1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

History Thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Discussion' started by RedJirachi, Apr 12, 2018.

1. RedJirachi

RedJirachi Veteran member

Welcome to the History Thread. Here, you are free to discuss historical subjects with one another, and historical figures. It can be American history, British history, Japanese history-basically any history. That being said, remember to be polite when it comes to political and religious subjects. Also, by history I usually mean at least a generation ago. You can talk about some things that happened after 1990, but before that is more of a focus.

You can start discussions about certain time periods. For example the reign of Henry VIII and other Tudors, antebellum America and Sengoku Period Japan.

WishIhadaManafi5 likes this.
  2. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff

Marie Curie is an interesting historical figure even if you aren’t into science. Since the effects that radioactive materials had on people were unknown at the time she was alive, Curie kept active material in test tube that were stored on shelves, her desk, and even pockets. This led to her notebooks and personal cookbooks to be so radioactive that they must be kept in lead lined boxes to protect researchers and if you even want to look at these books, you are legally obligated to sign a release that states that these books are extremely hazardous.

3. VampirateMace

VampirateMace Internet Overlord

Which naturally leads into; Even after we knew what radiation was, how we treated it (about 20 yrs later) was appalling. People were eating/drinking radioactive materials (to give them that radiant glow), and the poor girls painting watch hands (who were licking their brushes to get a sharp point, having been told it was safe), ended up with horrible symptoms (one woman's jaw practically fell off), while the male workers were shielded with lead aprons.

4. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ Very sleepy...zzz...

Ive always been interested in the US colonial/Revolutionary War era. I think my favorite thing from this era is the music, mostly the fife and drum tunes.

5. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff

I’ve always like the years that had those big hoop dresses. I’ve always wanted to create a Barbie sized version.

6. Scammel

Scammel Well-Known Member

One of my previous bosses was a descendant of General Burgoyne. He had a massive portrait of him in his office.

Had another tour of the UK Houses of Parliament recently. What always tickles me about the place is the fact that so much of the building is relatively recent (1800s), but was actually purposefully made to reflect traditions that were silly and dated even then. The main chamber is deliberately too small to fit every MP, and the distance between the two benches is the length of two swords even though they were already illegal to carry when the chamber was built.

Pokegirl Fan~ likes this.
  7. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ Very sleepy...zzz...

Wow that's amazing! I actually had ancestors in the US fighting in the war I believe. Another one of my ancestors was apparently kidnapped by native Americans and I believe they ended up returning back after several years.

Scammel likes this.
  8. Scammel

Scammel Well-Known Member

Nothing so interesting in my family tree I'm afraid, bar an ancestor who was hanged for arson. It is fairly unique in as much that it's almost all entirely English - not a trace of anything continental.

I seem to have a habit of picking up posh bosses, my current manager will be the 6th Baronet of his line when his dad dies and get to call himself 'Sir'.

9. RedJirachi

Anyone have veteran ancestors? My paternal grandfather was an artillery mechanic in the Korean War. My grandma managed to get his war records recently. He only really talked about the fun he had on shore leave in Japan, though. His father and uncle are World War I veterans, the latter was KIA in 1918 France. Apparently my great-grandfather helped dig tunnels under the Germans, and was in Gallipoli.

No direct relatives on my mother's side, though my maternal grandfather was about to go to Korea before it ended. My maternal grandmother had a cousin of hers who helped on the farm, and was shipped off to World War 2. His plane was shot down in 1943 over Germany. Over half a century later when we were at a holiday in Germany, grandma met a woman who saw it happen

10. Kung Fu Ferret

Kung Fu Ferret The Next God

Besides all of the ancient civilizations with all of their myths, I have always been intrigued by the idea of communism. I've been reading various works by Karl Marx, and I must say that he had some pretty decent ideas on how to handle the many complaints he had about the system at the time. And these complaints are also relevant even in 2018, maybe even more so now than ever.

Also, I'm pretty sure I'm a descendant of a certain 13th Century warlord *cough*GENGHIS KHAN*cough*.

Also, I share my birthday with many political figures (most of whom were assassinated while they were in power). James Garfield and Indira Gandhi both come to mind. Maybe I should steer clear of politics.

11. Cometstarlight

Cometstarlight What do I do now?

I've always been interested in American history (pre-Revoluion to WWII) because, well, I'm American, go figure lol

For real though, my dad has always been a big Civil War buff, so I grew up stooped in history of that war as well as the previously mentioned ones. It's intriguing to me because people are often misinformed about the American Civil War and what it was fought over. Slavery, yes, but that was just one part of a multifaceted object. States rights and what not. I also love artifacts from that time. My dad has some cannon ball pieces, which I think are super cool!

As for others, I just love history in general! I almost minored in history, but after a really bad semester with constant paper writing in three classes, I decided to make it more of a hobby lol. I'm trying to learn more about European and Asian history. Extra Credits History being a favorite series of mine due to the large variety of historical events they cover. The ones covering Admiral Yi are especially cool.

I know there were some in the Civil War, but I'm blanking on any others. I want to say I had one in WWII, but I can't say that with certainty. I'll dig through my family tree and get back to you on that.

12. GrizzlyB

GrizzlyB Confused and Dazed

Apparently my maternal grandfather fought in World War II on some kind of fighter plane that was shot down. Supposedly, the pilot was a yellow-bellied coward who was the first to bail, and he and another guy had to help a wounded/unconscious guy to safely jump out of the plane. They were all taken as POWs, but all three made it out. I hear they were fed mostly/only rutabagas, and for the rest of his life, my grandfather would pop you one if you brought a rutabaga in his vicinity (okay, I exaggerate, but apparently he loathed the things). He died long before I was born, but I met his buddy who helped him with the other guy, once. Eh... nothing super-exciting. I don't even know what stage of the war this was at, nor where it happened (although I think I was told his stay lasted ~9-10 months, so presumably near the beginning of American involvement? Mighta been 3-4, though).

The way we're taught history in elementary school has a pretty simplistic slant to it, which informs the way we think about other parts of history as we learn them, I think. The first history lesson I remember was about slavery, particularly the Underground Railroad, which leads to a strong reaction when you start hearing about the Civil War. On the opposite side, they kind of explained that American Indians used to be here and now they're not without going into further detail, which lets them pretty smoothly gloss over the whole period between the Indiana Purchase and the Civil War when they were chased out en masse.

Anyway, I remember having a professor (in an entry-level history class) explain that the Confederacy actually won the Civil War vis-à-vis the massive political concessions made to keep them as part of the Union. It kinda made sense the way he explained it, but looking at it now, it sure seems like it didn't last. Most of the biggest issues are determined at the Federal level -- for most people, I don't think laws vary very much at all state-by-state.

But to be honest, I'm not all that interested in history. A bunch of busywork nonsense with exaggerated importance, imo. Though I did very much enjoy learning of The Life and Times of Grigori Rasputin.

13. RedJirachi

If you're human, you have a 1 in 200 chance of being Genghis Khan's descendant. 8% if you're Mongolian. In terms of birthdays, I was born in March 14 so I share a birthday with Albert Einstein(so does my uncle) and since I'm into astronomy, it's a source of pride for me. Much like how my mother loves that her birthday(December 5) is the same as Walt Disney's.

Researching the family tree links, I've discovered that I'm a descendant of Sir Thomas More through his daughter(and so's my mom and her dad). Being that I find the life of Henry VIII fascinating, this amuses me since my ancestor was the guy who fell out of favor and got executed by him. Bonus points is that the Tudors are my favorite English period to read about, but another ancestor was Thomas Wyatt, the guy who led Wyatt's Rebellion and got himself executed by Henry's daughter Mary Tudor

14. WishIhadaManafi5

WishIhadaManafi5 Werewolf of London

I've been interested in mythology as well. Especially ancient Egypt and ancient Greece and Rome. And anything prehistoric, related to dinosaurs and what not. History can be something to learn about and from.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018