• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Here Comes The Squirtle Squad! (012)

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
I found the Squirtle squad hilarious. Ash's Squirtle really fit Ash well also because of its personality imo.

Is it bad that I feel as if Squirtle's personality kind of evaporated after this episode? He seemed lively here, but later he became vapid.

_LightMeww_

Squirtle was kind of a troll here. My favorite part of this episode was when Ash made it into town for Pikachu's medicine and accidentally got knocked out by Gary when he opened the store door.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Squirtle was kind of a troll here. My favorite part of this episode was when Ash made it into town for Pikachu's medicine and accidentally got knocked out by Gary when he opened the store door.

I'm shocked that Gary didn't even see Ash lol. I wish he had so that we'd see them exchange dialogue. :p

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
I'm surprised that the dub kept the guns here and not in the Dratini episode.

Yeah, what the heck was up with that? I guess maybe it was because people are more likely to own handguns then rifles.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I'm surprised that the dub kept the guns here and not in the Dratini episode.

The rifles in this episode might've been kept because they were only on-screen for a few seconds during the scene where Satoshi entered the shop, unlike in the Miniryu episode where Kaiser actually used his pistols to shoot at the Rocket-dan (albeit as comic relief). That's just my hypothesis, however.

Vipsoccermaster

The rifles in this episode might've been kept because they were only on-screen for a few seconds during the scene where Satoshi entered the shop, unlike in the Miniryu episode where Kaiser actually used his pistols to shoot at the Rocket-dan (albeit as comic relief). That's just my hypothesis, however.
And continued use of pointing firearms at characters, so yeah. And even if the early dub banned this episode just because of firearms, it would leave a plot hole just like Episode 35. How did Ash obtain Squirtle?

Alloutℯ

Banned
I didn't think Ash catching Squirtle made sense. Ash and him didn't even communicate much, so Squirtle's 180 switch was nonsense.

Manchee

extra toasty
Ash getting Squirtle was a bit lame, honestly. Misty would have been the obvious choice, and knowing that she and Ash fight over Totodile later makes it worse that she doesn't end up getting either. It would have been so cute for her to own a Squirtle! She did spend a god bit of time with it during the episode, too. But boy did they hammer in "Ash loves and cares for his Pokémon!!!" in these early episodes, jeez.

This episode was jarring to watch with all of the guns and explosives included, but looking back on it as an adult, it reminded me of an old animé like Cowboy Bepop or something in the way that Jessie and James ambushed the store and tried to run the Squirtle Squad out of town. I like that a lot about this episode, honestly.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I didn't think Ash catching Squirtle made sense. Ash and him didn't even communicate much, so Squirtle's 180 switch was nonsense.

I figure that since Satoshi risked himself to save Pikachu, that it showed Zenigame how some trainers could be trusted, which made Zenigame gain faith in Satoshi.

So is it true that the Squirtle Squad threatened to kill Misty in this episode if Ash didn't make it back in time?? They seemed hardcore and I feel less sympathetic towards them.

gentwoer

So is it true that the Squirtle Squad threatened to kill Misty in this episode if Ash didn't make it back in time??
True

They seemed hardcore and I feel less sympathetic towards them.

Hey remember the part in the dub where it turned out they were JOKING about dying Misty's hair purple?

Well replace dying Misty's hair purple with threatening to kill Misty and there you go.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Zenigame threatening Kasumi in the original version did seem unnerving, but then again, I highly doubt that they would've gone through with their threat. They didn't seem like killers.

gentwoer

Ash gets the last Kanto starter and completes his Pokemon team as of this episode. The real interesting part of watching this episode was all the odd localization choices by 4kids

This is actually the first time rice balls are called donuts and I guess they kind of look like powdered donuts with chocolate sprinkles? I guess? This isn't as baffling as 4kids hiding ramen in episode 2 but they could have probably been okay with calling them rice balls. Kids know what rice is. They could have figured out what rice balls are.

Team Rocket tells the store patrons that they have ice guns yet they shoot rose petals out. Some guy says its snowing but yeaaah its snowing rose petals I guess?

If Misty was only in danger of getting her hair dyed purple then why the visual of her falling to her demise when Ash comes back and doesn't find them. If direct death threats were too harsh why not use vague terms like "If you're not back by noon tomorrow the red head girl gets it?"

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
This episode was decent. I felt sorry for Pikachu (and later Ash) when they were attacked by Goldeen's Horn Attack. The group not having Super Potions at all puzzled me. I liked the fact the rest of the Squirtle Squad had become firefighters by the end.
7/10

Leonhart

Imagineer
This episode was decent. I felt sorry for Pikachu (and later Ash) when they were attacked by Goldeen's Horn Attack. The group not having Super Potions at all puzzled me.

The injured Pikachu scene always seemed contrived to me, because Takeshi always has Super Potions or medicine on hand in later episodes, but conveniently not in this one.