• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Hi, I am new to all this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone.
So, although I am not new to the world of Pokemon having watched the anime for a long time, I never got into gaming. Last week, at a yard sale, I found this awesome deal on a gameboy and along with that came this game, Pokemon FireRed. I took it and then with help of a friend, set it up. Now he suggested a few things and even helped me with my first 4 pokemons. He said he was doing what is called trading. He took my new/old gameboy and an hour later, I had 4 pokemon at initial level 5. He told me that Charmander was my starter pokemon, i think, and also through some trading with his old setup, he gave me, Bulbasaur at level 6, Squirtle at level 6 and Pidgey at level 7.
Now, he said he did that to get me into the gaming, and I am hooked. And since then I have achieved quite some things. And my current 6 look something like this:
Gyrados lvl22 - Splash, Tackle, Bite
Charmeleon lvl27 - Secret Power, Smokescreen, Ember, Metal Claw
Pidgeotto lvl21 - Aerial Ace, Sand-attack, Gust, Quick attack
Ivysaur lvl26 - Poison powder, Razor leaf, Leech seed, Bullet seed
Wartortle lvl 29 - Water Gun, Water Pulse, Bite, Withdraw
Geodude lvl21 - Dig, Magnitude, Rock Tomb, Rock Throw.

The problem is whether I should keep this team or should I change because I have some pokemon like ratatta, drowze, onix, oddish, spearow, digglett and mankey in the store. But I caught them and left them there, so they are pretty low lvl.
Can you guys please suggest me? I really dont want to go to a 13year old for advice again and again. Specially, when I am supposed to be his tutor. I really want to get myself into this and once I am proficient in this, I can get my self new GameBoy and whatever the latest game is.

Changes

Since uploading the last post, I have gone up a few notches and my current 6 are as follows:
Charizard lvl 43 - Secret Power, Flamethrower, Wing Attack, Metal Claw
Blastoise lvl 36 - Water Gun, Water Pulse, Bite, Withdraw
Lapras lvl 27 - Mist, Body Slam, Psychic (taught from TM), Hyper Beam
Gyrados lvl 30 - Mimic, Bite, Dragon Rage, (and mistakenly, deleted a move, using the deleter guy in Fuchsia)
Venusaur lvl 33 - Poison Powder, Razor Leaf, Leech Seed, Giga Drain
Pidgeot lvl 38 - Aerial Ace, Wing Attack, Fly, Quick Attack

I was thinking of replacing either Blastoise or Laprus with Dodrio(when the Doduo evolves) or improve my Growlithe. Suggestion guys, I am really trying to understand the nuances of this fine game before spending hard-earned money on new GameBoy and newer games.

Jabberjaw

You should definitely replace Lapras. You already have Blastoise and Gyarados, 3 water types are too much. Need more variation. However I do realize that Lapras is also part ice which would come in handy when you face the champion Lance... Fire, Water and Grass moves are bad against Dragon types. As are Electric.

Great Team! Charizard, Blastoise, Venusaur, Pidgeot were always favorites of mine. I love ground types so I would always have Rhydon or Sandslash on as well.

Also its a hard pokemon to get, but catching a Dratini in the safari zone and evolving it into Dragonite is something every Pokemon player must do.

((JAWS))

Johto Boy
This is a nice team your friend set you up with. These are some problems you should focus on. Charizard, Blastoise, Lapras Gyrados, and Pidgeot are all weak to electric types which destroys at least 80% of your team. Also that being said, you don't need Lapras for the elite 4 and instead you can teach Blastoise an Ice type move to handle Lance.

I think you should get rid of Lapras, Pidgeot and Gyarados and start to build a team around Blastoise, Charizard and Venusaur.

Charizard lvl 43 - Secret Power, Flamethrower, Wing Attack, Metal Claw
Blastoise lvl 36 - Water Gun, Water Pulse, Bite, Withdraw
Lapras lvl 27 - Mist, Body Slam, Psychic (taught from TM), Hyper Beam
Gyrados lvl 30 - Mimic, Bite, Dragon Rage, (and mistakenly, deleted a move, using the deleter guy in Fuchsia)
Venusaur lvl 33 - Poison Powder, Razor Leaf, Leech Seed, Giga Drain
Pidgeot lvl 38 - Aerial Ace, Wing Attack, Fly, Quick Attack

Charizard
-Steel Wing
-Flamethrower
-Aerial Ace/Wing Attack
-Dragon Claw
Charizard has more power with Steel Wing. Dragon Claw is helpful for Lance in the Elite 4.

Blastoise
-Surf/Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam
-Skull Bash
-Protect
Ice Beam is excellent for Dragon types especially in the Elite 4. Ice Beam also destroys grass types, Blastoise's weakness. Protect is just a stall move. Skull Bash is a very powerful move.

Venusaur
-Leech Seed
-Solar Beam
-Sludge Bomb
-Sleep Powder
This is nice for stalling the opponent. You can put your opponent to sleep, charge up with Solar Beam then BAM. Sludge Bomb is just taking advantage of Venusaur's poison typing.

Out of the three starters electric types can wreak havoc destroying Charizard due to his/her flying typing, and Blastoise due to his/her water typing. An easy way to fix this is to get a nice rock or ground type to cover electric types. Or both. I would evolve your old Geodude to a Graveler and follow this set.

Graveler
-Earthquake
-Explosion
-Rock Slide
-Focus Punch

This is now way more solid. Blastoise, Charizard and Venusaur protect eachother, the electricity weakness that Blastoise and Charizard share is now protected by Graveler, and Venusaur protects Graveler from water types with his grass type moves.

Ib4

Xenlon Cavalier
Seeing as you mentioned how new to this you were I'm not going to go into any competitive battling detail. I'll keep this simple because I don't know if you have some idea of what you're doing or a complete newbie at this.

Charizard, Blastoise, and Venusaur are great for any team and I recommend keeping them on there.

Venusaur- You should give this guy either a Leftovers or Miracle Seed
I recommend giving him
-Leech Seed
-Sludge Bomb
-Giga Drain
-Substitute
Basically this lets him sit there and take a lot of punishment while healing and occasionally attacking.

Charizard- Give him a Charcoal
and
-Secret Power or Earthquake
-Heat Wave
-Dragon Claw
-Fly
Charizard is meant to do damage (at least in Firered). Don't do anything fancy with him, just dominate.

Blastoise- Give him a Mystic Water or Leftovers
-Surf
-Earthquake or Ice Beam
-Toxic
-Protect
This set gives you poisoning and a way to prolong the poison (Protect). Earthquake also crushes Electric types.

Pidgeot is alright. Here's what I recommend.
Give him a Sharp Beak
-Fly
-Steel Wing
-Mirror Move
-Secret Power

I would also use an Electric type. Magneton or Zapdos preferably.

Zapdos- Give him a Magnet
-Thunderbolt
-Drill Peck or Fly
-Thunder
-Mimic
OR
Magneton- Also Magnet
-Thunderbolt
-Thunder
-Tri Attack
-Mimic

Finally I would recommend a Fighting, Psychic, Ice or Ghost type. If you still have trading ability you should use Machamp, Alakazam, or Gengar (all of whom evolve through trading).
Others you may also want to consider are Jynx, Primeape, Marowak, Muk, Articuno, Hitmonlee, Dragonite and Snorlax.

Status
Not open for further replies.