• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Hit Your Mark, Aura! Ash and the Mysterious Egg!! (1110)

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
I remembered in the last series speculations someone wanted Ash to have a Lucario, I mean sure it's a Riolu but it's still the same line, but people dismissed it, wrote that it would only happen in fanfictions.

Now, it just happened and broke the trend from the previous series where Ash could only catch Pokemons from the generations he's in, just like his Dragonite & Gengar few episodes before.

Also I like how fighting obsessive this Riolu is, even after its egg hatched. Although, I feel bad for the wild Pokemons who got threatened by it, they have feelings and emotions, unlike in the games where they are static.

Outside of Riolu, the episode just continues the streak that Ash got by defeating trainers and raising his rankings, mainly with his Pikachu. I would like Raboot to participate in battles too. Poor thing, it just feel bored and doesn't really interact much.

Decent episode, even though it is important because Ash got a Riolu...and Go raises its capture collection by capturing an Exeggcute.

Samurott

Super late responding to this even though no one will read, but oh well.

Anyway, I'm so happy Ash has Riolu now! I've been a fan since the late 90's and watched in Japanese ever since the DP era, and since then, I've been rooting for Ash to get one. Lucario is my all time favorite Pokemon, mainly because he's a lot like a DBZ character. Hopefully his final moveset is Aura Sphere, Close Combat, Extreme Speed, and Flash Cannon. In addition to this episode airing on Easter, this also aired on the same week as my birthday, so this is just icing on the cake that I'll be eating on Friday. Now I'm just hoping for Mega Lucario in the future.

Egakor

Ash’s Riolu uses Vacuum Wave in 2 ways: shooting it as a ball or firing it as a beam.
Kinda make me want it to keep Vacuum Wave even after evolution since it seems a little more versatile than Aura Sphere to me.

Litleonid

I'm seriously thrilled to see Ash with a Riolu! I really liked his new Riolu's personality and its really gonna make seeing it on screen enjoyable.

dentula

Popular episode because a popular pokemon was captured. I don't care much for the Riolu line, but I am glad that maybe the whole Aura Guardian thing will be taken off the backburner and developed.

lol at Satoshi humoring Go's capture of Exeggute "Haa... ha"

Tauros went down without much of a fuss. Odd to me that the Tauros Guy was a significantly higher rank than the bad ass lady with the super aggressive Raichu.

Anyway, onto the meat of the episode: EGG LORE

- pokemon have never been documented laying eggs
- unknown where eggs come from. a legitimate hypothesis posits that pokemon just find them somewhere???
- cannot identify species of pokemon in egg until it hatches

... like it's crazy that people straight up don't know anything about pokemon reproductive ecology.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Anyway, onto the meat of the episode: EGG LORE

- pokemon have never been documented laying eggs
- unknown where eggs come from. a legitimate hypothesis posits that pokemon just find them somewhere???
- cannot identify species of pokemon in egg until it hatches

... like it's crazy that people straight up don't know anything about pokemon reproductive ecology.
It's like this universe is a whole deep step back than in the games.

Yce288

Grass type FTW
Yeah Pikachu put up alot in this episode. However, the quick attack probably didn't hurt Pika.
The trainer with Vulpix was voiced by Pikachu's voice actress so even she did more work in this episode.
and i laughed when Jigglypuff was put to sleep by Azurill's Sing because it's the one to usually put people and Pokemon into sleep.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
Ash’s Riolu uses Vacuum Wave in 2 ways: shooting it as a ball or firing it as a beam.
Kinda make me want it to keep Vacuum Wave even after evolution since it seems a little more versatile than Aura Sphere to me.

I think that was more due to Riolu's inexperience. It wasn't until it connected with Ash that it perfected the move. If you noticed, when it first used it, it let out a frustrated face, probably signifying that it did something wrong.

I enjoyed the episode for what it was and I think that once Riolu finally hugs Ash, it's gonna be a special moment. Riolu seems to think that PDA is a sign of weakness and it's above getting assistance.

I was hoping it would have an egg move and I'm happy it was Vacuum Wave. Ever since Zoey's Gallade used it in the Grand Festival, I've been hoping that move gets used by someone on the main cast.

It is so weird how they neglected to show Ash's rank. He was at 1512 and the guy was in the 10--'s IIRC. So maybe he's around 1200 now? Who knows.

Rune Knight

I think that was more due to Riolu's inexperience. It wasn't until it connected with Ash that it perfected the move. If you noticed, when it first used it, it let out a frustrated face, probably signifying that it did something wrong.

I enjoyed the episode for what it was and I think that once Riolu finally hugs Ash, it's gonna be a special moment. Riolu seems to think that PDA is a sign of weakness and it's above getting assistance.

I was hoping it would have an egg move and I'm happy it was Vacuum Wave. Ever since Zoey's Gallade used it in the Grand Festival, I've been hoping that move gets used by someone on the main cast.

It is so weird how they neglected to show Ash's rank. He was at 1512 and the guy was in the 10--'s IIRC. So maybe he's around 1200 now? Who knows.

Yeah, around 1200 is my estimate.

dman_dustin

If would be a lot easier to estimate Ash's rank if we knew what Meganium trainer's rank was, but alas they didn't care to show us. So yeah we don't know why Ash shot up to 1512 after defeating the Meganium Trainer.

So only showing us Tauros's trainer's rank, doesn't really help.

Edit: We don't even know what Ash's technical rank was before he battled Visquez, could've been 10,000 but I doubt it was exactly 10,000 all we know is Ash had a rank and then suddenly more people started being included.

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
While I enjoy the concept of TWC, Ash's random trainer battles literally feel like they have zero stakes. Ash is steamrolling these trainers and the writers aren't even bothering to show Ash's ranking. I assume the battles will become more high-stake and important as Ash rises in ranks, but right now, it just feels like whatever. Like even if he loses a battle, it means nothing, since he can battle another trainer and just restore his ranking back to normal.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
While I enjoy the concept of TWC, Ash's random trainer battles literally feel like they have zero stakes. Ash is steamrolling these trainers and the writers aren't even bothering to show Ash's ranking. I assume the battles will become more high-stake and important as Ash rises in ranks, but right now, it just feels like whatever. Like even if he loses a battle, it means nothing, since he can battle another trainer and just restore his ranking back to normal.

i'm sure once the higher tiers come around things will get more intense.

As for the battle in this episode, the battle felt like more of a means for Ash and Riolu's egg to "feel" each other than to raise Ash's rank which it did but we don't know by how much as the plot demanded Ash's attention elsewhere.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Can I just say that I love how Go's pokemon are just all around the lab with him, like it's really nice to see them out and about even if it's just cameos. I know a lot of people say like oh Go's captures don't mean much since we will likely never seen them again and I love that they are disproving that. It also tells me that Go actually cares about the pokemon and they aren't just dex filler.

Not quite a fan of the episode myself.

Because of the pacing?

i'm not so sure...it definitely seemed to be more powerful when battling alongside Ash.

After all, before Ash and Pikachu caught up it couldn't do anything to Onix, but the moment it started battling alongside Ash, not only did it damage Onix hard but it sent the thing running in fear.
Didn't you say something like 'Go getting blasted off by Riolu' as a speculation? Funnily enough it was Ash who was blasted away. But that was nice prediction.
Just imagine riolu trying to boss around lucario and taking the lead everytime. There, people complained a lot Ash hadn't much hard time with dragonite and gengar, but make this somewhat prick riolu become a team player will be a long term goal. Just imagine when sobble joins in and, being a cry baby, have to deal with this Paw Patrol fugitive.
I am really hoping for that. Plus we can get a sort of role reversal once these two fully evolve.
Also, unrelated, but this season has been trying to balance an awful lot in each episode. The pacing is kind of...all over the place, in the last two episodes. Certain sections drag, while others don't get nearly enough time. This is partially because of a combination of the PWC battles and catches. It was particularly obvious this episode.

I sincerely hope this won't stay a problem.
This pacing was all over the place. They could've easily expanded the content of this episode over two episodes. This episodic formula is hurting the storytelling aspect.

I'd argue Riolu is just Ash's Scraggy done a bit better, what with the wanting to face everything in sight despite it's current strength level... but just seeing it come from Riolu is kinda funny for some reason. Art work always depicts the species as somewhat stoic, but it's kinda cool to see it act like a newborn if I'm being honest. I actually hope it keeps the confident if not straight up cocky attitude throughout it's time on the show, whether it evolves or not (I'm pretty sure it will evolve guys). Charizard kinda lost that trait after it started trusting Ash again and permanently lost it after it began training in the Valley... sad.
Charizard did act like an *ss before the Brandon battle.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
The trainer with Vulpix was voiced by Pikachu's voice actress so even she did more work in this episode.

Really happy more people noticed that.

I always like seeing Ohtani voicing other characters in the show.

She did some quality work with Sawyer back then

bramblest007

Looks like Ash is getting some seriously good Pokemon this season. Considering even gym leaders need to fight their way up the ranking in this series, I imagine they are finally giving Ash a competitive team! Ash had a decent team for Sinnoh and Kalos league, but the rest are very "meh".