• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Heroes - Latios & Latias! (M05)

Alexander18

Dragon Pokemon fan
Good movie. Like how Latias and Latios are the stars of the movie. Wished Latios lived at the end. 8/10 for a good effort.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I heard that Anne and Oakley weren't part of TR in the Japanese version

Yea apparently them being with Team Rocket was only added in the dub. Still, I liked finally having female pokemon film villains even tho they weren't exactly unique.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
What was with the bad blue tint in this movie? When I got the home video version like 15 years ago, it pissed me off that the colors looked so dark and gritty. The Secret Garden was such a good insert song though. My fave thus far.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
What was with the bad blue tint in this movie? When I got the home video version like 15 years ago, it pissed me off that the colors looked so dark and gritty. The Secret Garden was such a good insert song though. My fave thus far.

I didn't notice a tint when I watched this film, tho some scenes did look too dark. And I agree that the Secret Garden song was amazing. I still remember trying to figure out the lyrics cuz they were sung in English, but were hard to understand.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I didn't notice a tint when I watched this film, tho some scenes did look too dark.

Depends on which version you saw. As far as I know, only the dubbed VHS version had a dark tint added to it. I don't know if the DVD version did, though. The Japanese version had no such tint.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Depends on which version you saw. As far as I know, only the dubbed VHS version had a dark tint added to it. I don't know if the DVD version did, though. The Japanese version had no such tint.

I saw the VHS version which came with two promo cards hee hee. In fact one of my main reasons for purchasing this film was cuz of the special Latios and Latias cards. I do wonder why the dub added that tint tho. It seems unnecessary. :[

ZilverLox

Banned
Good movie! As for who it was who kissed Ash, I think it was Bianca. I think she was too shy too admit her feelings for Ash directly, but she could do so if she pretended to be Latias. After all, anyone can keep their mouth shut. But it could be that Bianca made the drawing for Latias and that it was Latias who was at the pier. Who knows. One thing I don't completely understand though was why Ash saw two Latios and one Latias as he was leaving Alto Mare. I thought that Latios had died?

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I've learned that apparently they inteded Latias to stay with Ash for the rest of Johto. I wonder how that would've ended up

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
One thing I don't completely understand though was why Ash saw two Latios and one Latias as he was leaving Alto Mare. I thought that Latios had died?

I don't think that it was explained who the two Latios were during that final scene cuz it happened while the film's credits were rolling, although I myself assumed that they were the spirits of Latias' father and brother who were still guarding the city.

ZilverLox

Banned
I myself assumed that they were the spirits of Latias' father and brother who were still guarding the city.

But Latios was "dead", and I don't think his spirit or soul or whatever was capable of protecting Alto Mare. It's just sort of confusing how his soul was resurrected if it was really him at the end.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
I've learned that apparently they inteded Latias to stay with Ash for the rest of Johto. I wonder how that would've ended up

I don't remember this tidbit since I haven't seen this movie in ages. Was this even stated in the movie, or was it said elsewhere? Latias randomly joining the cast would've been awkward after she kissed Ash. :s

RedJirachi

Veteran member
But Latios was "dead", and I don't think his spirit or soul or whatever was capable of protecting Alto Mare. It's just sort of confusing how his soul was resurrected if it was really him at the end.

Maybe that's his reincarnation

zdbz_sn

Another film I didn't feel up to writing a full-blown review for, but I came away with comments and a lot of questions:

1. I don’t get the point of an introductory sequence at the front of these movies. Who watches a pokefilm without knowing something about Pokemon? To say nothing of the fifth one?

2. Beautiful intro. I love the storybook animation.

3. Anyone else wish the Tour de Alto Mare played a bigger role in the plot? Like, much bigger? Like,” the whole movie could’ve been set against the backdrop of that contest the way Revelation Lugia was set against the backdrop of the festival” bigger? I don’t pretend to know how exactly the plot would work, but it’d be more interesting than the backdrop of “let’s laze around Venice,” however pretty it looks.

4. Even without being the backdrop of the whole movie, wouldn’t the Soul Dew being part of the Tour de Alto Mare medal have given that contest more significance to the plot? It’s a cool, Bond-type opening on its own, but it would’ve been nice to have it matter. You’d have to re-work the whole “needs to be in water” thing, but…

5. Why don’t Misty and Brock go after Ash when both he and Pikachu disappear on the way to ice cream? Why don’t they follow after him when he suddenly runs out of the museum? Why don’t they have any reaction at all to how strangely he’s acting at this point in the plot?

6 What was with Johto and giving pokemon crushes on Ash? (Especially when there was a certain human being with a crush on him that could’ve used more development…)

7. Takeshi Shudo, rest his soul, never did get to have his pokefilm with a reanimated T. Rex, but this plot of reviving fossil pokemon is as close as they came, and frankly, is a better angle to take on such an idea in this universe IMO.

8. I prefer the dub edit to turn Anne and Oakley into Team Rocket agents, but while they aren't bland, they don't do much for me as villains either. And the TRio were as pointless to the story as they usually are.

9. Since Misty has Ash’s pokeballs, why didn’t she release his Pokemon and send them to him, instead of sending hers and Brock’s?

10. In all walks of life, I try to be aware of my biases, and I’m certainly aware of them here when it comes to Misty, one of my favorite characters from this show and from anime in general. Stepping back to look at the big picture - she got the best role any travelling companion got in these flicks, courtesy of Revelation Lugia, and she and Brock both got good roles in Spell of the Unown. When it comes to Ash’s friends getting something to do in these movies, Misty did quite well for herself. So if I’m going to get indignant over the poor treatment of travelling companions in these movies, I should probably get indignant for poor Brock, who was sidelined in all but the third, or Tracey, sidelined in his one, any of the others that never came close to a substantial arc.
…But this is a movie set in a Venice-inspired city, surrounded by water and opening with a water-based tournament. You can’t give Misty something to do!? She and Brock have even less going on here than in 4Ever!

11. Like 4Ever before it, Heroes leaves Ash sidelined as well, in the sense that he’s not really invested in the plot going on so much as he’s unlucky enough to get caught up in it, and like 4Ever, he doesn’t really end up being the tool of victory that later movies would use him as. So for all the screentime he hogs here, he really doesn’t earn it.

12. That was definitely Latias who gave the kiss, and considering the reaction Melody got for the same thing and Macy got for less, that little dragon got off easy.

13. The thieves of Movie 5 reading up on the collection of the human catalyst from Movie 2? Sequel fodder, or blown opportunity? (It’s the Pokemon anime; what do you think?)

…Guess I had more to say on that one than I thought. On a technical level, it’s solid, it keeps up the OS film tradition of aiming for a true cinematic scope, and on paper, there’s a lot here that should interest me; Dragon-types, legends, a beautiful setting and a different type of villain. But to be honest, I was kind of bored. Again, on a technical level, it’s more well put-together than, say, Mewtwo Strikes Back, but if it avoids that film's low lows, it never hits its high highs, and it lacks the ambition and daring that that entry had. Its many questions frustrate me, but in a way, that makes me want to watch it again before I’d rewatch, say, the Sinnoh trilogy. Very puzzling movie, this.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned

Well his spirit may've just been reincarnated or perhaps when we saw him flying with Latias at the end, it might've simply been symbolic to show that the city will always have guardians. I agree that the ending scene was confusing however. ^^;

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
I'm 99% sure that the Latios that Ash saw flying by was Latios's spirit. I've always hated how the dub skipped the origin story of Alto Mare in the beginning, though; that, and they butchered the city's name...

Leonhart

Imagineer
3. Anyone else wish the Tour de Alto Mare played a bigger role in the plot? Like, much bigger? Like,” the whole movie could’ve been set against the backdrop of that contest the way Revelation Lugia was set against the backdrop of the festival” bigger? I don’t pretend to know how exactly the plot would work, but it’d be more interesting than the backdrop of “let’s laze around Venice,” however pretty it looks.

The Pokemon Water Race definitely seemed underutilized in this movie's plot since we only saw a few minutes of it. I was glad that Kasumi won it, but I would've liked to see more of Rossi, too.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
Loved the movie, even if it was a sad one. The scenery in the Secret Garden was just fantastic. The little shipping moment was nice, I do believe that it was actually Latias who kissed Ash at the end of the film. I felt sorry for Latios when he was trapped in the DMA and subsequently had to sacrifice himself to stop the tidal wave.
9/10

Leonhart

Imagineer
The little shipping moment was nice, I do believe that it was actually Latias who kissed Ash at the end of the film.

To this day, I still wonder why certain viewers thought that Canon was the one who kissed Satoshi. She had barely spoken to Satoshi throughout the whole movie, so it seemed clear that Latias - who had bonded with Satoshi - delivered the kiss.

Alloutℯ

Banned
Alto Mare was based on Venice I think, but what stood out to me more was the soundtrack and the Secret Garden song, which sounded French and had a cool rhythm.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Alto Mare was based on Venice I think, but what stood out to me more was the soundtrack and the Secret Garden song, which sounded French and had a cool rhythm.

The Secret Garden insert song was actually sung in English by a Japanese vocalist named MADOKA. I did hear a subtle European tone in her singing voice when she enunciated certain words, although perhaps that was due to the Europop feel of the song in general.