• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Help with my art?

Chira5

Hi, I was just wondering if you guys could provide some criticisms, comments and advice on my art. I really want to improve on my colouring and my poses so if you could help with that, that would be great. Here are two pics to start off with, pretty recent.

Ninetales/Ekans battle (the ekans is using "shed skin") = http://fc03.deviantart.com/fs37/f/2008/279/c/6/_Shed_Skin__by_AzureWave.png
Pidgeot WIP = http://i39.*******.com/2q33dzn.png

You guys could also discuss colouring techniques and stuff in this thread if you like. :D

Edit:

Pidgeot WIP in stages:-

WIP1 = http://i39.*******.com/2q33dzn.png
WIP2 = http://i42.*******.com/1629w14.jpg

Last edited:

Supergalactic

Space Case
Your coloring is great, but ninetales pose is a bit odd to me. I can't tell if she's jumping or not and it sort of looks like she's standing on her tails. Her left paw also looks strange, perhaps because of the lack of detail in the toes/ paw pads?

Edit: Apparently the server going down while I'm posting forces me to lose half of my reply-so I'll summarize...

The shed skin effect you put on ekans is really cool. Your shading is also nice and I like how it makes ekans new skin look all shiny.

I understand that action poses are very difficult to draw. I always look up stock images of animals as a reference when I draw poke'mon in unusual poses as drawing action from your head is very difficult.

Last edited:

Raunchy_fad

Ooh, maaaan!
Hahaha, man.
I think I'm a bit too amateur an artist myself to give you any real criticisms, but personally I think you did a great job.
I especially like the Pidgeot, even though it's unfinished. I'm the kind of gal who likes personality in drawings like this, and that thunder-pigeon looks like a jolly folk, no doubt.

Yeah, so good for you.

anime_aficionada

Shameless prick. :3
Well, my post's along the lines of Super Galactic's one. The legs of the Ninetales looks kinda... uh... odd? I think you buffed it up too much, mainly around the joints, and the face looks too narrow, but I can't say much as I could never achieve any piece artwork like you have.

But, other than the said criticism, there's nothing wrong with the image, and definitely no flaws in the colouring as far as I can see.

Chira5

Thank you very much everyone, your comments are lovely. ^^
I appreciate the criticism, especially the ones concerning the pose. Yup, I know it is a bit off ((I think I was having difficulty deciding which pose to use in the first place)), but I definetly see what you mean.
Ah yes SuperGalactic, a lot of people have recommended using references. I tend not to use them and draw from my head, so I should really start looking at photos. :D
Thanks again!

DanChimchar

Friends are Diamonds
Your Ninetails is perfect I love it, you seem fine you got the good shading and drawing. All I can say is try to find shading colors that go good, which I can see you already know how to so your fine :D

Dattebayo

Banned
Your Ekans vs. Ninetales battle is awesome as it somehow reminds me a lot about the Naruto vs. Orochimaru battle.

hollythesnare

master snare ;)
These are fabulous works of art :) Wow, you have some true bragging rights on these pal. Im envious, ive gotta say. lol

But in all seriousness, you leave very little room for improvement. your skills with the program your using is very advanced. Im guessing photoshop right?

The only things I could say about them (they are small of course). But its hard to find an established source of light. You have beautiful lighting and coloring but its difficult to tell where all of that light is coming from on your characters. In other words, "wheres the sun?", I suppose.

But wow. No need to worry about your art. They are both beautiful and the Pidgeot's expression is just heart warming :) awesome job with both!

Chira5

Thanks again everybody. :D
Yes, I usually use MS Paint for a rough sketch and then use Photoshop for the colouring.
I have a few MS Paint pics, they tend to look like this:-
http://fc23.deviantart.com/fs31/f/2008/217/2/0/_King__by_AzureWave.png

Yes hollythesnare, I see where you're coming from. To be honest, it's usually something that I don't focus on as much as I should. ^^;

I've finished the pidgeot picture, if you guys wanted to see it and comment:-
http://fc50.deviantart.com/fs39/f/2009/002/2/3/_The_Last_One__by_AzureWave.png

kirby8933083

mai husbando
Oh wow, that finished Pidgeot drawing looks amazing. The background, pokemon, expressions, even adding in the specific berries. I'm impressed.

So, that Aracnine picture is just a rough drawing? It's pretty good, but it's not as good as your photoshopped colored pictures. But in the MS picture, Aracnine's front legs look a little thinner than they should be, it's jaw also looks a little too small and the nose is too long. Don't get me wrong though, it still looks amazing. Very good job.

kirby8933083

mai husbando
Oh wow, that finished Pidgeot drawing looks amazing. The background, pokemon, expressions, even adding in the specific berries. I'm impressed.

So, that Aracnine picture is just a rough drawing? It's pretty good, but it's not as good as your photoshopped colored pictures. But in the MS picture, Aracnine's front legs look a little thinner than they should be, it's jaw also looks a little too small and the nose is too long. Don't get me wrong though, it still looks amazing. Very good job.

Hyper Chibi Absol

The Dark Goddess
I'll criticise you if you criticise me. xD

You art is awesome. I hoenestly see something wrong with them. :3