• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Hisui or modern day Sinnoh?

Nave

Are you more excited to explore Hisui in Legends: Arceus, or modern day Sinnoh in BDSP?

Diamond and Pearl were a big reason I started playing Pokémon again as an adult, but for some reason I didn't find them that memorable. I wasn't as drawn into its story as I was for Pokémon Black. I played Black on an emulator years after I stopped playing Pokémon, and was surprised by how interesting a character N was. Then, I played Diamond and Pearl on an emulator as well, but it wasn't until I bought Pokémon X that I really got back into the series and entered the competitive scene for the first time. I don't remember particularly liking the characters or legendaries in Pokémon D/P, I just remember feeling nostalgic about playing Pokémon again. So, you can probably sense my surprise that most people think it's the best generation.

Maybe it's because I never played Platinum. Maybe it's because I played on an emulator. Or maybe it's because my memory sucks. But I actually started thinking that Gen 4 was my least favourite gen.

But then I remember how playing D/P in 1st year university helped me through a hard time. So maybe I should experience them again, how it's supposed to be.

Yet, something about Legends: Arceus just seems fresher. I think it's cool how they're releasing BDSP and Legend: Arceus around the same time, so you can experience the evolution of Sinnoh. But to be quite honest, before I started looking at rankings of Pokémon Gens, I thought I would skip BDSP.

Legends: Arceus looks like a more realized Wild Area. I personally love the designs of both Wyrdeer and Basculegion, and anticipate more new evolutions, forms, or even new lines altogether. It's cool how wild Pokémon can actually attack trainers, before they send out trained Pokémon to defend themselves.

So are you more excited to explore Hisui or Sinnoh? Do you want to play BDSP and Legends: Arceus in the order they come out? Or do you want do you want to play them in chronological order? Will you play both games or not?

Red and Blue

I'm excited for both(never played the original DPPT) but between the two probably Legends. Getting to play a Pokemon game taking place in the past is exciting. Especially with new regional variants and evolutions.

I'm hoping they do another "Legends" game set in another region in the future.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
I am more excited to explore Hisui, mostly because this is an entirely new experience. While BDSP is still technically a new experience, you don't know what to expect in Hisui.

Ultra Beast Lover

I'm more excited for Legends. I'll admit, I've never been a fan of the catch quest and I don't know how fun it'll be. But, I look forward to exploring the region in full with the only real limit being the world's limit. I'm also looking forward to learning some new lore.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
I'm excited for both(never played the original DPPT) but between the two probably Legends. Getting to play a Pokemon game taking place in the past is exciting. Especially with new regional variants and evolutions.

I'm hoping they do another "Legends" game set in another region in the future.

As for sequels to Legends, it's kind of hard to go after they already did one featuring the God of Pokémon.

But if I had to pick.

1. Pokémon Legends: Zygarde
This might be the sole reason why we never got round to getting a Pokémon Z version. The historical lore it has plenty of, AZ being such an unknown, it all makes sense to explore the Kalos story in a past setting. That being said, Kalos as a region is REALLY ill-suited to becoming a sandbox game. So many routes are just mini-biomes to the point where you're going from desert to marsh to snow, to sunny flowers and just does not seem to work at all - whereas Sinnoh is spreadout far better: You have snowplains in the upper north, there's a bit of marshland in the southeast, but the rest is generally grassland or woodlands aside from Mount Coronet towering in the middle. There's no jarring Route 17 into Anistar City moments like you have in Kalos. Who knows, I might be wrong.

2. Pokémon Legends: B-1000/W-1000
Honestly didn't know how to call these, but you get the drift. This would be the story about the original dragon of Unova. There's obviously a story there that's worth playing through.

3. Pokémon Legends: Celebi
It might lack the 'oomph' of 'Arceus', but there's so much more story to tell in Johto that doesn't revolve around the remnants of TeamRocket. It's actually quite sad when you realize that neither Lugia, Ho-Oh or even Suicune actually had a role to play in the story of the Gen2-games and are at best tangential sidequests in the games they should be the stars in. Yes, we get a lore dump here or there - and Eusine is a character, but honestly nothing really happens with Lugia, Ho-Oh or the beasts in the Gen2 games in a narrative sense (aside from you chase Suicune and eventually get the Clear Orb and catch it, which is simply not a story). The remakes gave us a little timetravel event with Celebi. Honestly, that's just the angle you'd want in order to go to actual ancient Johto.

4. Pokémon Legends: Mew
Just make this set in the early timeline of the 8th movie and honestly, lets go.

5. Pokémon Legends: Jirachi
Similar to Mew and Celebi, Jirachi's amazing lore should be able to give us a story set an amazing 1000 years before the current timeline - or the often spoken off 3000 years before our timeline.

I'm more excited for Legends. I'll admit, I've never been a fan of the catch quest and I don't know how fun it'll be. But, I look forward to exploring the region in full with the only real limit being the world's limit. I'm also looking forward to learning some new lore.

Honestly I feel as if we're setting us up for disappointment and that the game isn't as much Breath of the Wild as we think it will be and more.. Twilight Princess? Where we still had huge bits of land to traverse and nothing like routes in the Pokémon games, but still very clearly bordered and with set entrances for most areas.

Ultra Beast Lover

Honestly I feel as if we're setting us up for disappointment and that the game isn't as much Breath of the Wild as we think it will be and more.. Twilight Princess? Where we still had huge bits of land to traverse and nothing like routes in the Pokémon games, but still very clearly bordered and with set entrances for most areas.
Yeah I think it'll be more like Twilight Princess. Not really a bad thing though

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Yeah I think it'll be more like Twilight Princess. Not really a bad thing though

Definitely not a bad thing, but if the game is basically seven to 8 wild areas, then I think a certain vocal portion of the fandom will not be able to help themselves..

Ultra Beast Lover

I don't need Pokemon to be BoTW. As long as I can feel like I'm going on an actual journey and not just going through some routes on a set path, like I could actually get a little lost, I'm fine with it.

Nave

SwSh really lacked dungeons. I liked the forest where you could catch Grimmsnarl's pre-evo Morgrem, but that was one of the only areas you could actually get lost in. I'm hoping Legends: Arceus has dungeons, caves, and forests where you could get disoriented. I feel that things started getting too linear in Gen 6, as much as I love X & Y.

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
SwSh really lacked dungeons. I liked the forest where you could catch Grimmsnarl's pre-evo Morgrem, but that was one of the only areas you could actually get lost in. I'm hoping Legends: Arceus has dungeons, caves, and forests where you could get disoriented. I feel that things started getting too linear in Gen 6, as much as I love X & Y.

The DLC was a step in the right direction.

IoA had that one forest and the tunnels.

But the CT went farther and I found the mountain pass you take to get to Calyrex's castle was pretty great.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony

But the CT went farther and I found the mountain pass you take to get to Calyrex's castle was pretty great.

Yeah, at that point I felt like I was playing an old-school Pokémon game again. The Crown Tundra music also feels nostalgic, but I can't put my finger as to why.

I do suspect there were dungeons planned though. The factory near Motostoke that Sonia talks about looked like it would be a dungeon, and there's even a blocked-off path that never opens up. Ultimately, it served no story importance.

Nave

Yeah I haven't played CT yet. Really looking forward to that.
It was pretty cool how in IoA there were alternate routes to the towers.
The expansion pass as a whole does make it seem like things are trending in the right direction as far as an open world Pokémon game.
That's partly why I'm more excited to explore Hisui.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Oh definitely Hisui. I honestly couldn't care less about exploring anything in BDSP except maybe the hideaways due to the art style, it literally feels like I'm playing an HD version of the same game. If BDSP had sword and shield or SM graphics I would be looking much more forward to what changes there are but the trailers already proved that things look pretty much the same so not excited for it.

Now Legends I am thrilled about exploring!!! Not only because of the traversal pokemon but because it's going to look so different and fresh, you really don't know what to expect and that is WAY more exciting.

Ultra Beast Lover

Yeah, I'll admit that after a while the regions felt more like a road trip then a journey. It was a fun road trip, sure, but after a while it's more like I'm walking down an unpaved road to the next tourist destination.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
The one thing I'm most excited for in Pokemon BDSP is the Grand Underground because...
1. It was one of my favorite features in the original games.
2. It has the one new thing I'm most excited for (being Pokemon Hideaways).

Overall, however, I'm more excited for Legends: Arceus because of the new Pokemon evolutions/forms, and for the list of unknowns for the game.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I’m super excited for LA especially with all the new characters, Pokémon, gameplay styles, and all the other additions. Last time I was this excited for a completely new game was Smash Ultimate.

That being said, I’m more excited for BDSP. I know these games don’t work for everyone and I respect that as I admit I’d rather they’d use more realistic models as I was hoping they wouldn’t go to anything like LGPE again. However I’ve slowly warmed up to it as it really does emulate the same feel as the originals did when I first played them (mostly because of the long gap between the next news update).

It made me realize how much I really enjoy the Sinnoh games and Pokémon as a franchise. Pokémon Diamond was my first video game ever. I don’t know how much of my life would’ve changed if I never asked for this game after seeing an ad on TV. I’ve made so many good friends and memories from this franchise. It’s sappy but I genuinely appreciate these games for opening my eyes to so much more. It’s why Platinum is my favorite game ever. So much of my life has changed since I was a kid playing on Christmas to now being a recent college graduate so it’ll be so nice to just have that nostalgic experience for awhile after hoping for Sinnoh remakes since the jump to 3D back in 2013.

ckd89

so excited for Legends I skipped BDSP because I played them before twice I'm definitely going for cyndaquil as my starter pokemon love them fire types I can't wait to play I swear I'm going to be in a long line to pick up the game a lot of pokemon fans around my area but I do not mind them which means more friend codes for pokemon trading lol

Nave

so excited for Legends I skipped BDSP because I played them before twice I'm definitely going for cyndaquil as my starter pokemon love them fire types I can't wait to play I swear I'm going to be in a long line to pick up the game a lot of pokemon fans around my area but I do not mind them which means more friend codes for pokemon trading lol
The Cyndaquil line is definitely one of the coolest. I just hope Typhlosion gets some coverage moves, cause it's kind of lacking in that regard.
I'm really intrigued by Hisuian Arcanine, or whatever it's called. Fire/Rock is a horrible defensive typing, but one of the best offensive typings, and they figure to be pretty fast.
I've kind of done a 360 on BDSP because I just needed to jog my memory. Forgot that's the one with Mt. Coronet. Don't really like the legendaries, but some of my favourite Pokémon are from that gen. Wasn't able to go Underground cause I was on an emulator. So I want to check that out.
Still more excited for Legends though.

Det. Viper

That’s Detective Viper to you
The Cyndaquil line is definitely one of the coolest. I just hope Typhlosion gets some coverage moves, cause it's kind of lacking in that regard.
Thunder Punch / Wild Chage, Earthquake / Stomping Tantrum, Rock Slide, Throat Chop, Extrasensory, Gyro Ball, Solar Beam, Brick Break / Power Up Punch. It has great coverage.
I'm really intrigued by Hisuian Arcanine, or whatever it's called. Fire/Rock is a horrible defensive typing, but one of the best offensive typings, and they figure to be pretty fast.
Arcanine is the most requested Pokémon for a regional form. Can’t wait to see what it’ll look like.