• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

HO in the Metagame Today

Aquadon

TCG Trainer
Remorph got me thinking. IF (and only IF) HO takes off, I could see a surge of Brick Break to be used against someone who attempts to set up, that way Screens are gone and next thing you know the sucker's frail as all hell. Granted it might not be the best move, but if someone attempts to set up a Scrafty or Cloyster Brick Break is going to hurt.

Witch of 'Cos

i love the pee pees
HO is just something for bad players to utilize. I could probably 6-0 half the people who think HO is good with my Stall Team. But, HO is the most interesting thing in the Metagame as of right now. So, even though it is mindless and retarded, I may try it just to s*** on noobs.

damn, buddy, no need to be so pro x)

Gamefreak

HO is just something for bad players to utilize. I could probably 6-0 half the people who think HO is good with my Stall Team. But, HO is the most interesting thing in the Metagame as of right now. So, even though it is mindless and retarded, I may try it just to s*** on noobs.

I am definitly not a bad player, and I stopped running HO on a daily basis a long time ago. Are Stathakis, Reyscarface, and Somalia bad too? I am pretty sure you wouldn't be able to 6-0 them with stall, no offense.

Also, I beat plenty of bad players using stall with a well played Mix Nite so is stall for bad players too? A playstyle is different from a player's skill level. I played a lot of really bad people running stall or Bulky Offense too.

complete legitimacy

pack that fudge
Well, I guess if you were helping somebody make a team, you wouldn't suggest Hyper Offense. But if that person wanted to use it, it is possible to do well with it (of course not everyone does but isn't that true for anything). There are just more reliable teams to play with.

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
HO has helped me really get rising on the ladder. I was in the seven thousands a week ago, but I'm in the 1200 ladder positions.

I find Deo-S to be better at getting screens and taunting than Espeon. I also note that Keldeo and Infernape also do great. But then there's SubPetaya Empoleon. That thing wrecks everything, I tell you.
Scizor also does great with the un-immunitied priority.

Oh, he has a badge on Smogon now. :)

Him, and a few others decided to migrate to Smogon. Some still visit at times though. Skynet is usually on xat.

Oh. Then I should go visit him at the xat. He was, as I said before, really cool. I know he had gone to Smogon, though. I remember when he first posted his HO team. He had gone to Smogon for a tutor or something and learned HO from Stathakis (I'm probably writing it wrong but meh), the guy with the Blastoise avatar. He was really funny. I also met Rey out of the guys you mentioned. I first met him in TU. He was a really cool guy. I remember I let him win a match on a tournament since I haxed him (I think) and he wanted to win the thing or something. I didn't let him win because of who he was (or is idk) or all that but because really funny. And now that I think about it, I did met Somalia once. The guy (or girl idk) helped me out with a team a disgusting amount of time ago. I remember was a team of mine with Celebi but nothing more xD. He liked helping people out, that's cool. Did he get badges and fame and all that as well? Sorry about that trip through memory lane, but it was actually fun to remember all that ;p

But yeah...

HO may appear mindless compared to stall but my opinion differs.

With Team Preview, you get the chance to look at all 6 of your opponent's team. You can then take a few seconds to try and identify the opponent's team's biggest threats, and then identify which of your own Pokemon you need to 'save' in order to deal with said threats. You need to identify which Pokemon you are going to use as a lure and subsequent sacrifice in order to find space to set up.

Just earlier I was battling a sand team. Obviously Excadrill was present. I knew he'd bring it out late game, so I needed to save my Keldeo, even though Tyranitar is perfect set-up bait for it. I needed to resist the temptation to switch in Keldeo and go on a little sweep b/c I knew in the late game he'd send Drill in and nothing I have could check it. In short, I used Infernape's Grass Knot to counter the Tyranitar, and his final Pokemon WAS the Drill, mine Keldeo, he used Ariel Ace, I use Secret Sword and win. The only reason I won that battle is because I was visualising the final stages of the battle, even though it was only the beginning of the battle.

There is nothing mindless about literally having to 'visualise' almost the entire game within a few short seconds in order to achieve maximum success with HO. And it's certainly not mindless compared to 'Set up Toxic Spikes, set up spikes, set up ST, use whirlwind, use roost, use recover, use protect, use roar'.

Whilst the same could be said about HO - 'Use Swords Dance, use Bullet Punch, use Bullet Punch, use Bullet Punch', the fact is, a skilled HO player needs to know when to use what sweeper, when to sacrifice it and yes, even when to SWITCH it. It requires a player to see the battle as a whole, it needs a player to look more turns ahead than any other play style.

Thus, HO requires as much, or maybe even more, effort as any other style of play; the only difference is it wins in less turns ;)

You know man, I don't want to come of as a jerk but that's not that great. Don't get me wrong, you did what you were supposed to do, you saw his team, noticed he had a threat to your team and so kept what stopped it. Ok, so? The one thing that really kept HO from being "mindless" was that you had to actually make choices depending on what saw from your opponent's team bit by bit. Now, with team viewer, you don't even have that. To be honest, I had forgotten Team Viewer existed. This makes HO just plain stupid, in my opinon. Mindless, whatever. I mean, you know since before the first turn of the game exactly what you're going to do and just go through the motions. You don't make choices since there are no options to consider. There's no surprise so you just attack, attack, attack. I didn't like that definition HO since it was true that you had to think ahead and what not but, really, in my opinion, that's an accurate definition. Thinking ahead isn't that much of a "something to be proud of" anymore (I completely forgot the word I'm looking for x_x) since what made it skilled was that in the course of the game you see something that's a threat and play around it, choosing what you'll switch next and the like, but now Team Viewer makes it so you don't need that on the go thinking and planning but rather just go through the motions. You know how you go to the Elite Four in-game and you know exactly what pokemon they have, what pokemon you'll use for that pokemon and what'll happen? Yeah, it's kind of like that, except that, you know, your opponent isn't an AI. You just have to "attack, attack, attack" just like in-game.

Gamefreak

Oh. Then I should go visit him at the xat. He was, as I said before, really cool. I know he had gone to Smogon, though. I remember when he first posted his HO team. He had gone to Smogon for a tutor or something and learned HO from Stathakis (I'm probably writing it wrong but meh), the guy with the Blastoise avatar. He was really funny. I also met Rey out of the guys you mentioned. I first met him in TU. He was a really cool guy. I remember I let him win a match on a tournament since I haxed him (I think) and he wanted to win the thing or something. I didn't let him win because of who he was (or is idk) or all that but because really funny. And now that I think about it, I did met Somalia once. The guy (or girl idk) helped me out with a team a disgusting amount of time ago. I remember was a team of mine with Celebi but nothing more xD. He liked helping people out, that's cool. Did he get badges and fame and all that as well? Sorry about that trip through memory lane, but it was actually fun to remember all that ;p

But yeah...

That was a very interesting story. :)

Applebutter2, Bulldogs, Mail Time, Lunar22, Skynet, myself and such left and managed to get badges. So I guess we have some degree of "fame" although not very much except maybe 1-2 people in that list.

In a matter of fact, we have AromaFlora with a couple of badges on Smogon. She also comes here. We also had Jumpluff, who is like.. a really really good user on Smogon now and was a moderator here.

We also have some dudes from Serebii which have checkmarks and are on verge of getting a tiering contributor badge. So its almost like Serebii has a little crew of former members who went to Smogon and are doing well, while a few still come here as well.

That was a very interesting story. :)

Applebutter2, Bulldogs, Mail Time, Lunar22, Skynet, myself and such left and managed to get badges. So I guess we have some degree of "fame" although not very much except maybe 1-2 people in that list.

In a matter of fact, we have AromaFlora with a couple of badges on Smogon. She also comes here. We also had Jumpluff, who is like.. a really really good user on Smogon now and was a moderator here.

We also have some dudes from Serebii which have checkmarks and are on verge of getting a tiering contributor badge. So its almost like Serebii has a little crew of former members who went to Smogon and are doing well, while a few still come here as well.

Lol, Bulldogs. He knows I say this with love but wow. Some guys here really have gotten better. I'm glad. I mean, I don't really care about badges and all but that's something big (I believe). Mail Time I remember vaguely but I do remember him. Lunar I have no idea who he is (sorry xD). AromaFlora, wut!! I don't remember her ;p Which ones still come here?

(Op, take our conversation as bumps :3)

GOLDENCRS

I'm a f***** Ponyta
I am definitly not a bad player, and I stopped running HO on a daily basis a long time ago. Are Stathakis, Reyscarface, and Somalia bad too? I am pretty sure you wouldn't be able to 6-0 them with stall, no offense.

Also, I beat plenty of bad players using stall with a well played Mix Nite so is stall for bad players too? A playstyle is different from a player's skill level. I played a lot of really bad people running stall or Bulky Offense too.

Well, I kinda said it wrong. What I meant is HO is way more simple than a standard team, which is easier for new players to catch on to and use. Meh, I kinda chose the wrong words in that.

RifleAvenger

See you starside
HO isn't my style, but it's as usable a style as any. As GameFreak said, a play-style is seperate from skill. Playing stall doesn't make me "good" (in fact, I'm terrible), and playing hyper offense doesn't make someone "bad."

Except in hax-outs, the player who wins is the stronger. What strategy they used to do it doesn't matter.

Ciliano

HO teams are not terrible, it just requires the player to be willing to take a lot of risks.