• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Highscool/Junior High Survival; You're all sharkbait

Ethan

Banned
It's probably the same case in English schools too. Usually by the time you're in highscool, or a senior at least, people don't really care. Usually highschools have a large amount of students so as opposed to middle school, no one really gossips about you or cares about who you're going out with/what you're wearing. By the time you're a junior/senior your usually doing your own thing or have your own look going on and "bullying" is virtually non existent.

Freshmen are retards though I'm sorry.

Spookz

Lumos
Where the college thread at, Ethan?
My thoughts exactly.
Where am I supposed to whine about my strange professors and sleepless nights? :p

I pretty much muddled my way through Middle School. Didn't have very many friends, didn't really care.

High School was worse the first couple of years. I still wonder how I made it through freshman year. Once I began to get a grip on life things improved. After-school activities were pretty much my salvation.

PsychedelicJellyfish

formerly R. New
Pah, the lockers at my school are barely large enough to fit a year 7 into them. Believe me, I tried it when I was in year 7.

I have been forced, for five years, to endure ridiculous behaviour from people with a mental age of about three. And this is in a grammar school (a school for the terminally clever, if you didn't know). Fortunately I'm now in sixth form and, in addition to behaviour improving a tad now that we can wear suits and feel all growed up, none of the total idiots are in any of my classes.

Bullying's still an issue. Just ask the guy who I hit round the head after he made some rather unwelcome comments about my apparently being a paedophile. Of course, as the instigator and the non-possessor of special needs, he was the only one who got in trouble ;)

I notice all you people going on about high school are saying people become more mature. Why don't English schools get such luck?

Well, you know, pretty much everything in Britland is so much better than in America, so we have to have a few things that are worse to balance things out a bit.

...What?

Ichi

swagswagswagswagswag
No one here would be able to post :(

What are you on about, half of the Misc elites are in college.

Also to stay on topic, up until senior year I never had a locker ever. My first year at one school the freshmen weren't allowed to have lockers, and when I transfered sophmore year to another school they had this weird system in order to get a locker. Plus if we did get a locker we would have had to share it with other people, because there wasn't enough space for one person per locker. It wasn't really convenient in New York when you're trying to fit 2 or 3 puffy winter jackets that were smaller than a size 0 waist length-wise. Though I had to bite the bullet in senior year when I decided to take two Advanced Placement classes, both of which required textbooks being brought on a regular basis.

Bullying wasn't ever really a problem in any school I went to. Then again, I more or less kept to myself and didn't interact with anyone that wasn't my good friend throughout middle and most of high, so I wasn't really noticeable or an open target. Senior year I managed to open up and start talking with people I normally wouldn't, and even then there wasn't an issue with bullies. In fact, a lot of the things I did that I thought I would get ridiculed for (playing DP in the middle of class) I actually ended up making friends by.

Grei

not the color
It seems like, in middle school, most kids are in that immature mindset of "oh, I'm in middle school now, I'm cool" or "Imma gonna show my place in school" or "I'm almost in high school, hooray for teenage drama! I get excitement in my life". So, there is much more drama and, surprisingly, violence in middle schools because of all of the fights and stupid shit that goes on, which little middle schoolers think is "cool".

I don't know for sure, but it could possibly be that in middle school, you're trying hard to me mature, but you're still young, so you don't know how to be mature, exactly. Which leads to the stupid drama and fights and constant swearing, because that's "what adults do."

Will-powered Spriter, I believe it's just your school (or area), not High Schools in general. I know that a great deal of people at my High School (mostly Seniors, understandably so) are generally more mature. Now, if you take a look at the Freshmen and Sophomores...

Eew. Sophomores. I thought Freshmen were annoying (which, I suppose, they are) to the average non-Freshman High School student (and to the occasional open-eyed Freshman), but Sophomores... they're the worst. They think they're so awesome because they aren't Freshmen anymore, like they can rule the schools or something. They boss Freshmen around and pretend to have all this maturity and power... they're like the middle schoolers of High School.

Last edited:

surfer treecko

Highly Explosive
There's no equilvilant to middle school in England, so which is why you get immature people in secondary.

Anyway, secondary school isn't that bad in terms of bullying or whatever. At first I expected it to be like those schools on TV, but it's nothing like it.

Ethan

Banned
What are you on about, half of the Misc elites are in college.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

...ahem.

You or someone else can make it love. I don't mind.

Bullying's still an issue. Just ask the guy who I hit round the head after he made some rather unwelcome comments about my apparently being a paedophile. Of course, as the instigator and the non-possessor of special needs, he was the only one who got in trouble

Tbh I think you should have sucked it up. People get called names. Unless you were being constantly harassed to the point of snapping or something, there was absolutely no reason to hit that person. Even more so ridiculous that you didn't get in trouble.

Ichi

swagswagswagswagswag
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

...ahem.

You or someone else can make it love. I don't mind.

Don't laugh at me you trollop.

Tbh I think you should have sucked it up. People get called names. Unless you were being constantly harassed to the point of snapping or something, there was absolutely no reason to hit that person. Even more so ridiculous that you didn't get in trouble.

More or less, this. If a few hurtful words send you that far over the edge, then you're going to end up being the next disgruntled postal worker we see on the news.

Electivirus

Not really, no.
Middle School was great for me. Cool friends, nice teachers (for the most part), plenty of field trips...I only wish it lasted longer.

High School...meh. 9th and 10th grade were alright; I mostly cruised by with nothing really happening. 11th grade was absolutely shitty. I'm not going to elaborate any further on that. 12th grade, however was pretty awesome...best year of school ever. Seriously, I had an English teacher who once came into class one day, wrote on the board "SIT DOWN AND SHUT THE HELL UP.", and that's pretty much all we did for the day. Awesome.

Also, he once called me an asshole. And then laughed about it. :D

Last edited:

PsychedelicJellyfish

formerly R. New

More or less, this. If a few hurtful words send you that far over the edge, then you're going to end up being the next disgruntled postal worker we see on the news.

I don't deny that I have anger issues. Big ones. Anger management doesn't help, I've tried it many a time. Tbf it may also have had something to do with the fact that my fuse has been shorter than ever over the past few months due to a lot of unpleasantness in my life, to the point where I flipped out yesterday after spilling tea on myself.

As for not getting in trouble, all I can say is that years of good behaviour + 'special needs' = a supply of get of jail free cards :/

Pokemon-Dratini

cutes.u.2.death >: )
Why does everyone seem to hate middle school so much?

because most of the kids are completely IMATURE : /

I absolutely hated middle school...BAD times >.> wrote about them in another thread dont ffeel like typing it again

Highschool is amazing : ] mostly anyway

Foo Fighter

Nostalgia is my pal
Um, Its middle school?

They're not SUPPOSED to be mature. Hell, real maturity really won't come into play til sometime in sopmoore college. Enjoy the poop jokes while you can.

Venomfrog

Perpetual Observer

I absolutely hated middle school...BAD times >.> wrote about them in another thread dont ffeel like typing it again

Highschool is amazing : ] mostly anyway

I concur. Middle school was a pain (though the last year was less embarrassing than the first two, only because I moved, switched schools and started liking school more). Some of the students were nice, but some were just nasty. Middle school is why I stopped liking Pokemon in Grade 5 and only get reacquainted with it in Grade 7 after the move. In my old school it was like-Yu-Gi-Oh-or-get-booed-to-death among Japanese phenomena hobbyists.

High school, though, was amazing in terms of friendliness and intellectual enthusiasm of fellow students. I got lucky by having a large school in which about three-quarters of the people were approachable. No one cared that I played Pokemon; one friend even became a greater friend because of it.

University (I am in my second month) is not as great as high school by my naive opinion. However, as a testament to high school, whenever I see a former peer and we talk my spirits raise instantly, and whenever I talk with pretty much anybody from strangers in first year to seventh-year computing science majors it is a good discussion. In middle school I could never have talked to a student above me in grade.

Of course, I know why for some high school is a meat grinder (I had some tough experiences, too). My advice is to develop an interest of the course material (sometimes the teacher can distract you from the people who look at you funny) and ignore things like social-status-obsession which could ruin your time

I started 9th grade last month, high school's not bad but not great either, probably cause I've only been there for a month. Back in my middle school was 7th-8th grade (6th grade is elementary school in my area). 7th grade was great, I had a whole bunch of girls, great clothes, great friends, and started wearing contacts (The same year I joined Serebii). 8th, hated it for the most part, people started to think they knew everything, talking about people all the time, etc.. By the time things got good it was already May and only one month was left, and I was only there for 4 out of 17 days in June, I never got to see my last day of middle school. Well here I am 4 months later. CLASS OF 2013!!!

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
TV makes high school look like ****. It's really not like it at all, thank god.

Venomfrog

Perpetual Observer
TV makes high school look like ****. It's really not like it at all, thank god.

My exact impression. Even middle school can be a highly rewarding experience. There has only been one case of a student I knew relatively well leaving any one of my schools due to bullying, and he was in Grade 12 and cited academic problems (probably caused by the bullying). All other cases were related to drugs, learning disablities for people who never got bullied or simply moving to another city.

The times when middle school got tough were when I let the jeers get to me; working hard in class and gaining respect this way turned unfriendly people to friendly peers later on, though. For students having a tough time gaining friends, play to your strengths, whether it be academics or athletics, and make friends through these media.

The times when high school got tough were when I got too absorbed in social matters. A note of wisdom: if you are 17 and your crush of two years is 17 and you find out that she is dating a 20-year-old, do anything you can to stop that crush even if it hurts. Otherwise you will struggle during a pivotal year in life: Grade 12, which if starting from as early as Grade 9 you take at least a mild interest in school, talk to people you think will be good friends and be realistic and rational in social decisions, can prove to be one of the most productive years of your early life.

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT
These were honestly the best years of my life and the easiest. Then again I wasn't a social reject or anything like that. Come to think of it my high school was pretty small. Our class had about 56 seniors. But yeah it was great fun. I even got an A+ certified computer tech and Dell Tech before I graduated. ;107;
As for middle school well that was fun too. Also the last time I could take an elective in art. :(

Vernikova

Champion
Grei said:
Eew. Sophomores. I thought Freshmen were annoying (which, I suppose, they are) to the average non-Freshman High School student (and to the occasional open-eyed Freshman), but Sophomores... they're the worst. They think they're so awesome because they aren't Freshmen anymore, like they can rule the schools or something. They boss Freshmen around and pretend to have all this maturity and power... they're like the middle schoolers of High School.

Very true. Though this year's Freshman intake forced the school to create a new lunch period and they're running around the school.

Middle School was pretty fun. I was friends with the nerds, the bullies, the girls, the guys, and my teachers liked my attitude even though my worked ethic sucked. Thank you standardized tests. One of my friends used to bully the some kids about playing the Yu-Gi-Oh! TCG and would run up to them, take their cards, and throw them up in the air. All while saying “Run your Yugi Moto's!”. Hilarious.

High School is awesome. I'm a Junior and I look at things so differently now than I did last year. My school has over 5000 students so it's kind of hard to find some of your friends at times but you'll see about 10, at least, during breaks and such. It's just pretty good though the amount of bullying of Freshmen from Sophomores is disgusting.

PartyPokemon

L or Kira?
I don't deny that I have anger issues. Big ones. Anger management doesn't help, I've tried it many a time. Tbf it may also have had something to do with the fact that my fuse has been shorter than ever over the past few months due to a lot of unpleasantness in my life, to the point where I flipped out yesterday after spilling tea on myself.
Dude, just chill out. Nothing that could possibly realistically happen to you in such situations it that big. No one's gonna die, especially not you. So chill out, smoke more, etc.
As for not getting in trouble, all I can say is that years of good behaviour + 'special needs' = a supply of get of jail free cards :/
Using special needs to your advantage=not cool, man :/
Responses in bold, man.

Shadow Lucario

Lone Vanguard
Middle schoolwas great for me...until I moved. I went from a great school where I had many good friends to a school where I knew no one. I had to get used to wearing a uniform. Funny thing is, when I was a Freshman they figured out that you didn't have to wear a uniform. The first middle school I attended was great. The classes were fun, the teachers were nice, I knew a girl that liked me, (of course she didn't tell me. One of her friends had to which is usually the case with girls.) and I started to talk to more people.

When I moved everything changed. The students were radically different, the teachers couldn't teach, and I had to make new friends. Of course making new friends is natural to me as I can find something I have in common with most anyone. Going through eighth grade at that same school was more or less the same. I hung out with the same people, the teachers still couldn't teach, and the students thought they were tough, but never proved it.

When I went to high school everything changed again. In my Freshman year I broke away from the people I hung out with in middle school and started to talk to more people while still talking to them. Girls still didn't tell me they liked me. I only learned about their infatuation until they got over it from their friends.

Sophmore year was pretty much the same. I met some new people though and I learned to just talk to a random person in one of my classes.

My Junior year just started and I'm liking it so far. I've met new people, am keeping in touch with people I met last year and before then, and I have some cool teachers. My mythology teacher actually called a goddess a ho for sho XD It was hilarious.