• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

HK's Pond of Drawings

Hydro King

The Water Master
Hey there! I've been doodling around with the pen tool and stuff and my sisters say I'm pretty good for a beginner.
Anyways, I'll be displaying some of my 'Sonic Adventure' style art in this here thread. (and some of my other drawings/paintings) I really appreciate good criticism, but please don't be too harsh. (keep in mind that I only just started a couple of days ago)

Okay, so for my first drawing, here's Knuckles:

Last edited:

Electricbluewolf

*pours beans down the waterslide*
WOW! this is pretty good for a beginner.
The only prob i see is that-to me- the legs look thin compared to
other artworks, and compared to knuckles proportion,
and the colors are very 'block' and
i dont know how to put it....
also which way is the light sources coming from?

But anyway, this is a lovely picture,
and its nice to see people draw something other than
sonic himself or pokemon

I exspect to see more, and to this high-standerd-sp-!:)

Hydro King

The Water Master
Thank you, Electricbluewolf! :)
Yeah, in most other artwork, you'll notice that the legs thicken up a little near the end. (not sure if you were meaning just 'thinner' in general or what...but yeah)
And the colors? I tried to base the colors and shading off of this SA pic: http://www.freewebs.com/lmcat/Knuckles the Echidna.png (maybe it looks that way because of my cruddy sketch...or perhaps the 'big' shading in areas?)
Oh, and the light source is roughly coming from the top-left of the picture. There's shading on the other side of Knuckles though because the light isn't completely off to the left side. (that and the fact that it sort of displays the roundness of the object in some areas) It's a little hard to explain. ^^; But yeah, the lighting could also use some work I guess...

lol Thanks again! It takes a while to draw the sketch, create the outline, and color/shade the pic. Seriously, it means a lot that someone would actually take interest in it. =D

Electricbluewolf

*pours beans down the waterslide*
Im glad i take interest in drawings like these!
The light source puzzled me a bit with his shoes being light
but i suppose its nessecary-sp- on the shoes as
you said to show the curve on it!
then his hair, but otherwise, i think its great!

Plat. Frontier

Epic Mustache
An Awesome is you!

Hydro King

The Water Master
Thanks, you guys. ^^ VampirateMace, yeah, I noticed that...but by then it was too late to change it without major work. =/ For my next drawing though, I'm making sure to do a half-decent sketch for the outline. =P But thanks! I guess I did know a bit about the basics; I just never really applied them to anything before.
And Electricbluewolf...mind if I ask you what "-sp-" means? lol

Escheria

Ray Tracer
The drawing itself is really good, but I don't like the shading o.o

First, it's not in the right places. If your light source is supposed to be top-left, then right sides have to be darker, where you have big fat lighter areas. I understand the small reflection that occurs in the shadows, that's a normal thing to implement, but just not this boldly. It kinda hurts the eyes.
Second, the gradients are odd. Why would some area darken when it nears the light source? It gives the wrong illusion of depth, where the gradient area is 3D and the lightning is flat.. something like a fin on top of the head and also on the ... hair? Whatever that extension of the head is xD.

How about you play more with the thickness of your lightning and gradients. For the light, make it very bold where the light source is near it, in this case, top-left areas should have bold lines, like they are atm, but without the extra gradients. In dark areas, draw thin halo lines, but include bolder gradient.

Another nice thing is to play with the lineart too, where thinner lines represent lighter and bolder darker areas. That's part of my lineart style =).

The drawing itself is really good, but I don't like the shading o.o

First, it's not in the right places. If your light source is supposed to be top-left, then right sides have to be darker, where you have big fat lighter areas. I understand the small reflection that occurs in the shadows, that's a normal thing to implement, but just not this boldly. It kinda hurts the eyes.
Second, the gradients are odd. Why would some area darken when it nears the light source? It gives the wrong illusion of depth, where the gradient area is 3D and the lightning is flat.. something like a fin on top of the head and also on the ... hair? Whatever that extension of the head is xD.

How about you play more with the thickness of your lightning and gradients. For the light, make it very bold where the light source is near it, in this case, top-left areas should have bold lines, like they are atm, but without the extra gradients. In dark areas, draw thin halo lines, but include bolder gradient.

Another nice thing is to play with the lineart too, where thinner lines represent lighter and bolder darker areas. That's part of my lineart style =).

... You DO know that it's colored and shaded that way because that is how Sonic Adventure art is colored, right...? There is an example picture in Hydro King's reply to Electricbluewolf. In fact, for the lazy, this.

Last edited:

Hydro King

The Water Master
Thank you for pointing that out, Dark Trainer Ayrille. :) The official sonic art is just shaded that way for some reason...and I quite like it like that anyway, to tell ya the truth. But thanks for trying to help anyway, Tyr~ I might try doing something like that for a Pokemon drawing sometime. =D

Well, sorry for taking so long, but this here next drawing took a little longer than Knuckles. ^^; (it was the fur's falt!!!) It's also a might bigger than it too...heheh.
So for my second drawing, here's Tails:

BBBAAAWWWWW! I think you did a very good job! The exact SA style is pretty hard to match, but it seems you're doing it well. :3

Hydro King

The Water Master
You really think so? Thank you!! The head doesn't look right when compared to official artworks of Tails though. (Need to pat more attention I suppose) I guess I can't really blame my sketches for all the faults though. - I seemed to have more trouble shading Tails than Knuckles for some reason. =/ (it's the fur!!!)
But thanks again! *checks out Deviantart*

Hydro King

The Water Master
Update!

Okay, so I've decided to take a little break from SA drawings and give painting a shot. I never expected it to take so long though. ^^; Anyways, here's a painting of Knuckles:

You'll never guess who my favorite Sonic character is. :D

Rosemary

Sparkling Star
As I said before your drawings are real good for a beginner,on the tails one ,the left tail looks longer than the other,and the paint looks nice.

Hydro King

The Water Master
TheLupineOne said:
Erm... is it Bark the Polarbear?
No, wait... Marine the Raccoon?

OK, enough jokes about vague Sonic Characters. Sonic is the only one that matters in Needlemouse.
Oh yeah...Needlemouse... What you just mentioned is the main reason why I'm not so hyped about it. XD

Thank you, Rosemary. ^.^ I appreciate your comments.

Okay, so since this here thread doesn't seem to be all about SA drawings anymore, I've decided that I'm just gonna put all of my drawings in here. =P
Here's Flareon, Sugimori-style:

junpearl63

their rooms
Hehe, they're really great, I especially love the Sugimori style color. Knuckle's proportion is cool, but I think Flareon's body is a bit off. Too skinny perharps? Or is it just me?

Hydro King

The Water Master
lol Thanks, Jun! :) And yeah, is Flareon looking a little too skinny. Not only that though; the mane is too small and his eyes are kinda "off" in shape. But hey...not all Flareon are exactly alike. ^^; <<-lame excuse

Hydro King

The Water Master
Thanks! Glad to know there are more fans out there than just me. lol And...Tails is a "he". =P

Some more Sugimori-style art for fake eeveelutions: Noveon and Zephyreon-

These pics were made for a site called the Eeveelution Project. I will be making more art for the rest of the eeveelutions (including the official ones) later on. :)

Last edited: