• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Hoenn Region Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbApplejack

Whitney's Protege
It's bad because it's shallow fanservice that takes a step back from superior gameplay just for the sake of being shallow fanservice. I've said it before, but if they're going to go that route, then they may as well get rid of the Repel prompt and multiple-use TMs.

All they're doing is going by the layouts of the cities. Can't just leave an empty lot where the pokemarts once stood.

Fayh

All they're doing is going by the layouts of the cities. Can't just leave an empty lot where the pokemarts once stood.
A missed chance to add an extra building with new content (handing out items, trading pokemon with NPCs, adding more lore, etc)is all I see.

I really wish they had not taken a step back.

dbApplejack

Whitney's Protege
Personally, I think this is just an overreaction but okay.

Meanwhile, I love what they did with the region. So many places just stand out from what they've shown.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo

Tell that to GSCHGSS Kanto. They wiped out an entire city, and more.

lavanda

Really feeling it
Whoa, too much fanservice hate. It's not like anyone is gonna rethink buying the game based on that. Plus it makes sense, the model in Unova and Kalos is Center with shop, while in the rest of the regions (which are far away from the other two, mind) it's the Center and Mart.

Lykouros

Sandslash fan
Tell that to GSCHGSS Kanto. They wiped out an entire city, and more.

I do believe you, but can you remind me which city(s) they left out? I forget.

Bringing back the marts may not be such a bad idea. We also don't know yet if they will serve an additional function of some sort; maybe the marts were moved to their original locations as a nod to the original games, but something that could have replaced the marts will now be situated inside the pokemon center. For example, if customization returns, perhaps we will be able to purchase clothing either inside the marts or inside the pokemon centers.

Ib4

Xenlon Cavalier
if you look closely, granite cave has two entrances, hopefully that means the back of the island has something under the clouds or at the very least, a bigger granite cave.

Both entrances open onto the same beach though, so unless the narrow beach to the west has a surf able area beneath it (unlikely) its probably just larger/redesigned.

- There's a cave entrance north of Lavaridge

That was in Emerald as Team Magma's base on Jagged Pass. Even if it's no longer a base the cave is likely similar.

I just noticed something I missed before. Mt. Pyre looks like it has multiple entrances along the side, like if u were going in and out to progress. Which reminded me of the bland victory road so itook a look at that. Its les obvious but theres just enough shading along the right side to look like entrances. Hopefully we exit the cave and get to climb across a steep cliff against the roaring waves, that would be beyond epic.

This was in the originals. Part of Mt. Pyre was a trail that led outside of the cave/graveyard towards the top. It looks larger but that's almost certainly just the artwork.

As for the clouds I agree with everyone saying the glare spot and purple clouds are hiding something. Also the alleged Battle Frontier cloud circle and the Sky Pillar area. Not so much the other clouds. The southwest and northwest cloud banks seem too far removed from any possible path to be viable, plus they are quite small. The northeast clouds are large enough to hold something but also appear to be outside of any paths and are close enough to Mossdeep to make boat travel to an island there unlikely (as the surf able area would just be expanded instead).
The southern and particularly the massive southeastern cloy banks are interesting because they have room for multiple sizable landmasses, and even two or three cities. The southeast could still be akin to the other four corners and not contain much if anything, but the mid south has a very peculiar shape for mere design purposes. My guess is that the southeast holds the Battle Frontier or its equivalent and nothing else, with nothing in the mid south, but i hope i'm wrong and we actually have a post game.

I do believe you, but can you remind me which city(s) they left out? I forget.

That would be Cinnabar, allegedly wiped out by a volcano between R/B and G/S

Lykouros

Sandslash fan
That would be Cinnabar, allegedly wiped out by a volcano between R/B and G/S

Ah, that's right; can't say I ever paid too much attention to the city anyway, since it was pretty small, but now that you mention it that's too bad they took it out.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Some mentioned that Mauville City has "walls" surrounding it, but I personally think that those dark lines around the city are meant to show depth, meaning that Mauville City could merely be elevated above its surrounding routes in OR/AS.

aerial_ace

I love the way hoenn looks in 3d. Yhe map does hint new locations which is awesome but majority of the map and towns layout stayed the same which is great. I was honestly fearing they would updade some of the bigger cities into lumiose like cities but it seems they kept it yhe same. This is something I liked most about hoenn- cities were small giving the tegion very tropical vibe.
Plus my favourite location of all times fortree city looks absolutely stunning!!
Flying beautiflies in the route is also such a nice touch.
Novembet cant come quick enough

Smeargle1987

Reckless Trainer
Yeah, Gamefreak :p
I am glad to see PokeMarts not fused in PokeCenters. They completely made it Hoenn Style.

This makes me wonder if character customisation will appear or not-having Pokemarts on the one side balanced out the dressing room on the other. Unless they have clothing shops on the poke mart side. Still,will be pretty annoyed if they drop customisation in this game....

Smeargle1987

Reckless Trainer
A missed chance to add an extra building with new content (handing out items, trading pokemon with NPCs, adding more lore, etc)is all I see.

I really wish they had not taken a step back.

I agree with this.They could have turned the Pokemarts into clothing stores. Maybe they have built some but i can't say until we know more

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
Ah, that's right; can't say I ever paid too much attention to the city anyway, since it was pretty small, but now that you mention it that's too bad they took it out.

There was Cinnabar, but there was also Viridian Forest, Mt. Moon, Cerulean Cave, the Pokémon Tower, the Safari Zone (in fairness, HGSS replaced it with the Pal Park), the Silph Co., the Seafoam Islands (in GSC), the Pewter Museum (in GSC), the Power Plant, and the Underground Paths; all of which were either closed off completely or downscaled to one or two floors.

HoennMaster

It's bad because it's shallow fanservice that takes a step back from superior gameplay just for the sake of being shallow fanservice. I've said it before, but if they're going to go that route, then they may as well get rid of the Repel prompt and multiple-use TMs.

LOL, no. It's that way because that's how it was in the originals. They didn't feel the need to come up with new buildings in 10+ towns. You are blowing this far out of proportion. A place to shop is far different than using TMs once or infinite time. Srsly, we don't even know if they made any changes to them.

There was Cinnabar, but there was also Viridian Forest, Mt. Moon, Cerulean Cave, the Pokémon Tower, the Safari Zone (in fairness, HGSS replaced it with the Pal Park), the Silph Co., the Seafoam Islands (in GSC), the Pewter Museum (in GSC), the Power Plant, and the Underground Paths; all of which were either closed off completely or downscaled to one or two floors.

And they did a great job with restoring a lot of areas with HGSS but there was no point in restoring Cinnabar.

Last edited:

Aielyn

View attachment 12777

no worries, I've already done it for u lol :)

Red: new areas
Blue: possible new areas or updated areas (more post game plsss)
Yellow: areas that look to be updated (the part near shoal cave with the purple arrows is because they moved the actual location of the cave further back, not much else is different.)
Green: WTF is that?!

I think you might have missed a few.

South of Meteor Falls, South-West of the volcano, there appears to be a clearing in the forest area with a structure of some sort.

East of Route 1, the forest has a lot more detail than in other forest areas.

Similarly, directly south of Fiery Path, the area seems to have a lot of extra detail.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
I agree with this.They could have turned the Pokemarts into clothing stores. Maybe they have built some but i can't say until we know more

Who knows? We don't know if Boutiques are now merged with PokeMarts.
Or the original contest halls are now boutiques rather than Battle Tents, leaving Lilycove as the main Contest location similar to Emerald.

Some mentioned that Mauville City has "walls" surrounding it, but I personally think that those dark lines around the city are meant to show depth, meaning that Mauville City could merely be elevated above its surrounding routes in OR/AS.

Nope. Look at this artwork: http://archives.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:Slateport_City_Mt_Chimney_artwork.png
This is Route 9, then Slateport, then Route 10 (and you can see the Cycling Road), then Mauville (walled), then Route 111-112, then Mt. Chimney.

HoennMaster

I think they might have kept the Battle Tents. I realize that the artwork isn't really that great of quality, but the buildings in Verdanturf and Slateport look round to me.

zhixun

Did anybody see that there is a Pokemart that is not in a Pokemon Center in all cities and towns? Nintendo took a step backwards!

I am not sure why Game Freak decides to do that. Pokémon Centres are much more important than Pokémon Mart since it is free to restore Pokémon's health there.

sheld999

I think you might have missed a few.

South of Meteor Falls, South-West of the volcano, there appears to be a clearing in the forest area with a structure of some sort.

East of Route 1, the forest has a lot more detail than in other forest areas.

Similarly, directly south of Fiery Path, the area seems to have a lot of extra detail.

there few at top of screen covered by clouds and there an unkown pokemon thing in the water

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Is it really that cringe-worthy that GF decided to keep the Pokemon Center and PokeMart separated considering it has originally been that way just to stay true to the originals?

Or convenience have spoiled you, guys?

First, the complexion issue, now something as petty as this... Seriously... the fanbase...

Status
Not open for further replies.