• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

HGSS PokeDex Discussion

red2000

Liger Zero!!!
^ Besides that, If they keep it the same remeber Pokemon like Houndour and Murkrow weren't available until Kanto and Sneasel and Larvitar weren't available til Mt. Silver, and It would be kind of dumb to to have high demand Pokemon like those come in so late in the game

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I think they should get rid of some of the unnecessary Kanto pokemon (stuff like Drowzee and the Nidorans) and replace them with 3rd or 4th gen evolutions tied to the pokemon that will stay in the Johto Dex. Also, I agree they should move Johto pokemon to Johto. It was annoying for me to have to wait so long to get pokemon like Houndour.

i would say they should keep about 70% of it johto pokemon, and the additional 30% to be absolutely obtainable evolutions (lickilicky, mamoswine, and maybe porygonz) and kanto pokemon

ap13095

Noobslayer
I completely agree with Cappucino - the new evolutions are a must, as are the Johto Pokémon in Kanto. I also concur with thunderblade12 - it should be modeled after Platinum, but without the order Platinum had (I didn't like have the original 151, then the other Pokémon afterwards)

~:Shadow:~

I persoanlly think that the two games must not be so saturated; at least not how they were. As stated, you wanna feel that you are actually playing a Johto-regioned Pokemon game, not Kanto. This can be done through:

1) Removing most of the Kanto Pokemons not related to Johto in any manner from the Dex
2) Making new evolutions/pre-evolutions for the Johto Pokemon, such as Miltank, etc.

I can't find any other possible way.

I persoanlly think that the two games must not be so saturated; at least not how they were. As stated, you wanna feel that you are actually playing a Johto-regioned Pokemon game, not Kanto. This can be done through:

1) Removing most of the Kanto Pokemons not related to Johto in any manner from the Dex
2) Making new evolutions/pre-evolutions for the Johto Pokemon, such as Miltank, etc.

thunderblade12

IMO:

- Leave the 100 pokemon that were introduced for the 2nd generation in the dex and have them ALL appear before the player challenges the Elite 4.

- Dump about 75% of the Kanto pokemon and just leave stuff like Magikarp, Geodude, or things related to the 2nd dgeneration like Pikachu(Pichu), Magmar(Maby), and Bellsprout(Sprout Tower). Pidgey and Ratata need to go. Random pokemon like Meowth, Drowzee and Tauros need to go.

- Add the Hoeen and Sinnoh pre-evolutions and evolutions of the Johto pokemon. Azurill, Magmortar, Yanmega, Bonsly etc.

- Add a few Hoeen and Sinnoh pokemon, but very little. Just enough to make the gym leaders and Elite 4 members teams interesting. For example, instead of Gastly, Haunter and Gengar, Morty's team can be Misdreavus, Dusclops and Gengar.

- After the player defeats the Elite 4 they should get the NationalDex which has all 493 pokemon in it. Many of the Kanto pokemon should be obtainable when they make their trip to the Kanto region. Additional Hoeen and Sinnoh pokemon can be found via swarms, PokeRadar or other special events in Johto AND Kanto.

Last edited:

Jojo-

I ♥ Psychic Types
I feel they should do this:

- Make new evolutions or pre-evolutions for some Johto Pokémon. (Miltank, Dunsparce etc.)
- Take out not needed Kanto Pokémon.
- Allow you to obtain Johto Pokémon IN Johto itself, instead of Kanto.

I don't know any more ways to improve a Johto feeling.

I think the Johto Dex should contain 249-251 Pokemon (including or excluding Mew and Celebi)

However, there are (if I counted correctly) 24 new Pokemon that conflict with the Johto Dex. These are the evolved forms of previous Kanto and Johto pokemon, such as Ambipom, the new Eevee evolutions, and Mime Jr.

If they add all 24, with the 251 Pokedex, that raises the total to 275, a solid number, then you could later go to the 'new area' that is bound to be in the game and find the remaining Pokemon.

Fire Storm

If I were to get it my way the Johto Dex would include the following:

-All Pokemon accessible pre-Elite Four from the original games

-Any 2nd gen. Pokemon that were previously only found in Kanto (not sure how that made sense in the first place...)

- [Pr]evolutions of those listed above

Also, while Pokemon not included in this list could not be found before attaining the National Dex, trainers could still have them. Not everyone in Johto originated there...

MetalMario

< It's Passion Pink!
This would make things even more boring IMO. I'd settle for just making many of the more overpowering Kantos (Rattata, Pidgey) more rare. I'd have Rattata filling Sentret's spots at night, and be only seen rarely during the day. Pidgey would be common, but only in certain areas of Johto, particularly the east. (nearby Kanto) The idea isn't to segregate the Kanto Pokémon, it's simply to draw more attention to the Johtos.

Naturally, there's probably a dozen or so Kanto lines (Chansey, Nidoran, Doduo, Mankey) who can get the axe. Keep all the Kanto bugs for the Bug Catching Contest.

Oh and Tauros is a must, since it's (almost) a counterpart to Miltank.

(lol @ Cheesetank :p) This is not the Fifth Generation, so adding new Pokémon is a no-go. Even adding new items (Apricorn Balls, Slowpoketails, etc.), which many people want, is pushing it.

Pkmnlover

I want Johto NOW!!!
I hated what they did with FRLG and not evolving Crowbat, etc. They should allow the 24 evos and pre-evos to the dex. But I doubt they will because they all require a special means of evolution. The makers can just prevent that. Dumb. I think they need more dragons and Ghosts but adding other region pokemon to the "Johto" dex seems wrong. As OMG Manbearpig brought out, a 275 dex isn't too bad. Or leave the dex the same and just give a ??? for the dex number of the evolutions until you have the national dex.

Its hard because what was the johto dex? It was mostly kanto pokemon so doesn't that make it a national dex? I think they won't change the dex too much if at all. Those in charge of the game have some tough choices.

ForeverFlame

More boring? I would think that strictly having only the first 251 Pokemon would be more boring than adding some variety.

Adding the 24 evos and pre-evos is almost a must. Most Johto Pokemon, frankly, suck competitively. And their new evolutions and pre-evolutions add a brand new edge to them. No one would ever think of adding Gligar or Yanma to their teams, but Gliscor and Yanmega can change that. And if Mantyke is available early on in the game, players may be more likely to end up having Mantine on their teams.

They can cut useless Pokemon, such as Doduo and Farfetch'd, from the Johto Pokedex to make room.

adam1990

I honestly think the Johto Dex will be completely revamped and Chikorita will start as #1. I think Magnezone, Magmorter and others will be added in order. I think preevos like Pichu, Magby, and Smoochum will be added before the basic form (unlike the original dex). I also think less pokemon will be available until the Johto Dex is complete. I predict a fresh pokedex with around 200 pokes.

Last edited:

.Bambi.

Be Wise, Tell Lies.
Naturally, there's probably a dozen or so Kanto lines (Chansey) who can get the axe.
I'm not singling you out, I've just seen a lot of people saying this so I thought something need to be said. People, Chansey cannot be cut! It's evolved form, Blissey, is a Johto Pokemon! Chansey needs to be in Johto so that Blissey can be obtainable before the Elite 4!

thunderblade12

I really can't see why people want it to be an exact copy for the old game. Yeah it's a remake but why not improve on some stuff? The 3rd and 4th generation attacks weren't in GS, should they leave them out too?

◘Ins0mnIac◘

Supreme Overlord
I think a couple Pokemon from Sinnoh/Hoenn wouldn't be objectable. I believe Glaceon/Leafeon will be available but Wailmer/Seedot/Spheal -types that haven't been available much recently would be nice.