• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

He's Born! The Alolan League Winner! (1082)

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
Now let's hope that Guzzlord doesn't destroy the universe just because Ash won. ;)
I'm more wondering how they will play it out with 2 Guzzlord. Don't really see the point.

Comparing this thread to Kalos League victory is thread is really crazy. I remember that thread being like 10 pages long before episode even started.
Episode was good: Zoroark vs Pikachu > Lycanroc battle. Lycanroc battle was OK, I dislike how DL didn't faint after all those Counter but I remember this is anime after all and it was such Ash way to finish it: counter the counter LMAO. This final battle(for Ash) is only better than Ash vs Ritchie and probably Ash vs Cameron. Ash vs Alain still stays as the best Finale battle in Pokemon.

Probably because this Ash is definiatly much weaker than any of the previous Ash, so only hardcore fans care about this.
Just a few previous league battles which were much better than this entire league:
1.Ash VS Garry (Johto League)
2.Ash VS Tyson (Hoenn League)
3.Ash VS Paul (Sinnoh League)
4.Ash VS Sawyer (Kalos League)
5.Ash VS Alain (Kalos League)
6.Ash VS Harrison (Johto League)

Hell, even his battles against Tobias and Conway were better than this entire league! And these were only the battles of Ash.

It is one thing if Ash wins a league, but did this Ash deserve this?

I truly feel that this league victory was just a "give away present" to those fans who wanted to see Ash winning the Kalos League. So bad, that the Kalos League had tension, soul and hyper. This one... it was like a soulless contest.

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
I remember being heartbroken as a kid seeing Ash lose the Indigo League in a way that felt so unfair.

Getting back into this show as an adult with Sun and Moon, I never would have imagined they'd actually let him win after all this time. It may not have been quite the league win that everyone wanted, but it was filled with characters and pokemon we knew and loved, and seeing Ash finally get the win at the end of a region means a lot.

Good work, Ash.
Well, without the nostalgia goggles Indigo League is far from being a good league anyway, so I think you still have the right to compare it

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
Probably because this Ash is definiatly much weaker than any of the previous Ash, so only hardcore fans care about this.
Just a few previous league battles which were much better than this entire league:

Hell, even his battles against Tobias and Conway were better than this entire league! And these were only the battles of Ash.

I truly feel that this league victory was just a "give away present" to those fans who wanted to see Ash winning the Kalos League. So bad, that the Kalos League had tension, soul and hyper. This one... it was like a soulless contest.
No, Ash being weak or winning or losing a league doesn't matter when it comes to episode being good or bad, it's about structure and battles that matter. Despite battle was good, it's nowhere near as good as 6 on 6 battles with good battles,tension and soul. I agree I kinda felt soulless or colorless watching this battle, it lacked impact and tension, similar to Ash vs Cameron and Ash vs Ritchie.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
Winning an official Regional League is a part of being Pokémon Master, which is what Ash's primary goal is. After a potential loss against Kukui, who is also the final boss in Sun and Moon, the writers might revise Ash's decision to travel different region(s) and become much stronger to continue his journey Galar-onwards. I just can't wait all be revealed on 29th.

As for the battle, we were all spoiled by Oha Suta. I can't understand how an official program can make such a mistake, but it is what it is. If we were going in blind, I'd given hope Ash winning it after continuous spam of Counter and Stone Edge. Ash's final blow with counter-Counter attack and Midnight Lycanroc hitting itself with confusion was nice to see.

Yes, Ash didn't win an official league before, but if you watch the anime since its start, you feel it is a well-worthy one after all the hassle Ash went through. Good job writers, for letting us fans live the moment. Well done, Ash.

CMButch

Stop overhyping it. Kalos league had literally two good matches. It ruined Mega Charizard Y's debut while totally shilling the unbeatable Alan.

Johto and Sinnoh were better.
Kalos league > Alola league. Sinnoh and Hoenn > Kalos( Johto would be like equal to Kalos).

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
I have to admit, I was heart pounding whenever I saw Dusk Lycanroc get beaten down again and again. Even though I know he'll win, the fact they keep taunting and trolling us with possible chokes, like Midnight Lycanroc using Counter or breaking out of Confusion.

And thus it was sastifying that Dusk Lycanroc Counter with Counter.

Actually if you think about it, ash's last pokemon always comes from behind to beat his main rivals last poemon that has been the norm, first it was charizard vs blastoise then it was infernape ve electivire and then it was ash greninja vs mega sceptile and now this, its constant that ash's pokemon always struggle to find a way and then they make there comeback.

As for ash vs gladion, thank you SM you undid one mistake XY did and that was not beating ash's rival even once.

I understand about this league not being as prestigious, but even though there were a few plot devices Ash is still strong enough to win this league
He reached the semi finas and finals of way more difficult leagues, I think he losing there would be pretty frustrating anyway

Just remind you:
1.this "Alolan Champion Ash" couldn't capture a worm which he did in the first opening of Sun & Moon.
2.this "Alolan Champion Ash" used a Pikachu to capture an Electric type pokemon in a half-ass way only to fail.
3.this "Alolan Champion Ash" was dominated by a butler.
4.this "Alolan Champion Ash" didn't know what is Flame Charge despite in the previous series it was the main move one of his main pokemon and used it quite a lot.

But in a way you are right. Since he climbed himself up to Top 4 and Top 2 in more powerful leagues, winning this kid show should be easy for him.

Ultra Beast Lover

So Ash finally won something. Maybe that was the grand plan? Make us lose all hope that he'll win so that if/when they do a story like Galar they can make him win a league beforehand. But what does that mean for the future? He won an official league so what does that mean?

Well, no matter, it at least cures some of the burnout for me. I will need to find out where the victory is being shown...I have to see Ash's, "Wait, I won?!" face

CMButch

So Ash finally won something. Maybe that was the grand plan? Make us lose all hope that he'll win so that if/when they do a story like Galar they can make him win a league beforehand. But what does that mean for the future? He won an official league so what does that mean?

Well, no matter, it at least cures some of the burnout for me. I will need to find out where the victory is being shown...I have to see Ash's, "Wait, I won?!" face
Nothing, he will go to Galar and lose the league and continue losing for good 10 years.. their excuse would be: Ash won Alola league in 2019, then he'd win something in 2030s.

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member

League isn't over yet because there's the exhibition match, which is definitely getting the top billing.

As for what we have so far, I agree with your top 4. Those battles are absolutely better than anything in Alola as far as pure thrills. I don't agree with the last two, since both suffered from a lot of contrivances toward the end which hurt the enjoyment.

The best battle in this league so far was Kiawe v. Gladion, which is about the same level of fun as Ash v. Stephan. A lot of the other "battles" were more cathartic character moments, tremendous in their own right but not entertaining battles.

VoltTacklingPika

I actually went into this blind, but 90% certain Ash would lose.

When Dusk Lycanroc hit that Counter to the gut, complete with slow motion to emphasise the impact, I did think "well, that's it". I thought Ash would go for the big finishing move and then fail heroically like always.

Then, "Counter the Counter!" happened and I laughed at the absurdity of it.

Now watch as nothing changes and the show continues on its merry way like nothing happened.

dman_dustin

I actually went into this blind, but 90% certain Ash would lose.

When Dusk Lycanroc hit that Counter to the gut, complete with slow motion to emphasise the impact, I did think "well, that's it". I thought Ash would go for the big finishing move and then fail heroically like always.

Then, "Counter the Counter!" happened and I laughed at the absurdity of it.

Now watch as nothing changes and the show continues on its merry way like nothing happened.

I do think it was one of the best ways to end the Lycanroc vs Lycanroc fight.

You have Gladion spamming counter, and Ash saves his own Counter as the FINAL attack that caught Gladion off guard (WAIT your Lycanroc knows that MOVE TOO?????!!!!!!!")

Well Gee Gladion, he only used three moves against your Lycanroc up to that point.