mindset allows me to come up with much of the conflict which you might have in a romance story.

You can make it seem less cheesy by presenting the story in a different way. Think of the movie Avatar. It's storyline is basically the same as Dancing with Wolves or Pocahontas. However, the way that it is presented helps to freshen up the storyline. So don't be afraid of the cliches; instead, use them to your advantage by finding a different way to present them.

...I hope that makes sense when you read it. It made some sense in my head.

Yami Ryu

Sorry wish I could but I don't know any off the top of my mind XD and I do know of a few westerns but I've forgotten what they were titled. Most of the things I watch, romance is on the side for the most part.

I always have problems remembering names and titles lol

Tho what about Beauty and the Beast :p jk, just my fave tale/movie ever lol

Negrek

Lost but Seeking
I'm no good with romance, really, but at least part of the problem with the excerpt you posted is that it's terribly overblown. It looks like you're trying to use really sophisticated language, and all it's doing is turning your sentences clunky. "...the sheer impossibility of anything tangible coming into fruition..." is especially bad in this regard.

in general it's just terribly melodramatic; both the language and the sentiment (last flickering light of hope to escape from all-oppressing darkness) feels contrived. Writing emotion is difficult, especially from the first-person perspective, but it sometimes helps to sit back and really consider whether people would honestly express themselves like that. I mean, how often does your inner monologue contain stuff like "fruition" and "recesses of my heart?"

Burnt Flower

Horror Mistress
Breezy: Wow, this is a really long post! :D Lol, yeah, I guess I just had this mindset that cheesy = bad all my life, but I guess it doesn't necessarily have to be stupid if written correctly. Yup, I want this love to sound more realistic...especially since I'm planning on writing from a Pokemon POV, haha. I think I need to rethink how exactly my story is turning out, because it seems rather fake in parts, so your advice was really useful. (500) Days of Summer seems to have a lot of good reviews, so I might check it out (if my dumb connection doesn't die on me). Yeah, you and Negrek both made me realize that the main problem was the flowery and melodramatic language, so I'm going to rewrite everything I have so far. Haha, yeah, the character is actually pretty damn desperate but I have to write it in a way, that doesn't sound like purple prose. Thank you for taking the time to write all of this, Breezy! <3

PokemonHero: ...Unfortunately I've been trying for the last 3 days to get tickets for Avatar but with no luck. So I don't know how the romance in that movie is. D: But I get what you're trying to say; don't worry, you got your point across! I'll also work extra hard to think more like the characters, thanks a lot!

Yami Ryu: Haha, that's okay. :3 I remember liking Beauty and the Beast, but it's been so many years since I last watched it. Maybe this is the best time to rewatch it again. Thanks for the help, though!

Negrek: You hit the nail on the head! I generally don't have that much trouble from first person perspective, but for some reason romance is much harder for me. Thanks, Negrek! I'll be sure to cut out most of the overblown language. :)

Pkmn Breeder Jack

Static owns you.
Eh, though I do write romance into my fic, I'm not that good at giving advice. I can't give you any help on great techniques to write it any less cheesy, but I think I can help you make it more believable.

Make sure the two characters have very defined personalities, and make sure it's the personalities that attracts them. The worst thing you can do in romance is make it all about the looks. You end with no substance to the relationship. But apparently, Stephanie Meyer was somehow able to pull this off. >.> Anyway, just make sure the characters have good personalities. It also helps to give them something not too desirable, so in the romance they can overcome said fault.

So there's my two cents, hope it helps. xP

Burnt Flower

Horror Mistress
Eh, though I do write romance into my fic, I'm not that good at giving advice. I can't give you any help on great techniques to write it any less cheesy, but I think I can help you make it more believable.

Make sure the two characters have very defined personalities, and make sure it's the personalities that attracts them. The worst thing you can do in romance is make it all about the looks. You end with no substance to the relationship. But apparently, Stephanie Meyer was somehow able to pull this off. >.> Anyway, just make sure the characters have good personalities. It also helps to give them something not too desirable, so in the romance they can overcome said fault.

So there's my two cents, hope it helps. xP

Don't worry, looks are not very important here. XD They also have pretty well-defined personlaities, though I'm thinking of overhauling my one-shot altogether.

Oh, don't get me started on Twilight...*shudders*

Thanks for the help! :)

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Hee, I love romance, it's really one of my favorite genres to write/read/watch as long as it's not TOO kissy and all that. Sweet, pure romance is what I generally like. Let's see what I can put down without scaring you away or ruining it.

When I think of pure romance, one of the things I see is that the love blooming between two people is slow and filled with obstacles, something that I don't believe is cliché, but it's common, since you don't want the two to become a couple very quickly. It disappoints the reader (most, anyway) to know that they haven't really gone through anything that proves that they love each other.

Another is that the guy and/or girl respects the other and overlooks their flaws or tries to help them overcome the flaws to make them a better person. It's friendship, you could say, and friendship is a nice way to start it off and turn it into romance later on.

One thing I enjoy about pure romance is that the man actually values the woman dearly and shows kindness and respectable admiration for her. He is willing to wait for her if he has to, and doesn't dare take away her prized virtues unless she is willing to be with him forever. This is one of my favorite and almost-underused values of love because it deals with patience. People just want to hurry, hurry, hurry and not take the time to know the person and think about the future and/or any consequences. I am always guaranteed to like/love the story if it has this ideaology in it, as it gives us the big picture of who this boy/man really is. And personally, if that's the case, I'd want him and her to get together, get married, and make babies |3.

One other thing is to stay away from the sparklies, though I think you already knew that.

I don't know how much help that was to you, but if you're still iffy about it, you can read some romance from the Medieval days (which isn't the romance we know today) for some inspiration and to maybe borrow some chivalry. Or, you can try looking for the short half-hour movie called Johnny Lingo that may (or may not, depending on what it is you're really looking for) help you, as it deals with the true value of love. I don't know if you've heard of it or not, but I'm sure you might have heard the phrase "eight-cow woman" or somewhere along those lines, because in a Polynesian island, the practice for engagement was to give the father of the bride cows. Usually, a woman was paid with two or up to I believe five cows depending on how rich the man was. Johnny Lingo said he'd pay the woman's father eight cows for her hand in marriage, even though everyone including her father said she was ugly and not worthy of such a bargain. I'm not going to talk about this unless you want me to finish it, since we need to move on :3.

It's different with every person, but I'd stay away from kissy scenes unless you think it's really cute/necessary in this case if you're going for the pure romance.

I don't know if I'm on the same page as you are, but hopefully I at least gave a good advice or something like that xD. Or tried to, anyway.