• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Highly OU Team

(When rating note that I do not use perfect IVs, so EV spreads might look odd. Also note that I DO NOT use legendaries in ANY tier, so please don't recommend using legendaries.)

The purpose of this team is to use a balanced approach. Each member of the team is an answer to many different strategies, not allowing any one Pokemon or type to destroy it. It has varied typings, as well as walls and sweepers to have great coverage offensively and defensively. Most of the sets are pretty standard...the biggest issues I have are that I have no Ice Beam or Thunderbolt/Thunder users, which I find to be a concern, although I have not struggled with it yet. (This team has laughed Gyrados's face despite not having an Electric move) I don't have a creative name for the team or anything, but here they are.

Infernape @ Focus Sash
Ability: Blaze
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 HP/252 Att/252 Spe
-Stone Edge
-U-Turn
-Close Combat
-Flare Blitz

Infernape, AKA the original fire monkey. I use him as my lead and have had great success. He scares the pants off of lead Tyranitar that aren't interested in taking a Close Combat to the face and even a Scarf T-tar is obliterated by Close Combat after the Focus Sash kicks in. Flare Blitz and Stone Edge round off the high base power moves and U-Turn does what U-Turn does, allowing the team to keep up with switch advantage as well as hitting Psychics hard. I really like infernape as a lead because when opponents see my team in the preview, they will likely throw out their weather machine right away as I don't have one. Infernape does very well against the aforementioned Tyranitar sand teams and abuses Ninetales on sun teams. Flare Blitz and Stone Edge smack sun teams where it hurts, smashing Chlorophyll sweepers and Fire types looking to pack a punch in the sun. With its versatility, Infernape serves as a great lead for the team and the Focus Sash does a great job allowing it to stay in on scarf users (which are very common leads) that plan on OHKOing by surviving and using great coverage turn the battle in my favor.

Hydreigon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Modest
EVs: 4 Def/252 SpAtt/252 Spe
-Dragon Pulse
-Fire Blast
-Surf
-Dark Pulse

Behold, Hydreigon, possibly the best Specs user I have encountered to date. With great Special Attack and coverage that makes literally EVERY Pokemon think twice about switching in, the Brutal Pokemon is truly a force to be reckoned with. I prefer Dragon Pulse to Draco Meteor purely because in my experience Draco Meteor's accuracy combined with its huge setback of -2 Special Attack has been more of a hinderance to the team than its raw base power has been a help. Fire Blast is obviously for coverage and its 120 base power, while Surf is my Heatran killing move. Some like Focus Blast instead but the accuracy just hasn't proven to be worth the power (my luck seems to be terrible with it). To my knowledge, Earth Power is banned with Dark Pulse otherwise I would run both. Sadly, I have to settle for just one and so I choose Dark Pulse, lest my team struggle greatly with Reuniclus and Jellicent. The awesome power Hydreigon brings to the team is a welcome addition and he has proven his worth time and time again.

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP/220 Def/40 SpD
-Taunt
-Scald
-Will-O-Wisp
-Recover

Ah, Jellicent, the anguish you cause opponents is pleasing to me. With an amazing dual typing, three immunities thanks to Water Absorb and a movepool that makes most defensive Pokemon red with jealousy, the ghostly jellyfish makes life difficult for anyone who faces it. It covers the weaknesses of Infernape and Hydreigon very well, allowing for easier switch ins. Its support role as a wall and burner helps the team by crippling physical sweepers and taking valuable HP from opposing walls. I would be hard pressed to remember a time I actually lost a stall war with Jellicent. Taunt stops sweepers from using Jellicent as setup bait, and Recover just makes life miserable for an opponent who thinks the jelly is about to go down, only to find it gain just over 200 HP back followed by Leftovers recovery.

Espeon @ Light Clay
Ablility: Magic Bounce
Nature: Timid
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Grass Knot
-Psychic

Espeon has absolutely torn into every team it has faced. The threat of Magic Bounce is enough to worry any status move user. Opposing Jellicent have to consider the possibility of burning or poisoning themselves when trying to status any member of my team. I don't carry a Stealth Rock user but in almost every battle I have been able to predict well enough to bounce rocks back at the opponent. The dual screens make switching and general defenses much easier. (If you though Jellicent was a pain, wait until it gets behind dual screens.) I run Psychic instead of Psyshock simply because it is less common it seems. Many opponents will switch in a physical wall to take a Psyshock only to have their Special Defense ravaged by Psychic. Grass Knot has served me well mainly because I don't have another grass move on the team. It is very situational but allows Espeon to have a way to fight back against bulky waters and Tyranitar.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP/176 Def/80 Spe
-Toxic
-Substitute
-Earthquake
-Protect

Gliscor is the absolute king of Toxic stalling, and that earns him a spot on this team. The Dream World granted Gliscor a crazy good ability and allows him to not only avoid status, but gain 1/8 HP every turn. Combined with Protect, Substitute, and great speed for a defensive Pokemon, Gliscor will be a top priority to be knocked out. As long as I can keep him out of the path of Ice Beams and Hydro Pumps other players can expect to get Toxic stalled to the stars and back. The Ground/Flying typing also allows for the avoidance of Spikes/Earthquake and gives an immunity to Thunders/Thunderbolts/Thunder Waves that would otherwise be freely fired off at my team. As mentioned though, it is vital to keep Gliscor away from using its Special Defense stat, especially against moves it is weak to. Gliscor and Espeon together make taking incoming status moves on the switch a breeze and ease prediction for the team.

Scizor @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
Nature: Adamant
Evs:252 HP/252 Att/4 SpD
-Pursuit
-Bullet Punch
-Superpower
-U-Turn

Rounding off the team is the beastly bug, Scizor. This set fits in with my team, giving much needed priority in the form of Bullet Punch. Stab U-Turn is also a huge threat for anything that doesn't resist it and is just one more thing to keep the switch momentum in my favor. Pursuit creates problems for a multitude of Pokemon that find themselves facing the metal bug. Superpower crushes opposing Steel types that might try to switch in to take Scizor's stab moves. Life Orb is the item of choice, allowing Scizor to hit with extra power without being locked into one move. I have used Choice band before, but too many Pokemon carry super effective Fire and Ground moves that force Scizor out while it is locked into a resisted move.

I have considered replacing Espeon with:

Starmie @ Choice Scarf/Specs
Ability: Natural Cure
Nature:Timid
-Trick
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam
-Thunder Wave/Rapid Spin/Recover/Surf

Starmie would be a great answer to all of the dragons, using its high base speed and Ice Beam to ruin them. Thunderbolt rounds off coverage, allowing me to hit bulky waters hard. Trick can stop a wall from walling and the last slot can go a number of different ways. Thunder Wave could be the difference, slowing down faster sweepers to pave the way for Hydreigon and Scizor to sweep. My team isn't particularly weak to entry hazards, although having Rapid Spin to remove Toxic Spikes would be helpful for Jellicent. Recover would prolong Starmies life after Trick, allowing me to keep another threat alive longer. Surf is a powerful stab move that will help revenge kill. Its ability is reminiscent of Espeon's Magic Bounce, allowing for Starmie to absorb status moves for the team. As I am writing this I am actually leaning toward Starmie...

Last edited:

PikaPalace

Random Master
Hello I have a few changes which you may want to take into consider.
All Changes will be in bold
At the current moment you have no entry hazards (Yes I know you have a Magic Bounce Espeon) Though still no reliability of hazards so I would suggest you infernape to have this set.

Infernape @ Focus Sash
Ability: Iron Fist > Blaze
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 HP/252 Att/252 Spe
-Stealth Rocks > Stone Edge
-U-Turn
-Close Combat
-Flare Blitz

With the sash you are assured to get up rocks and even a hit afterwards.

Your next pokemon is Defensive which I find weird as it can already burn pokemon and with that you can then switch into Gliscor so I would recommend changing to Sp Def if you want to keep Jellicent but even though you still have no real counter to a Mixed-Moxie Salamance.

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
Nature:Calm > Bold
EVs: 252 HP/220 SpD Def/40 Def
-Taunt
-Scald
-Will-O-Wisp
-Recover

I find this will be much helpful as this way you can take some kind of special hits.

I like this Pokemon and how you want to still even more using Sub, but sometimes and very often it will come down to Gliscor on Gliscor and at the current moment a scarfed Dragon type can put a huge whole in your team with only one counter which is your Specs Hydreigon but that will be outspeed by +1 DD Dragonite, Latias, Haxorus etc. And yes I see this Gliscor will be able to take a hit or so from most +1 Dragons and you do have a Scizor that resists dragon but it has no recovery move. But after +1 all your pokes are either 1OHKO or 2OHKO'd. With that set my only change would be.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP/176 Def/80 Spe
-Toxic
-Ice Fang > Substitute
-Earthquake
-Protect

Now last thing, your Scizor seems like a standard (Banded Scizor) but it is Life Orbed normally the Life Orb set runs Swords Dance for late game sweeps. So my suggestion is to switch the item to Choice Band or

Scizor @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
Nature: Adamant
Evs:252 HP/252 Att/4 SpD
-Swords Dance > Pursuit (Most Ghosts like Genger can be OHKO'd by a STAB Bullet Punch without any boosts)
-Bullet Punch
-Superpower
-Bug Bite > U-Turn (Gets Technician boost and also STAB + uses the boosts from SD)

This is my advice please take it into consideration, my rating 7.5/10.

Threat List:
DD Haxorus
DD Dragonite
Scarfed Latias
CM Latios
Tornadas
LO Jolteon
LO Starmie
LO Hydregion
Baton Pass Teams....

Thanks for rating! I will definitely put Stealth Rocks on Infernape and I may keep the Bold Jellicent and just flip the defensive EV investments or I may go Calm. Haven't decided yet but you are right about needing more SpD. I am looking into changing Scizor to Swords Dance or maybe even replacing him with the faster Lucario with Extremespeed as my priority, although many Ghosts would then be a problem. Either way your advice is much appreciated!

CedOmega

4570-7932-5223
Hello Slinkyzard, cool team you've got here. That said, I do see some changes that could be made to help the team become somewhat more functional.

I agree with PikaPalace about Infernape, the rest of the team would very much appreciate his running Stealth Rock, too.

Next, about Hydreigon, I would suggest running a more efficient set utilizing Choice Scarf. Hydreigon, as it is now on your team, is dreadfully being threated by unnecessary threats like, as PikaPalace mentioned, Jolteon, opposing Hydreigon, Haxorus, Tornadus, Dragonite and Starmie after SR. Also threatening is the ever prevelant Specs Latios and Alakazam, whom can outpace and OHKO about half your team after prior damage from SR. Hidden Power(Fire) variant Latios Expert Belt bluff also pose a large threat overall. The change to Hydreigon could patch this up quite nicely, allowing you to outpace and revenge/sweep the before mentioned threats. Suggested is Tmid nature with 252 Sp.Attack/ 4 Sp.Defense/ 252 Speed to allow Hydreigon's max speed to outpace Haxorus, who'd otherwise score the KO.

:635:
Hydreigon@Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
Timid nature
252 Sp.Attack/ 4 p.Defense/ 252 Speed
Draco Meteor, Dark Pulse, Earth Power/ Focus Blast/ Surf, Fire Blast/ Flamethrower

In addition to comments on Infernape's set, running Flare Blitz and Focus Sash is very contradicting. Flare Blitz, especially after Sash's activation, would KO Infernape, thus leaving your lead to be self-KO'ed insufferably. I'd suggest a Naive natured MixApe set of Close Combat, Fire Blast/Overheat, Stone Edge and Stealth Rock. U-turn over Stone Edge could suffice as well, leaving Infernape its scouting ability. However, Stone Edge is very usful in handling Volcarona, which is the only lost coverage. The spread for said set would be 252 Attack/ 4 Defense/ 252 Speed.

;392;
Infernape@Focus Sash
Trait: Blaze
Naive nature
252 Attack/ 4 Defense/ 252 Speed
Close Combat, Fire Blast/ Overheat, Stone Edge/ U-turn & Stealth Rock

Next, since your physical wall is primarily Gliscor, I suggest changing Jellicent's set to a more special bulky variant. A set of Scald, Taunt, Toxic & Recover is generally the best to run, due to its ability to inflict one of two statuses onto your opponent. That said, a spread of 252 Hp/ 40 Defense/ 220 Sp.Defense should work effectively on the team.

:593:
Jellicent@Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
Calm nature
252 Hp/ 40 Defense/ 220 Sp.Defense
Scald, Taunt, Toxic & Recover

This about sums up what I can see as being useful changes for the team. Best of luck and I hope this was of some help. :)

Thanks for the rates. They helped a lot. Changes have been made.

Jellicent will keep the same nature to absorb more physical blows but it will be heavily invested in SpD. Scizor has actually been working with the Choice set holding a Life Orb. I consistently get surprise KOs with Pursuit, so for now I'll probably keep him as is. Infernape will get Stealth Rocks and Fire Blast or Fire Punch to avoid recoil. Starmie will likely replace Espeon altogether to give me Ice Beam and Thunderbolt to keep the the Dragons at bay.