• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

He's Born! The Alolan League Winner! (1082)

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
Well not really he just won a league and we don’t know what makes someone a Pokémon master.
Winning a League makes one a Master according to the final episode of DP. As much as I hate that saga, I won't pretend it isn't canon.
Besides, it makes his victory in this episode even better.

Last edited:

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
Winning a League makes one a Master according to the final episode of DP. As much as I hate that saga, I won't pretend it isn't canon.
That's actually untrue. The Japanese version explicitly states that it's only one step towards being a Pokemon Master.

If Ash is already a Pokemon Master why would the series after DP act like Ash is still aiming towards achieving a goal that he's supposedly already achieved. So yeah, it's a mistake from the dub side. And quite a silly one too.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Tuned out as soon as I saw those words. Whatever it has to say is meaningless.

Besides, becoming a Master doesn't mean the show's over.
How do you say that you’ll acknowledge a region’s saga as canon despite it not being your cup of tea but then go on to ignore the Japanese dub (the original mind you)?

And they didn’t say the show is over (obviously) as we’re in the beginning SM’s successor saga atm. They just said everything after is him continuing his goal. They just noted that it’s only part of his goal.

Ryu Taylor

How do you say that you’ll acknowledge a region’s saga as canon despite it not being your cup of tea but then go on to ignore the Japanese dub (the original mind you)?
I've been ignoring the JP version for years until PM2019 premiered. PM2019's JP self being good doesn't magically make all the other sagas' JP selves good. So, to me, they're meaningless and not worth regarding as true.
And really, from those times, what have dub watchers missed anyway that was of any importance?

Hey, don't be rude. That version is--
the one that took until last November to stop being an annoying piece of trash.

You of all people should know that prefacing any explanation with anything along the lines of "in the Japanese version" loses my attention immediately.

Last edited:

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I've been ignoring the JP version for years until PM2019 premiered. PM2019's JP self being good doesn't magically make all the other sagas' JP selves good. So, to me, they're meaningless and not worth regarding as true.
And really, from those times, what have dub watchers missed anyway that was of any importance?
I ignore a lot of the franchise but I don’t write it off as meaningless if it has importance like the meaning of a PM. I’m not someone who really cares about what form of the show I watch outside of music sometimes like you and other people so I’m not going to compare the differences between the Japanese and English airings.The show is created with the mindset of what was established in previous episodes of the Japanese dub so that’s what I’m going by.

Ignore it or not, I don’t really care. Just pointing out an inconsistency in your logic. Being good hasn’t nothing to do with being canon.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl

You of all people should know that prefacing any explanation with anything along the lines of "in the Japanese version" loses my attention immediately.
What about in the ice cream version? Or in the sock monkey version? In the milkman version? Or in the pink donut version? Do you discriminate those? Huh! Do ya!

You can’t just ignore the original intentions. It’s like “Ooo the pink donut version didn’t match what I view. I will twist that and make them my words.” Doing that is bad and is my and other people’s points. Go on and accept it. We’re all men.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!

PM2019 literally has Ash state that a pokemon master is "much more" than being the strongest trainer in the world (which, for obvious reasons, is much more than just a champion)

Ryu Taylor

PM2019 literally has Ash state that a pokemon master is "much more" than being the strongest trainer in the world (which, for obvious reasons, is much more than just a champion)
If that's true, then that'd be a retcon (which, to be fair, this show--no, the whole franchise--is no stranger to) of DP's statement.

Ryu Taylor

I ignore a lot of the franchise but I don’t write it off as meaningless if it has importance like the meaning of a PM. I’m not someone who really cares about what form of the show I watch outside of music sometimes like you and other people so I’m not going to compare the differences between the Japanese and English airings.The show is created with the mindset of what was established in previous episodes of the Japanese dub so that’s what I’m going by.

Ignore it or not, I don’t really care. Just pointing out an inconsistency in your logic. Being good hasn’t nothing to do with being canon.
Do what you want, I'm not stopping you.

But I have to say, it's really telling of the sub standom how members of their kind (dragalge, AuraChannelerChris, Twilight-Kun(t), and Sonnas) took such issue with my choice. Though, then again, the fact I even watch the dub at all makes me their nemesis, so perhaps it was inevitable.

Ryu Taylor

Can we keep the thread on topic instead of bickering with one another?

Thanks.
To think it all started because I was happy with Ash becoming a Pokemon Master. Or whatever the show's deeming him assuming it already retconned the Master requirements once again.

Oh well.

To return to topic (which I'll be the first to do since I unintentionally caused a swerve), I imagine Lycanroc gained a lot of admirers thanks to this battle. I already was one; this battle just made it better.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
To think it all started because I was happy with Ash becoming a Pokemon Master. Or whatever the show's deeming him assuming it already retconned the Master requirements once again.

Oh well.

To return to topic (which I'll be the first to do since I unintentionally caused a swerve), I imagine Lycanroc gained a lot of admirers thanks to this battle. I already was one; this battle just made it better.
He certainly became a favorite, there were lots of memes about him being the goodest of bois, also some from SM fanboys about him doing what greninja couldn't.

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
Furthermore, the series after DP (BW, XY, SM and PM) state that Ash is still aiming to become Pokemon Master, which is proof enough Ash didn't become Pokemon Master in DP. He is still trying to accomplish this goal in the current series. So really, there's not much to discuss here. The dub made a mistake. It happens, not the first nor the last time.