• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

HG/SS game guide marketing c*ck-up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

erebus

When I buy my games I like to buy the game guides along with them. However, when I bought my HG/SS guide I realised that it lacked info on post E4 gameplay, i.e. a whole region (Kanto), which is basically the second half of the SAME GAME, was not included in the game guide! I now know that there will be a vol. 2 of the guide, with the walkthrough for Kanto being included in that.

I personally don't think it's a bad thing that there are two volumes of the guide, after all it would be a pretty big book if they put it all into one. The problem I do have with it is that they are releasing the second one a whole month AFTER the game! That means that by the time it IS released it’s almost certain that all the players would have already beaten the Kanto part of the game! It makes no sense to me, surely by doing it this way they are risking losing out.

Think about it this way; a player has just gone to Kanto after beating the champion and is stuck on where to find a certain item, he can't turn to the official Kanto guide for help as it isn't out yet, so instead he turns to Google and types in 'where to find (name of item) in HG/SS'. By doing this the player will most likely come across serebii.net (or some other similar website), discovering that not only does the web have ALL the info he would need on the Kanto and Johto regions, pokemon, movepools, items, etc. but that it is also FREE to access.

People will just turn to the web, and by the time the second guide comes out hardly anyone will want/need it. But I guess Nintendo shouldn’t be so thick in the first place as to do something so obviously counter-productive!

What do you think of the HG/SS game guide situation? Will you buy it when it FINALLY gets released? Have you ever bothered with them anyway?

P.S. I should point out that I will be getting it, but only because I collect guides to the games i buy! Weird I know, but what are ya gona do!?

Penguinist Trainer

Well you have to remember the game is marketed towards kids, so they may not be blazing right through the game as fast as you claim, especially considering school is still in session. I spend most of my time at work, and thus far I am still training before my fight with Clair.

Also, the Kanto part of your journey is considered part of the Post Game story. They did the same thing with Diamond/Pearl and Platinum. They released a guide that covered the main story for people who want help getting to the end. The 2nd guide they released was the more in-depth guide, which included full pokedex information, strategies for raising, breeding, etc, and any post-game information.

I don't think they are losing money out to the internet, because people are going to look stuff up on the internet anyways. but that doesn't mean the internet is always available. sometimes you just might want that strategy guide during a long car ride.

i always pick up strategy guides because i like the reference material. sometimes its easier to open a book than going online just to find the answer to some trivial piece of information.

bel9

n3w 2 sppf :3
I had briefly contemplated buying the guide- only realizing it was only the first part of the game (which I already know well enough). I can see how you are distraught as the guide has been broken up into two books but understand that as the games get larger and longer it is more difficult to compact all the information in the game into one book.
You make a very valiant point- alot of people do turn to the web. Between Bulbapedia, serebii and other sites I can figure everything out about HG/SS without a guidebook but alot of people sometimes enjoy having a hard copy.
Quite personally I was disappointed in the Ruby/Sapphire and FR/LG guides. I loved the Emerald guidebook though. But due to the let down of previous books and the rise of the internet I have decided not to buy anymore guidebooks (If I do buy one for HG/SS it will be vol 2).
And honestly my favorite guidebook of all time: http://www.amazon.com/Versus-Official-Pokemon-Silver-Adventure/dp/0970347324

Grei

not the color
They usually do that. The guide is there for getting through the game up to the Elite Four, and post-E4 adventures are left up to you.

Not like it's that difficult to get around Kanto anyway. : / Has it been said that a Kanto guide will be released? If not, don't expect it to ever be made. If you have specific questions, go online.

The Kanto guide's out now... I got it today. Also, I have a habit of buying strategy guides after I beat the game... I like the pictures. => And don't suggest online, I don't always have access to a computer.

WynautQueen

Pokemon Caretaker
Eh, it's just a way of making more money. I don't mind; I picked up the first guide and I'll probably pick up the second, too...

An00bis

Wicked Witch
You don't really need a guide to beat HGSS if you (1) talk to everyone and (2) walk around everywhere.

The only Game Guide I ever purchased was for the Artwork rather then the information. Some of the Guide Books have rare or unreleased artwork in high quality to make it a worthwhile purchase but I don't know if that's the case for Pokemon. Most of the official stuff I've seen in the States just recycles older artwork. Imagine it's the same case for the guides.

The Guy

Generic Charizard
Well you have to remember the game is marketed towards kids, so they may not be blazing right through the game as fast as you claim, especially considering school is still in session.

I'm still in school and I beat the game in six days. :p I beat Kanto in two weeks, though.

Anyway, about the whole guide thing, I noticed that before this topic was created, AND before I got HeartGold and SoulSilver. So it's nothing new to me.

parukia49

I have the guidebooks for gold/silver and ruby/sapphire but I don't bother anymore as I'm a 'big kid' now and don't really need much help and I can always go on the net if I want specific help.

Another thing about guidebooks that annoyed me was the amount of minor errors in the book. Clearly, the editors aren't doing their jobs. Writing IgglyPUFF instead of IgglyBUFF, wrong abilities listed in the pokedex of r/s such as oblivious for camerupt instead of magma armour, or torrent for milotic instead of marvel scale and others. You're paying like $20 or more, they should be better than that!

HoennMaster

I've actually e-mailed Prima about the long wait. I don't mind buying too, just wonder why volume 2 is coming out over a month after the games and if I recall correctly (don't have the e-mail anymore) they said something along the lines of it has to be this way because HeartGold and SoulSilver have so much information that needs to be covered and they had to split it up and April 27th was the fastest they could get it out. I've made it through Kanto on HG, but I'll buy it for use with SS.

They did the same thing with Diamond/Pearl and Platinum. They released a guide that covered the main story for people who want help getting to the end. The 2nd guide they released was the more in-depth guide, which included full pokedex information, strategies for raising, breeding, etc, and any post-game information.

Actually they only did that with D/P. Platinum has one giant guide.

Willow's Tara

The Bewitched
Yeah I bought it along with Soul Silver to discover it wasn't too helpful, it was okay a couple of times but the Platinum (Not to mention R/S) guide was alot more helpful. If they bring the second one into Australia I might buy it so I don't have to google it everytime. (I am going to get Heart Gold tool)

Spacialrend

Gallade owns
Damn I can't believe I forgot to buy it! I went in the day before HGSS were released, argh if only I had gon into JB Hi-fi instead...

HoennMaster

Forgot to mention this, but I will buy the second one since it will have a National Dex listing, making constantly looking here and at Bulbapedia less needed. Plus I want it for SoulSilver when I finish up with HeartGold.

Clamps

Warning: Jokes!
Why would you need to buy a guide when you have the magical world of The Internet at your very fingertips?

Some people don't have access to The Internet™ 24/7, smartypants.

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
Wow, I've never heard the phrase "c*ck up".

Honestly, there are so many Nintendo money grabbing attempts that its hard to count.

Clamps

Warning: Jokes!
Wow, I've never heard the phrase "c*ck up".

Honestly, there are so many Nintendo money grabbing attempts that its hard to count.

Homie, the guide is by Prima. Nintendo stopped making official guides a bit after D/P came out. Hence why there's no Pt guide.

Dragonfly

I bought the first part thinking it was going to be a full guide, I was a little dissapointed to be honest. Especially when I read the Pokedex at the back of the Guide. I had read up to Ecruteak City and saw the tips they had for catching the Legendary Dogs, but only Entei and Raikou. So I went to the Pokedex and read how you had to transfer Suicune from another game, I was dissapointed as Suicune is my favourite. But then a friend said how Suicune is roaming around Kanto. So the Guide is a little misleading in that respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.