• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Hidden Ability chances from max raids (small sample)

Yknot

Дми́трий Дми́триевич
Basically a spent a few days spamming max raids and here are my results.

Max raids completed: 90
Dynamix pokemon caught with hidden ability: 5

there were a few pokemon caught with no hidden ability at all so that reduces the pool to about 85ish. I'll have to go through my collection again for exact stats.

but basically from my sample we are looking at somewhere between 5-6% chance the raid pokemon will have it's hidden ability.

So in my case I am trying to get a durant with truant.

I would need to encounter roughly on average 20 durants from max raids to get it with truant.

I found a den that does only bug pokemon including durant. I don't have exact percentages on durant encounter in the den but say durant is one in 5 chance from the den (20%) then I would need to use roughly 100 tokens to spawn a pokemon in that den to get the durant with truant which is 300,000 watts.

obviously rng is rng so it could be first try or a thousand tries in practice but just wanted to share my data.

cheers.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Have you tested if resetting a naturally spawned den (i.e. one that you don't use a wishing star for and can save before entering), allows you to reset the ability and thus try again for the hidden ability?

EmeraldArcanine

#TeamScorbunny
Have you tested if resetting a naturally spawned den (i.e. one that you don't use a wishing star for and can save before entering), allows you to reset the ability and thus try again for the hidden ability?
I'm pretty sure all dens that appear active are set in the Pokemons' abilities even through soft-reset. A Corviknight with Mirror Armor is gonna stick with that upon reset, same with how Gigantamax forms stick upon reset. So if that's the case, you can't SR an occupied den for something different.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Yeah, it sucks because I'm looking for various Pokémon with Hidden Abilities besides Gigantamax (Espurr/Meowstic, Pincurchin, Eevee, Corsola/Cursola, Scraggy/Scrafty, Frosmoth, Darmanitan). It doesn't seem feasible this time to find anything specific.

I did realize the Gyarados I got recently had Moxie though. A Poké Job asked for Pokémon with Intimidate, and I was going to submit that Gyarados as one of them until I realized it doesn't have Intimidate. I noticed it during the raid, but I didn't pay it any mind, honestly. I also have an Onix with Weak Armor and Gigalith with Sand Force.

Something to consider, by the way: perhaps the odds go up with higher star difficulty, and it may go up again with hitting particular milestones, like reaching the end credits or resolving the postgame chapter. All of these Pokémon I have come from 5-star raids. I believe they all also had the pink beam with the clouds circling it, though I'm not 100% certain on that. (Certainly, I found it odd that they'd give me a 5-star raid for Onix and not Steelix. That it has a Hidden Ability probably bumped it straight to 5-star glowing.)

snormunch15

Kinda bummed if the data serebii just posted about hidden ability chances is true. Seems like hidden abilities are restricted to 4 and 5 star raids which is a let down for my second playthrough. Also though I think the current event running doesn't just increase the gigantamax rate but also the hidden ability rate because I've caught like 5 sand veil silicobra in one and two star raids

Yknot

Дми́трий Дми́триевич
Kinda bummed if the data serebii just posted about hidden ability chances is true. Seems like hidden abilities are restricted to 4 and 5 star raids which is a let down for my second playthrough. Also though I think the current event running doesn't just increase the gigantamax rate but also the hidden ability rate because I've caught like 5 sand veil silicobra in one and two star raids

yea i hadn't seen a lot posted at the time so i just wanted to dump my data.

it looks like you are right. According to serebii durant CANNOT have its HA on a 3 star raid but if it is 5 star it has a CHANCE to have it (not sure if % HA) I don't know if purple beam affects chance of HA. the main thing is that purple beam opens up a new pool of pokemon spawns for example ditto is only from purple beam i think.

I think you can kind of tell by default dynamix level of pokemon what star it came from so I might be able to filter through and see actuall percentages from eligible raids for HA. I did get like a bunch of galvantula HA in streak of 5 star raids spawning at that den. so it may be higher if you are just farming 5 star.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
It looks like the odds are not static. I reported having three Hidden Ability Pokémon the last time I posted here; since then, the number has gone up to 14. Yesterday, I got four Pokémon in all with Hidden Abilities (Hatterene, Ditto, Galvantula, and Togekiss), but I know I did way less than 80 5-star Max Raid Battles--probably closer to 25 to 30.

I don't think I was THAT lucky. I think there was something I did that increased the odds. Either it's in-game progress or the number of Max Raid Battles I've done, because the frequency in which I get Hidden Ability Pokémon has gradually increased.

Yknot

Дми́трий Дми́триевич
It looks like the odds are not static. I reported having three Hidden Ability Pokémon the last time I posted here; since then, the number has gone up to 14. Yesterday, I got four Pokémon in all with Hidden Abilities (Hatterene, Ditto, Galvantula, and Togekiss), but I know I did way less than 80 5-star Max Raid Battles--probably closer to 25 to 30.

I don't think I was THAT lucky. I think there was something I did that increased the odds. Either it's in-game progress or the number of Max Raid Battles I've done, because the frequency in which I get Hidden Ability Pokémon has gradually increased.

that could be true that there is a mechanic which increases your chance at getting the ability, that would not be unusual for a pokemon game. however in the grand scheme of things that is a pretty small sample size for studying statistics. in probability anomalies like strings of good luck can pop up. for instance in WoW I got 4 mounts within two weeks which only have a 1% drop rate and there is a lot of raw data to back up those drop rate chances since blizzard is pretty tight lipped on all rng drop percentages.

so moral of the story miracles can happen but you might be onto something nonetheless. thank you for your insite and happy hunting <3

IceBug

It's just RNGesus choosing who and when to bless.

I reset a Frosmoth den for 4 hours straight fishing for Ice scales until I eventually got it, then turned around and got a HA Drakloak the very next raid I entered.

HeavyD

I can't comment on the chances, but I would like to comment on the raid level chance for finding a HA pokemon in certain level raod battles. Got lucky today and pulled a HA Gigantomax Butterfree from a level 3 raid.

Edit: Typo fix.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
It's just RNGesus choosing who and when to bless.

I reset a Frosmoth den for 4 hours straight fishing for Ice scales until I eventually got it, then turned around and got a HA Drakloak the very next raid I entered.
Ha, that's funny. I got HA Frosmoth from my first Frosmoth raid, and HA GMAX Hatterene in my first Hatterene raid.

DevinsCodex

I would imagine the number of stars factor into the chance for a HA, but I'm curious if anyone has captured a HA pokemon on a < 5 star raid?

Ghost94

I would imagine the number of stars factor into the chance for a HA, but I'm curious if anyone has captured a HA pokemon on a < 5 star raid?
I’ve gotten G-Max Sandaconda with his hidden ability in both a 3 star and 4 star raid.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Oh, something to tie in to this topic, as I have been collecting a bunch of Hidden Ability Pokémon, but it seems that rare dens have a higher chance of a Hidden Ability than a common den, at least based on my experiences. It appears to be about 25% to 35% with rare dens but about 10% to 20% with common dens. There's also the fact that common dens have a higher chance of a lower-star Max Raid Battle, meaning the Pokémon with Hidden Abilities have a lower chance of appearing in the first place. I attempted this with Den 10 to get Defiant Falinks. It kept spawning 3-star Throh raids (probably Sawk in the Sword Version), as well as 3-star and 4-star Pangoro and Hawlucha, neither of which yield their Hidden Abilities from this den. Overall, I expended roughly 100 Wishing Pieces before Defiant Falinks appeared (and oddly, Technician Grapploct never showed up), whereas I spent a relatively smaller amount of about 35 Wishing Pieces for Electric Terrain Pincurchin, focusing on the rare Den 56 (and using soft-resetting any time a common den spawned).

I'd also like to add that I've gotten Tinted Lens Gigantamax Butterfree on a 3-star raid and a Perish Body Cursola on a 4-star raid.

If this site says "Hidden Possible" for a Pokémon in a particular den, then there's a chance it'll have that Hidden Ability, no matter how many stars there are. For Den 45, for instance, it says "Hidden Possible" for Bisharp and Steelix, and 4-star and 5-star raids are listed. That means you can get Bisharp with Pressure or Steelix with Sheer Force from that den, even if it's a 4-star Max Raid Battle.

3 stars is the minimum I know of, but there may be an exception with event Gigantamax Pokémon. Not sure.

Last edited:

Tsukuyomi56

Sky High Knight
Got Sand Veil G-Max Sandaconda and Swift Swim G-Max Drednaw from 3-star Raids but I suspect they were part of the current Max Raid event. The only other HA Pokemon I caught (a Defiant Falinks) was from a 5-star Raid.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
ive done around 15 raids and came across 3 HA pokemon. wasnt caounting every battle as i did a slew of solo max raids that day and only decided to check the abilities today.

greelok19

okay so its time i post my findings thus far:
[as of 02012020]:
first of all i found a gigantamax milcery in a normal red randomly spawned beacon. i took a screenshot on my switch because i thought i was seeing things, but no, apparently you can find g-max raid pokemon in normal red raid beacons and not just the pink/purple ones. i found the den in the southwestern section of the main wild area in the dappled grove [right near the water where you see pangoro spawn in the overworld]. this is a HUGE deal because the raid den was 1*[one star] and normal red, and there was a gigantamax mon in it, and this is something that has not been documented on serebii or any other web service making guides.
my best guess is that the den was rng spawned to be a g-max den, but because i was only able to spawn 1* raids ATM it was forced down to the lowest that could spawn.
ok, now onto HA raid mons vs. NA raid mons. for this i have filled about three boxes full of pokemon i caught from raids both spawned by myself via wishing stones AND random rng map spawns.
1. first thing i found out was that if you are connected to wifi [this does not require an online subscription to nintendo], that raid beacons will spawn seemingly endlessly. once a raid beacon is checked and the raid completed, whether you catch the mon or not, there is an EXTREMELY high chance that other beacons will spawn. if you are doing surprise trades this spawn rate goes up to near instant.
2. second thing i found was that if you use the date change exploit [go to raid menu, invite others, go to the switch clock, change the date, go back to the still open game, exit the invite menu, then check the raid again] you can spoof the game into spawning beacons. this includes max raid beacons that are pink and purple. this method is odd, because it seems like it does not work at first. it is pretty simple, use the date exploit [you will need a wishing piece and to spawn a den yourself for this], then change the date forward by several hours or a single day at a time, look around the wild area you are in, if you see a raid beacon spawned [literally any beacon works] then go to that beacon, then complete that raid [catch the pokemon or not]. following this you will suddenly see a bare MINIMUM of 3-4 more raid beacons just spawn from nowhere in the wild area. if you use the method from #1 above via being connected to wifi when doing this the spawn rate is near instant. this was so crazy that i was running circles in the wild area because every time i cleared a newly spawned raid 1-3 more would spawn right after.
3. the third thing is, finally, a semi-decent study on HA pokemon vs. NA pokemon. i caught random den spawn pokemon all over the wild are, including in the giants gap. listed below are the pokemon and to the right of their names are the ratio of HA to NA. i do not know whether or not some mons can get HA in low level raids so mons with a "(n)-0" ratio for now have to be treated as "in progress".
so here is what i have thus far:
bounsweet: 4-0 [1 shiny]
milcery: 6-5 [1 g-max from 1* normal raid beacon]
lotad: 3-0
lapras: 4-8
wooper: 6-0
vullaby: 3-0
ralts: 5-0
pidove: 3-5
natu: 2-0
barboach: 2-[impossible to obtain]
caterpie: 2-0 [+1 g-max butterfree from time period AFTER the raid event ended]
mudbray: 1-0
nincada: 2-[impossible to obtain in any raids, transfer only]
tympole: 2-0
riolu: 3-0

chewtle: 2-0
hoothoot: 4-[impossible]
tyrogue: 1-0
applin: 3-4
magikarp: 1-0
purrloin: 1-[impossible]
impidimp: 2-0
sneasel: 1-0
budew: 3-0
elgyem: 0-1
skwovet: 1-[impossible]
cottonee: 1-0
minccino: 1-0
dwebble: 2-1
[edit-3:39am-sorry there was another box i forgot to add]

*if anyone else has been catching raid pokemon and wishes to help contribute to the ratios of all the other pokemon please feel free to copy-paste

Last edited:

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
I'm surprised nobody has datamined for this yet to determine exactly how the chances are calculated. I think it's pretty clear that the chances aren't fixed and that some other factor(s) can change the chances of encountering HA Pokemon, but I'm at a loss as to exactly what that might be.

greelok19

[edit-3:25am-02012020]
the first number in each ratio is the normal ability, the second is the hidden one. due to the raids all being level 1, most of the pokemon with an "(#)-0" ratio are not able to spawn HA in 1* raids. once spray milo with my scorbunny and his death flames i can get better results with up to 3* raids. so i will be back sometime later once that is done with another three boxed filled up.

okay so its time i post my findings thus far:
[as of 02012020]:
first of all i found a gigantamax milcery in a normal red randomly spawned beacon. i took a screenshot on my switch because i thought i was seeing things, but no, apparently you can find g-max raid pokemon in normal red raid beacons and not just the pink/purple ones. i found the den in the southwestern section of the main wild area in the dappled grove [right near the water where you see pangoro spawn in the overworld]. this is a HUGE deal because the raid den was 1*[one star] and normal red, and there was a gigantamax mon in it, and this is something that has not been documented on serebii or any other web service making guides.
my best guess is that the den was rng spawned to be a g-max den, but because i was only able to spawn 1* raids ATM it was forced down to the lowest that could spawn.
ok, now onto HA raid mons vs. NA raid mons. for this i have filled about three boxes full of pokemon i caught from raids both spawned by myself via wishing stones AND random rng map spawns.
1. first thing i found out was that if you are connected to wifi [this does not require an online subscription to nintendo], that raid beacons will spawn seemingly endlessly. once a raid beacon is checked and the raid completed, whether you catch the mon or not, there is an EXTREMELY high chance that other beacons will spawn. if you are doing surprise trades this spawn rate goes up to near instant.
2. second thing i found was that if you use the date change exploit [go to raid menu, invite others, go to the switch clock, change the date, go back to the still open game, exit the invite menu, then check the raid again] you can spoof the game into spawning beacons. this includes max raid beacons that are pink and purple. this method is odd, because it seems like it does not work at first. it is pretty simple, use the date exploit [you will need a wishing piece and to spawn a den yourself for this], then change the date forward by several hours or a single day at a time, look around the wild area you are in, if you see a raid beacon spawned [literally any beacon works] then go to that beacon, then complete that raid [catch the pokemon or not]. following this you will suddenly see a bare MINIMUM of 3-4 more raid beacons just spawn from nowhere in the wild area. if you use the method from #1 above via being connected to wifi when doing this the spawn rate is near instant. this was so crazy that i was running circles in the wild area because every time i cleared a newly spawned raid 1-3 more would spawn right after.
3. the third thing is, finally, a semi-decent study on HA pokemon vs. NA pokemon. i caught random den spawn pokemon all over the wild are, including in the giants gap. listed below are the pokemon and to the right of their names are the ratio of HA to NA. i do not know whether or not some mons can get HA in low level raids so mons with a "(n)-0" ratio for now have to be treated as "in progress".
so here is what i have thus far:
bounsweet: 4-0 [1 shiny]
milcery: 6-5 [1 g-max from 1* normal raid beacon]
lotad: 3-0
lapras: 4-8
wooper: 6-0
vullaby: 3-0
ralts: 5-0
pidove: 3-5
natu: 2-0
barboach: 2-[impossible to obtain]
caterpie: 2-0 [+1 g-max butterfree from time period AFTER the raid event ended]
mudbray: 1-0
nincada: 2-[impossible to obtain in any raids, transfer only]
tympole: 2-0
riolu: 3-0
*1 case of pokerus* - yeah, apparently i got pokerus while out collecting this data. and am currently spreading it to literally everything i can.

*if anyone else has been catching raid pokemon and wishes to help contribute to the ratios of all the other pokemon please feel free to copy-paste my ratios and add your information. specially if you have something that was supposedly impossible like finding a g-max den spawn in a means or area where it should not happen.
also, i am still filling up boxes and am keeping track of everything. so as i progress further and catch more i will make sure to add to the ratios.