• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Hoenn Alone! (276)

pokemon fan 132

Episode itself was pretty subpar. We had Ash heading alone toward Hoenn leaving all pokemon behind and taking Pikachu with him. Only intriguing thing was TR and battle between Arbok and Weezing. I certainly didnt welcomed another overused scenario of good guys being paired up with TR having to overcome their differences and work together. Perhaps it would be more enjoyable if humans got paired(reason why i liked "Forrest Grumps") but seeing Pikachu and Meowth going on solo mini-adventure wasnt something to write home bout,although Hinter was fun and i guess TR magnet provoded half-decent reason behind Pikachu usual regress in strength at start of new region.

That's because some people only watched the show for Misty. If that's why they watched, then they clearly had no idea what the anime was about.

I actually wish there were more episodes at the end of Johto with Ash traveling alone for a while, like maybe 5 episodes of just training at Pallet or something before he headed off to Hoenn.

Maybe some,but majority of people which disliked when Misty left at end of Johto didnt watched this show only for this character with several not being even her fans. Reason was more because of original group itself being disbanded which was extremely popular among people finding they had great chemistry and dynamic together. When Misty was taken out they found how cast lost important member which brought humor, tension and balance with anime losing certain charm she brought and identity, which none of other females brought.

There is a reason why out of all existing groups in pokemon, biggest demand exists for original trio reunion. Out of all replaced girls biggest demand is for original girl return too,which explains many things.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
The majority of the fandom is not obsessed with the original trio. This is why Brock's departure was so well received and why Misty was never brought back as a main character after 10 years.

The fact that we've never had one says a lot.

pokemon fan 132

The majority of the fandom is not obsessed with the original trio. This is why Brock's departure was so well received and why Misty was never brought back as a main character after 10 years.

Thats because fandom changes with lot of today fans being new generation of kids which started following pokemon series past Johto. Needless to say it passed 9 years since their disband with people not talking about it so much like they used to when this was still recent. Majority of older fans and veterans is advocating for original trio reunion,with there being showed thousands of them(going by petitions, various sites etc)which wants Ash,Misty and Brock back for one more go.

Likewise whenever poll was made suggesting original trio return,more often than not majority wished that they get some last Hura together as group viewing fitting that those which started everything get some recognition.

Haunter ゴースト

from a group of Haunter.

Fine with me.

-----------------------------

In all seriousness though, this was a terrible episode to end the OS series on, it wasn't neccesserily boring but it was the fact it didn't really relate to anything and was all over the place from one minute Ash being on a boat, to fighting TR, to wild Pokemon, to Pikachu + Meowth teaming up etc. etc.

There was to much going on for the episode to take any focus.

A much better scenerio would have been (considering this is the first time Ash travelled abroad and alone to a region) Ash and Pikachu practically planning out there new journey.

A COTD could have been around telling him everything about Hoenn, showing him something on TV, pointing out a Legend/Myth in a book (Kyogre + Groudon) etc. etc.

It ultimately could have ended with Ash and Pikachu looking out at the sea thinking about their past in the OS, they notice Hoenn is approaching and TR come and hurt Pikachu (as they do in the episode) ultimately setting up the next episode for Pikachu having a fever.

That or a nice proper reunion episode with Ash's Pokemon and family.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Agreed. The last ep of Kanto had a big party at Pallet. Would have been much better than a boring filler plot like this.

The only important thing was Pikachu getting sick which continued into the next ep

Blessed

That's because some people only watched the show for Misty. If that's why they watched, then they clearly had no idea what the anime was about.

I actually wish there were more episodes at the end of Johto with Ash traveling alone for a while, like maybe 5 episodes of just training at Pallet or something before he headed off to Hoenn.

The anime is about Ash, yet Misty was a main character though and how can you say that? there are people who have watched AG & DP and still prefer the OS because of Misty.

I actually wish that too, except at the start of hoenn. Ash traveling by himself lets say idk 10 episodes, and then May appears.

You've said the same line for about a gazillion times. It is so clear that you find Misty to be overrated.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
Agreed. The last ep of Kanto had a big party at Pallet. Would have been much better than a boring filler plot like this.

The only important thing was Pikachu getting sick which continued into the next ep

But I liked that Ash was alone for once. Plus it showed that he had matured once he had got on land and met May. This is why I loved Hoenn because they made a slight change for Ash.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
The anime is about Ash, yet Misty was a main character though and how can you say that? there are people who have watched AG & DP and still prefer the OS because of Misty.

I actually wish that too, except at the start of hoenn. Ash traveling by himself lets say idk 10 episodes, and then May appe

You've said the same line for about a gazillion times. It is so clear that you find Misty to be overrated.

Well I still like Kanto and Orange, so you're right to an extent. As for a new series it's normal to see the female protagonist introduced right away. This is why Max didn't appear till the third ep and Brock to the fourth.

It would have been better to see the last 3 or so eps of Johto with Ash by himself pondering what to do next.

Are those wrong claims really nessecary? Many people want Brock back, that means his departure wasn't well received.

I didn't watch Pokemon just because of Misty, I got into it because of liking Butterfree as a little kid, when I saw Pokemon for the first time. I watched more of it because I liked Butterfree so much. The first episode I saw was "Challenge of the Samurai" But that doesn't mean I can't think Misty is an awesome character. And I didn't watch Pokemon just for Misty, I also gave the newer series, without Misty, a fair chance, and I hate them.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Are those wrong claims really nessecary? Many people want Brock back, that means his departure wasn't well received.

A small group of people VS. millions who watch the anime. Seeing random comments on forums doesn't represent the millions who watch the show.

pokemon fan 132

Pretty much true, from what i noticed going by online fanbase on various sites it seems how biggest demand is for Brock and Misty return which just shows how popular and well liked they are. Of course other characters are popular too,but it seems original trio left bigger impact on fans in general.

A small group of people VS. millions who watch the anime. Seeing random comments on forums doesn't represent the millions who watch the show.

True, so why are you using forums as indication of what was general consensus in fandom when Hoenn aired?

Anyway for episode itself, i thought concept of Ash being showed traveling alone is something refreshing and good for a change. However problem is that most episodes in which Ash was alone were rather dull,not being known for some notable character interaction or comedy. After all for conversation at least two people are needed, being probably reason why we never saw Ash traveling alone for more than one episode at max.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Pretty much true, from what i noticed going by online fanbase on various sites it seems how biggest demand is for Brock and Misty return which just shows how popular and well liked they are. Of course other characters are popular too,but it seems original trio left bigger impact on fans in general

No, it really isn't. Its the #1 reason why Misty stayed gone and didn't get a return after 10 entire years and 3 generations.

Surely the character would have returned right after Hoenn ended if the writers deemed her important or popular enough. Instead she not only stays gone, but eventually even her guest episode appearances stop altogether after mid-AG. The fact that she hasn't even been given an episode in 6 years accounts to that.

Oddly enough even Tracey has a more recent appearance than Misty does, given he appeared in AG191 and Misty didn't.

pokemon fan 132

No, it really isn't. Its the #1 reason why Misty stayed gone and didn't get a return after 10 entire years and 3 generations.

Surely the character would have returned right after Hoenn ended if the writers deemed her important or popular enough. Instead she not only stays gone, but eventually even her guest episode appearances stop altogether after mid-AG. The fact that she hasn't even been given an episode in 6 years accounts to that.

Oddly enough even Tracey has a more recent appearance than Misty does, given he appeared in AG191 and Misty didn't.

Reason why Misty hasnt appeared for so long has nothing to do with popularity of character or impact she left. Otherwise you could make same point about May and other previous characters which are ignored for longer periods of time.

Thing is writers are basically writing themselves in corner having so many previous characters on their hands,that it would be rather out of place and hardly doable to have them all appear in on region. Ash so far had, what? 8 traveling companions and still counting,with constant character cycling causing several older well liked characters to be ignored regardless of potential and open things which are waiting in their stories to be tied up.

As we all know writers could care less what fanbase wants ,and it only depends on them if Misty is going to return at some point or not. Same goes for any ex traveling companion.
Doesnt change fact that Misty is one of most popular characters pokemon series had with thousands of people demanding her return. Methinks there must be a reason why her departure caused bigger lift of dust than it was case with any character which left cast after her? Her cameos in Hoenn were among highest rated episodes which says a lot. You could ask Dogasu about accurate percentage,im sure he will be able to find it out.
Not to mention some books portrayed her as important and integral character of original series along with Brock and Ash which left big impact on fandom. Such as "Japanification of Children popular culture".

Bulba the Great!

We Do Not Sow
Wow, what an awkward way to transition to Hoenn. For a guy who misses his Johto team so much (in this episode he mourns the loss of Noctowl and Bayleef, and misses Bayleef again next episode), Ash didn't even say goodbye to any of his Johto team. This episode would've been much better suited to at least the first half being his final adventure with his Johto Pokemon. I know the writers were kicking themselves for creating such a shoddy team, but they were still Ash's Pokemon for an entire saga.

Instead we get a filler about some random island with random KANTO (Not Johto, or Hoenn Pokemon) creatures with their petty problems which clearly aren't that bad because they're resolved in three seconds.

The writers get much better about pacing...kinda...after Johto.

UnbelievableUrsula

Cute and Creepy!
I wish people wouldn't say who's the best girl and who's not. It makes me think that all of the others hard work was for nothing. I wish there was more understanding behind this episode. She wasn't replaced she was just moved. We still saw her again after that. However, since the games were changing with Contests they had to make a few changes too, doesn't mean it was bad. However, I have to admit this episode was emotional but it didn't make me stop watching. I still wanted to find out what happen and what new Pokemon was coming. Since they were sending us spoilers like crazy back then.

Ash Ketchum!

Pokemon Trainer
This is why Brock's departure was so well received

lol what? There are lots of people who miss Brock.

and why Misty was never brought back as a main character after 10 years.

Not trying to argue with you, going by that logic, May, Tracey or Max never returned as main characters, and May still keeps her popularity, and people like Tracey for what he was. Max is a totally different case though...

7threst

Well, the last episode of the original series and I really think the filler was quite well-done, but this was - if you think about it in story-wise - just a intermission-episode for the Hoenn region. Oh well, I liked it surprisingly.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
This episode was a terrible filler. Probably should have made an extra ep at Pallet over this. But having a saga known for its bad fillers ending on a bad one doesn't surprise me.

Nice to see Ash on his own though.