• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Hilary Duff -Think B4 you speak campaign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KetchupO

tωisted
For the first time since the Advertising Council was founded in 1942, the organization — which directs and coordinates public service campaigns on behalf of Madison Avenue and the media industry — is introducing ads meant to tackle a social issue of concern to gays and lesbians.

The campaign, which is scheduled to be announced by the council in Washington on Wednesday, will seek to discourage bullying and harassment of teenagers who are gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender.

The campaign, created pro bono by the New York office of Arnold Worldwide, urges an end to using derogatory language, particularly labeling anything deemed negative or unpleasant as “so gay.” That is underlined by the theme of the campaign: “When you say, ‘That’s so gay,’ do you realize what you say? Knock it off.”

There will be television and radio commercials, print and outdoor ads and a special Web site devoted to the campaign (thinkb4youspeak.com). Some spots feature celebrities, the young actress Hilary Duff and the comedian Wanda Sykes, delivering the message.

See Ad Here

[STOP SPAMMING]

Last edited:

pkmnhippy

Banned
Well they stole Gay! it means Happy, and Queer means weird, so it's fair to change the meaning :P
I don't hate gays or anything, gay is sounds better as a swear or whatever you call it than a another word for Homosexual.

I'm still going to use it.

KetchupO

tωisted
Well they stole Gay! it means Happy, and Queer means weird, so it's fair to change the meaning :p
I don't hate gays or anything, gay is sounds better as a swear or whatever you call it than a another word for Homosexual.

I'm still going to use it.
:S
Ignorant much?
Language evolves.
Saying something is 'gay' not only makes no sense, but it also gives the idea that being 'gay' is bad.

Last edited:

Freya

Noam Chompsky
No, it's not used as making fun of Gays, it's used as another word for crap, well where I come from at least.

I think hes referring to you saying that homosexuals "stole" the words queer and gay.

Seems like gays need to HARDEN THE FU(K UP.

So many things come to mind, so I will assume you mean that they toughen up.*cough*

KetchupO

tωisted
No, it's not used as making fun of Gays, it's used as another word for crap, well where I come from at least.
I'm not even going to bother speaking with someone so clueless & disrespectful.

Seems like gays need to HARDEN THE FU(K UP.
The campaign is aimed at teens -__-
Does EMOTIONAL INSTABILITY come to mind?
This term is used more by younger people, especially in schools. It's understandable that it would have a negative affect on gay/bi kids. And it's even more understandable that it can spread homophobia because children are easily influenced by the things they see and hear around them.

pkmnhippy

Banned
No first part was a joke (a bad one too) and then I was serious, so it's really mixed.

I need to think b4 I type LOL.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
If it weren't for the fact that I have morals, the fact that Hillary Duff is involved would have made me lose any ability to back this, as would the title of "Think B4 You Speak," asking people to think before speaking, but using interwebs abbreviations/n00bspeak (not even proper 1337!), which is probably one of the leading causes of dumb in our wired universe, and so is the opposite of thinking before communicating.

We shouldn't even need these "marketing techniques" -- people should just understand this ******** and not be so offensive because of having morals.

KetchupO

tωisted
If it weren't for the fact that I have morals, the fact that Hillary Duff is involved would have made me lose any ability to back this, as would the title of "Think B4 You Speak," asking people to think before speaking, but using interwebs abbreviations/n00bspeak (not even proper 1337!), which is probably one of the leading causes of dumb in our wired universe, and so is the opposite of thinking before communicating.
They probably did that 'B4' in hopes of the campaign being better appealing to it's intended audience.

the fact that Hillary Duff is involved would have made me lose any ability to back this,
Hilary is a very nice woman : )
Very down to earth.

I still do not understand the celeb hate on Serebii it's pathetic to be honest...

.TraX.

Bad and Nationwide
We shouldn't even need these "marketing techniques" -- people should just understand this ******** and not be so offensive because of having morals.

Morals, are ironically, used against the gay community on a regular basis.

They're just your beliefs, the product of how you were taught and what happened to you in life. Your perspective.

As a general rule, if people don't want to be judged, they shouldn't be making judgments.

I stand by my statement: if something like someone saying "that's gay" offends or upsets you, you need to harden the fuck up and stop being a silly *****.

The Admiral

I know people in my high school, kids between the ages of fourteen and eighteen, who still do it all the time. It makes me sad... and makes me wonder just how slowly these buggers are growing up. They should just swear like normal teenagers, instead of saying things that make them look like assholes in front of all their friends... well, bigger assholes than they already are. Even in middle school, I was using the f-word like a pro. It never even crossed my mind to use "gay" as a derogatory word. I built a vocabulary largely on compounds of the word "****." Soon, everything I said started to sound like the f-word.

Now you know why I've never had a girlfriend for longer than a day. The only girlfriend I had I offended when I said "bugger" when she said her parents established a curfew. She thought I said "**** 'em."

My accent must be terrible. End extremely offensive post.

The Doctor

Absolute Beginner
They probably did that 'B4' in hopes of the campaign being better appealing to it's intended audience.

And already it's lost my interest. I stand for proper use of the English language, I refuse to let it devolve into strings of random letters and numbers. That, and they're starting up a whole campaign over one form of affrontation; it just seems like way too much fuss, and it isn't going to stop "gay" being used as an insult.

I still do not understand the celeb hate on Serebii it's pathetic to be honest...

It's called an opinion.

KetchupO

tωisted
It's called an opinion.
There's no point having an opinion on someone you've never met as it will most likely be incorrect.

And already it's lost my interest. I stand for proper use of the English language, I refuse to let it devolve into strings of random letters and numbers. That, and they're starting up a whole campaign over one form of affrontation; it just seems like way too much fuss, and it isn't going to stop "gay" being used as an insult.
So what you're saying is, 'Stuff the whole purpose of the campaign, I won't support it because they titled it 'B4' & not 'Before'. Boo-Hoo.
WTF?
I think you should focus more on the real issue hear and not something as trivial as spelling.

The Admiral

There's no point having an opinion on someone you've never met as it will most likely be incorrect.

Funny you should say that. If that's so, then should we not be fans of actors/musicians/etc. unless we know them? I highly doubt you truly know Britney Spears.

So what you're saying is, 'Stuff the whole purpose of the campaign, I won't support it because they titled it 'B4' & not 'Before'. Boo-Hoo.
WTF?
I think you should focus more on the real issue hear and not something as trivial as spelling.

They're seeking to kill off one affront to the English language, and yet they're putting another to use.

KetchupO

tωisted
Funny you should say that. If that's so, then should we not be fans of actors/musicians/etc. unless we know them? I highly doubt you truly know Britney Spears.
First of all, we should be fans of actors/artists for their work.
And I may not know Britney Spears personally, but as a fan, I know more than most.
I highly doubt you've watched every single Britney interview. I highly doubt you've been to any of her concerts, own every album/DVD/poster or know all her songs off by heart. I doubt you've read her books. I doubt you see paparazzi pics of what she's doing every day or are a member on any Britney forums.

The point is, fans generally know more than haters. Haters focus on the negative, things which they should not focus on.
They focus on the often false things the media portrays to them. And they eat all the lies up like it's fast-food.
Hating someone for no good reason other than the fact that they're a celeb is stupid & immature, & frankly, it just comes off looking like plain jealousy, whether you are jealous or not. It's pathetic.
They're seeking to kill off one affront to the English language, and yet they're putting another to use.
Since when has 'B4' been a bad word?
-__-
No one in life, in their right mind freaks out at the sight of the word 'B4' spelled like that, other than retards on Serebii. Omg.

Last edited:

The Admiral

First of all, we should be fans of actors/artists for their work.
And I may not know Britney Spears personally, but as a fan, I know more than most.

Not necessarily, you don't.

The point is, fans generally know more than haters. Haters focus on the negative, things which they should not focus on.
Hating someone for no good reason other than the fact that they're a celeb is stupid & immature, & frankly, it just comes off looking like plain jealousy, whether you are jealous or not. It's pathetic.

It has nothing to do with celebrity. I simply don't like these people or their work. The only way they could appeal to me is by means of schadenfreude. Should we even count that?

Since when has 'B4' been a bad word?

It's not a word at all, and that's what part of this hinges on.

Status
Not open for further replies.