• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

hilarious rival/character/pokemon names

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I named Silver It before.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I can't really remember any funny names I gave my rival, but I used to name them Melissa (after my sister)... even if they were a boy. Ironically, when Ruby and Sapphire came around, I chose to play as a boy named... Sabrina. May got called Melissa, so at least it did finally fit.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Can you still name your rival swear words or does the censor also apply to human names?

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Can you still name your rival swear words or does the censor also apply to human names?

You haven't been able to name your rival since B2/W2, I think. Not sure about LGPE.

pikapika200

princess
Wait,how did your rival May suddenly get called Melissa in ruby and sapphire? It's impossible to name your rival in those games. The censor does apply to human names as well. In platinum randomized,I named Barry Pony and his mom asked "Is my little Pony here?" You can name your rival in pokemon let's go. Thinknoodles named his rival in let's go Dan.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Wait,how did your rival May suddenly get called Melissa in ruby and sapphire? It's impossible to name your rival in those games. The censor does apply to human names as well. In platinum randomized,I named Barry Pony and his mom asked "Is my little Pony here?" You can name your rival in pokemon let's go. Thinknoodles named his rival in let's go Dan.

I meant the original Ruby and Sapphire, not the remakes.

pikapika200

princess
I meant the original Ruby and Sapphire, not the remakes.
If i meant the remakes, I would have said Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. You can't name your rival in the original ruby and sapphire. I know because bulbapedia told me and Nero didn't name his rival in his ruby playthrough.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I named my Pokémon some hilarious names. My favorites are Mia Fearow, Xerox the Ditto, Missing Keys the Klefki, Chatty Cathy the Chatot, F. (for Furious) George the Mankey/Primape, Pincushion the Cacnea, And Ignorance the Blissey.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I named my Pokémon some hilarious names. My favorites are Mia Fearow, Xerox the Ditto, Missing Keys the Klefki, Chatty Cathy the Chatot, F. (for Furious) George the Mankey/Primape, Pincushion the Cacnea, And Ignorance the Blissey.

This thread is for funny rival names, not Pokémon nicknames.

Back when I first played Gold, I didnt realize I could call Silver whatever I wanted so I named him what I saw... ???

Because you didn't want to lie to the police and get arrested by Officer Jenny for lying to the authorities? ;)

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
Is it considered hilarious if I name my Pokémon after cities? Toronto, New York, London...

Orphalesion

In my first playthrough of Pokemon Blue as a very young child I named my character Vulpix and the rival "Koffing" because back then Vulpix and Ninetales were my favourite Pokemon and I thought Koffing was ugly. That has changed I still like Vulpix/Ninetales, but by now I quite like Koffing as well.

I also thougth Silver was a girl and gave him a girls name, though I don't know anymore what that was...

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I once saw a Tepig on the GTS called Walter White. (This was in Omega Ruby.) I don't think it was traded to me, though. XD

Last edited: