• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

He's Born! The Alolan League Winner! (1082)

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
I think what really struck me was Ash and Gladion laughing at the mere thought of a serious battle. Yes I know, I know, that’s Alola to the T, and if I liked Alola’s narrative, maybe it would have been better. But like I said before, this “ league “ has had different priorities since its inception.
This...is not an issue. Especially since how far Ash and Gladion's trust/chemistry has come.

DatsRight

The Alola League felt more like the actual development arc rather than one that finalises and culminates it all. In a way it almost felt like this training course for all the cast so they'd be ready for this final showdown with Guzzlord and whatever the show may have for them next.

In a sense it's a double edged sword since while the battles were mostly more mundane it also meant the whole thing felt less formal and more character driven. It was easier to root for everyone getting a good way in.

This...is not an issue. Especially since how far Ash and Gladion's trust/chemistry has come.

I feel that it is. Narratively, in terms of Gladion and Ash’s relationship it was a strong moment. However, in my view it undermines this tournament and what my idea of a league should be even more.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Pikachu vs Zoroark - Pretty great. It had lots of high speed moments.
Ash bringing back the strategy he used against Hala was really nice. I was really surprised at how they turned it around, though. Not merely dodging the hands, but breaking straight through them, causing Zoroark to get hit by Breakneck Blitz and its own attack.

The parallels betwen Ash and Gladion are really cool. Gladion didn't have to run up to Zoroark like Ash did for Pikachu, but again, he did. Their shared laughter. There's this mutual respect between them, and it's so nice considering how Gladion wanted nothing to do with Ash when they first met.

Lycanroc vs Lycanroc - Also high speed, but with more rocks. Lots of rocks.
Gladion's strategy of using Stone Edge to limit Ash's Lycanroc's movements. Both Lycanroc breaking through the other's Stone Edge (though Ash's was a bit silly due to Bite's animation). And finally, the return of Ash's Lycanroc's Counter.

Ash's reaction to winning was pefect. He just stood their, mouth agape, while everyone cheered him on. He was just as surprised as we would be if it wasn't spoiled a few days ago. Ya earned it, Ketchum.

Y'know, something I really like was how even it was. No special Abilities that work far differently than how they're supposed to. No putting Ash's opponent at a disadvantage for no apparent reason. No special anime-only power up that amounted to nothing despite all the hype. Just two boys and their dogs fighting evenly.

Kuzehiko

That moment I found a lifetime treasure
When was the last time they did that for a league?
In DP they showed May's rivals and family watching her on television during the Wallace cup. As for Ash, I think it was during the Hoenn league when Misty watched him battling Tyson.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Meh, would have been better if they didn't end on the same fight we saw time and time again.

I am not sure, i think it was Sinnoh. I didn't mind as much on the other Leagues since he didn't win them, but for his first win ever (if we do not count OI) i believe they should have been acknowledge.

Maybe they’ll do something post tournament

In DP they showed May's rivals and family watching her on television during the Wallace cup. As for Ash, I think it was during the Hoenn league when Misty watched him battling Tyson.

Didn’t remember that, thanks

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
Y'know, something I really like was how even it was. No special Abilities that work far differently than how they're supposed to. No putting Ash's opponent at a disadvantage for no apparent reason. No special anime-only power up that amounted to nothing despite all the hype. Just two boys and their dogs fighting evenly.

I agree wholeheartedly. Even the moves they used between them were pretty basic.

Stone Edge
Counter
Bite
Accelrock
Outrage
Swords Dance

Also, I called it. They played Type: Wild! with the final match-up. It was nice seeing the flashbacks between the doggies. I am so happy Ash's ace ended up being Lycanroc this time around.

. . . oh yeah Ash won the league. Yay! Champion Ash.

That's so nice!

Top 16
Orange League Champion
Top 8
Top 8
Battle Frontier conqueror
Top 4
Top 8
Top 2
Alola League Champion

It's been a while.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
Disney XD needs to broadcast this in primetime

The usual morning time slot will not do this episode Justice

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I agree wholeheartedly. Even the moves they used between them were pretty basic.

Stone Edge
Counter
Bite
Accelrock
Outrage
Swords Dance

Also, I called it. They played Type: Wild! with the final match-up. It was nice seeing the flashbacks between the doggies. I am so happy Ash's ace ended up being Lycanroc this time around.

. . . oh yeah Ash won the league. Yay! Champion Ash.

That's so nice!

Top 16
Orange League Champion
Top 8
Top 8
Battle Frontier conqueror
Top 4
Top 8
Top 2
Alola League Champion

It's been a while.
Eh, that was one thing I didn’t like about the episode. After hearing that Ash & Paul’s match at the Sinnoh League ended with Type: Wild playing after Infernape’s Blaze activated, I wish they did a similar thing here & saved the song for the end of the match. In my opinion, the anime’s remake of the game intro for either XY, SM, or BW would’ve been better for the flashback.

Last edited:

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
I don't want too sound like one of those people who are never satisfied but while I am happy he finally won one it was extremely bittersweet.

Because 20+ years of league losses drained me dry of any respect for him and the writers.

On top of it the league's bar was set low it was a victory in a series where battling wasn't the main focus but jokes were.

So I'm happy but not as happy as I should be.

So if you guys and gals enjoyed it that's great I am happy for you, I just couldn't enjoy it as much as I should.

BladexFade

Ash did it, he finally won. It is cool that Ash finally won one league, however beating the current champion is still a different ballpark, it makes you wonder did the reason why they made Ash win was to make up for the loss in XYZ league or simply winning one league means his dream of becoming a pokemon champion, and thus his journey, comes to an end.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Sigh. So much positivity here. I guess the blind fans will do anything to defend pokemon.
Don’t get me wrong, this wasn’t the best episode or the best league (my top 3 are still Sinnoh, The Silver Conference, & Hoenn), but it was fun to watch considering that Sun & Moon is more focused on comedy or character development & we knew from the beginning this would be lackluster compared to other league matches. Plus, it’s more about refusing to get off of cloud nine since so many hard core fans’ dreams finally came true than it is about defending Pokémon.

As someone who’s been watching the anime since 1997/1998, I wish the match was better but I’m content that they just gave us this. Besides, we all know Ash is going to lose to the Masked Royal if they continue the league after stopping Guzzlord anyway. I’m happy that Ash won the tournament, but I won’t completely believe that he won the Alola League or that he’s the real champion unless he beats the Masked Royal since he’s been perceived as Alola’s true champion & they’ve been teasing Ash’s eventual battle with Prof. Kukui since episode 2 of Sun & Moon (which I hardly see happening)

Last edited: