• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Hero's Bond [PG 13]

Shadow Lucario

Lone Vanguard
Hey guys. New chapter finally. This was probably one of the toughest chapters for me to write probably due to all the characters that are present. I tried my hardest to make it work and I hope I did a good job. Here's chapter 23! Why haven't Jayden/Kaylie been nominated in the Fan Fiction Awards?

Chapter 23: The Dark Day

A large pillar of light shot up into the sky, its brilliance shining across the city. All the shadows instantly vanished, light rushing through alleyways and backstreets. Far off in the distance, Doris began to cackle, her head reeling back. She pushed her hood down to reveal short black hair, nearly as short as Jayden’s.

“That’s the signal of Team Lustrous’ victory,” Doris explained, pointing at the light. “It means that the city is now under our control.”

“Why are you people doing this?!” Jayden asked, gritting his teeth.

“You children don’t understand anything,” Phil said as he shook his head. “This city is one of the most populated cities in the Johto region. If we can wipe out this one then no other city has a chance.”

“So you want to destroy your own country?!” Kaylie said, taken aback.

Doris approached Kaylie slowly, a smile on her face. The girl backed up once she got near, but the woman grabbed her, pulling her close. Jayden’s grip tightened on another Poké Ball as he raised his arm. Aipom placed his hand in front of Jayden, stopping him from interfering. Doris simply looked Kaylie over, laughing slightly.

“Our country, you say?” Doris asked. “This country has done nothing for us but cause us strife. We joined with Aeolus because he showed us the light. We must destroy the oppressors that refuse to see our light and anyone who wrongs us.”

“What is this light that you people keep talking about?!” shouted Jayden. “All I ever see you guys do is wreak havoc! You commit crimes and hurt people! This can’t be light! Light is supposed to be good, benevolent!”

“Foolish boy!” Doris spat at him. “The light isn’t something that acts for just one group of people. Even if you must dirty your hands, you must do what you need to survive.”

“Enough talk!” Phil shouted. “Mightyena, smash them!”

The large grey hound bounded towards Kaylie, his mouth wide open. Just in the nick of time, Aipom slammed the hand at the end of his tail into the dog’s face. Mightyena was sent spiraling into a large pile of rubble, crashing through it. Shaking the dust off, Mightyena let out a howl before dashing back towards Aipom.

“Umbreon,” Doris called, “show them Quick Attack.”

“Pidgeotto, stop that Umbreon with Wing Attack!” Jayden commanded.

In the blink of an eye, Umbreon appeared next to Aipom, the purple monkey hardly noticing the fox’s presence. Diving down towards the two, Pidgeotto folded his wings in, slightly picking up speed.

“Iron Tail, now!” Doris shouted.

Before Pidgeotto could reach them, Umbreon nailed Aipom with his glowing tail, pushing Aipom in Mightyena’s direction. The dog opened his mouth once more and bit down on Aipom’s midsection, the small monkey letting out a painful scream. With a quick toss, Mightyena threw Aipom into Pidgeotto, knocking the latter out of the air. Umbreon jumped above them, his tail glowing once more. The Dark type perfectly executed a front flip, using the momentum to bring more force down on Aipom and Pidgeotto. The small pink sheep Lorin released jumped in between Umbreon and the grounded Pokémon, a small green force field appearing around her. Umbreon’s tail collided with the field, a loud crash sounding. Flipping back to his trainer, Umbreon smirked, knowing they had the upper hand.

“Pidgeotto, come back here,” Jayden called.

The bird Pokémon stood, shaking himself furiously. With a fierce look in his eye, Pidgeotto took off again, racing towards Umbreon. With a flap of his wing, Pidgeotto launched a small tornado towards Umbreon. Jumping to the side, the small fox easily avoided the tornado. As he turned back to face the Flying type, a shadow came over him, Pidgeotto’s talons in his face. With a quick slash, Pidgeotto cut Umbreon across the muzzle, the latter stumbling backwards.

“Empoleon get in there!” Hope shouted, pointing towards Umbreon. “Hit them with Hydro Pump!”

Dashing forward, Empoleon raced towards the Dark Pokémon, an angry look in his eye. Umbreon quickly turned, snarling at the approaching Water type. A large ball of black energy began to form in Umbreon’s mouth, becoming the size of a large beach ball. The ball launched out of Umbreon’s mouth and rocketed towards Empoleon. Drawing in a deep breath, Empoleon released a large stream of water. The pressure behind the water pushed the energy ball back, crashing into Umbreon.

The small fox slid on the ground back to his trainer before rolling back onto his feet. Shaking all the water off, Umbreon stared Empoleon down, becoming uninterested in Pidgeotto. Flying in, Pidgeotto waved his wing towards Umbreon’s back. The Dark type disappeared in an instant, reappearing behind Pidgeotto. With a quick flip, Umbreon slammed his glowing tail into the bird, knocking him back to the ground.

“What?!” Jayden exclaimed.

“You think Umbreon has been serious at all?” Doris asked with a chuckle. “Oh no; he’s been testing you and you’ve failed. Now let’s see how your friend can do.”

“Mightyena, eat them whole!” Phil yelled.

“Aipom, stop him with Iron Tail!” Kaylie shouted.

Aipom jumped at the hound, his tail glowing. Swinging it around, the hand at the end bashed Mightyena in the face. The dog smirked, seemingly taking no damage from the attack. With a quick chomp, Aipom’s tail was in Mightyena’s mouth. The monkey screamed out in pain as he was slammed into the ground. Keeping a grip on Aipom, Mightyena jumped into the air, letting the Normal type go as he reached the peak of his jump at about ten feet. Just before Aipom hit the ground, the hound slammed his body into the monkey’s, sending Aipom crashing into a fallen building. No movement was seen from Aipom’s direction as a small cloud of smoke cleared.

“Aipom, no!” Kaylie cried.

“Empoleon, Hydro Pump!” Hope shouted.

With a deep breath, Empoleon dashed towards Umbreon, the latter crouching low. Empoleon swung one of his fins at Umbreon, but the fox was too quick. He swiftly jumped to the side, executing a barrel roll. The Water type turned his head and opened his beak, water rocketing out and slamming Umbreon into the ground. Skidding to a stop, Empoleon made his way back towards Umbreon who jumped back to his feet as soon as he hit the ground. The tip of Empoleon’s fin began to glow as the penguin began to slash at Umbreon, each attack barely missing.

“Shadow Ball,” Doris commanded.

With his back to a wall, Umbreon quickly charged a ball of black energy. Just before he could launch it, Empoleon slashed him in the side, pushing him through the concrete. Slightly coughing, Umbreon attempted to stand, struggling to get to his feet. With a look of determination, Umbreon sprinted back towards Empoleon, slamming his body into the penguin. The tackle moved Empoleon a few inches, hardly hurting him. Another quick swing sent Umbreon flipping backwards, landing on the ground with a thud.

“Umbreon!” Doris shouted. “Get up! We can’t lose here!”

“You got cocky and took too much damage battling the others,” Hope said, a smirk on her face. “It’s over.”

“Hit Mightyena with Thunderbolt!” Lorin yelled.

His small pink sheep jumped forward, her wool flashing yellow. A bolt of lightning shot out of her wool, hitting Mightyena head on. Small waves of electricity covered Mightyena’s body as the hound shook slightly. Growling at the sheep, Mightyena bared his teeth before dashing towards her.

“Flaaffy, show him your Iron Tail!” Lorin commanded.

With her tail glowing, Flaaffy waited until Mightyena was only inches in front of her. A quick spin slammed her tail into his jaw; the same exact spot Aipom had hit him. The dog was sent spiraling into a collapsed building, jumping out soon after.

“Does that thing not know how to stay down?!” Lorin exclaimed.

“My Mightyena does not know what defeat is and will not accept anything that is not victory,” Phil told him, laughing a bit. “There’s no way you can beat me. Give in now, kid.”

“Try a Fire Punch!” Lorin told her.

Mightyena raced towards Flaaffy, a menacing look in his eye. Readying herself, Flaaffy drew her fist back as it caught fire, waiting on the right moment to strike. Just as before, Flaaffy waited until Mightyena was inches away. Throwing her punch, Flaaffy closed her eyes, but to her surprise she hit nothing. Opening her eyes, Flaaffy saw Mightyena under her arm, mouth open.

“Fire Fang!” Phil yelled.

Every one of Mightyena’s teeth became engulfed in flames, the heat focused on Flaaffy’s midsection. At the very last second, Flaaffy attempted to jump back, but Mightyena took hold, shaking the Electric type all over the place. With a toss, Mightyena launched Flaaffy into the air.

“Finish it with Giga Impact!” Phil shouted.

As Flaaffy fell, Mightyena watched, waiting for the sheep to near the ground. Jumping above her, a purple sphere appeared around him as the hound fell on top of Flaaffy. The two Pokémon crashed into the ground making debris and dust clouds fill the air. Flaaffy rolled out of the dust, holding her side, struggling to get to her feet.

“Flaaffy!” Lorin cried.

Pulling out her Poké Ball, Lorin tried to recall her, but the dust made it difficult for him to aim the ball. When he finally got a good view of his Pokémon, a small rock blocked the red beam as it shot out. Before he could attempt it again, Mightyena jumped out of the small hole that was created, slightly panting. Flaaffy fell to her side, inching her way back to Lorin.

“I’ve got you Flaaffy!” Lorin called as he ran to his Pokémon.

Just as he reached her, he felt a pressure around his neck. His eyes traveled downwards to see Phil’s large arm, clotheslining him. The wind was knocked out of him as he fell to the ground. Phil placed his foot on the red haired teen’s chest, chuckling as he looked down.

“This is our power,” said Phil, a smile on his face. “You can’t beat us kid. Your pal and his little gal will learn that soon too. Doris will tear ‘im apart.”

“No!” Lorin gasped, struggling under the man’s boot.

“I can’t ‘ave you causin’ us trouble.”

From his sleeve, Phil pulled out a lead pipe, a malicious grin slowly drawing itself across his face. Tears formed in Lorin’s eyes as he desperately struggled to free himself. The Team Lustrous officer gave him a quick kick to the side before raising the pipe above his head.

“That’s one down,” Phil said. Laughing loudly, a dull thud soon followed. Red stained the concrete as blood spilled across it.

Last edited:

Chapter

hello, im back sorta
This is really amazing. I feel myself attach to the characters as the story goes on, and makes me want to keep reading. The idea that there will be more of this pure gold reinforces my want to read! I looooveeeeee this story! The description is incredible!
Shadow Lucario said:
“That’s the signal of Team Lustrous’ victory,” Doris explained, pointing at the light. “It means that the city is now under our control.”
Every line is more important than the last.
Shadow Lucario said:
“That’s one down,” Phil said. Laughing loudly, a dull thud soon followed. Red stained the concrete as blood spilled across it.
Perfect! I can't wait for the next chapter!

fixthe_fernback

I am a fic-man
I just finished chapter 19. I have to say this story is moving a really great direction and is continuously getting better, chapter by chapter. I'll work on getting through the other chapters through out the week. Hopefully I'll be caught up before the next chapter is posted.

Sidewinder

Ours is the Fury
Sorry it took me awhile, buddy

Pretty inventive there. Goes well with 'Lustrous lol. Nicely done

All I ever see you guys do is wreak havoc! You commit crimes and hurt people! This can’t be light! Light is supposed to be good, benevolent!”

You're getting your point across, but for some reason I think that it comes off a bit too dramatic. Too much hero, if that makes sense. I know this is something that Jayden feel strongly about (and rightfully so), but it just read weird to me

The dog opened his mouth once more and bit down on Aipom’s midsection, the small monkey letting out a painful scream

Good, vivid imagery there. One question though, do actual animals exist in your approximation of the Pokemon world? or is the 'dog' classification just a genre of bipedal dog-like Pokemon. I feel like you haven't mentioned it one way or the other so I wanted to ask.

With a flap of his wing, Pidgeotto launched a small tornado towards Umbreon.

Like I said in the last chapter, description could make a passage like this even more real. Describe the effect the minuscule tornado had on the ground around it, the humans nearby, etc. I can envision a small tornado easily, but I would like to see you describe it a bit more. Cool?

With a fierce look in his eye, Pidgeotto took off again,

Empoleon raced towards the Dark Pokémon, an angry look in his eye.

That's twice you used in the eye pretty quickly. Be observant of stuff like that :)

Mightyena raced towards Flaaffy, a menacing look in his eye.

There it is again

Doris will tear ‘im apart.”

Why is that last portion in apostrophes then quotations?

Red stained the concrete as blood spilled across it.

Nicely done with that last line, gave me some chills. Really solid imagery there

All in all, you did a good job with the chapter (though, you'd be hard pressed to find write a chapter I don't like haha). The only things I would say would be beware of repeating yourself, like with the 'eyes' bits, and take the time to hammer in a little more description. You're chapters are a decent length, hell, they could even be longer; so taking a little more time for description would help greatly. As always, I'm floored for the next chapter :)

Shadow Lucario

Lone Vanguard
This is really amazing. I feel myself attach to the characters as the story goes on, and makes me want to keep reading. The idea that there will be more of this pure gold reinforces my want to read! I looooveeeeee this story! The description is incredible!

Every line is more important than the last.

Perfect! I can't wait for the next chapter!

Many thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed the chapter. Next chapter is being written as we type and I hope it's of the same quality. I feel that this chapter and the next connect in a way more than just taking place in the same day. You'll see what I mean.

I just finished chapter 19. I have to say this story is moving a really great direction and is continuously getting better, chapter by chapter. I'll work on getting through the other chapters through out the week. Hopefully I'll be caught up before the next chapter is posted.

No worries man. As I told you before, catch up at your own pace. I'm just happy that you're reading and enjoying it. You're nearly there and I think the rest is ~20 pages and that's a very large exaggeration. Not that much longer until you're caught up.

Sorry it took me awhile, buddy

Dude, give yourself credit. It was only about a week. :p That's relatively fast for the internet.

Pretty inventive there. Goes well with 'Lustrous lol. Nicely done

So you see what I did there? ;D

You're getting your point across, but for some reason I think that it comes off a bit too dramatic. Too much hero, if that makes sense. I know this is something that Jayden feel strongly about (and rightfully so), but it just read weird to me

I tried to tell Jayden to cut it out, but he doesn't listen to me anymore. Damn teenagers.

Good, vivid imagery there. One question though, do actual animals exist in your approximation of the Pokemon world? or is the 'dog' classification just a genre of bipedal dog-like Pokemon. I feel like you haven't mentioned it one way or the other so I wanted to ask.

The way I see it, the narrator is someone from our world informing us of the events going on in their world. So to better give the audience a picture of what's going on, the narrator uses things that will easily generate a picture. I think the narrator is female...Yeah.

Like I said in the last chapter, description could make a passage like this even more real. Describe the effect the minuscule tornado had on the ground around it, the humans nearby, etc. I can envision a small tornado easily, but I would like to see you describe it a bit more. Cool?

Gah! I failed you again! Won't let it continue captain!

That's twice you used in the eye pretty quickly. Be observant of stuff like that :)

See above. DX

There it is again

I think I may have a problem. O_O

Why is that last portion in apostrophes then quotations?

Since he drops the 'H' at the beginning of a word it would be improper to leave it as im. It's just like dropping the 'G' at the end of a word. Gunnin'. The apostrophe is only for 'im.

Nicely done with that last line, gave me some chills. Really solid imagery there

All in all, you did a good job with the chapter (though, you'd be hard pressed to find write a chapter I don't like haha). The only things I would say would be beware of repeating yourself, like with the 'eyes' bits, and take the time to hammer in a little more description. You're chapters are a decent length, hell, they could even be longer; so taking a little more time for description would help greatly. As always, I'm floored for the next chapter :)

Glad I could please. :) Just a quick heads up, I'm working on a one-shot that will act as a prequel to Hero's Bond. It will be a three part series that will tell three different narratives. So be on the lookout for those. Until next time.

Chapter

hello, im back sorta
Hey. Again. Sorry, these might go backwards or randomly through the story as I double-check.

Shadow Lucario said:
Just as he reached her, he felt a pressure around his neck. His eyes traveled downwards to see Phil’s large arm, clotheslining him. The wind was knocked out of him as he fell to the ground. Phil placed his foot on the red haired teen’s chest, chuckling as he looked down.
Shouldn't this be hyphened? Red is acting as an adjective to the word, "haired."
“Iron Tail now!” Doris shouted.
Should be, -"Iron Tail, now!" Doris shouted.- Forgot the comma.
“Our country you say?” Doris asked.
-"Our country, you say?" Doris asked.- Again.

That's all I've got pretty much. People said a ton, and I didn't read them so thoroughly, so I'm hoping I didn't repeat anything. LOL. I love it so far though!

Shadow Lucario

Lone Vanguard
Hey. Again. Sorry, these might go backwards or randomly through the story as I double-check.

Shouldn't this be hyphened? Red is acting as an adjective to the word, "haired."

Should be, -"Iron Tail, now!" Doris shouted.- Forgot the comma.

-"Our country, you say?" Doris asked.- Again.

That's all I've got pretty much. People said a ton, and I didn't read them so thoroughly, so I'm hoping I didn't repeat anything. LOL. I love it so far though!

No, I enjoy your input. Thanks for the corrections. Editing them in now.

fixthe_fernback

I am a fic-man
Wow. Just read chapter 23 and that final scene. Spectacular work, man, first-rate. I have to say though, if this is the end for Lorin, it feels a bit premature. I don't feel like we got to know him as well as we do the rest of the cast. On the other hand, if he pulls through, this could be the perfect opportunity to give a bit more backstory on him, maybe flesh out his personality more?

Regardless, it was a great chapter. I didn't see much in the way of grammar issues, however there were a few times where I feel like some sentences didn't flow very well. I don't remember anything specific though, just being distracted, so it's not a big deal.

Looking forward to the next chapter, SL!

5221A

Hi .Sorry for not responding to the chapters, I was on vacation and I was to lazy to respond from my phone. But yeah I'm back.
On chapter 20 this caught my eye:
Shaking it off, the Dark type slammed his tail on the ground. Taking off, Noctowl flew up, rocketing towards Tyranitar.
This just didn't flow well in my opinion. Maybe a paragraph after "slammed his tail on the ground." or maybe it was the "flew up,", they were inside a Pokemon center after all, and taking off already gives the idea of flying.
I think this flows better:
Shaking it off, the Dark type slammed his tail on the ground.

Taking off, Noctowl rocketed towards Tyranitar.
But that isn't something big, just me being a bit picky.
And on chapter 21 another small part that felt weird:
“I need to go and rescue him from Team Lustrous!”
That was something a little unnatural to say, more of something that a childhood friend from the games would say. It was common knowledge that she wants to "rescue" him from Team Lustrous. But no need to think about changing that, again just me being picky.
I am on chapter 23 right now but the past 3 chapters were great and well done I saw no spelling errors and really like the way that the battles of chapter 22 flowed, despite the way that they overcame Tyranitar was a little old, but the Noctowl attacking him directly was new. I was also very surprised when it was revealed that Hope has a Empoleon, I always thought she was one of those characters that have no potential at battling at all. As always nice description and plot. I will read chapter 23 by the end of today, but I probable won't review it to avoid double posting.
Just asking if I am still on the PM list if not can you put me back on it. Thanks.
EDIT: Changed my mind I'll just post this comment on something strange I found:
The dog smirked,
I din't know dogs could smirk. But I liked the chapter a little short but I'm cool with that.
Waiting for more. I'm out

Last edited:

Shadow Lucario

Lone Vanguard
Finally! The conclusion to the Third Faction arc is here! This chapter also marks the end of the small scuffle with Team Lustrous. Speaking of, don't forget to check out Before the Bond. It tells the story of Alexander before he became the second in command of Team Lustrous. Anyway, enjoy!

Chapter 24: Parting the Clouds

Pulling out a cigarette, Doris quickly lit it before taking a long drag, exhaling a large cloud of smoke. Her Umbreon slowly stood, his legs quivering as he gritted his teeth, throwing a nasty look in Empoleon’s direction.

“Umbreon, continuously use Moonlight,” Doris commanded. “The sun is nearly down so the slowly rising moon should heal you enough to continue and end this battle.”

Hope instantly looked up, seeing a faint moon hanging in the sky. It was hard to make out entirely in the orange horizon, but it was apparent that the rock was there. Raising his head, lights began to surround Umbreon, all of his wounds slowly vanishing.

“Empoleon, stop him with Metal Claw!” Hope shouted.

“Combine Moonlight with Agility,” Doris said, after taking another long drag of her cigarette.

With a smirk, Umbreon vanished, reappearing behind Empoleon. The penguin turned on his heels, swiping at the small fox, but his fin hit the ground. Umbreon once again reappeared behind Empoleon, even more light surrounding the Dark type. Puffing out his chest, Empoleon started to swing at Umbreon, but quickly slashed behind him as the latter vanished. A loud crack sounded as Empoleon’s fin slammed into Umbreon’s jaw, sending Umbreon reeling to the side.

“Now, Hydro Pump!” Hope yelled.

Umbreon shook his head, the lights around him vanishing. With a snarl, his tail began to glow as he dashed back towards Empoleon. The Water type took in a deep breath, releasing a large stream of water. With a quick side step, Umbreon narrowly avoided the water. Flipping over the stream, Umbreon’s tail nailed Empoleon in the face, the larger Pokémon stumbling backwards.

“Don’t stop your assault!” Doris shouted. “Faint Attack!”

Slowly disappearing into the air, Umbreon once again reappeared behind Empoleon, tackling him in the back. Before the Water type could react, Umbreon appeared in front of him, crashing into him again. The process repeated a few times before Empoleon fell to one knee, breathing heavily. Umbreon began to circle Empoleon, lights beginning to appear on the Dark type’s body.

“Empoleon, no…” Hope whispered. “We have to…we have to save him…”

“Like I told you before, he joined us of his own free will,” Doris told her, flicking her cigarette on the ground after one final drag. “He doesn’t want to be saved. Your brother enjoys what Team Lustrous can offer. Umbreon, end that oversized bird with Dark Pulse.”

A malicious smile appeared on Umbreon’s face as Empoleon struggled to stand. Memories of Sam ran through Empoleon’s head, reminding him of how happy Hope was back then. Hope let out a cry as she fell to the ground, tears rolling down her face. Empoleon quickly looked over. Seeing his trainer weep started a fire in his gut, slowly building up. Umbreon’s cackles fueled the fire, finally pushing Empoleon over the edge. The small fox fired a beam of purple rings from his mouth, aiming for Empoleon’s head. Letting out an ear-splitting roar, Empoleon jumped to his feet. His fins began to glow as he split the beam in half.

“Why are you so much trouble?!” Doris yelled. “Go down and stay down!”

A slight blue aura began to radiate off of Empoleon, a fierce look in his eye. With much more speed than he showed before, Empoleon appeared right beside Umbreon just as the latter had done before. Looking up, Hope wiped her tears away, amazed at Empoleon’s determination. With a quick downward swing, Empoleon slammed Umbreon into the ground, crushing the Dark type. Retreating back to his trainer’s side, the Water type placed a wing on her back. Looking into her Pokémon’s eyes, Hope stood, tears staining her face.

“Empoleon…” she whispered. “…thank you.”

“Umbreon, no matter how strong that Empoleon’s willpower is, his body can’t keep battling like this,” Doris explained. “Wear it down and strike the final blow.”

Umbreon nodded, crouching low. Empoleon glared at Doris as the woman lit another cigarette. The edge of Empoleon’s wings began to glow. Pointing one at Umbreon, Empoleon let out another roar that caused Umbreon to flinch slightly. Dashing forward, Empoleon began to furiously swing at the Dark type, each one missing by inches. In an instant, Umbreon’s tail began to glow as he slammed it into Empoleon’s side when the latter pulled his wings up for another swing. Saliva spilled out of the Water type’s mouth, instinctively grabbing for the spot that had been hit. Opening his mouth, Umbreon released another beam of purple rings which connected this time, sending Empoleon reeling back, landing on the ground with a loud thud.

“Empoleon!” Hope cried, tears welling up in her eyes once more.

“Keep using Dark Pulse,” Doris commanded, little to no emotion in her voice.

One after another, Umbreon fired beam after beam at Empoleon, a cry of pain coming from the penguin each time one hit. Hope tried to jump in front of her friend, but she tripped over her own feet, falling to the ground, unable to shield Empoleon. Umbreon stopped firing to see Empoleon barely moving. With a smirk, the Dark type charged up one final beam, launching it much faster than any other. Empoleon lifted his head to see the beam approaching him. With a smile, Empoleon accepted his fate, his only regret being that he couldn’t protect Hope and Sam. Closing his eyes, the Water type waited for the pain, but it never came. Reopening them, he saw Jayden standing in between him and Umbreon. Jayden’s arms were held up in front of him, blood dripping from the forearms.

“You battle me now!” Jayden declared, drawing a Poké Ball.

“Outta the way old man,” one of the men in white shouted.

“Now then boyo, is that any way to speak to an elder?” the old man asked, wheezing out a laugh.

“No matter who you are, you’ll be toast in a second! Claire and I will mop the floor with you!”

“Why do you always involve me in your plans, Trent?” a woman asked, walking to Trent’s side. Her uniform complimented her figure, leaving very little to the imagination. A long blonde bang hung in front of her right eye, the green color still visible through some strands.

“Heracross, time to fight!” Trent shouted as he tossed a Poké Ball.

Bursting from the light, a large beetle appeared. Its most noticeable feature was the large horn that protruded from its head. Opening the back of its exoskeleton, Heracross revealed two large wings, flapping them furiously, showing he was ready for battle.

“Houndoom, enter the field!” yelled Claire, throwing her own Poké Ball.

The light from her ball took the shape of a large canine Pokémon. It had sleek black fur and two large, curled horns. Snarling at the old man, Houndoom showed off his razor sharp fangs, his pointed tail slowly waving back and forth.

“Kean versus Claire and Trent?” the old man asked with a wheezing chuckle. “That’s hardly fair boyo. You’ll need more than that. Shatter, Blaziken!”

From underneath his cloak came a Poké Ball, releasing a tall humanoid Pokémon. The red color of its feathers seemed to shine, almost as if they were on fire. Beige colored feathers came down to the middle of its back, covering most of its chest. Flames appeared around Blaziken’s wrists as he readied himself, placing one hand in front of him.

“Heracross, Brick Break!” Trent ordered.

Heracross took off, flying towards Blaziken. The Bug type’s hand began to glow as he raised it. Both Kean and Blaziken chuckled. The Fire type grabbed Heracross’ hand, effectively stopping the attack. Heracross tried to pull back, but Blaziken’s grip was too strong.

“Flamethrower,” the old man calmly said.

“Houndoom, get in there and help Heracross,” shouted Claire. “Crunch attack!”

Flames appeared in Blaziken’s beak as he opened it. A hint of fear flashed across Heracross’ eye when he saw the fire. Jumping forward, Houndoom placed herself between Heracross and Blaziken, opening her mouth wide.

“Nice try love, but you’ll have to be faster than that!” Kean wheezed out, laughing hysterically. “Blaze Kick now!”

Just before Houndoom could grab hold, Blaziken’s flame enveloped foot cracked her in the side of the head, sending her reeling. At the same time, Blaziken released the flames, covering Heracross completely. The Bug type screamed in pain, falling to one knee.

“Show Houndoom a real Brick Break!” Kean shouted, still laughing slightly.

Just like Heracross before him, Blaziken’s hand began to glow. Houndoom lowered her head, waiting for Blaziken to approach her. Disappearing in a split second, Blaziken appeared behind Houndoom, his hand raised.

“Houndoom, jump forward!” Claire yelled.

With a forward leap, Houndoom narrowly avoided Blaziken. The Fire type’s fist cracked the concrete, creating a small hole. Breathing heavily, Heracross flew back towards Blaziken, throwing a series of punches. Blaziken only slightly stepped to the side, grabbing his arm on the last punch. Pulling his head back, Blaziken headbutted Heracross hard, sending him back towards Trent.

“Heracross no!” Trent yelled, running to his Pokémon’s side.

“Give up this fight,” Kean told them, his laughter stopping. His voice took on a much more serious tone, his eyebrows arching. “Leave this place and go home. You have families I’m sure. Go back to them and live your lives without worry of never seeing them again.”

“Don’t you look down on us!” snarled Trent, helping his Heracross up.

“Maybe we should retreat Trent…” Claire said, her voice slightly trembling. “This guy…he’s much stronger than I thought. There’s just no way we can win.”

“We can’t back down! Not now!” Trent clenched his fist tightly, his jaw tightening as well. “I won’t let Aeolus down! Never again!”

“Blaziken,” said Kean, turning to his Pokémon. “Now is the time to end it.”

“Lorin!” yelled Kaylie, running to his side. Kneeling down, Kaylie reached for him, but pulled her hand back.

“Flaaffy…saved me,” Lorin said, breathing heavily. He held his Pokémon close as she slept. “That man was about to kill me, but she used Protect in the nick of time to bounce the pipe back into him.”

Looking over at the large man, Kaylie noticed that he had been knocked unconscious, blood pooling around his head. Helping him up, Kaylie led Lorin back behind a crumbling building. She gritted her teeth as she continuously peaked around the corner.

“I…can’t do anything!” she cried, falling to her knees. Tears began streaming out of her eyes, breaking off her cheeks and hitting the cold stone. “Jayden and Hope are out there battling to protect us and I can’t even help!”

Lorin recalled Flaaffy, a sorrowful look on his face. One tear welled up in his eye, slowly trickling down his face. Wiping it quickly, he held out his hand in front of Kaylie.

“I believe we can help,” he told her. “We’ll just need to be the backup for now.”

Looking up at her friend, Kaylie took his hand, a small smile slowly appearing on her face. Taking a stand, she wiped her face on her sleeve.

“There you go sis,” a voice said from above them.

Both of the trainers quickly looked up to see Alexander sitting on the building, a smirk on his face. Shocked, Kaylie couldn’t think of what to say. Jumping from the roof, Alexander landed softly, his eyes closed.

“What do you want?” Lorin asked, quickly drawing a Poké Ball.

“I just wanted to see how my favorite sister was doing,” said Alexander, holding his hands in the air. “That and to tell this division that we’ve begun to move out.”

“Move out? What do you mean move out?” asked Kaylie.

“We’ve captured with this city,” Alexander told her, putting his back against the building. “The remaining units, which include the one that your friends are locked in battle with, are to move out and onto the next objective.”

“And what exactly is that?” Lorin asked, hostility in his voice.

“You may be my sister’s friend, but I owe a debt to Team Lustrous. I can’t just give you that information. You’ll have to find out yourselves.”

Before any more questions could be asked, Alexander walked out from behind the building and shouted to his fellow Team Lustrous members that they were to move onto the next phase of the plan. Beams of red light shot out, pulling various Pokémon back to their trainers. Trent ran over to Phil and dragged him off, recalling his Mightyena for him. Soon, all the Team Lustrous operatives vanished into the destroyed city, leaving no trace behind.

“No!” Jayden shouted, punching the ground.

“We’ll get them soon boyo,” Kean said, placing a hand on Jayden’s shoulder.

Hope fell to her knees, muttering something inaudible. Kaylie walked over to her and sat next to her, pulling Hope’s head onto her shoulder. Lorin picked up a rock and tossed it in a random direction.

“It’d be best if you left this city,” Piper told them, running to the small group. “Team Lustrous will be everywhere.”

“You’re right,” Jayden said. Once he stood, he looked over at Kaylie, noticing a small tear in her eye. Kaylie looked at Jayden as well, their eyes locking. He could read the expression on her face and knew exactly what she wanted to say. “Today…we lost. The next time we meet Team Lustrous, my Pokémon and I will be ten times stronger!”

“I’m with you buddy,” Lorin added.

“I won’t let them get away next time!” Hope suddenly shouted, standing on her own. “I’ll save my brother and take him back home!”

What about you Alexander? Kaylie thought, another tear coming to her eye. Can I save you?

Last edited:

Chapter

hello, im back sorta
Very good. I really like the way the story is headed, but, not your best chapter.

Shadow Lucario said:
Empoleon appeared right beside Umbreon just as the latter had done before.
In an instant, Umbreon’s tail began to glow as he slammed it into Empoleon’s side when the latter pulled his wings up for another swing.

I think you said it a third time... but if not, I'm just pointing out your usade of, "latter."

“Outta the way * old man,” one of the men in white shouted.

Because you address the old man as the old man, there should be a comma where I placed the asterisk.

I'll probably end up posting again some time... I always reread stuff so. Yeah. Great work so far!

~Chapter

Shadow Lucario

Lone Vanguard
Here we are at chapter 25. I mark this as just about the halfway point. I'm not going to say that for sure, but we'll see where the story takes us. Anyway, a nice relaxed chapter this time. Don't forget to drop a review once you've finished reading. Character bios will be updated soon! I've been neglecting those.

Chapter 25: Translucence

For the first time in months, silence reigned over Jayden, Hope, Kaylie, and Lorin as they walked. Solemn expressions were worn by all four. Smoke could be seen behind them, the destroyed West City lying in shambles. Gripping his bag tightly, Jayden stared at the ground, a feeling of uselessness coming over him.

I couldn’t do anything, Jayden thought. Team Lustrous is on a whole other level. I have to make it there. Then I’ll find out the truth.

Stopping in the middle of the path, Jayden looked up at the sky, a few bird Pokémon flying over them. Many clouds began to gather, the sky now a slight grey color. Kaylie stopped at his side while Hope and Lorin continued walking, not even looking at Jayden.

“Is something up Jay?” Kaylie asked, slightly worried.

“Nothing,” he replied. “I just want to be able to make a difference. I should have been able to protect you.”

Kaylie chuckled, patting Jayden on the arm. “I’m a big girl. I can protect myself. Besides, I can’t leave you by yourself. What would I do if you got hurt?”

Jayden smiled, placing his hand on Kaylie’s arm. Hope slightly turned her head, a smile on her face as well. Lorin scoffed, a slight smirk drawing itself across his mouth. Not too far down the road lay a small town, the buildings visible above the trees. A large tower stood out from the rest, the large window panes reflecting the small amount of sunlight that was peeking through the clouds. For some reason, Jayden couldn’t stop staring at it.

“What’s the name of this town?” asked Kaylie. “I don’t think I’ve ever heard of a town near West City.”

“I have no idea,” Hope replied.

“Well we’ll find out soon enough,” said Lorin, pointing to a small group of people that had been walking in the opposite direction.

As the group of strangers began to pass, Jayden stopped them, a smile on his face. “Hello there. Can you guys tell us what town this is up here?”

“That’s Cimmerian Town,” one of them answered. “I wouldn’t recommend staying though.”

“Why not?” Hope asked.

“Rumor has it this is the town that the Black Organization originated in,” another explained. “Along with that, strange things happen to any visiting trainers like losing your money and possessions.”

“It sucks because there is a Pokémon Gym here so it’s almost necessary to stop by if you want to compete in the Silver Conference,” the other added.

Kaylie’s eyes lit up. Once she heard the word ‘Gym’, she could only focus on anything pertaining to that subject.

“What type of Gym is it?” she asked, her eyes still sparkling.

“No idea,” the strangers said in unison.

“Well, thanks anyway,” Lorin told them before they parted ways.

Kaylie stared over at the town, slightly giggling. Warm feelings traveled up her spine the more she thought about the Gym. Not able to hold it in any longer, Kaylie tightened the straps on her backpack before pointing at the horizon.

“We’re going to that Gym,” she told her friends. “If I can win there, then I’ll have four badges.”

“I think we have more things to worry about,” said Jayden. “This might be the base of operations for the Black Organization.”

Waving off any warning presented, Kaylie began to run towards the town, her three friends barely behind her. Running straight through the town’s gate, the group of four noticed that there weren’t many people out on the street. One person walked by, giving the outsiders a cautious look. Scurrying into a nearby house, the resident slammed the door loudly, peeking through their curtains.

“People here don’t seem too friendly,” Lorin pointed out.

“I say we skip this Gym,” Jayden suggested. “I’m sure we’ll find another one somewhere along the way.”

“I have a feeling about this one though!” Kaylie shouted as she ran towards the towering structure in the distance.

With a sigh, Jayden ran after her. Both Lorin and Hope shrugged, heading towards the Pokémon Center instead of following their friends. Finally catching up to Kaylie, Jayden placed a hand on her shoulder, his breathing heavy.

“Why did you run off like that?” Jayden asked between pants.

“I’m excited to see what type of Gym this is. That and I knew you would follow me.” Kaylie stuck her tongue out at him, slightly giggling. “We haven’t gotten to talk by ourselves in a while and I wanted to know something.”

Raising an eyebrow, Jayden asked, “What do you want to know?”

“How you feel…y’know, about…me.”

Opening his mouth, Jayden began to think about what he was going to say. Still not sure of how the female mind worked; he knew one wrong word could send her in a downward spiral towards depression. He noticed that she began to bite her lip, nervously waiting for his response. A sudden idea popped into Jayden’s head.

“If you can beat me in a battle, I’ll tell you how I feel,” answered Jayden, a smile on his face.

“You want to battle me?” Kaylie asked, slightly surprised.

“Sure. It will be a little training exercise before the Gym. There seems to be a park not too far from here so we can go there.”

Nodding her head, Kaylie continued walking straight down the road. To her left, she could hear a water running. A large fountain came into view, spewing water into the air and back into itself. Small children ran up and down the grass fields, laughing and playing with either other children or Pokémon. Kaylie could feel her heart began to beat faster as she approached the fountain.

Calm down Kaylie, she thought. All I have to do is beat him in a small battle. Then he’ll tell me how he feels. What if it’s bad? What if he doesn’t feel the same way?

“We’ll make it one on one,” suggested Jayden as he placed his bag by the fountain. Taking a spot in the field, he began to stretch. “Twenty feet should make a good field.”

Taking a deep breath, Kaylie placed her bag by Jayden’s. Walking to a spot opposite him, she pulled out a Poké Ball, her expression becoming serious. “I won’t hold back then!”

Performing a short set of squats, Jayden pulled out his own Poké Ball. “I never expected you to.”

The air around them changed, a few people in the park taking notice of it. Some of the children ran over, curious as to what was happening. Both of the trainers launched their Poké Balls, white light spilling from both of them. On Kaylie’s side stood her Croconaw, his mouth wide open. Busting forward on Jayden’s side was Cyndaquil, her flame igniting instantly.

“Looks like you’ll have a type advantage this time,” Jayden said with a smile.

“That won’t have anything to do with me winning. Croconaw, start off with Water Gun!”

A smirk drew itself across Croconaw’s face as the Water type spewed a jet of water across the field at Cyndaquil. The latter quickly jumped to the side, easily dodging the attack. As a counter, Cyndaquil launched a barrage of fireballs at him. Croconaw simply held up his arm, blocking each of them.

“Croconaw, Bite!” shouted Kaylie.

Backing up, Cyndaquil eyed Croconaw as the evolved Pokémon began to dash at her. Opening his mouth wide, Croconaw took a bite at Cyndaquil, narrowly missing as the Fire type jumped into the air.

“Flame Wheel now!” Jayden yelled.

Croconaw looked up just in time to see Cyndaquil start to roll in the air. Flames appeared all around her body. The fire licked Croconaw’s face before he jumped away, falling to the ground. Shaking his head, singe marks appeared on Croconaw’s cheek, a smirk still on his face.

“Quick Attack!” Jayden ordered.

Before the Water type could react, Cyndaquil threw her body into his, knocking him back even further. The small group of children that had gathered to watch began to cheer on both of the Pokémon. Even their parents took notice of the battle, but only cheered in their head. Jumping back up, Croconaw waved to the crowd, giving a little bow.

“Now’s not the time, Croconaw!” Kaylie told him, slapping her hand onto her head. “Hit Cyndaquil with Slash!”

Blowing a kiss at the small audience, Croconaw dashed back into the battle. His claws began to glow as he swung at Cyndaquil, slashing her across the face. The Fire type was sent flying to the side, letting out a small scream of pain. Shaking the pain off, Cyndaquil sprinted at Croconaw, running in a zig zag fashion.

“Water Gun!” shouted Kaylie.

“Quick Attack!” Jayden yelled.

Croconaw waited until Cyndaquil was a few inches from him before opening his mouth, a jet of water shooting out. Using all her strength Cyndaquil jumped forward, head butting Croconaw in the gut, a few water droplets hitting her hind legs. The wind was instantly knocked out of Croconaw, sending him stumbling backwards.

“Croconaw, you can do it!” a child yelled from the side.

A smile appeared on Jayden’s face. A few more of the children began to cheer on Croconaw. Regaining his balance, Croconaw heard the cheers of the children smiled at them as a way of telling them he won’t let them down.

“All right, Croconaw, we can’t let them down!” Kaylie shouted. “Time to use Crunch!”

Just as he did before, Croconaw ran towards Cyndaquil with his mouth wide open. Carefully watching her opponent, Cyndaquil tried to read Croconaw’s movements.

“Jump out of the way Cyndaquil!” yelled Jayden.

Cyndaquil jumped to the side, but Croconaw anticipated this. Quickly taking a step to the side, Croconaw now stood in Cyndaquil’s way. The Water type clamped his mouth down hard around Cyndaquil. The small Pokémon let out a small scream, struggling to get free.

“Now it’s time for Water Gun!” Kaylie shouted, pumping her fist.

Tossing Cyndaquil into the air, Croconaw fired a stream of water from his mouth, hitting Cyndaquil in her side. The Fire type fell to the ground, hardly moving. The kids cheered again, knowing the battle to be over soon.

“Damn…” Jayden cursed under his breath. “Looks like you wi-”

Before Jayden could finish, Cyndaquil stood again, her legs shaking uncontrollably. Shocked, Croconaw motioned for Cyndaquil to approach him, a cocky grin across his face. Cyndaquil took one step before falling back to the ground. Jayden walked to his Pokémon’s side, picking her up and cradling her in his arms.

“I know you’re tough,” Jayden told her with a smile. “You don’t need to hurt yourself to prove that.”

“You were awesome!”

“I want a Croconaw too! Mom, can I have one?!”

“Your Pokémon is really strong miss!”

Looking back towards Kaylie, Jayden saw that she had been surrounded by the group of kids that had been watching their battle. He smiled as he saw her talk to them. A certain feeling began radiating off her. A feeling of happiness. Recalling Cyndaquil, Jayden fell back onto the grass by the fountain, looking up at the sky. Not too long after, Kaylie’s face popped into his field of vision, obscuring the sky from his view.

“Remember our deal,” she said as she sat by him.

“I didn’t,” Jayden told her, placing his head in her lap. “How do I feel about you? I don’t even think I can express that in words.”

“Please try.” Swallowing her saliva, Kaylie began to play with Jayden’s hair, the nervous feeling coming back, now resting in her stomach.

“When we were kids, I thought you were annoying,” he began. “I thought you were just another girl looking for attention. Once we got older, those thoughts began to disappear and you became my friend. Then these weird feelings came out of nowhere and…I started to like you more than a friend.”

Kaylie’s breathing quickened, becoming light and shallow. Closing her eyes and taking a deep breath, it returned to normal, a tear welling up in her eye.

“When we left on our journeys, I never thought that I would be travelling with you,” Jayden continued. “Do you remember that night in Cherrygrove when you force me to go dancing with you? It was then that I knew for sure that I liked you more than a friend. As time went by, the feeling got stronger and stronger. Even after all we’ve been through, I know one thing.”

“What is that?” Kaylie asked, her voice cracking slightly as she choked back some tears.

“You’re my best friend.”

A single tear rolled down her cheek, stopping at her chin. She knew that no matter how hard she tried, she would end up crying.

Jayden grabbed a small blade of grass, pulling it out of the ground and twisting it between his fingers. “Not only that, but I’m in love with you.”

Tears began streaming down Kaylie’s face, breaking off and hitting Jayden’s. Sitting up, Jayden placed his arm around Kaylie’s neck, pulling her into his chest. Wrapping her arms around his torso, Kaylie wept into his shirt, squeezing him tight.

“I don’t want to lose you, Kaylie.”

Lifting her face from his chest, Kaylie pulled Jayden’s head down towards hers, pressing her lips against his, kissing him deeply.

“I feel the same,” she whispered, resting her head on his chest. “I love you too.”

Chapter

hello, im back sorta
Good chapter. Nice plot progression and- Get a room love birds! LOL

Interesting detail for the town. Shady: Stay too long and you'll be robbed. But, come here because you need this for the Silver Conference.

GTG cause I have a test tomorrow and need ma' sleep! XD

DarkSpace2012

And, as if by magic~
I'm gonna need the hookup on those PM's again bruh!

Shadow Lucario

Lone Vanguard
Finally, after so long of a wait, the 26th chapter of Hero's Bond is here. Small plot progression as we go back to the original plot. You know the deal. RnR when possible.

Chapter 26: Raging Storm

“Are they walking into the Gym?”

“Sure looks like it. And they’re holding hands!”

“They’ll get destroyed! Shade is too strong!”

Approaching the tower they saw in the distance, Kaylie and Jayden had locked their hands together, Kaylie blushing brilliantly. Unable to keep the smile off her face, Kaylie kept glancing at Jayden, giggling as she did so. Jayden simple shook his head, a grin on his face as well. Once they reached the glass doors at the front of the tower, they slid open, a small group of people exited, all dressed in black. Eyeing them nervously, Jayden looked them over, confirming it to be a uniform different from the Black Organization.

“We should go in,” Kaylie said, pulling Jayden with her.

The inside of the tower was just as impressive as the outside. Large flat screen televisions had been mounted on just about every wall, different news channels on each. A lady at a desk about a hundred feet from the entrance waved at the two, a large smile on her face.

“I wonder why those guys said the people here were unfriendly,” Jayden whispered to Kaylie. “All of them have been nice! Well, minus the few that we saw coming in.”

“Are you guys here for a Gym battle?” the woman at the desk asked, shouting to them.

“Yes,” replied Kaylie, running to the desk, still dragging Jayden behind her. “Both of us are.”

A screen appeared on the glass near her keyboard as she began to type. “Names?”

“Kaylie Janson and Jayden Sector,” said Kaylie, still giggling.

The woman motioned to the small waiting area as she finished typing in their names. The couple took a seat on a large couch, air hissing as it escaped from the spaces in between the cushions. Taking a look at one of the televisions, Jayden noticed a picture of New Bark Town on the screen, focusing his attention to the news anchor.

“…as well as the Pokémon lab,” the man said as he straightened the papers in front of him. Grabbing his tie, he slightly loosened it, taking a breath in. “The wreckage in some of the houses seems to have been there for quite some time. Reports say that a group of wandering bandits broke into the homes in search of food and valuables. Not only…”

Jayden’s mind began to travel. Thinking back to their time in Goldenrod City, he remembered that he had attempted to call his dad, but got no answer. …been there for quite some time reverberated in his head repeatedly, causing worry to sprout all over.

“What’s wrong Jay?” Kaylie asked worried, noticing the look of discomfort on his face.

“Nothing,” Jayden lied, his hand clasping his face. “Just thinking.”

Kaylie nodded, deciding not to question his answer. Jayden shook off the thoughts that started to pop in his head. My dad is fine, he thought. He would have gotten out of there as soon as he smelled danger. A small beep came from the desk they had checked in at. The woman smiled as she looked in their direction.

“Shade is ready for you,” she told them.

“Which one of us is first?” Kaylie asked, both of them standing.

“He’ll take both of you. It’ll be a double battle.” The smile seemed to be plastered on the woman’s face as if happiness was her only emotion.

Jayden nodded at Kaylie, Kaylie doing the same. They made their way across the room towards the elevator doors. Silently sliding open, the pair stepped on the vertical carriage to meet a large man with shoulder length hair. His eyes were hidden behind sunglasses that matched his black suit. He wore a blank expression, neither frowning nor smiling.

“Back in Violet City, I had a very awkward elevator ride with the attendant,” Jayden whispered to Kaylie.

“So you met my brother!” the man exclaimed, his expression changing suddenly.

“Oh, uh, I guess so,” said Jayden, nervously chuckling.

The man placed a hand on Jayden’s shoulder, taking his sunglasses off with the other. “I promise to not make our ride awkward.”

Silence reigned over the three as the man pressed the button with the number nineteen next to it. Sticking his tongue in his cheek, Jayden looked around the small elevator, opting to stare at the red carpet on the floor. Kaylie averted her gaze to the bronze colored railing, slightly tapping it with her finger. The large man in the back swayed back and forth, staring at the ceiling.

“So…,” the man started. “Is this your fifth gym battle?”

“Fourth for me,” Kaylie answered, still staring at the railing.

“This is my third.” Jayden began to tap his foot against the other, his gaze traveling from the floor to the doors and back to the floor. “Do you enjoy your job?”

“Oh yeah, yeah.” The large man began to twiddle his thumbs, watching as the floor number changed from eight to nine.

After a few minutes of an awkward silence, the elevator finally reached the nineteenth floor. The doors slid open to reveal a large, flat battlefield. Lighting had been poor as there were large areas of darkness scattered throughout. The opposite side of the battlefield was impossible to make out. Once they stepped off, Jayden had noticed that there were no bleachers by the battlefield. In place of the spectating stands were four large rings, one directly after the other.

“Good luck,” the man said as the elevator doors closed.

Footsteps sounded from the other side of the arena. A light flickered on, revealing a tall, slender man approaching the two. A smirk was placed on his face, eyeing the trainers carefully. His long black coat flowed behind him as he walked. Three slightly damaged Poké Balls hung from his waist. With one hand, he flipped his long red hair, brushing it from his face.

“You must be the challengers that Kelly just told me about,” said the man. He extended his hand to Jayden, firmly shaking it. Turning towards Kaylie, he gave her a shallow bow, his eyes never leaving her face. “I am Shade, the Gym Leader of Cimmerian Town.”

“I’m Jayden,” he introduced himself. “This here is Kaylie. We would like to have a battle with you.”

“Of course you want to battle me. Why else would you be here? For tea?” Shade chuckled as he quickly walked back to the other side of the battlefield. “No, no, no. Better idea; you battle each other for the badge. Obviously the winner gets it.”

Kaylie gave him a confused look. “The receptionist told us it would be a double battle.”

“I’m the Gym Leader,” Shade retorted. “I can change my mind whenever I want to.”

Jayden scowled at the man, and made his way to Shade’s side. Shade smiled at Jayden and patted him on the back. Retreating to the side, Shade began to twist his hair in between his fingers as Jayden and Kaylie each drew their Poké Balls. Just as they were about to toss them, Shade jumped in the middle of the field.

“Wait!” he shouted. “I have another idea.”

Jayden let out an exasperated sigh. “Now what?”

“How about a handicap match? You two versus me.” Kaylie and Jayden exchanged glances before agreeing to the match. A sly smile drew itself across Shade’s face. “But there will be a condition.” As he said this, the rings on the sides of the field spread apart, leaving a few feet between each ring. “Your Pokémon must jump or fly through the rings before attacking. If you fail to do so and attack anyway, you’ll be disqualified, leaving only your partner to win the match.”

“Seems fair enough,” said Kaylie. “We accept.”

“Let’s start now!” Shade launched one of his damaged Poké Balls onto the field, a beam of light exploding from it. The light quickly formed into a Pokémon that closely resembled a dog. Its tail ended in an arrowhead shape. The dark color of its fur would allow it to easily hide in the darkness. The beast growled at Kaylie and Jayden, showing off its sharp fangs.

“A Houndoom,” Kaylie whispered.

“With the conditions of the match, we’ll have to use a fast Pokémon,” Jayden told her. “Since Houndoom is also Fire type, Beedrill and Ledian are out.”

“I’m going with Aipom!” Kaylie tossed her Poké Ball into the air, releasing her Aipom.

“Pidgeotto, stand by!”

Bursting from the light, Pidgeotto let out a loud squawk as Aipom chattered, balancing on her tail. Houndoom eyed them carefully, keeping both opponents in his sight.

“Flamethrower,” Shade started off.

Pidgeotto flew around the outside of the arena as flames shot out from Houndoom’s mouth. Aipom dashed away on all fours, narrowly avoiding the fire. Going through all four rings on one side, Pidgeotto’s wings began to glow. Diving down towards Houndoom, Pidgeotto swung one wing and missed, the tip of his wing grazing the Dark type.

“Loop around and try again,” Jayden commanded.

“Aipom, leap through those rings and go for an Iron Tail!” Kaylie shouted.

Slowly backing up, Houndoom watched Pidgeotto fly straight through the rings opposite him while Aipom jumped through the rings nearest him. The monkey’s tail began to glow, the hand balled into a fist. Aipom brought her tail down, using a flip to push a little more power into the hit. Houndoom quickly jumped to the side, barely dodging Aipom’s attack. The Normal type’s tail smashed into the floor, slightly cracking it. While the Dark type was still focused on Aipom, Pidgeotto came up from behind, slamming his wing into Houndoom’s side. The canine fell to the ground, sliding back a few feet. Instantly jumping back up, Houndoom growled at Pidgeotto, flames gathering in his mouth.

“Attack Aipom with Flamethrower and don’t stop!” yelled Shade.

The flames rocketed out of Houndoom’s mouth, aimed directly at Aipom. Kaylie yelled for her Pokémon to dodge, but the fire caught Aipom too fast. Just as his trainer commanded, Houndoom continuously let out flames upon flames onto Aipom.

“Pidgeotto, circle back and hit Houndoom with Quick Attack!” Jayden shouted, the screams of Aipom filling his ears.

Pidgeotto flew back the way he came, successfully going through all the rings. Once they were behind him, Pidgeotto disappeared, instantly colliding into Houndoom’s side. The dog fell over once more, a yelp of pain emitting from him. Pidgeotto smirked at his opponent, puffing up his chest as he landed.

“I wouldn’t get such a big head if I were you,” Shade warned Pidgeotto. “Disappear…”

Houndoom slowly stood, and, just as Shade said, he disappeared. Shocked, Pidgeotto looked all around him, trying to figure out where Houndoom went. Shade began to cackle, pointing at Pidgeotto.

“You’ll never be able to find him! Thunder Fang!”

Quickly appearing at Pidgeotto’s side, electricity began to gather around Houndoom’s fangs. Before the Flying type could react, Houndoom clamped onto his wing. Pidgeotto let out a loud squawk before falling to the floor. Jumping through the rings again, Aipom collided into Houndoom’s side just as Pidgeotto had done before.

“Where did she come from?!” Shade asked, slightly startled.

“Aipom’s Quick Attack is even faster than Pidgeotto’s. You better watch out,” Jayden warned Shade. A smirk drew itself across Jayden’s mouth, an idea coming to him. “Pidegeotto, can you battle?”

Pidgeotto struggled to get to his feet, the pain from the electricity fresh in his memory. With a scoff, Pidgeotto screeched as he stretched out both of his wings, showing off his wingspan. When he attempted to fly again, a sharp pain shot through his wing, causing him to crash to the ground. A look of horror appeared on Pidgeotto’s face. Houndoom slowly approached the fallen Flying type, chuckling it seemed.

“Aipom, Focus Punch now!” ordered Kaylie.

The hand on Aipom’s tail began to glow. Dashing forward, Aipom slammed the fist into Houndoom’s face, sending the Dark type reeling to the side. Shade’s mouth dropped, unable to comprehend what just happened.

“Houndoom, can you get up?” Shade asked his Pokémon, worry in his voice. The canine stood slowly, shaking off the pain. He gave his trainer an affirmative nod. “Now let’s show them Crunch; both of them! Disappear!”

As if he were smoke, Houndoom disappeared into thin air. Aipom stood in front of his friend, waiting for the opportunity to strike back. Kaylie frantically looked around the field, searching for some sign of Houndoom.

“How in the world is he doing that?” Jayden asked, frustrated.

“I think I understand how,” Kaylie told him. “There is one move that Houndoom can learn that lets him appear invisible.”

“Appear invisible?”

“Remember that Houndoom is a Dark type Pokémon,” Kaylie started. “With his black fur it would be difficult to see him in the dark.”

Looking over the field, something caught Jayden’s eye that was near where Aipom and Pidgeotto were at. It was a large patch of darkness. A metaphorical light bulb illuminated in Jayden’s head, allowing him to see what was going on.

“He’s using that darkness as cover!” Jayden yelled.

Kaylie shook her head. “Not just the darkness. He’s combining the move Faint Attack with the field conditions. Nothing you wouldn’t expect from a Dark type trainer.”

“What can I say? I had to earn the title Gym Leader somehow,” Shade said with a laugh.

Houndoom leapt from the darkness, his fangs bared. Without thinking, Jayden blurted out the first thing that came to mind.

“Pidgeotto, Air Slash!”

With a swing of his good wing, Pidgeotto launched several spinning blades of wind at Houndoom. Before Houndoom could react, each one of the blades smashed into him, knocking him out of the air. A loud buzz went off, blaring through the entire arena.

“Looks like you’re disqualified,” Shade told Jayden with a smirk.

“Sorry, Kaylie,” he apologized as he recalled Pidgeotto. “I just reacted.”

“Don’t worry Jay. Leave everything to me.”

Slowly waving her tail back and forth, Aipom carefully watched Houndoom as the Dark type stood once more. His legs began to tremble slightly, a pained expression on his face. Shade took notice of this, his smirk vanishing instantly.

“Houndoom,” Shade called. “I think this battle is over. You’ve done well enough.”

Houndoom shook his head, taking a step forward. When his paw touched the ground, Houndoom let out a small whimper of pain, but kept the same focused expression on his face. Aipom noticed the pain he was in as well and looked back to Kaylie for a command.

“I think Houndoom is too proud to quit now,” Kaylie observed.

“Proud or not, I can’t have Houndoom continue battling,” said Shade. “Return Houndoom. Now.” Letting a breath out of his nose, Houndoom limped back to his trainer, sitting right by his side. “That last Air Slash did a real number on him. Even if it was an attack that was against the rules, I like your style. You guys win. I concede.”

“Alright!” Jayden exclaimed. “We’ve got our fourth badge!”

“Only four more to go!” cheered Kaylie as she recalled Aipom.

Shade cleared his throat, approaching the two trainers. “I said you guys won the battle. I never said anything about winning the badge.”

The couple’s cheering instantly stopped. They both looked at him incredulously, not believing what he just said.

“But we won,” started Jayden.

“Since we beat the gym leader we get the badge,” finished Kaylie.

“Yeah you won, but you attacked Houndoom before going through the rings,” Shade told them, shaking his head. “Don’t you remember the rules? Since you can’t follow the rules, I can’t give you a badge.”

“But you liked my style!” Jayden put his hands in his pocket and kicked the ground, slightly pouting and whining at the same time.

Shade patted Jayden on the shoulder, lightly laughing. “Don’t be so down, mate. Now you’ll be stronger for your next battle.”

Kaylie rolled her eyes. “Hopefully that next battle will include a badge.”

Sidewinder

Ours is the Fury
Sorry for the long wait buddy. Had some family stuff, but now I'm back.

Chapter 24

“The sun is nearly down so the slowly rising moon should heal you enough to continue and end this battle.”

That seemed a bit too long, I feel like you could shorten it up a bit and achieve the same effect.

Letting out an ear-splitting roar, Empoleon jumped to his feet. His fins began to glow as he split the beam in half.

That made my pulse jump up a few knotches

“Houndoom, jump forward!” Claire yelled.

Hmm, I love the pace and action of the battle so far, and it's working for me, however Claire telling Houndoom to jump felt a little pointless. Obviously if an attack is coming he isn't going to just stand there and take it. I know you know that and stuff, but it interrupted the flow for me a little bit. You dig?

What about you Alexander? Kaylie thought, another tear coming to her eye. Can I save you?

This was kind of a heart wrenching and very appropriate ending to the chapter. It actually summed up everything the characters were feeling quite well

ONWARDS!

Chapter 25

Jayden smiled, placing his hand on Kaylie’s arm. Hope slightly turned her head, a smile on her face as well. Lorin scoffed, a slight smirk drawing itself across his mouth

Hope and Lorin's reactions cracked me up haha

“I think we have more things to worry about,” said Jayden.

Dammit Kaylie listen to Jayden! The boy speaks sense!

To her left, she could hear a water running

Lose the 'a'

Calm down Kaylie, she thought. All I have to do is beat him in a small battle. Then he’ll tell me how he feels. What if it’s bad? What if he doesn’t feel the same way

That was an important addition that I liked very much. Mainly because it shows how young they actually are, which adds to the realisim of thoughts like that. Understanding/perception and confidence come with age. I wouldn't have liked this chapter so much if they were more confident than they are now. Nicely done!

Walking to a spot opposite him, she pulled out a Poké Ball, her expression becoming serious. “I won’t hold back then!”

Look, bearing my previous point in mind, her reaction that I quoted, and even the battle in general just seem a bit too out of place. I mean it seems like something that would happen organically in the anime. If that's what you're going for, then cool, but to me it just seems kind of pointless. Obviously they have bigger things to worry about. I can see how this would be a good way to blow off steam, but it just doesn't feel right. Does that make sense?

“I feel the same,” she whispered, resting her head on his chest. “I love you too.”

Damn ****ing perfect way to end the chapter. Loved it

Chapter 26

“Kaylie Janson and Jayden Sector,” said Kaylie, still giggling.

I ****ing love Jayden's last name haha

“So you met my brother!” the man exclaimed, his expression changing suddenly.

“Oh, uh, I guess so,” said Jayden, nervously chuckling.

The man placed a hand on Jayden’s shoulder, taking his sunglasses off with the other. “I promise to not make our ride awkward.”

LMAO that was funny. Reall well placed and realistically natural

. The light quickly formed into a Pokémon that closely resembled a dog. Its tail ended in an arrowhead shape. The dark color of its fur would allow it to easily hide in the darkness. The beast growled at Kaylie and Jayden, showing off its sharp fangs.

That was a decent description, and I could visualize the Pokemon fairly well. However, make sure when describing a new Pokemon to use every aspect of everything to describe it. Like how the floor sounded as it's claws ground against it, or how its curved hors changed colors subtly as the light hit it. Those are two basic ways to use description without making it feel like you're describing something. Make sense?

A metaphorical light bulb illuminated in Jayden’s head, allowing him to see what was going on.

That was actually an extremely clever way of showing his realization. I liked it

fixthe_fernback

I am a fic-man
I believe I'm caught up now. I didn't spot any huge mistakes, at least nothing that jumped out to me. As always, you continue to put out great content worth reading. I particularly like where the story seems to be going. Shade was a cool character, but part of me wishes the indecisiveness he displayed in choosing the match type had played a part in the match.

Anyways, sorry it took me so long to get to this! I'm looking forward to the next chapter!

Shadow Lucario

Lone Vanguard
Talk about a break! Well here we finally have the 27th chapter of Hero's Bond. It's a Lorin chapter. I've always wanted to expand on his character, but never got the chance to. So here we go. Enjoy.

Chapter 27: A Guiding Light

“…and that makes three. Is there anyone else who wants to challenge me?”

Behind the local Pokémon Center, Lorin had issued an open challenge to the trainers, trying to keep himself busy as he and Hope waited for Jayden and Kaylie to arrive. Three trainers had accepted his challenge and all three had lost to his Charmeleon. With a large grin, Charmeleon waved his flaming tail back and forth as if to say he was ready for any opponent.

“I think you scared any would be trainers off,” Hope told him, leaping off a small bench against the back wall of the Center. “How about we battle?”

Lorin quickly recalled Charmeleon, chuckling nervously. “Charmeleon against that beast, Empoleon? How about no?”

“What else are we going to do then?”

Lorin put one hand to his chin and began to think. Looking around at the few trainers that hung around and his surroundings, an idea began to form in his head. With a quick snap of his fingers, Lorin pulled Hope closer and began to whisper in her ear.

“WHAT?!” she exclaimed loudly, startling everyone nearby. “I would never…”

“Hear me out,” Lorin began to explain. “Jayden and Kaylie are obviously going to become an item sooner or later. Why don’t we try our hand at it? That way it will be less awkward on the road!”

Hope carefully eyed Lorin. Brushing his bangs out of his eye, Lorin attempted to give her the best puppy dog eyes he could. With a disgusted sigh, Hope nodded her head.

“But,” Hope said, interrupting Lorin’s victory dance. “We go on a date of my choice.”

--------------------------------------------------

“C’mon Lorin…can’t mess this up…”

A few minutes later, Lorin had retreated to the Pokémon Center, pacing in the lobby, whispering to himself. He had changed into the best clothes he had on him; a grey button down shirt with black slacks. Biting his nails nervously, Lorin looked towards the elevator in the hopes that he would see, well, Hope.

“Show her that you can be boyfriend material…not just a friend…”

When the elevator emitted a small ding, Lorin jumped. The doors slid apart to reveal a long blue dress. Sparkles adorned nearly the entire ensemble. With her hair in a bun, Hope looked just as a socialite would, even on a good day.

“It’s just Hope,” Lorin told himself as she approached him. “Nothing has changed. It’s only Hope.”

“Why hello there,” Hope said with a smirk. “I hope you’re ready for a great time.”

“I-I-I a-am,” he stammered. Clearing his throat, Lorin motioned for the door. “If we’re just going for a walk, what’s up with the fancy clothes?”

Hope laughed as they exited the center. “You’re one to talk. So what made you want to date me?”

“Ever since I saw you I thought you were beautiful. Then when I got to know you, I realized that you actually had the most amazing personality of any person I had the pleasure of knowing.”

Raising her eyebrows, Hope was at a loss for words. They walked in silence for a little bit as the path lead them into a small forest located on the opposite side of town. They both stole glances at each other, smiling and giggling as they did so. The sun quickly vanished as the amount of trees increased. Quickly stopping, Hope turned on her heel to face Lorin, surprising the latter.

“Why did we stop all of a sudden?” he asked.

“For some reason, I feel the most comfortable around you,” said Hope. “Even though I’ve known Kaylie and Jayden a lot longer, I feel right when you’re there.”

Lorin chuckled as he stepped closer to her. Hope could feel the heat coming from his body, hear his heartbeat. “It’s because I know how you feel.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rain splattered against the window as lightning lit up the dark room. Inside was a single bed, large enough for a few children. Toys had been scattered across the floor along with various plush Pokémon. The wooden panels that made up the floor began to creak. The small boy in the bed slight sat up and tried to look around, but the darkness combined with his adjusting eyes made it difficult for him to make anything out. A loud thunderclap sounded soon after, scaring the boy under his blankets. A large shadow crept up on the boy, reaching for the blanket. Yanking the blanket back, the shadow let out a low growl while the boy let out a shrill scream.

“I didn’t think you would scream Lorin!”

“Not funny, Lisa!” the boy named Lorin shouted, his breathing quick and shallow.

The shadow had belonged to his older sister, Lisa. She was of average height for her age. Just like Lorin, she had bright red hair that came down to the middle of her back. Throwing the blankets back over her little brother, Lisa hugged him tightly, much to Lorin’s dismay.

“Why don’t you go bother Marina?” Lorin asked, pushing her off, emerging from the blankets once more.

“Because she’s only seven and you’re ten,” Lisa explained. “Besides, I don’t get in as much trouble when I scare you because I know you won’t tell Mom.”

“What if I do?” Lorin threatened. “There’s nothing stopping me.”

“Besides me telling all your friends and having you branded as a tattle tale?”

Raising a hand, Lorin soon dropped it. He knew that his friends wouldn’t take too kindly to him being a tattle tale. His older sister kissed him on the forehead before prancing out of the room, smiling back at him as she closed the door. Tossing the blanket back over him, Lorin slowly drifted back to sleep. In his dream he could hear many screams and sirens. The sound that stuck out to him the most was that of a window shattering. It sounded close and if he didn’t know any better, he could swear that he felt the glass sticking into him.

“…rin! Lo…n! LORIN!”

Eyes flying open, the surroundings slowly came into view. Standing above him was Marina, his younger sister. Her brown hair was messy, as if she had just woken up. Her eyes were wide with fear, tears welling up in them. Sitting up, Lorin took a good look around, not sure of how he wound up in the middle of a forest. The moon was visible through the treetops, bright and full. Pulling his sister close, Lorin reassured her that everything would be okay.

“How did we end up out here?” he asked.

Marina busted into tears, sobbing uncontrollably. In between her sobs, she tried to offer some sort of explanation, but it all came out jumbled. Placing a hand on her shoulder, Lorin tried to calm her down before telling her to try again.

“These guys in white broke into our house,” Marina started. “They said they wanted Mommy’s necklace. But Lisa told them they couldn’t have it. Then…then…”

Once again, Marina started sobbing, unable to continue her story. Lorin just pulled her close, softly whispering that they would be okay.

“Don’t you worry, Marina. I’ll make those guys pay.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“I asked a policeman what happened and he told me that a robber broke into our house that night. He told me it was a common murder/robbery case.”

Hope stood in silence, a sad feeling coming over her. Listening to Lorin’s story made her remember her own brother and her promise to him.

“They claimed to have caught the man a few weeks later, but my sister claimed the men who did this wore white,” Lorin continued. “I know it was Team Lustrous.”

“Lorin, I’m so sorry…” Hope whispered.

He simply smiled, placing a hand on her shoulder. Lightly touch his hand with hers, Hope felt a slight quiver. Looking back into Lorin’s eyes, she saw a small tear begin to roll down his cheek. The tear fell to the forest floor, disappearing as quickly as it came.

“You don’t need to be strong any longer. We’re here for you; me, Kaylie, and Jayden.” Hope pulled Lorin into an embrace, holding him tightly. “You don’t have to bear this alone anymore.”

Hesitatingly, Lorin wrapped his arms around Hope, quietly sobbing. Without saying a word, Hope softly kissed his forehead. Stepping away, Lorin wiped his face and smiled.

“I’ve never told anyone that story before.”

Hope smiled as well, offering her hand. “Just like you said, it’s because I know how you feel.”

fixthe_fernback

I am a fic-man
Wow, we got some really nice insight into Lorin's character this chapter! It was short, but well worth a read to get to know Lorin a little better. No mistakes were spotted and I'm already looking forward to the next chapter! Good work, SL!

Sidewinder

Ours is the Fury
Brushing his bangs out of his eye, Lorin attempted to give her the best puppy dog eyes he could.

I liked the little physical description drop you put there. I was reading some of JX's how to's on writing and I picked up on dropping some descriptive reminders like that randomly. Not only does it put you more into the story but I had actually forgotten what my picture of Lorin looked like. That reminded me. Nice

Lorin looked towards the elevator in the hopes that he would see, well, Hope.

Hah, funny little wordplay there. I liked it

With her hair in a bun, Hope looked just as a socialite would, even on a good day.

That bit was slightly confusing to me, as a socialite would always look good, that's pretty much there mantra. So could you clarify?

“Don’t you worry, Marina. I’ll make those guys pay.”

MOTIVATION SUCH AN AGGREVATION!! If you like Sum41 you'll get that reference lol. If his sister died and that's how you're setting up his traveling, kudos! as that's exactly what I did. Kidnapping, murder, or really any other violent crime against family is an extremely potent motivator

Hmm, my only real gripe about the chapter was the length. I liked the semi-date between Lorin and Hope, and his nervousness that went along with it (very convincing), but it really felt like it ended way before it should have. Not sure what you could have done to extend it but it just felt like something was a little off. Anyway, I enjoyed myself and I look forward to the next installment