• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

He's Born! The Alolan League Winner! (1082)

Red and Blue

Gladion's fatal error was probably keeping in Silvally after defeating Melmetal. If he recalled it and let it rest and regain strength it could have finished off an exhausted Lycanroc

Cradily17

I am so happy Ash won. As someone who's 27 and watched the original series as a kid, it's like some of my dreams were with Ash, if that makes sense. If he aged like a normal person he'd be about my age.

Still a bit salty he didn't win in XYZ though. There was so much more hype that season.
I'm glad he won here instead of XY. Unlike XY Ash's team in SM was better since all of them got a chance to shine whereas Pikachu and Greninja hogged the spotlight in XY.

FlygontheRavager

#1 Pokémon Anime Fan!
Gladion's fatal error was probably keeping in Silvally after defeating Melmetal. If he recalled it and let it rest and regain strength it could have finished off an exhausted Lycanroc

Doubt it. Silvally might have recovered a bit with some rest, but two Double Iron Bashes from Melmetal weakened it enough for Pikachu to take it out with one Iron Tail. Even if what you're saying did happen, a few well-placed hits from Lycanroc would've been the end for Silvally.

Cradily17

The writing hints that the SM cast will continue on to Galar.
I really hope that's the case. The characters in SM are far more likeable and have more development than the ones in XY. Cutting your hair and "Dude Science LMAO; my inventions always break down!" are not how you properly do characters.

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
I really hope that's the case. The characters in SM are far more likeable and have more development than the ones in XY. Cutting your hair and "Dude Science LMAO; my inventions always break down!" are not how you properly do characters.
They're still far more memorable than

Lying Lecherous Loli
Literally Cardboard
Fat Kid Who Likes Food
HOOOOSHIIIIIII

DatsRight

I think all of them have potential, just SM has more free range storytelling as most of XY did. They couldn't go on 'auto pilot' because a COTD or TR took over the plot most of the time, sometimes they had to drive the story or there WAS NO story.

Hell the league almost felt like it was undermining the old formula, how beating up bad guys like Team Rocket a few times over did NOT make Mallow or Lillie badasses or help with their development much at all. It was pointless fluff compared to legit training.

Xenon Blue

No Hard Feelings
Not exactly how I envisioned Ash would win his first league, but I guess it's something? No 6v6, let alone only one 3v3, battles were uninspiring and bland most of the time, literally only ONE battle had switching going on, and both cases were due to a move's effect or ability. Like is switching banned in Alola or something? It's kind of sad when the best battle of this league is around on-par with something like Ash vs Conway. I have no way to sum this up other than battles in this region have been severely lackluster. I know there is still the full battle coming up, but honestly I have no faith in that battle being good, maybe mediocre at best. Maybe Gen8 will bring in a new protagonist and actually make battles interesting again by focusing on developing as a trainer, as Ash clearly has nothing to learn now in terms of battles.

haqiw

So as the Champion does that mean Ash will have to stay in Alola to defend his title and do all those Champion stuffs Cynthia and Steven do? Does that mean we really are going to get a new main for Sword and Shield?

Xuxuba

I'm glad he won here instead of XY. Unlike XY Ash's team in SM was better since all of them got a chance to shine whereas Pikachu and Greninja hogged the spotlight in XY.
Oh yeah Melmetal and Torracat really shined so much on this competition. Like, remember when Melmetal ate that medal and won without even fighting? What about the moment when Torracat won that one battle in 2 seconds just because of emergency exit surprising Scizor and taking him out of the pokeball? Those were truly highlights of the series. I also love how Lycanroc was completely ignored for the past episodes just to appear out of nowhere and grab the final win. Totally didn't forget he existed until then.

Last edited:

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
So as the Champion does that mean Ash will have to stay in Alola to defend his title and do all those Champion stuffs Cynthia and Steven do? Does that mean we really are going to get a new main for Sword and Shield?
Ash is the Champion of the Orange Islands yet never has to go battle anyone there, so...probably not?

He's immortalized in the Hall of Fame and has his Pity Trophy, so he can leave right after the Masked Royal fight

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
MR beats the kid and takes the title for himself.

Otherwise, either Ash keeps the title or...he gives it away because it would probably mean he needs to live in Alola TILL HE DIES.

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
taking into account the confirmation od Naganadel returning I would've preffered him to replace Melmetal and fight Silvally while Meltan could've evolved vs Guzzlord. A Guzzlord vs Melmetal and Silvally vs Naganadel fight seem more right

dman_dustin

I should've brought this up earlier but I kind of wanted to sit and think about it.

People complain Ash had plot armor, yet they don't realize Gladion technically cheated thanks to the writers.

Counter.

Counter is not a move that you can just randomly use and it works. It only works if you the Pokemon have actually taken damage and you reflect that damage double.

The first time Gladion's Lycanroc used Counter, it was legitimate, because Ash's actually hit Gladion's (though it kind of happened at the same time). The 2nd time, the big one, Gladion's Lycanroc completely avoided the damage taken and used counter, but counter what? Lycanroc never received damage from anything AT that point in time, since Lycanroc used a different move since receiving the last bit of damage it received.

The next time, after confusion wore off, same issue, Lycanroc immediately countered Ash's Lycanroc without taking any damage (though in this case there's an argument that Lycanroc received enough damage from punching Ash's Lycanroc from counter from the attack (though maybe not really, if it was bite, only accelerock) to actually counter with, unlike the first one, where Lycanroc avoided getting hit completely.

Which leads to the last one, which like I said before could be legitimate based of the force of Accelerock hitting Lycanroc's fist while it counters, but that's a little debatable.

Ash's usage of counter however, while not possible in the games (due to strict technical limits of the turn based fighting game mechanic, that forces a pause in the action so you can select the next attack, something that logically shouldn't happen in the anime, which has a more free flowing turn based fighting style) is probably the most legitimate usage of counter of all the counters that were used. Because Ash's Lycanroc received damage then countered that damage to Gladion's Lycanroc.

So if Ash had plot armor, Gladion mostly had strictly anime logic on his side, which was kind of annoying. Sure maybe the anime can get away with counter reflecting what would be the appropriate damage, or maybe anime logic says that all the damage a Pokemon received prior to using counter qualifies as well as what would be damage from an incoming attack. But when you look at it from that perspective, Ash's Lycanroc's counter would've technically been the most powerful counter in the battle, since Ash only had his Lycanroc use counter AT that point.

Either way I think the counters were fine, annoying because Gladion shouldn't have been able to use counter most of the time he used it, without some weird logic but its whatever, they chose it to work like it did. And maybe Ash's Lycanroc shouldn't have taken so much damage, though with the first point, it's not like Ash's Lycanroc should've received THAT much damage even if it was reflected, so maybe they just exaggerated the pounding Ash's Lycanroc took from those counters just to put Ash in a tight spot.

Or maybe Ash's Lycanroc was running on pure adrenaline and shocked Gladion's Lycanroc so much with that last counter, that was why Gladion's Lycanroc fainted. Would make sense if the Pokemon's mental state somewhat dictated how the battle goes , Ash's Lycanroc wanting to give it all, pushes beyond its normal limits. Gladion's Lycanroc not doing so well but believes it can win, so when it got countered at that last point, it probably shocked Gladion's Lycanroc and then slamming against the wall hard like it did, could've easily been more than enough to cause it to faint, perhaps if its mental state was different, it could've survived? But its hard to guess with an entirely scripted show.

Either we accept its a scripted show entirely and just have to shrug our shoulders and accept certain things, or we just have to assume in-universe, these Pokemon are capable of feats that go WAY beyond just how many hit points and stats a Pokemon has.