• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

High Fructose Corn Syrup

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
You might have seen one of the commercials about Corn Syrup being the "nutritional equivalant" to sugar. If you haven't, watch it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVsgXPt564Q

That commercial is part of an "aggressive campaign" according to MSN, from the Corn Refiners Association to fight back against the bad reputation of High Fructose Corn Syrup.

See, there's a bit of controversy going on about High Fructose Corn Syrup. Common claims include a) that it is so inexpensive and convenient that it's used in everything, and therefore impossible to eat in moderation, and b) that it fosters diabetes and obesity more than normal corn syrup or sugar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_fructose_corn_syrup#Health_effects

What do you believe? Will you try to avoid foods with High Fructose Corn Syrup? Do you think use of High Fructose Corn Syrup in foods should be regulated? Or is this all nonsense as long as it tastes good and you eat it in moderation?

If you want to talk about the controversy over artificial sweeteners such as aspartame, that's the TheFightingPikachu's thread. http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=474075

Last edited:
well, it's useful and is used in a lot of things. But it since not a lot of people don't know how much they are taking in i considerate unhealthy no matter how useful.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
People aren't educated enough to know what it is and why it is bad (yes, it is bad if consumed too much). It is so widespread in our foods that it WILL lead to unhealthy consequences.

Should it be regulated it? I'm not sure; I think a better solution is education, honestly. We have more power than you realize.

Kn3th

Anything is bad in excess

Well depends i suppose, some things (like corn syrup or salt) are required in the manufacturing process to attain desired consistency/flavour feature

i would personally hardly think they would put it in a product without an actual purpose, cz that's just wasting company money

Regardless, take it from a food science student, food aint the enemy, laziness is :D

scizor42

Back from break
i tend to try to avoid HFCS because it hasnt been studied to the point where we actually know the full effects of it. many studies suggest it is really bad but others suggest it is the same as sugar. so it is an experimental substance.

Aquanova

The problem with HFCS ive read is that it blocks the brain recepters that tell you when you are full. This can lead to obesity on some level Ive also read it is cheaper than sucrose ( regular sugar) so it is more widely used.

The corn refiner people are petitioning the FDA tp get it labeled as " Corn Sugar" because of the nagative associations, honestly I hope they dont because, it would be misleading the public about what it really is and that is wrong. Its very hard to avoid if you want to avoid it. Honestly though, too much of any sugar is bad, but it is not a natural product.

indigohex

I heard about something like this on The Corbett Report once (I'll try to find the episode in question), and since I live in Australia, I don't know anything about high fructose corn syrup, but I try to avoid the "zero sugar" things because the subsitute (artificial sweeteners) is bad for you.

indigohex

I heard about something like this on The Corbett Report once (Episode 73 in fact), and since I live in Australia, I don't know anything about high fructose corn syrup, but I try to avoid the "zero sugar" things because the subsitute (artificial sweeteners) is bad for you as well.

Last edited:

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
Good to see you again, indigohex. Corbett Report ftw, I'll be sure to check the archives for chapter 73.

I agree with GhostAnime, education is the best regulation. Trying to control what people eat gets you nowhere - on the other hand, informing them what they're eating is essential. It would be quite a misrepresetation to label High Fructose Corn Syrup as Corn Sugar.

indigohex

Thanks SunnyC, its nice to be back.

I have found this interesting video on YouTube about High Fructose Corn Syrup and Obesity (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y0vHBTJcdk&NR=1&feature=fvwp). It's is in the related videos to the video that you posted at the start of this topic. It's interesting how HFC is linked to obesity, so I recommend this video for you to view in your own time.

Last edited:

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
I will indeed check it out. I listened to the Corbett Report 73 like you recommended, and I was shocked to hear about studies finding mercury in more than fifty percent of examples of High Fructose Corn Syrup. I searched it on Yahoo and found a recent study.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/26/AR2009012601831.html

Unless the generation of mercury is part of the HFCS process, we can't blame the contamination on HFCS itself, right? Hmm.

MugoUrth

Bibarel's adorable.
I have seen those commercials, and I can say...

It's made from corn

It's BARELY made from corn. It has been mutated beyond being recognized as corn.

It's nutritionally the same as sugar

Not only is that false, but you keep forgetting that high fructose corn syrup is in EVERYTHING that sugar is in.

It's fine in moderation

It's in EVERYTHING! Soda, Condiments, Confections, BREAD! It's barely possible to have it "in moderation."

Also, I would like to point out about FiberOne fiber bars. FiberOne fiber bars not only have High Fructose Corn Syrup in it, but it also has the much less common High MALTOSE Corn Syrup as well, and they're the first two ingredients. And they are trying to advertise FiberOne bars as HEALTHY!? The nerve of some people.

Also worth a mention are those commercials about cereal that tell you to eat this cereal (Trix/Cocoa Puffs/Lucky Charms) because it has fiber. Yes, in theory, they do, but not much. Not as much as the commercials are trying to make out. And, of coarse, they all have High-Fructose Corn Syrup.

Zenotwapal

have a drink on me
I will indeed check it out. I listened to the Corbett Report 73 like you recommended, and I was shocked to hear about studies finding mercury in more than fifty percent of examples of High Fructose Corn Syrup. I searched it on Yahoo and found a recent study.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/26/AR2009012601831.html

Unless the generation of mercury is part of the HFCS process, we can't blame the contamination on HFCS itself, right? Hmm.
You do realize that when you eat salmon, you get more mercury in that than you would in High Fructose Corn Syrup or a flu shot, right?

Anyways, Corn Syrup is really just a sweetener. Sure, its used in lots of junk food, but thats just because its easier to use and doesn't go bad as fast as a regular product with sugar goes. It's also loads cheaper.

It would be frowned upon as much if they didn't use it as much.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
I hope you aren't downplaying it, Zeno.

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
You do realize that when you eat salmon, you get more mercury in that than you would in High Fructose Corn Syrup or a flu shot, right?

No, do you have proof for that? And by that logic, did you know you can hurt someone more with a knife than a needle? Does that make either of them okay?

Anyways, Corn Syrup is really just a sweetener. Sure, its used in lots of junk food, but thats just because its easier to use and doesn't go bad as fast as a regular product with sugar goes. It's also loads cheaper.

It would be frowned upon as much if they didn't use it as much.

We're talking about the HFCS variety. And it's used in bread, peanut butter, canned pasta, sauces, seasoning, Gatorade, fruit juices, cereal, flavored oatmeal, precooked meals, shall I go on? It's not just junk food. The fact that it is so easy to use, it's a good preservative, and inexpensive, is precisely why it's used in everything. And the fifty percent chance of being contaminated with mercury is disconcerting for a good reason - added on top of eating seafood and getting thiomersol flu shots and the possibility of getting actual accidental mercury poisoning, isn't it a bit concerning how much the "average" person will be exposed to mercury on a regular basis?

Last edited:
Fighting Misinformation

Honestly though, too much of any sugar is bad, but it is not a natural product.
Is it not just corn syrup with a high concentration of fructose?

Fructose being a natural sugar (the name means "fruit sugar"), it is certainly too harsh to claim "It is not natural."

It's BARELY made from corn. It has been mutated beyond being recognized as corn.
Mutated? I'm absolutely certain that's the wrong word. But precisely what are you saying is done to make HFCS?

I hope you aren't downplaying it, Zeno.
Heh. Now things are getting good.

Why shouldn't he downplay it? You're downplaying the negative effects of marijuana!

I'm not inclined to believe HFCS is really all that bad. I haven't done very much research, but right now I felt the need to correct some gross misrepresentations.

GhostAnime

Searching for her...
TheFightingPikachu said:
Why shouldn't he downplay it? You're downplaying the negative effects of marijuana!
But I'm not arguing for the illegalization of HFCS, am I? :p

CSolarstorm

New spicy version
Is it not just corn syrup with a high concentration of fructose?

Fructose being a natural sugar (the name means "fruit sugar"), it is certainly too harsh to claim "It is not natural."

Mutated? I'm absolutely certain that's the wrong word. But precisely what are you saying is done to make HFCS?
(...)
I'm not inclined to believe HFCS is really all that bad. I haven't done very much research, but right now I felt the need to correct some gross misrepresentations.

This is strange for you, TFP - it is valid to demand proof from people because those who are taking issue with HFCS have the burden of proof. On the other hand, you're still making statements you aren't substantiating.

1. Firstly, it is corn syrup with a high concentration of fructose. But the rhetorical structure of it's name doesn't mean it's "just" something and immunize it from closer criticism.

2. HFCS has been refined three times over and warped beyond recognition of corn. MSN acknowledges this in their article about the effect to relabel it as "corn sugar". It is not natural in the same way that seaweed-mixed sandwich turkey is not natural. Not natural is an average syntax to use for describing it.

3. The reason we call HFCS mutated is because much of it literally comes from genetically modified organisms, or "GMO"s. http://www.wellnessresources.com/fr..._the_decade_monsantos_gmo_perversion_of_food/ So mutated is actually the correct word. Like any new invention, the effects of GMOs are just now being explored, and since they're so convenient a resource, there is a lot of pressure to downplay or not investigate the negative effects.

4. The inexpensive nature of it contributing to obesity, and the fifty percent chance of it being laden with mercury has yet to face rebuttal.

Heh. Now things are getting good.

Whoo, I saw that comparison coming from a mile away. Even though corn syrup is used in like half the food supply, and marijuana is not.

There should be a distinction between food and drugs. Corn syrup is a nutritionally questioned food; marijuana is a less potent drug than common seizure medications.

Last edited: