• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Higurashi

Moonlight Amaryllis

♪smoke and mirrors♪
Yes, it takes place in the future, about twenty years after the Great Hinamizawa Disaster. It's an alternative ending to the Atonement arc as an epilogue, but it's part of the question arcs for the manga, albeit as a side-story. It's an interesting arc that is a bit different from other arcs. Beyond Midnight is more of a ghost story than anything else, but it's beautiful. It was eventually incorporated into the DS port, Higurashi Kizuna, as part of the answer arcs.

You should check it out. It actually has some meaning to the series in a way, even if majority of it is never brought up in mainstream.

I see now. I recall reading something like that on the back. I'd love to have the DS import, but I'd need it translated, and I don't know where I can import things in the first place; Hau-au-au...

BUt what do you mean by, the majority of things aren't brought up? Are you saying something was brought up that I missed?

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I see now. I recall reading something like that on the back. I'd love to have the DS import, but I'd need it translated, and I don't know where I can import things in the first place; Hau-au-au...

Same here, but I doubt it's going to get translated and brought to the States because no one has the license to Higurashi here outside of Yen Press translating the manga. It's been a good few years since its release. And now with the release of the 3DS... It's just like with Matsuri for the PS2, it's not going to happen.

BUt what do you mean by, the majority of things aren't brought up? Are you saying something was brought up that I missed?

No, not exactly, but there's things like heirlooms to the Sonozaki family that's never mentioned in the main Higurashi story, yakuza mutiny or something like that (Akane Sonozaki died from gunshot wounds in this story from someone in the Sonozaki yakuza), and about one or two more things. It makes more sense when you read the manga (about the second time through), and when you look at the other arcs.

It's still a good story, so it shouldn't be passed up (next to the fact it's listed as books nine and ten in the series). Whether it actually is important to the Higurashi storyline, however, depends on your interpretation, especially with the knowledge that there are different worlds that have ended tragically, and Beyond Midnight just happens to be one of them. Which also makes it interesting how it's placed under the questions arc before we come to that conclusion (if one was reading the manga and was their first time into Higurashi).

ForeverFlame

Beyond Midnight was amazing. When I first read it I wasn't expecting much because it wasn't based on any of R07's material, but I was pleasantly surprised. The plot twists had my jaw dropping throughout the entire second volume. The first volume of Beyond Midnight has the questions, and the second volume has the answers. There is no answer arc because everything is solved by the end (there's some loose plot strings involving Mion, however, that gives you hints for the Eye Opening arc).

As for Higanbana, it was definitely the rape that turned me off. It made me physically ill so I just dropped the manga and never looked back. I also despised the art and didn't like the supernatural aspects. The best part about Higurashi/Umineko is that, in both cases, the mysteries can be explained scientifically (Umineko's mystery is very convoluted, but we are given solutions to it eventually in Episodes 7 and 8).

Last edited:

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Beyond Midnight was amazing. When I first read it I wasn't expecting much because it wasn't based on any of R07's material, but I was pleasantly surprised. The plot twists had my jaw dropping throughout the entire second volume. The first volume of Beyond Midnight has the questions, and the second volume has the answers. There is no answer arc because everything is solved by the end (there's some loose plot strings involving Mion, however, that gives you hints for the Eye Opening arc).

Agreed. I mean, the plot twist was right there in your face, but considering this is Hinamizawa we're talking about, I didn't think much of it until the end where I went, "Duh, of course!" There are still some things that I don't get, but I've always waived it off because, well, it's another world that happened after the end. I don't know which came first, the DS port of this arc, or the manga.

As for Higanbana, it was definitely the rape that turned me off. It made me physically ill so I just dropped the manga and never looked back. I also despised the art and didn't like the supernatural aspects.

Yeah, the rape was overdone, but the rapist got his rather satisfying comeuppance by the end. And the art just tries too hard. I don't know what was with the artist (I actually won't be surprised if that was the mangaka's first time doing a manga). I don't know if that artist will remain the artist of the series, or if he's doing it like with Higurashi where different artists are used for different scenarios or something.

The best part about Higurashi/Umineko is that, in both cases, the mysteries can be explained scientifically (Umineko's mystery is very convoluted, but we are given solutions to it eventually in Episodes 7 and 8).

Oh yes, that's what makes it great. Ryukishi07 did his homework while making Higurashi. He even asked his father (think he mentioned what his father's career was, but I can't think of it at the moment) how much gasoline would be needed to blow up a small schoolhouse. Of course, there's some supernatural involved, but I think that's just what we're led to believe until the very end. Though of course, the horror all comes from the psychological side of it, and doesn't rely on the gore to get its scares out, which is what people tend to think is horror these days. So Higurashi is rather fresh for its genre, in that aspect.

I'm curious as to why it is Mangagamer couldn't get the rights to the original music in the sound novel. They're official translators, right? They had to get the rights to translate Higurashi, so why couldn't they get the rights to the music? I love the original music used in the sound novels, it's really effective.

Also, I just found out the first volume of Umineko: Episode I is officially being released at the end of the month, as released through Amazon. And the anime is officially licensed, and will be locally distributed sometime in December UNCENSORED. Yes, you read that right.

And the fandom rejoices. (Or at least Ninja Bulbasaur will rejoice.)

Moonlight Amaryllis

♪smoke and mirrors♪
No, not exactly, but there's things like heirlooms to the Sonozaki family that's never mentioned in the main Higurashi story, yakuza mutiny or something like that (Akane Sonozaki died from gunshot wounds in this story from someone in the Sonozaki yakuza), and about one or two more things. It makes more sense when you read the manga (about the second time through), and when you look at the other arcs.

It's still a good story, so it shouldn't be passed up (next to the fact it's listed as books nine and ten in the series). Whether it actually is important to the Higurashi storyline, however, depends on your interpretation, especially with the knowledge that there are different worlds that have ended tragically, and Beyond Midnight just happens to be one of them. Which also makes it interesting how it's placed under the questions arc before we come to that conclusion (if one was reading the manga and was their first time into Higurashi).

I'm wondering how Ryukishi came up with it. It was probably originally a scrap from one of his early ideas that he brought back to life by making connections with his current storyline. Or at least that's what I think.

As for Higanbana, it was definitely the rape that turned me off. It made me physically ill so I just dropped the manga and never looked back. I also despised the art and didn't like the supernatural aspects. The best part about Higurashi/Umineko is that, in both cases, the mysteries can be explained scientifically (Umineko's mystery is very convoluted, but we are given solutions to it eventually in Episodes 7 and 8).

Higanbana is still pretty new, and from the sound of things, you haven't delved all that deeply just yet. I've read what I manage to find when it first came out, and hell, I found it very interesting. True, the supernatural is obvious and the rape is all too grody for words, but I personally think Ryukishi07 was trying something new. Besides, he will probably come up with something to counter the demons and mysteries with science, then end it all with a cliffhanger that will have us falling downwards off the ledge. Higurashi proves to be, well, provable through science, but how can you describe
Rika returning from the dead and coming back through different worlds, not to mention the ghost Hanyuu?
There is just as much supernatural unexplainities in Umineko; the witches, the magic, all true, despite Battler's attempt to declare it false. Higanbana will most positively develop a plot twist to prove the mysteries all science and fact.

I'm curious as to why it is Mangagamer couldn't get the rights to the original music in the sound novel. They're official translators, right? They had to get the rights to translate Higurashi, so why couldn't they get the rights to the music? I love the original music used in the sound novels, it's really effective.

Also, I just found out the first volume of Umineko: Episode I is officially being released at the end of the month, as released through Amazon. And the anime is officially licensed, and will be locally distributed sometime in December UNCENSORED. Yes, you read that right.

And the fandom rejoices. (Or at least Ninja Bulbasaur will rejoice.)
I cannot fathom myself why the music cannot be "translated" so to speak. The music plays an important part in setting the mood. Why are we robbed of the proper vibes we're supposed to recieve?

Why must only Ninja rejoice for this happy occasion? I myself am thrilled to discover that it's all being brought to America. What a jolly Christmas it will be. ifmymomdoesn'tstopus

Last edited:

Ninja Bulbasaur

matt0044

After seeing a lot of Phelous reviews where the movies he sees are filled with unlikable assholes for characters, I wish there were more horror movies that did what Higurashi does and make us like the characters so when they are killed, we actually give a crap. I get that these kinds of people exists but main characters who we can like is a good thing for storytelling.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I'm wondering how Ryukishi came up with it. It was probably originally a scrap from one of his early ideas that he brought back to life by making connections with his current storyline. Or at least that's what I think.

It's either his original idea, or someone else wrote it. I'm not sure either, especially since there are other arcs out there, like the Exorcism arc, the Canal-Drying arc (which is believed to be the true ending), Rotation (or is it Musical Chairs?) arc, and a few others. Most of them are "re-tellings" of other arcs, since we do know that every world has similar elements, but they all end in different ways.

Why must only Ninja rejoice for this happy occasion? I myself am thrilled to discover that it's all being brought to America. What a jolly Christmas it will be. ifmymomdoesn'tstopus

xD Forgot... sorta.

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOM-*passes out*

*takes body underground*

After seeing a lot of Phelous reviews where the movies he sees are filled with unlikable assholes for characters, I wish there were more horror movies that did what Higurashi does and make us like the characters so when they are killed, we actually give a crap. I get that these kinds of people exists but main characters who we can like is a good thing for storytelling.

Eh, I don't know why it is some of these screen-writings get approved of. B-list movies get away with this more than A-list movies.

My brother and I watched Curse Killing and Time Killing ("Wasting" in the dub) arcs today. He took them pretty well, though I think he did get ill at the end of the Curse Killing arc. Can't blame him. He has some interesting theories on why the curse happened in each arc, and why the characters die. He believes that Keiichi died in Demoned Away arc because he was getting too close to the truth, so he was killed. (Well, we all know what happened truly, but newcomers don't know that.) While this theory doesn't extend to the other arcs, and he had a few different ones for the others, I thought that was the most interesting theory. I warned him about Eye-Opening arc (which I guess was a bad idea...), so he's getting second thoughts now XD. But it's too late. He's crossed the point of no return, now that he has all the questions, and all that's left are the answers. He can't help himself now but to find out what happens next--or to be more precise: what really happened.

*cackles*

Ninja Bulbasaur

*takes body underground*

*sits up* I'M OKAY, I'M OKAY!!!!

My brother and I watched Curse Killing and Time Killing ("Wasting" in the dub) arcs today. He took them pretty well, though I think he did get ill at the end of the Curse Killing arc. Can't blame him. He has some interesting theories on why the curse happened in each arc, and why the characters die. He believes that Keiichi died in Demoned Away arc because he was getting too close to the truth, so he was killed. (Well, we all know what happened truly, but newcomers don't know that.) While this theory doesn't extend to the other arcs, and he had a few different ones for the others, I thought that was the most interesting theory. I warned him about Eye-Opening arc (which I guess was a bad idea...), so he's getting second thoughts now XD. But it's too late. He's crossed the point of no return, now that he has all the questions, and all that's left are the answers. He can't help himself now but to find out what happens next--or to be more precise: what really happened.

*cackles*

Cool. What was the other theories? Just curious.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
*sits up* I'M OKAY, I'M OKAY!!!!

*throws in prison cell* Don't get too comfortable. >8D

Cool. What was the other theories? Just curious.

Ahh, I can't really remember. One I do remember somewhat is he thinks that Keiichi makes wishes, and every time he does, people die, when that was only for one arc. Of course, this was something I actually thought of when I first saw the series, at least with Curse Killing arc. I actually thought he was the curse himself.

I wonder if Yen Press is going to combine two volumes for Festival Accompanying into one volume like they did with Massacre arc. Also makes me wonder why they did this, but I think it's to get to the answer/action faster, like I mentioned on the first page. Still, it was a surprise to have it be twice as big as I thought it'd be. I actually had to look up the chapters online to make sure I didn't make a mistake with my purchase XD.

ForeverFlame

how can you describe
Rika returning from the dead and coming back through different worlds, not to mention the ghost Hanyuu?
There is just as much supernatural unexplainities in Umineko; the witches, the magic, all true, despite Battler's attempt to declare it false. Higanbana will most positively develop a plot twist to prove the mysteries all science and fact.

Well, even though Higurashi did have supernatural elements it only served to help the reader discover the truth behind the mystery. Umineko is similar, except
it's even less supernatural. In the end the entire thing was a series of books written by an amnesiac Battler trying to remember the truth of what happened on Rokkenjima, so all of the supernatural elements were a figment of Battler's imagination. Unlike Higurashi, Umineko didn't have any Groundhog Day rewinds. Only one Rokkenjima disaster actually happened, and it was the one in Episode 3/Episode 7/Episode 8 where Eva (and also Battler, since he's the one narrating all of this) survived at the end.

Ninja Bulbasaur

*throws in prison cell* Don't get too comfortable. >8D

NOOOOOO!!!!

Ahh, I can't really remember. One I do remember somewhat is he thinks that Keiichi makes wishes, and every time he does, people die, when that was only for one arc. Of course, this was something I actually thought of when I first saw the series, at least with Curse Killing arc. I actually thought he was the curse himself.

I wonder if Yen Press is going to combine two volumes for Festival Accompanying into one volume like they did with Massacre arc. Also makes me wonder why they did this, but I think it's to get to the answer/action faster, like I mentioned on the first page. Still, it was a surprise to have it be twice as big as I thought it'd be. I actually had to look up the chapters online to make sure I didn't make a mistake with my purchase XD.

Isn't the Festival Accompanying Arc the finale? In the series, anyways. Not in OVAs. I think this one has to do with Takano's past, but I can't be sure. But I remember some Miyo Takano, a lot.

Well, even though Higurashi did have supernatural elements it only served to help the reader discover the truth behind the mystery. Umineko is similar, except
it's even less supernatural. In the end the entire thing was a series of books written by an amnesiac Battler trying to remember the truth of what happened on Rokkenjima, so all of the supernatural elements were a figment of Battler's imagination. Unlike Higurashi, Umineko didn't have any Groundhog Day rewinds. Only one Rokkenjima disaster actually happened, and it was the one in Episode 3/Episode 7/Episode 8 where Eva (and also Battler, since he's the one narrating all of this) survived at the end.
I thought Umineko was
more supernatural than Higurashi because it dealt with witches and such. Maybe that's just another alternate universe. AW SON OF A CENSORED!!!! I NEED TO READ THAT!!!!!

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
NOOOOOO!!!!

*evil laugh*

Isn't the Festival Accompanying Arc the finale? In the series, anyways. Not in OVAs. I think this one has to do with Takano's past, but I can't be sure. But I remember some Miyo Takano, a lot.

Yup, it's the finale. Though if you wanted to go include Matsuri, then Canal Drying Arc is considered by some people to be a more suitable end. I'm not going to give details here. If you wish to look it up, go ahead. Just be warned that you might not be happy with what you find out.

My brother watched Eye-Opening arc over the weekend and lived. He is an awesome kid, and he looks forward to the rest of Higurashi, though he's not that pleased he'll have to resort to reading subtitles for the second season, as much as I've tried to explain it to him.

matt0044

I still can't believe how Higurashi can be like Yu-Gi-Oh in terms of friendship after Rena's speech in the Massacre Arc about how she (subconciously) learned from her mistakes in the Atonement Arc. Hell, in that arc, I still can't believe Keiichi and co. when confronting Rena in the act.

I still can't believe how Higurashi can be like Yu-Gi-Oh in terms of friendship after Rena's speech in the Massacre Arc about how she (subconciously) learned from her mistakes in the Atonement Arc. Hell, in that arc, I still can't believe Keiichi and co. when confronting Rena in the act.

Higurashi is one of my favorite animes for that exact reason. It found a way to profoundly mix such a dark storyline with such a sweet theme. It mimics real life very well in an odd way, because there is light within the dark and dark withing the light, with one not always contrasting the other.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."

Um... the 4KIDS dub of Yu-Gi-Oh heavily emphasized on friendship than the original did (though it still exists). 4KIDS was just really bad about it.

I don't see it this way in Higurashi, because that is intentionally one of its main themes outside of the fact you can change fate through sheer will. The reason why the tragedies were happening in the first place is because they weren't opening up to each other where their families failed. There's a good point about Rena mentioning how she went to Mion about her thoughts, because she trusted her. If Rena didn't, the Atonement arc would've happened again, albeit possibly slightly different. She decided to choose a safer future for herself, and thus, she didn't commit murder for that particular world.

*light bulb*

Le gasp! I just came to the realization that the Curse Killing arc happened because Rena didn't take it into her own hands! Rina was tortured by the Sonozakis, which is why Teppei came back to Hinamizawa! And of course, the Curse Killing arc happened because Keiichi tried to take it into his own hands instead of fighting against the government!

Sweetness!

Kimchu

Onward!
*light bulb*

Le gasp! I just came to the realization that the Curse Killing arc happened because Rena didn't take it into her own hands! Rina was tortured by the Sonozakis, which is why Teppei came back to Hinamizawa! And of course, the Curse Killing arc happened because Keiichi tried to take it into his own hands instead of fighting against the government!

Sweetness!

Oh wow, that's pretty cool!

....But wait, in the worlds where Rena doesn't take any action, why didn't Teppei show up during the Demoned Away, Cotton Drifting, and Eye Opening chapters then? Unless...O_O

Renaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

Last edited:

matt0044

Um... the 4KIDS dub of Yu-Gi-Oh heavily emphasized on friendship than the original did (though it still exists). 4KIDS was just really bad about it.

I don't see it this way in Higurashi, because that is intentionally one of its main themes outside of the fact you can change fate through sheer will. The reason why the tragedies were happening in the first place is because they weren't opening up to each other where their families failed.

Maybe not to that extend but it's still amazing how the light and the dark blend together.

Ninja Bulbasaur

*light bulb*

Sweetness!

Wait...I think you just lost me there. >_<

Moonlight Amaryllis

♪smoke and mirrors♪
*light bulb*

Sweetness!

Are you trying to say that Rena HAS to be THE one to take matters in her own hands, and Keiichi can't because...reasons? Because, if Rena HAD taken matters in her own hands...*thinks* I think it still would've ended up the same way. Besides, the tragedy to unavoidable, and it takes a miracle to fight it or a different world.