• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Higurashi

matt0044

Anyone got their copy yet? Don't spoil anything I just want to know if it's out.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Got mine this Saturday instead of Halloween like I hoped (for some reason, the post office changed some policy which is why I didn't get my book on the 29th like the last two pre-orders). I went ahead to read it today and just now finished.

It's really getting good, I really was not disappointed. I haven't touched the sound novels for a while so I can't exactly make comparisons (except we see what happens to Rika's mother--we don't get anything in the sound novel), it explains things a lot better than the anime did (no surprise there). It really goes in depth about all that has happened, and the psyches of the characters. We actually get backstory of Ooishi and Hanyuu (that I was surprised about, I thought that was explained in the Dice-Killing arc according to the OVA--but I shouldn't have taken that into account...), and those were a joy to read.

You know... Higurashi really hits home for me, especially when it comes to Keiichi. In Massacre arc, we learn that we should really do all that it takes to get help or at least change fate around by using will and support from people to do it. It continues to come into play here, and it still hits hard. I've been having issues lately when it comes to school and all that, and I worry about how it's been affecting me on the level of psychosis. I worry that my mind will just snap and who-knows-what I'll do. I don't get freak outs, but if I feel like my brain's overloading over something (like I get too obsessed/anxious over something especially school-related), I just shut down and wait for all of my emotions to drain out so I can calm down and breathe easier. I'm like Keiichi in a way when it comes to abstract thought or whatnot. He probably handles it better than I do, but there are things he gets confused over and yet excels at it depending on the question much like I do.

I think that's why I started bawling that one time when I watched episode 10 of Curse Killing when I was in particular having an awful day and was just overloaded with work and stress over my grades. I knew exactly what he was going through, and I really connected with him. While I thankfully haven't plotted out to kill anyone (and pray that it never happens), just having him going over his life as he's digging that hole was enough to get me to understand him. And that's probably why Higurashi speaks to me on a lot of levels, and that I do feel much better when I get anywhere near the story and characters. It being a way to fantasize killing someone is not one of them, I swear, the story makes it perfectly clear murder is still wrong.

There's a lot I really like about this particular volume, I can't choose my favorite part. (Okay, the faces are awesome to look at 83. All of the crazies, especially Takano's crazy faces.) The ending got me, I really do not remember that frightening tidbit at all. Hell, I don't even think the anime had that wham of a moment.

So... now I have to wait until January for the next volume. I should pre-order here soon, especially since it doesn't look like the price is going to drop any further. To think that Higurashi will be fully translated by April of next year, unless they're also going to translate Dice-Killing since it's only one volume. It's both exciting and a bit sad at the same time. But on the plus side of things, it'd give me leeway to focus on Umineko right afterwards. Should be twice the fun.

matt0044

Finished the volume. I never thought I'd love Irie as much as I would've years ago with Volume 1. Heck, Keiichi's dad has more depth than I'd originally thought.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Finished the volume. I never thought I'd love Irie as much as I would've years ago with Volume 1. Heck, Keiichi's dad has more depth than I'd originally thought.

Irie's been wonderful. We first get to meet him in Curse Killing, and he's not much--he's the doctor, the coach of the baseball team (he was hinted at in Demoned Away), and he has a thing with Satoko in a maid outfit. That was his character for a while. He developed a little bit more come Massacre arc, but as Festival Accompanying is the arc to answer all arcs, he finally got to shine, and everything about him is basically revealed, and he gains more respect. Technically, it's a bit late, but hey, even Akasaka has gotten a bit more character development here much like Ooishi, so it works to their advantage.

Festival Accompanying is really good, it just takes a while to get into it (the anime was like this the most for me, I've only seen the ending like two or three times, and I've pretty much rewatched nearly every arc). That's probably why I'm glad they went with the decision to put two volumes together from Massacre-up. Helps us get through the story faster.