• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Here Comes The Squirtle Squad! (012)

Watched the dub version and the sub version again.

The only notable changes were the riceballs/onigiri being called eclairs and stuff (I lol'ed at this for some reason), bombs being called blaster balls (eh, good enough for me-- silly change, but meh), and Misty's hair color being threatened to be colored purple instead of death (biggest change, but I think it was funny).

4Kids kept the guns intact, which was nice.

Aside from that, the voice acting was great in the dub and the sub, the script writing was awesome in both versions, and overall this was a very good and enjoyable episode.

Sub: 99.2/100
Dub: 91.5/100

Last edited:

Benny™

Best Wishes Do Come True Under The Sun & Moon
I find it stupid but funny at the same time that the big threat was Misty's hair turning purple, she can wash it out! :D

Still, I think this was the best of the starter Pokemon episodes.

In Japan, the threat is Misty getting killed.

Yikes!

When I saw James holding a gun, I was thinking "Um... James is holding an assault rifle, why?"
Then more weaponry was shown, then some bombs. That was quite a bit of artillery shown in a (approximate) minute-and-a=half time frame.

Neat that Ash get's his final starter Pokemon, giving him a full team of six Pokemon. :)

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I liked how the Squirtle Squad went after Team Rocket's food and that Meowth negotiated with them to set him free. I thought that the scene where Pikachu was attacked by a wild Goldeen was so contrived though. Gary's cameo was neat though, as was seeing actual rifles in the show. I'm surprised 4Kids kept them in.

Iblistech

Simply Fabulous
I'm extremely glad that this episode wasn't banned in the US, otherwise I would not have been happy at all. I didn't care too much about the presence of weaponry anyway, since I was mainly focused on the Squirtle Squad the whole time for the most part.

After all, they partially swayed my choice of which Kanto Starter I was going for back in the good old days, even though I was aiming for Squirtle at the very beginning in the first place. :D

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I thought the Squirtle squad was really disrespectful and I was upset that they teamed up with Team rocket but hey at least we saw them turn over a new leaf by the end when they stopped that wildfire that Team rocket caused. :)

keepitsimple

site of lies
Never really found this episode particularly enjoyable. The good thing was that it introduced Squirtle, one of Ash's most iconic pokemon, and he was captured here so the episode was good in that regard.

Line of the day: "These are ice packs we're gunning, I mean ice guns we're packing."

JudySpell

Banned
I thought the Squirtle squad was really disrespectful and I was upset that they teamed up with Team rocket but hey at least we saw them turn over a new leaf by the end when they stopped that wildfire that Team rocket caused. :)

The Squirtles were really rude and messed up but given their pasts I don't blame em too much. They were just acting out to get attention.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
The Squirtles were really rude and messed up but given their pasts I don't blame em too much. They were just acting out to get attention.

Well I know they got abandoned by their trainers but I didn't think that was a good excuse for holding Misty hostage and stealing from people. ^^

keepitsimple

site of lies
Well I know they got abandoned by their trainers but I didn't think that was a good excuse for holding Misty hostage and stealing from people. ^^

Well the point is they are distrusting of humans, so if they don't trust humans to help them, they obviously wouldn't go and ask politely for something they would need; they would resort to stealing right away.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
What I liked about this episode is that it debuted the Squirtle Squad, which Ash caught the Leader later. The Squirtle Squad was fairly troublesome in this episode, otherwise, nothing much.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Well the point is they are distrusting of humans, so if they don't trust humans to help them, they obviously wouldn't go and ask politely for something they would need; they would resort to stealing right away.

That sounds true I guess I was just upset that they assumed every human was bad, but thinking back their experiences with humans must've been really traumatic so it's understandable I suppose.

Gillachu

Banned
I'm extremely glad that this episode wasn't banned in the US, otherwise I would not have been happy at all. I didn't care too much about the presence of weaponry anyway, since I was mainly focused on the Squirtle Squad the whole time for the most part.

I expected that the scene with the guns would've been cut lol, but surprisingly it was left alone. 4Kids was weird when it came to editing...

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I expected that the scene with the guns would've been cut lol, but surprisingly it was left alone. 4Kids was weird when it came to editing...

The gun barrel pointing at Ash scene happened pretty quick however, so that's prolly why they didn't bother removing it. :D

Leonhart

Imagineer
It's funny in an ironic way that Satoshi was inches from Shigeru when he was running to the town's shop, yet the two of them completely missed each other. Also, as much as I pitied Zenigame's gang, they were acting like rascals. So I don't blame the townspeople for hating them.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
I liked seeing the Squirtle Squad, even if they were a bunch of pranksters before at least they helped the town when they were needed, even though they also threatened to dye Misty's hair purple lol.