1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Hoenn League vs Kalos League!

Discussion in 'Animé Polls' started by Genaller, Oct 11, 2018.

?

Which was the better league conference?

1. Ever Grande Conference

32.3%
  2. Lumiose Conference

64.5%
  3. They were equal

3.2%
  1. Genaller

Genaller May 16th 2016 - October 12th 2019

This seems like a fairly divisive topic. On the 1 hand Hoenn had a much greater quantity of battles and felt far less disconnected than Kalos (only skipped 1 of Ash’s matches) though Kalos easily had a weighted overall superior quality of battles (where a battle gets more weight the more time it was given) especially when Hoenn had trash like Ash vs Morrison which was a glorified 6 vs 4 and the 2nd worst full battle in the show’s history behind only Ash vs Cameron. This is how I’d rank all fully shown battles:

1. Ash vs Alain
    2. Ash vs Sawyer
    3. Ash vs Tyson
    4. Tierno vs Sawyer
    5. Ash vs Katie
    6. Ash vs Clark
    7. Tyson vs Vivica
    8. Ash vs Dominick
    9. Alain vs Trevor
    10. Morrison vs Gavin
    11. Ash vs Gilbert
    12. Morrison vs Jump
    13. Ash vs Morrison

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  2. ash&charizardfan

ash&charizardfan Humanity's greatest soldier

I say they both have there own positives, while kalos league have ash vs alain and ash vs sawyer which thumped any battle in hoenn league it was just too rushed whereas hoenn league had double battles which i have always liked, not to mention all the matches were onscreen and not cut short and it had some good matches but it also didn't have great matches that compare to those two ash's KL matches except for ash vs katie. So i would say they are about even with slight edge to HL.

3. Genaller

Yeah just going to point out that they skipped 1 of Ash’s double battles in the HL not to mention that 2 of the 3 double battles weren’t even treated like double battles but instead 2 simultaneous 1 vs 1s. It’s not nearly as disconnected as Kalos (yes this is the actual word that best represents the main criticism of the KL; not “rushed”) though it still severely underperforms in other areas like giving us a garbage glorified 6 vs 4 in Ash vs Morrison.

4. Akkipeddi

Akkipeddi Gold Experience

Quality over quantity for me. Yeah sure, I would've liked to see another Ash battle in the Kalos League, but Ash vs Sawyer and Ash vs Alain rank as some of the best battles this anime has seen. Furthermore, Sawyer vs Tierno, and that last battle of Mega Garchomp vs Mega Charizard X were pretty nice too. Also, Hoenn League has Ash vs Morisson, which was really bad, so that actually gives it negative points. Ash vs Tyson and Ash vs Katie were pretty nice, but don't hold a candle to the quality of the 3 battles we saw in Kalos.

Xuxuba and Genaller like this.
  5. Hanto

Hanto Water Addiction

Oh, I wish we could see the battle with Astrid, she looked pretty cool and gave me some Katie-vibe. However, Sinnoh League > Kalos League > Hoenn League

6. PokemonBattleFanatic-

PokemonBattleFanatic- Standby for Battle!

Ash vs Katie/Ash vs Tyson/Ash vs Morrison/Ash vs Clark>>>Kalos League

7. Xuxuba

Xuxuba Well-Known Member

Like people said before, Ash vs Sawyer and Ash vs Alain are definetly two of the best battles in the anime. The Kalos League could have had more battles, but i was satisfied with the ones it had.

Meanwhile, i would say the Hoenn League was one of the most underwhelming leagues. Most of the rivals came out of nowhere instead of being properly developed. Morrison only appeared at the 118th episode of the series and the few episodes he stayed, he suddenly became Ash's BFF and that felt really forced. It was clear they did that just to add all that unnecessary drama which hindered the quality of the battle since Morrison wouldn't do sh** for half of the fight.

Not to say i didn't like the Ash vs. Tyson battle, but i believe the build up to it was really weak and didn't really make me care about the outcome as much as it could've.
    Regarding the other battles, i would't necessarily say they were bad, just kind of forgettable, since there was nothing special about them.

Genaller likes this.
  8. Mr. Reloaded

Mr. Reloaded An enigma

Kalos league had the one legitimately good fight with Sawyer that was also probably the best animated fight in the series and that was the peak.

The league was a rush job that came at the cost of showing any of the fights before the quarter finals, all to justify Ash being in the finals and make room for the Team Flare conclusion. It's not bad because Ash lost, it's bad because it's was massively mishandled.

The Ever grande conference had zero of these issues and had interesting things and ideas to show. Tyson's Meowth was awesome, Glalie beat a Charizard lmao, it was fun, it was interesting. Kalos was only fun if watching Raichu get stomped by a mega is your kink lol.

9. shoz999

shoz999 Sonic's the name! Speed's my game!

I'm gonna choose the Kalos League just because the build-up to the Kalos league is easily ten times better than anything Hoenn had. In fact, I'm going to be frank but I think the 3rd generation of Pokemon animation is the most boring generation of Pokemon animation ever. A very anticlimatic villain plot, tons of repetitive filler, lots of last-minute rivals, not a lot of Hoenn Pokemon captured etc. In fact I don't think it's entirely bias as while the Gen 3 games manage to have consistent profits near Emerald, the anime got hit by the decline worst, forcing the animation crew to experiment with storytelling more often in future seasons. It's from this that Gen 3 is arguably the "last" season that continued the repetition of it's predecessors, Kanto and Johto.

Xuxuba likes this.
  10. PokemonBattleFanatic-

PokemonBattleFanatic- Standby for Battle!

The true satisfaction I get out of watching the Kalos League is seeing Alain's Charizard stomp every pokemon in it's path and yes the Kalos League had better animation but in terms of pure battling I'm giving the nod to the Hoenn League.

I guess I'm a little biased with this pick since AG is my favorite series and I enjoyed Ash and his team in Hoenn.Alain vs Ash didn't seem any better than Ash vs Tyson and I honestly believe Ash vs Katie was better than all of the battles that happened at the Kalos League and that includes Ash vs Sawyer.

The only leagues that have a case over the Hoenn League is the Sinnoh League and debatably the Johto League,for the Johto League I'd say it's on par with the Hoenn League.

11. Xuxuba

Xuxuba Well-Known Member

I mean, if anything, cutting off the less important battles actually made things more exciting, since we didn't have to wait weeks of Ash defeating a bunch of nobodies to get to the battles that really mattered.

I wouldn't mind if Ash had actually fought Tierno or even Trevor tho, because at least they had a bit of a build up, but i guess the writers thought it was unrealistic to have Ash fight all his rivals while none of his rivals were actually fighting each other.

Genaller likes this.
  12. ash&charizardfan

ash&charizardfan Humanity's greatest soldier

ash vs sawyer was anyday better than ash vs katie, its not even a contest and MCX didn't stomp AG, it was close to its limit, dont even compare AG with torterra and electivire, also MS vs AG was more epic than infernape vs electivire.

Ash-Pikachu, Xuxuba and Genaller like this.
  13. Dragalge

Dragalge Ancient Gilbert

One of them had a man that literally punched a wall and sent Team Rocket flying with his fist.

I think I know what my choice is.

Thumbs2 likes this.
  14. 345ash-greninja

345ash-greninja Leader Of The Dai-Gurren

Quality wise: Ash vs Sawyer and Ash vs Alain >>> anything in the Hoenn League, period.

------------

Quality over quantity for me, as simple as that for me here.

The Hoenn League was much better paced and had plenty of battles, but literally none of them were too specular.

The Kalos League had poor pacing and less amount of battles, but the last 2 battles, a.k.a. Ash vs Sawyer and Ash vs Alain were epic battles in terms of fantastic animation, brilliant choreography, intensity and being better paced. Not to mention seeing way more stronger Pokemon clashing with each other compared to the Hoenn League, like Mega Charizard X, Ash-Greninja and Mega Sceptile, Kalos League Pikachu gave an extra intense vibe.

Not to mention a garbage messed up battle like Ash vs Morrison cuts away some points from the Hoenn League.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  15. janejane6178

janejane6178 XY over SM (ew) ANYDAY!!!! <3 (Anything actually)

Kalos league FTW <3333
    But I didnt like the ending =[

SH65 and Xuxuba like this.
  16. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ Caulifla v.s. _______

The beginning of it was worse lol. Everyone should have been expecting Ash to lose anyways.

janejane6178 likes this.
  17. janejane6178

janejane6178 XY over SM (ew) ANYDAY!!!! <3 (Anything actually)

I had this hope he will win=[

I loved that Serena took his hand and told him to come to the league or he will be late...
    Oh Serena <3

18. Genaller

Pokegirl Fan~ likes this.
  19. keepitsimple

keepitsimple rigged the kalos league

i mean
    is ash vs cameron even a full battle really? :^)

you could say ash vs morrison was the WOAT full battle on the basis that 6 vs 5 isn't a full battle ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

anyway kalos . the battles were far more exciting. other than Hoenn showing more of the beginning, is there any reason to prefer the hoenn league besides blind nostalgia?

Genaller likes this.
  20. Genaller

Well it depends; does Ash vs Tobias count as a full battle since that was basically a 6 vs 2? If yeah, then Ash vs Cameron counts with Cameron having won 6-4 but if not then sure Ash vs Morrison is the WOAT battle where all 6 Pokémon of both trainers were used.

keepitsimple likes this.