• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Hmmm, PBR + possible updates?

Arande

Remembering the thread that was about "what if there was an expansion..." that somehow turned into an argument over what they can/can't do....

Well, I'm pretty sure you all got the notice from nintendo about if a game needs an update, you'll see a notice in the disc channel instead of the game title. (this is all assuming you updated your wii menu :p)

Thoughts? I know this doesn't necessarily mean anything for PBR. Just it wouldn't be impossible to have small updates, even if it's things like a small patch to blanket ban arceus and shaymin, or applying colliseum rules to wifi battles (wouldnt take a large file to tell PBR to have the sleep clause, and other colliseum rule flags to "on". It'd be no different than when you change these options in the customizable rulesets)

Good to see they plan on being able to patch games if need be.

Xweek

Diligent Shipper
Remembering the thread that was about "what if there was an expansion..." that somehow turned into an argument over what they can/can't do....

Well, I'm pretty sure you all got the notice from nintendo about if a game needs an update, you'll see a notice in the disc channel instead of the game title. (this is all assuming you updated your wii menu :p)

Thoughts? I know this doesn't necessarily mean anything for PBR. Just it wouldn't be impossible to have small updates, even if it's things like a small patch to blanket ban arceus and shaymin, or applying colliseum rules to wifi battles (wouldnt take a large file to tell PBR to have the sleep clause, and other colliseum rule flags to "on". It'd be no different than when you change these options in the customizable rulesets)

Good to see they plan on being able to patch games if need be.

No. If SSBB isn't getting patches/downloads, there's no way in hell that PBR is. All the update does is keep the disc on the same version as the Wii (remember that it updates itself) so you can play it full stop.

Last edited:

Arande

No. If SSBB isn't getting patches/downloads, there's no way in hell that PBR is. All the update does is keep the disc on the same version as the Wii (remember that it updates itself) so you can play it full stop.

Actually you can download custom stages in SSBB in the game itself already :X not sure if you can also watch other peoples recorded matches as well.

As I said, small things. Not like "new characters for brawl" level <_<

Xweek

Diligent Shipper
Actually you can download custom stages in SSBB in the game itself already :X not sure if you can also watch other peoples recorded matches as well.

As I said, small things. Not like "new characters for brawl" level <_<

Exactly. The data is ALREADY IN THE GAME. It won't have patches of new data. Ever. At all. As said by Sakurai.

So, no, Nintendo WON'T patch PBR.

Arande

Exactly. The data is ALREADY IN THE GAME. It won't have patches of new data. Ever. At all. As said by Sakurai.

So, no, Nintendo WON'T patch PBR.

So when does what one developer say for one game apply to other games? This is about PBR, not SSBB.

If the games update themselves with the wii menu, why the need for the notices? If you were referring to the wii updating itself, then why do we need to manually go to wii system update?

PSU has patches that are downloaded for consoles (PS2, Xbox 360) albeit they are small (changing the damage of attacks, fixing text boxes, mainly one that was used in scams) Heck, a random google for Halo xbox patch, reveals that it's been patched by downloadable patches before. So why would such things suddenly be "impossible"? I'm referring to little minor changes, ones that only need a few lines of code (the one mentioned for Halo 2 included setting an unlockable map to "unlocked" a simple flag change). Not things like new chars for brawl that would take a lot more data.

Odd thing is going through the halo patches, I noticed quite a few mentioning of "downloaded maps" which, if they were on the origional CD, why are they downloadable? Upon further poking around, here's an article about bungie changing melee fighting in halo 3.

So there's evidence of patches and larger updates for console games not on origional CDs in the past, showing yes. It is possible. + the notice = topic about thoughts on how this could affect PBR, not a "yes they can no they can't" deterrent, which is probably why the first thread disappeared.

Last edited:

NoDice

The Sandstorm Slayer
Nobody really knows how Wii Ware will work, or how the newly announced "pay to play" online service for the Wii wiil work either. That being said IT IS possible for DLs as small as a textbox or as big as a NEW character for Brawl. Just because Brawl may not be getting any DL content doesnt mean other games wont. Nintendo would be foolish to overlook, and not try to remedy their Downloadable Content problem when both of their competitors ARE offering that and it IS a success. Nintendo has a track record of going their own route, but in this instance I believe that they are just approaching DL content in a different way- to save us, the consumers, money- as well as effectiently delivering the content without making it take up too much space on the little systems flash drive/SD cards. This also may take more time since the Wii wasnt initially intended to be a memory *****.

Hitsugaya

Lone Wolf
If this was true, don't you think it should've happened by now? The Wii doesn't seem to have the capacity to download additional elements, anyway, but if it did, then Game Freak would have added that Story Mode for PBR by now.

Xweek

Diligent Shipper
Halo 3 is XBOX 360, which has far more advanced online capabilities. SSBB is Nintendo's BIGGEST upcoming project, so if they aren't prepared to patch that, they won't be prepared to patch such a "mediocre" title as PBR.

Murra Myrrh

First 5th Gen Shiny!
You know, I hope there will be updated for PBR. I am so tired of lvl 50 battles. Why lvl 50?! TT_TT
If Microsoft can do it, why not Nintendo? It's a brilliant idea. But what ever. I am thinking they won't ever have updates for games and all that cool stuff like they do for Halo.

BCVM22

If Microsoft can do it, why not Nintendo? It's a brilliant idea.

Because in terms of the hardware components needed to facilitate downloadable additional content, the 360 has just about everything the Wii does not. To use "one can do it, why not the other?" as an argument is a logical fallacy of immense proportions.

It's funny to think that Nintendo announces that certain games will, in the future, eventually get downloadable add-ons, and immediately everyone assumes that "certain games" automatically, positively means a bare-bones, year-old, cash-in game like PBR.

GYMLeague16

Faster than you
you guys talking about how the Wii cant do this stuff are probably right, but im still hoping theyll upfate something on PBR, atleast the lvl50-all, there should be an option were you can have it at its regular lvl

BCVM22

Think about the New Giratina form .-.
I do think they are going to Patch it

Who said the models for the new Giratina form weren't already in the game?

They are not going to be modifying this game in any way. The sooner this fact is accepted, the sooner everyone can move on.