• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

HGSS PokeDex Discussion

Tadashi

kiss my greens
Both birds avaible on both games is a must ._.

Hate to burst your bubble, but Ho-Oh will only be available on HeartGold, and Lugia will be exclusive to SoulSilver, just like in the originals.

Personally, I wish the Dex would stay the same as in the original version, but updated with the evolution lines (Magby>Magmar>Magmortar, or Yanma>Yanmega, as an example.)

League

Master Abra Catcher
In the originals you could get both.

Zalman

Master of Puppets
I hope they keep the same dex, but with the new (pre)evolutions. If they're not in, it's seriously going to be disappointing. :/

I also hope the Elite Four and the Gyms can be rebattled with updated teams with pokemon from gen 3 and 4.

MetalMario

< It's Passion Pink!
I'd like a Johto Dex with minimal differences. I can understand adding the new evolutions/prevos inline, but I wouldn't go beyond that. (Considering how the Johto Dex didn't technically have any numbers, this doesn't really violate anything.) You'd get your NatDex before heading to the main areas of Kanto.

dman_dustin

Hate to burst your bubble, but Ho-Oh will only be available on HeartGold, and Lugia will be exclusive to SoulSilver, just like in the originals.

Actually League is right you could get both in Gold and Silver only depending on the version depends on when you'll see said Pokemon. In Gold Ho-oh was seen much earlier than Lugia, In Silver Lugia was seen much earlier than Ho-oh. At least I think that's how it went, but yeah you could get Ho-oh and Lugia any version of 2nd gen.

Takaru

Werk, Werk, Werk

Personally, I wish the Dex would stay the same as in the original version, but updated with the evolution lines (Magby>Magmar>Magmortar, or Yanma>Yanmega, as an example.)

You get the other wing once you get to Pewter I bealive, an old man at the Poke Mart gives you it.

Dawn_Hero

Written Insanity~
I believe the Pokédex should stay the way it is. That's just another part of the G/S/C line they need to keep the same for the remakes to be truely good IMO. As long as there aren't any third/fourth gen pokémon though, I'll be happy. Just, please god, no fourth gen pokémon. Keep the dex the way it is :DD

Red1062

So Cool
I think the Dex's should stay the same but just re-locate pokemon such as Misdreavus and Houndour and stuff for different types of teams.

dman_dustin

I believe the Pokédex should stay the way it is. That's just another part of the G/S/C line they need to keep the same for the remakes to be truely good IMO. As long as there aren't any third/fourth gen pokémon though, I'll be happy. Just, please god, no fourth gen pokémon. Keep the dex the way it is.

Pretending that Newer Gen Pokemon don't exist is rather stupid in my opinion (only if because it makes the national Pokedex seem more powerful than it's supposed to be). Like I said if the Pokemon has no ties to 1st or 2nd gen Pokemon then they shouldn't be included. But Pokemon like Gliscor, Mamoswine, Azurill, Wynaut, etc should be included.

Dawn_Hero

Written Insanity~

Hate to burst your bubble, but you could get the other bird by talking to a man in Pewter City I believe =/ I think that's how I got ho-oh back in Silver hahah.

Edit:

Pretending that Newer Gen Pokemon don't exist is rather stupid in my opinion. Like I said if the Pokemon has no ties to 1st or 2nd gen Pokemon then they shouldn't be included. But Pokemon like Gliscor, Mamoswine, Azurill, Wynaut, etc should be included.

That's all fine and dandy, but if it's a true remake the dex should stay the same. I don't see where it specifically says they have to do that. Besides, there are special ways you have to get those pokémon. It'd be best in my opinion if they kept the ways to get them out of your reach until after the Elite Four. I want the full G/S experience with several things updated, yeah, but the Pokédex isn't one of them.

Last edited:

Luxray101

the regional dex should have the johto pokemon, but with the usuals thrown in like magikarp, abra, zubat, geodude, machop, etc. and their evolutionary lines.

thunderblade12

I don't see what it would hurt. If you don't want to use them then simply don't evolve your pokemon. It would add to the game, IMO. It would make several of the gym leaders and Elite 4 members tougher. Pryce was the 7th gym leader, I think he should have something with the power of Mamoswine as his main pokemon rather than Piloswine, for example.

In my opinion, the Kanto pokemon didn't only overshadow in the anime but they did in the game too.

Like Pidgey, Hoothoot was the regional bird of Johto but players had the option of taking Pidgey again instead. It just kinda feels like the game was to clustered. You couldn't even catch certain Johto pokemon until you had already beaten the Elite 4. What if I want to train a Larvitar or Sneasle and use it during the majority of the game?

Anyway, especially since the game had the player go back to Kanto after defeating the Elite 4, I don't see why they pushed the Kanto pokemon on us during Johto. The ones that are found every where are understandable, like Magikarp and Geodude, but Growlithe rather than Houndour? Pidgey stealing Hoothoot's region?

I'd love to see the pokedex handled the way it was in Platinum. Every second generation pokemon on the JohtoDex and a handful of pokemon from the other three regions added in for good measure. After defeating the Elite 4 players would get the NationalDex and travel to Kanto where they could collect the remaining Kanto critters. Something like the PokeRadar and Swarms can be added for the player to catch the Hoeen and Sinnoh pokemon, there are two regions so there would be plenty of space to put them all.

Rokroad

Hot Drops
I hope the Dex would stay the same as in the original version, but updated with the evolution. Some Pokémon, such like Houndour and Misdreavus should be catch Pre-Dex.

ElectiCrow

Do The Tevez!
I think what needs to be done is they should have SOME kanto Pokemon but not so that they're running the game. Some things i'm hope will be different. Johto had some GREAT Pokes but i totally get what your saying so they need to change. WERE IN JOHTO NOT KANTO!

Mega Typhlosion

I'd like to see the original ones in the original routes and so, but with some "surprises", like Houndour and Murkrow in Johto (I don't want to wait until Kanto to get those two).

You gotta remmeber it IS a remake, the Dex will undoubtalbly stay the same, though they might make the johto pokemon a bit more common.

The only thing I want to see is the 4th gen evolutions in the dex. Please let that happen.

Chou

Heartgold!!! <3
I think they should include evolutions from the other gens in the dex but less Kanto pokemon that don't relate to Johto pokemon and no 3th/4th gens that don't relate to Johto pokemon.

JD

I really wish you could pick a kanto starter once you get to kanto but it probabaly wont happen

Cappuccino

I really don't get all the people who are saying that cause it's a remake they should pretend all the newer pokemon don't exist. It's not the same with 10 years ago, because then they actually didn't exist. If you don't want Wynaut or Mismagius because they didn't exist back when the 2nd gen was the latest, then why should moves like Aqua Jet or Close Combat be included? It doesn't make sense. And because they did it with FRLG, it doesn't mean that it was a good idea. (plus the 4th gen is much more tied to previous gen's pokemon when it comes to evolution)