• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Hoenn League vs Kalos League!

Which was the better league conference?

• Total voters

keepitsimple

site of lies
Well the difference is Tobias actually brought 6 while Cameron didn't which is what i meant ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ eh not important anyway just a thought

Genaller

Silver Soul
Well the difference is Tobias actually brought 6 while Cameron didn't which is what i meant ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ eh not important anyway just a thought
Well I mean it was still officially acknowledged as a 6 vs 6. Who’s to say Cameron couldn’t have quickly gone to the nearby Pokémon center to get another Pokémon just like Ash did against Elesa ¯\_(ツ)_/¯?

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
hoenn-better structured
kalos-better battles

Apslup

Feelin' Fine.
While the Hoenn League had a more battles, Kalos' battles were better, which just comes down to more experience from the Anime staff and better animation as time goes on. However, some of the Hoenn League battles are great, mostly referring to Ash vs Tyson and Ash vs Morrison (mostly because Morrison is voiced by Masako Nozawa in the Japanese version, the Japanese voice of Goku, Gohan, Goten and Bardock in Dragon Ball since the show started in the 80's and she's amazing).

Genaller

Silver Soul
While the Hoenn League had a more battles, Kalos' battles were better, which just comes down to more experience from the Anime staff and better animation as time goes on. However, some of the Hoenn League battles are great, mostly referring to Ash vs Tyson and Ash vs Morrison (mostly because Morrison is voiced by Masako Nozawa in the Japanese version, the Japanese voice of Goku, Gohan, Goten and Bardock in Dragon Ball since the show started in the 80's and she's amazing).
Wait really Morrison was voiced by Nozawa? Huh... now it makes a lot more sense why Schemmal of all people voiced him in the dub.

blizzardblaze

Comp. Battler Who loves The Anime
The Kalos League is easily the best League so far in my opinion, although I've had a few nitpicks with it, such as the pacing and how rushed it was, and it was just so BEAUTIFUL to see the action!! Hoenn was pretty nice as well, but the action in that didn't feel as fast paced or as intense as this league was in terms of battles. Also, good filler in between important league matches.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
The Kalos League is easily the best League so far in my opinion, although I've had a few nitpicks with it, such as the pacing and how rushed it was, and it was just so BEAUTIFUL to see the action!! Hoenn was pretty nice as well, but the action in that didn't feel as fast paced or as intense as this league was in terms of battles. Also, good filler in between important league matches.
Eh, a lot of battles were rushed and the pacing of the League was really poor, so despite having two incredibly animated and spaced out full-battles, I personally won't call it the best League.

Sinnoh League had epic battles (including an epic rivalry climax 3 parter battle) + significant amount of Ash battles + really good pacing, so IMHO that's easily the best League ever.

Last edited:

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
FULLY agree. The battles were freshing and featured nice Pokemon

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Eh, a lot of battles were rushed and the pacing of the League was really poor, so despite having two incredibly animated and spaced out full-battles, I personally won't call it the best League.

Sinnoh League had epic battles (including an epic rivalry climax 3 patter battle) + significant amount of Ash battles + really good pacing, so IMHO that's easily the best League ever.
I hope we one day get another 3-parter

Ash-Pikachu

Hoenn League had a fair amount of qualities going for it including its pacing, interactions between different characters (specifically Morrison and Ash) which made their relationship more believable, and plenty of battles to watch. However, Kalos League absolutely blows the Hoenn League out of the water. The build-up leading up to the Hoenn League was subpar compared to the Kalos League. While it was cool to see Ash use his lifelong companion in the first battle to begin his endeavor within the Hoenn League, it was infinitely better having both the champion and Elite Four Malva enter the league to watch in anticipation for what is to come and have Ash showcase Ash-Greninja in which the world has never seen. Ash additionally had plenty to prove to both Alain and Sawyer, especially the latter who had overcome him despite being vastly inferior when they first encountered which invokes greater tension and conflict between Ash and makes it all the more fulfilling when Ash finally wins. Ash not having time to develop these tense rivalries in the Hoenn League diminished much of the tension and satisfaction of Ash's victories within the league. The only rivalry that piqued my interest was Morrison's, but his battle became horseshit when it turned into a glorified 6v4 match in which Ash would've lost had Morrison battled seriously.

Then of course, the battles in the Kalos League were not simply better because of animation quality, but because of the pacing, choreography, and tension. We had complete individual battles such as Noivern vs. Salamence, Pikachu vs. Aegislash, Pikachu vs. Metagross, Hawlucha vs. Weavile, and Pikachu vs. Metagross whilst majority of the actual sub-battles within both major battles of the Hoenn League (vs. Tyson and Morrison) were completely rushed. The climax of each battle was poorly written and I'm tempted to argue that Pikachu vs. Meowth was one of the most underwhelming and rushed final battles within the anime. We had a few movement clashes between the two and the battle was over quickly while we had several intense move-clashes that gradually built up to even stronger attacks (such as the final Water Shuriken vs. Blast Burn attack) that occurred over a longer duration which gives the impression that each battle were realistic struggles in which both sides were not budging. Greninja vs. Charizard felt satisfying to watch in spite of Ash's defeat while Pikachu vs. Meowth was over so quickly that I was left disaffected of the whole thing.

Kalos League was significantly better. Better build-up, better battles, and greater tension.