• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

HG/SS or Black and White?

☭Secret_Shocker☭

I prefer HGSS a lot more. It's got better things than BW.

Autis-misc

Abridger
I would say HG/SS because of one reason, mostly...

HG/SS has PokeAthelon
BW has Musical.

your choice.

EeveeSkitty

Pokemon.
HGSS has more to do, but BW had a decent plot and actual characters. I loved how fast the battles were too. I'm hoping BW2 will be combining the plot and speed with the wide range of areas to visit and things to do. The Musical just didn't cut it. Both games are great though, I'd recommend them both.

Earthia100

Well, judging from your siggy, It looks like you have played a gen III game. Good. Now you must ask yourself several questions.
1.) Do I plan on getting B/W or B2/W2 in the future? If you do, then you might want to buy HG/SS. That way you can migrate your Pokemon from those games to the Gen IV game. And eventually to B/W.

2.) Wi-fi. This is very important. Does your router have WEP or WPA security? If you have WEP, then don't worry about this. If you have WPA, the wi-fi features of both B/W and HG/SS will not work on a DS or DS lite. But if you buy a DSi, you don't have a GBA slot. Consider that.

3.) New and Fresh or Nostalgic? You already have Silver Version. HG/SS is slightly different, but many aspects are the same. In B/W, the game in general is fast-paced and lots of fun. (with a few surprises)

4.) Price. Are you buying new or used? Believe it or not, HG/SS costs more than B/W. Not by much, though. The difference will get you a candy bar and Pepsi if you buy B/W. For HG/SS, you'll have to play hungry.

5.) The stuff. For a new copy of HG/SS you get a *drumroll*... Pokewalker! For a new copy of B/W you get a *drumroll*... Lucario! (you'll need the global link to redeem it though.)

In the end it's all up to you. Either way, they're both great games and I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever one you decide on.

Serebii!

My favourite Pokemon games have been Heart Gold and White. I think if you decide to get BW2 later you should get HGSS now, even though BW and BW2 are different games they are both part of the same generation and are in the same reigon and BW2 will probably have more to do than BW did

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
HGSS is vastly overrated, IMO. Looking back, I probably spent half the time I have clocked on it doing Pokethlon. The Pokemon selection is sub-par unless you're a Genwunner, the leveling is screwed up beyond belief, and Kanto can be beaten in two days. Expect to spend half your time grinding and half your time one-shotting things, because there is no sense of pacing whatsoever. For all the hate BW gets about its post-game, HGSS practically mandates grinding your Pokemon up 20 levels -after- beating Kanto before you can really do anything worthwhile.

BW is not my favorite, but it's definitely one of the better games in the series, especially compared to HGSS. I'd avoid HGSS like the plague.

Brute Root

I'm a Christian
I would say Get B/W first so you can have an idea of the story and beat it first (because you can't migrate pokemon until after you beat the elite 4 anyway) and THEN buy HG/SS so that after you beat that, you can migrate the Johto Pokemon over to BW...and then when B2/W2 comes out, buy that and then trade/migrate everything.

Kian D

Grandmaster of time
I like the bw series, but soulsilver was the most awesome game I've played so far (Still waiting for the english version for B2W2).

cookies kill you

Like a boss
I would defiently go with HG/SS I mean you fight 16 gyms annnnnnd get 3 starters in the game you face Red oh and theres gym rematches hi BW

Valkneer

Wandering Trainer
I think HG/SS is better because of the 2-region gameplay ^^

Trainer Michael

Pokemon Champion
These are all great responses, keep them coming!

So far, from what I've read and seen, HG/SS looks like it has better graphics, classic Pokemon, the Pokewalker and Pokeathlon, and the Battle Frontier. Not to mention Gym Leader rematches. BW is a brand new region, with all new Pokemon, and the seasons effect. But B2W2 comes out in October, and it already looks like a way better version of BW.

Still torn between the two. :)

randomspot555

HGSS also has move tutors. Though really, the move tutors and Battle Frontier are stolen because they were originally featured in Pokemon Platinum. Only some minor changes are made, such as using BP instead of shards for move tutors, and some changes in what moves the Battle Frontier leaders use on their Pokemon.

HGSS doesn't really have "better graphics." We can debate if the aesthetic styles of Kanto and Johto are better than Unova, but BW by far has better graphics and the frame rate is faster so everything doesn't take as long.

Saw a thread similar to this concerning Platinum/Black and White, and obviously, BW is better. But, did you guys prefer HG/SS, or Black and White? I'm getting my first DS over the weekend, and I was wondering which one to get. I played the original Silver (my all time favorite Pokemon game) when I was a kid, and beat it about 3-4 times over, so I thought BW would be the most logical choice, since I already played Silver. But, with BW2 coming out in the fall, is HG/SS any better than BW, and which one should I get? I know HG/SS is much longer, has much more stuff to do (Pokeathlon, Battle Frontier, Gym Leader rematches, etc.), but BW is brand new and fresh, even though there's not much to do postgame. So, which one is the better one to get at this point in time?

You probably made your choice already but get black/white. I'm a huge fan of the older generations, but you gotta let it go and keep up with the times lol. If you plan on playing future pokemon games, black/white is the way to go. If you only want a trip down memory lane, HGSS is the way to go. In terms of bang for your buck, HGSS will last you a lot longer; but you've beaten it so many times itll probably feel too stale. Just go with Black/White and pick up BW2 in October. I'm playing BW2 now on a ds lite and its fun! Don't wanna miss this one.