• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Hit Your Mark, Aura! Ash and the Mysterious Egg!! (1110)

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
One thing I really liked in this episode is Ash's and Go's interactions. I really dig their chemistry. Also it was a nice touch to see ash thinking the egg was waiting for him and thinking that he was wrong about it. Pikachu and dragonite were so adorable. That PWC match was eh, but then again that match wasn't necessary, it was their to advance the plot.

Looks like Ash is getting some seriously good Pokemon this season. Considering even gym leaders need to fight their way up the ranking in this series, I imagine they are finally giving Ash a competitive team! Ash had a decent team for Sinnoh and Kalos league, but the rest are very "meh".

Meh? Ash's Alola team is strong, and so is his hoenn and kanto team. The only weak teams he had arguably were the unova and Johto teams

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
While I enjoy the concept of TWC, Ash's random trainer battles literally feel like they have zero stakes. Ash is steamrolling these trainers and the writers aren't even bothering to show Ash's ranking. I assume the battles will become more high-stake and important as Ash rises in ranks, but right now, it just feels like whatever. Like even if he loses a battle, it means nothing, since he can battle another trainer and just restore his ranking back to normal.
His battle-done-quick thing is to mirror Go's capture-done-quick thing.

If one method suddenly takes longer focus, you got yourself the rest of the episode!

Last edited:

No. 1 Machop Fan

It's good to see the writers going back to Ash's strong aura and potential as an aura guardian (and aura guardians ALWAYS have Lucario). That's been touched on in tiny amounts since Lucario & The Mystery Of Mew but they never did more than scratch the surface. Now they have a chance to actually flesh out that side of Ash.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
It's good to see the writers going back to Ash's strong aura and potential.
That wasn't it. The Riolu simply liked his "battle" aura. Not just regular aura. Apparently, auras can be classified as "battle" auras, and even more apparently, each "battle" aura is unique.
potential as an aura guardian
Ash couldn't care less about committing a bit to this.
(and aura guardians ALWAYS have Lucario).
His Sinnoh aura guardian ancestor had a Pikachu instead of a Lucario when dealing with a Spiritomb.
That's been touched on in tiny amounts since Lucario & The Mystery Of Mew but they never did more than scratch the surface.
Never once was Ash's aura been touched upon after the movie itself or was it directly linked as the aura from the movie.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
They mention Ash seeing eggs before, yet don't bring up the fact he raised four Pokemon from eggs before this. Yes, Larvitar counts
The Elm mention/cameo was really appreciated, he was the last professor I expected them to bring up. I'd like it if he shows up in person at some point, the guy could really use a memorable episode/appearance.

Seeing Pikachu destroy the competition is quickly going almost as tiresome as Go's pointless cardboard captures. Can Dragonite please get some damn action already? I hope this is mostly to just get Ash to the next class quickly so he faces actual characters from the games but it still seems incredibly lazy that he only sought out one person thus far, while everyone else is seeking him.... right in Vermillion. Could have had him challenge somebody in Hoenn next episode but it's basically confirmed he won't be *sigh*. Variety is essential, seeing the same thing again and again gets boring, I'd like to see less fights in Vermillion, less fights with Pikachu, and more with Dragonite/Gengar in one of the other seven regions out there! Bringing somebody from Goldenrod to face Ash isn't the same as Ash going there, though that Pikachu fight was at least awesome!

Riolu is a cool addition and I really like his personality, but I honestly think Sobble should have been first though at least we know it'll happen soon. Hopefully after the Battle Festival...
Do like that it's from Sinnoh too, though it is still somewhat ridiculous it winded up in Vermillion City. Couldn't have had an episode where they fly to Veilstone or something and basically do the plot there?

The GO eggs were just ****ing stupid though. The anime eggs were amazing and actually detailed but now they're going with bland and generic looking eggs with colorful splotches, how fascinating! Bravo... they better go back to normal once this saga is over.

Seeing a wild Onix was cool, I'm glad they didn't solve this scenario with one shot wonder tossing pokeballs like that awful Ho-oh filler episode. I know people seem to want it to come back and Ash captures it but it clearly got scared off, I don't see it holding a grudge.

Speaking of grudges... I really hope that was the Jigglypuff they were talking about.

9/10 GO eggs and cardboard capture....

Leonhart

Imagineer
KenzeyEevee said:
So Riolu is from Sinnoh, why couldnt the episode took place in Sinnoh instead?

I don't see what difference a Shinou setting would've made. At most we would've seen a few wild Gen IV Pokemon and Gou wouldn't have caught Tamatama, but at the same time a Shinou location would've just been a pointless novelty and not something that would've impacted the Riolu plot itself.

dman_dustin

Never once was Ash's aura been touched upon after the movie itself or was it directly linked as the aura from the movie.

Clarify why Aura Sphere Riolu episodes don't count? Or even the Spiritomb Episode?

Because I'm tired of Aura being referred to only being Ash using Aura Sphere in the movie. That's an extreme example of Aura but not the only thing relating to Aura. And it kind of annoys me. "OOH so what if Ash used Aura Sphere in the movie, or what Aura Sphere looked like, again that's the only application for Aura"

I don't see what difference a Shinou setting would've made. At most we would've seen a few wild Gen IV Pokemon and Gou wouldn't have caught Tamatama, but at the same time a Shinou location would've just been a pointless novelty and not something that would've impacted the Riolu plot itself.

Pretty sure its JUST about the different setting. But to be fair outside of Sakuragi Lab, and technical Vermillion City I do agree a different setting wouldn't have made a difference unless really seeing potential city/town continuity from Sinnoh is THAT important.

Plus the plot wouldn't have made sense, there would be no reason for them to go to Sinnoh to go look for Pokemon eggs to begin with, if anything that would be Johto.

Riolu is a cool addition and I really like his personality, but I honestly think Sobble should have been first though at least we know it'll happen soon.

I disagree because Riolu was an egg Pokemon, the sooner the egg Pokemon gets out of the way the better. Sobble appears to be wild, so it wouldn't make much sense for it to be caught first.

Kind of like how pointless it was for Ash's Noibat to caught so late as an egg Pokemon and how little Noivern really did.

Granted its not that bad, but pretty sure knocking Riolu out as for captures makes more sense then waiting until after Sobble.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
She is also the voice actress of Young Konohamaru from Naruto and Chopper from One Piece.

Forgetting Morgana from Persona 5? Never saw it coming.

Ehhhh....

Jokes aside, I really like her on that game (actually, I look at the cutscene mostly because I wanted to see her work with the character) and it's pretty clear she was having a blast with it.

DuquÊ?

Too lazy to pick a pic
Only if it was found in Veilstone, as a vague reference to Maylene's lucario, but in general, yeah, different setting, same result.

It just occured me Maylene's lucario had the same strict character as Ash's riolu. Strange. Almost sure riolu is a girl, I cringed everytime it yelped shrilly after being hitted.

Last edited:

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Clarify why Aura Sphere Riolu episodes don't count? Or even the Spiritomb Episode?

Because I'm tired of Aura being referred to only being Ash using Aura Sphere in the movie. That's an extreme example of Aura but not the only thing relating to Aura. And it kind of annoys me. "OOH so what if Ash used Aura Sphere in the movie, or what Aura Sphere looked like, again that's the only application for Aura"
Ash knows what Aura Sphere is from the movies, but you don't see anyone asking him to elaborate. It's a simple nod. Otherwise, we'd have recaps every time it's brought up.

We can all agree the Spiritomb episode doesn't question his aura capabilities either but just that he has them. Not even saying the name "Lucario." Why mention his aura but not how he knows?

I'm not sure Aura Sphere is that sacred given the move is given to other Pokemon. The blatant example is Dawn's Togekiss, whom Ash didn't get excited for one bit.

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
I will openly and transparently admit that throughout DP, I was probably one of the worst people on this forum for absolutely refusing to accept Riolu or Lucario on the cast, purely because I just didn't want it.. but I do find myself at this point really happy that Ash is getting a shot at training one for himself. I can't explain why, but now, after all the time that's passed, I'm really pleased that the little jackal is on the team and with such a cool personality too. It reminds me a little bit of how Buizel just wanted to fight all the time and I like that..

I can't wait to see how it develops in certain upcoming episode(s).

Deitylight

Legendary Trainer
I didn't really thing about it at the time but in the SwSh's wild area, Riolu will aggressively chase down the player to initiate combat like other aggressive Pokemon like Liepard, Sneasel, and Tyrogue. I guess Riolu in general is a lot more aggressive than I thought.

AuraGuardian448

Aura Guardian
Best episode in the entire Pokemon anime thus far. (Not fully serious, of course.)

Riolu/Lucario centered post—
It may not be a Lucario (yet), but having a Riolu virtually guarantees him a Lucario. Common sense indicates that it'll involve into one. So, speaking in future tense, Satoshi finally has (/going to get) a Lucario! This is something that I wanted to happen a decade ago in DP. My boy got two of the best canine Pokemon (even though it still pisses me off that he left the other all the way in Alola).

They did a mostly phenomenal job this episode bridging together Satoshi and Riolu's meeting: Satoshi emitting such an incredibly strong aura—naturally during a battle—that it not only reaches Riolu but also has it worthy enough to make Riolu respond back; both of them feeling each other's presence/wave (rather than just being one-sided), as well as the specific attention to detail of Satoshi feeling like/knowing he's being called rather than "uh, what's going on?" or "what was that?"; and Satoshi being drawn to Riolu's location entirely on his own without being told it was even in the Pokemon Center, let alone being given directions to it, which is a great reminder of Satoshi's established aura ability (something supported twice in this episode).

Other great details include the egg given to Satoshi from Nurse Joy being from Sinnoh, which is virtually a nod to Riley giving the player a Riolu egg in Sinnoh from Diamond and Pearl (game), something that never happened in the anime when Satoshi was travelling throughout Sinnoh. (Too bad it's not a descendant of the special Riolu capable of using aura sphere, though. Well, that kind of continuity is too much to expect from this anime to be honest.) Another is obviously the egg not reacting or hatching under its numerous owners nor for any external trainers, which is also similar to the Keromatsu (and Snivy) situation. (Also just want to mention how loosely reminiscent the whole egg constantly responding to Satoshi's aura sequence was to Satoshi becoming more insync with Satoshi-Gekkouga, specifically the instance with Satoshi vs Diantha.) Also, Riolu getting training/battle experience straight out of the egg within a matter of seconds after hatching, which was handled excellently provided its typing and character concept, is great. Started off weak in the beginning (as an egg Pokemon should), losing most of its battles as well, but was naturally getting progressively stronger throughout its encounters, with the arc ending with an additional but not illogical power increase under Satoshi's (of all people) guidance during its last battle, which especially made sense given the power of Satoshi's brimming aura. Lastly, I obviously have to mention the immediate capture the second it entered the Pokeball, which even Go pointed out.

Honestly, this all feels like a culmination of Satoshi and Gekkouga's fated meeting when it was a Keromatsu, the Lucario drawn to the player's wave/aura from Pokemon X and Pokemon Y, the aforementioned Riolu Egg from PD and PP, and lastly the "Pokemon Ranger! The Wave-guiding Riolu" anime special in DP (especially the comparable introductions).

Now, there's one event I don't like. Nurse Joy didn't need to tell Satoshi that Riolu wanted to be captured. Satoshi should have knew this; he's been through this multiple times (where he has understood when a Pokemon wants to be captured, both by him or a completely different person), and he literally understood when it called for him (in a damn egg, albeit with aura) and that it wanted to fight and get stronger when Onix wouldn't back down.

That last Vacuum wave it used without command is a bit concerning. Hopefully Riolu doesn't turn out like both Satoshi's Charizard and especially Korrina's Lucario did initially, when it inevitably evolves. Satoshi is far too mature for it to act like either of those two use to (battling, training, and egg raising wise), even if it evolve extremely early due to what is likely to be between them a phenomenal bond (heh). Hoping it'll be more akin to Keromatsu/Greninja, when it was simply prepared pre-command to obey the trainer command or something like that. Subsequently, both Satoshi having told it to stop and it listening (two things Charizard and K.Lucario's failed to do) is a good look so far. From the very first battle with it, Satoshi is already utterly avoiding the mistake Korrina made with her Lucario.

Personality wise, Riolu's is absolutely perfect: strong willed, determined, brave, and independent, without arrogance, self-conceit and rebellion.

I have high expectations for this Pokemon, including that Satoshi-Lucario form! Just kidding, again. One of the things I do really want to see, though, is a development related event linked to their bond. Something like what Satoshi and Pikachu did in XY, not even 10 episodes in, when they battled insync while Pikachu was completely blinded, or a number of similar but innovative things they shown with Satoshi and Gekkouga, or how Satoshi and Iris were both able to literally draw out the location of Riolu (Ranger special) and Axew, respectively, when they were lost. Yeah, I like events like those, and Satoshi has yet to do it with any of his Pokemon, including Pikachu.

Satoshi has deserved this so much. Riolu's evolution, Lucario (that he will get) has been consistently popular since its debut—including its #2 spot of most popular Pokemon of 2020—with appearances and major roles across various media outlets. Satoshi has even met and battled a notably surprising amount of them every generation since he met his first one in-fact. He's been neglected this Pokemon that was practically made for him and has had to interact with ones independent or owned by other people for so long, but now it's FINALLY his turn to have the Lucario and be the trainer causing havoc with one, as Lucario usually tends to throw down when it's battling someone/thing. No more loathing over other character having one except Satoshi :').

And I got to say it . . . I wonder how the people that said Satoshi/Ash would never get a (Lucario) Riolu feel now.

Last edited:

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Ash finally caught a Riolu!!! About time!! :DI’m actually glad that Riolu isn’t the run of the mill, already attached to Ash Pokémon (as in, whenever Ash wants to physically touch, it refuses and is quite stubborn.) They make a great team. I’m so happy for Ash and Pikachu! Enjoyable episode! I miss Ash referencing aura.;~;

Last edited: