• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

HGSS PokeDex Discussion

MetalMario

< It's Passion Pink!
I hated what they did with FRLG and not evolving Crowbat, etc.
Agreed about FR/LG being too harsh. They should've just kept all the evolution items away (which they did) and made your Pokémon's happiness plateau at 200 until facing the Elite Four, after which happiness would be uncapped and they could then evolve. (Trading non-Kantos from another FR/LG would then be permitted.) Would have worked much cleaner IMO, and I'd expect something like this for HG/SS.

I'm not singling you out, I've just seen a lot of people saying this so I thought something need to be said. People, Chansey cannot be cut! It's evolved form, Blissey, is a Johto Pokemon! Chansey needs to be in Johto so that Blissey can be obtainable before the Elite 4!
Sorry, I forgot about Blissey. Blissey and related belong.

Maru90

POCKET MEN ANYONE?
The majority should stay the same (adding a Reno ing some pokemon isn't SO bad). Just add the new prevo's and evo's that didn't 'exist' back then and the game should be fine.

PokeJosh

Fire Pokemon anyone?

If there weren't as many Kanto Pokemon in the game, then how the crap would you get any unless you started with Cyndaquil?

The first one you really ever see is Growlithe on Route 36, I believe, and that isn't until after Goldenrod! Not including the legends or starter, Slugma and Houndour (and evos) were the only fire types introduced in GSC. I think that Johto needs Kanto Pokemon more than you might think. I agree on not having AS much, and definitely have more of the rare ones earlier like Murkrow and Houndour. (Houndour was Kanto exclusive, what the heck?)

-PokeJosh

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
The first one you really ever see is Growlithe on Route 36, I believe, and that isn't until after Goldenrod! Not including the legends or starter, Slugma and Houndour (and evos) were the only fire types introduced in GSC.

I just like to correct something. Growlithe can be found on Route 36 and can be caught as early as reaching Violet City. You can reach Route 36 by going through the northwestern exit.

Dabottle

AKA Ados.
I think they should remove the crap like Pidgey, Rattatta, Caterpie (Put cool stuff like Pineco and Paras in the Bug Contest) etc. and put in the new (pre-
)evos like Azurill, Wynaut, Mantyke, Weavile, Mismagius etc. Leave some necessary stuff like fire types as we don't want a repeat of D/P (LoL).
Also allow stuff like Houndour, Murkrow and whatever else to be caught and have Kanto and Hoenn stuff in Kanto and have it so some Hoenn stuff migrated as people traded between games. Then after the league you could get say Surskit and Volbeat in the Bug Contest and Snorun in Ice path but not too many.

Bell56

The One and Only
^ I think they added a grass patch in that area in Crystal, It is definatly not there in Gold/Silver though

Khallin / Maya

I think Hoenn pokémons will add, Sinnoh too.
Because, the IV generation was added evolutions to some II generation pokémon (Gliscor, Tangrowth, and others), i think.

Assined: Maya

Miss_Pocket_Monster

The Johto Dex was the National Dex of the time anyway, so they could completely overhaul it if it were necessary to do so. That way, pre-evolutions like Bonsly and Happiny could fit in the game, and so could things like Electivire and Mamoswine. Plus, a few extra Sinnoh Pokemon couldn't hurt the Dex; I think it would make more sense to not be able to see Kanto Pokemon until after you beat the E4, when you actually go to Kanto.

I do foresee the list of Pokemon catchable in this game being much more comprehensive than FR/LG. Can't wait to see what the Dex *does* look like! ;197;

jolteonjak

*swoons for Noland*
I think they should take the idea they used in FR/LG and tweak it a bit. I agree with not being able to trade between HG/SS and D/P/Pt until a certain side quest has been completed. What I don't agree with is if a Pokemon has an evolution that was found in Hoenn or Sinnoh, it should be able to evolve...unlike FR/LG. I was so excited when my Golbat started to evolve only for it to stop!!?!?

It would give a slightly bigger Johto Dex. Plus I think you should be able to get all of the Johto pokemon in Johto. I want a Houndour for my team, and I prefer not to wait until Celadon City area to be able to catch one...

Spirit of Darkness

I want the pokedex to be very big containing all the johto pokemon with the pokemon of Kanto, Honnen and Sinnoh that are needed as evolutions and pre-evolutions.

red2000

Liger Zero!!!
Not a whole lot of Hoenn Pokemon have to do with Johto do they? so I really dont expect to see alot of them, Though a choice few I would like to see are

-Torkoal (could help with Jasmine or Pryce)
-Canea/Cacturne (Potential Karen Team Member)
-Swablu/Altaria (Kingdra being the only Native Johto Dragon, It would be nice to have a Choice)
-Spoink/Grumpig
-Duskull/Dusclops/Dusknoir (Potential Morty Cadidate)
-Corphish/Crawdaunt (I see this some where near Olivine City)

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
Quite frankly, I wouldn't use the likes of Murkrow, Aipom or Yanma if they're not going to evolve. They'll just become dead weight.
I've seen a lot of people go on about how the Johto (and Kanto) pokemon that recieved evolutions in future instalments should only be allowed to grow to a certain point pre-national pokedex, so they can 'have the spotlight', but that's just rubbish imo. There are loads of Johto pokemon I happened to be more inclinded to use because they gained the ability to evolve. Training them and having them develop to stronger forms felt a lot more rewarding, and that's always been half the fun of the main quest imo.
Besides that, there are Everstones and a B button for a reason. Chuck in the new methods and items, I say

The Johto pokemon that were pointlessly regulated to post league appearences should be up for capture of course, but relatively early in the game. For example, Murkrow would be right at home in the perpetual darkness of Ilex Forest, and Growlithe could very easily be swapped out for Houndour.

Pokemon that were generally kept off the beaten path (ie. Natu, Marill), should still be rare, but available in locations that aren't a pain to reach. Any Johto swarm pokemon should trade places with some of the Kanto guys. Dunsparce in particular could greatly benefit from this.

And lastly, pokemon like Phanpy, Teddiursa, Gligar etc. shouldn't be left thrive on what is essentially Johto's final route. Have them show up earlier in the game so people can actually use them extensively during the in-game quest.

sam_h12

WHERE IS PIDGEOT?!
I think people are forgetting that there is logic behind each regional dex.
Take Hoenn for example. Hoenn is almost tropical. It's warm. Yes, route whatever it is that comes before and after Fortree rains a lot, but it's like a rainforest. There's a huge desert in the middle. There is no ice or snow anywhere besides a small bit far away from the main land, where you can find just two ice types. Hoenn had many Pokemon that reflected warm temperatures, eg Cacnea (cactus), Seviper (...snake..), and many others.
The complete opposite would be Sinnoh, in which Cacnea, Seviper, and many others, are not present, because Sinnoh is generally cold and rubbish. I think of Sinnoh as Britain haha, hence Ponyta (horse), hence Bidoof (beaver) hence lack of fire types besides Houndour, which is a dog, and Magmar, which is found in the Iron Works, presumably imported by workers (makes sense).

Don't anyone reply with "oo but johto and kanto's pokemon are tropical as well sometims", yeah well in those days gamefreak didn't have to try so hard. And anyway, why such things as Exeggutor and Magby didn't make it to Hoenn is beyond me...

Anyway, my point is, Caterpie, Nidoran, Pidgey etc roam Johto for a logical reason - Johto and Kanto are pretty much one region. They are one island. Unlike Hoenn and Sinnoh. Heck maybe if they create a game that's linked to Johto/Hoenn it might have all the GS pokemon available! And what's wrong with them popping up all the time, it just makes it more exciting when you finally see that Aipom, or that Yanma, or whatever. I'd rather have a large variety than barely nothing just because it's "annoying".
It's even more annoying when you come onto the forums to see that everyone has Torterra, Staraptor, Floatzel, Rapidash, Luxray and Lucario.

red2000

Liger Zero!!!
Anyway, my point is, Caterpie, Nidoran, Pidgey etc roam Johto for a logical reason - Johto and Kanto are pretty much one region. They are one island. Unlike Hoenn and Sinnoh. Heck maybe if they create a game that's linked to Johto/Hoenn it might have all the GS pokemon available! And what's wrong with them popping up all the time, it just makes it more exciting when you finally see that Aipom, or that Yanma, or whatever. I'd rather have a large variety than barely nothing just because it's "annoying".
It's even more annoying when you come onto the forums to see that everyone has Torterra, Staraptor, Floatzel, Rapidash, Luxray and Lucario.

Dude I totally agree with you, replace Floatzel and Rapidash with Rampardos and Garchomp and we have the same team

and I understand what you saying, But I think the Native Johto Pokemon fit in perfectly, Everyone just wants to see them more evenly spread out, In The old Days it seemed like those Pidgey,Rattata and Nido's were more abundant then the Johto Pokemon

I mean you could always use Sentret instead of Rattata, But HootHoot was only available at night, So Pidgey won by Default, and HopHip was utterly useless Only knowing freakin Splash, I just wanna see those Johto Pokes come through More, I mean in FR/LG and even in D/P/Pt you can find a wild Raticate, There wasnt a single place in Johto where you could find a wild Furret, which is Kind of sad

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
But...Sinnoh is based off of Hokkaido.

There are no beavers in Hokkaido, no hippopotamus, ect. Yet you find them in the Pokemon world. I really don't get what you're arguring about.

Honestly besides being introduced in a Gen toghether, I don't really think you can say every Pokemon in each Gen went together. Every Regional Dex has a pretty large variety of Pokemon whose real-world counterparts would never come into contact.

sam_h12

WHERE IS PIDGEOT?!
i like how the johto pokemon are more rare. except in the case if in-game battles, eg morty only has the gastly line and chuck has only kantos. whats up with that.

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
To be fair for them though, they don't have much choice.

GSC was very unfair to some types. Fighting only got three new ones (Heracross, Tyrouge, and Hitmontop), and Ghost only got Misdreavus. :/

Same with Dragon, only getting Kingdra.

I guess back then Ghost and Dragon were still "rare" I guess.

Bell56

The One and Only
The only Johto Pokemon owned by Gym Leaders in G/S were Whitney's Miltank, Jasmine's Steelix, Pryce's Piloswine, and Clair's Kingdra. I would like to see them all have at least 2 johto pokemon (except Morty b/c there is only 1 Johto Ghost). And I agree that all the Johto guys need to be available pre E4 and it would be nice for the ones that are exclusive to that last route to be available a little sooner so we can use them through out the quest. I personally like to have a full team around the 5th or 6th gym, but this rarely happens because of the location's of certain pokemon and types.

AzureFlame24

Azure Trainer
I'm just gonna be a bold ****er and say it.
National Dex right from the bat, except you can't trade to DPPt until after the E4, so most Pokemon obviously still restricted. But no evolutions restricted. In return, turn up the difficulty. Seriously, Level ~30 at the fifth gym?
yeah they should make it harder